Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2012, 09:23 PM   #64021
Meter Man
Living on a prayer

Oddometer: 7,334
I've fallen back in love with the DR. Maybe I will pull it off the market....

Seems odd that I can't sell it for 15% below book value in Montana, land of the fireroad......
Meter Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 09:38 PM   #64022
LexTalionis
Inciteful

Oddometer: 428
WOW! You wore out your rear rotor in about 6,000 less miles (doing the conversion for the U.S. readers) than I wore out my OEM brake pads! I still had 3/32" left on my OEM brake pads and minimal rotor wear at almost 15,000 miles, when I replaced the pads.

You must spend most of your mileage off-road going downhill? My mileage is almost entirely on-road, mostly up/down foothills roads, so mostly front brake use.

I replaced my front OEM pads at 9,100 miles, rotor looked as-new.

I wonder if you fixed a fitment problem when you replaced the rotor. My KLR went through a set of rear pads surprisingly quickly; on inspection I found the brake pad backing plates binding in the caliper, had to hog out the mounting holes a bit.

Lex

Quote:
Originally Posted by BergDonk View Post
This any good style wise?
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Rear-Moto...item460177a4ea

I've got about 30,000 kms on mine now and works well. Seems to be wearing heaps better than the stock one which was trashed at about 15,000 kms

Steve
Old 05-08-2012, 09:52 PM   #64023
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,138
Quote:
Originally Posted by shu View Post
How do I edit the guy out of the title.
..........shu
Click 'Edit' on the bottom right of your post. Click 'Go Advanced' on the edit page, still at the bottom right.

Now below the edit window is a row of smilies, you'll see has been clicked. Unclick the button. Don't forget to edit out the rest of the title above the edit window. <--Don't know how he got up here, can't get rid of him

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -

ER70S-2 screwed with this post 06-19-2012 at 11:39 PM
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 09:53 PM   #64024
BergDonk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,033
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexTalionis View Post
WOW! You wore out your rear rotor in about 6,000 less miles (doing the conversion for the U.S. readers) than I wore out my OEM brake pads! I still had 3/32" left on my OEM brake pads and minimal rotor wear at almost 15,000 miles, when I replaced the pads.

You must spend most of your mileage off-road going downhill? My mileage is almost entirely on-road, mostly up/down foothills roads, so mostly front brake use.

I replaced my front OEM pads at 9,100 miles, rotor looked as-new.

I wonder if you fixed a fitment problem when you replaced the rotor. My KLR went through a set of rear pads surprisingly quickly; on inspection I found the brake pad backing plates binding in the caliper, had to hog out the mounting holes a bit.

Lex
Dunno why. I got the bike with 11,000 kms and pulled it apart and reassembled to my specs, ie lube everything and torque to spec etc etc and learn the bike. It came with stock pads that were junk so fitted EBC sintered at the time. A couple more sets since, and the stock disc as above. I do tend to use the rear brake a lot, but not so much down hills, the front is much better for that. I'm a rear brake dragger by nature. When I used to do lots of kms at Philip Island and Eastern Creek as a trainer/coach and ride day marshall I'd trash a set of rear pads in less than 1,000 kms on my ZX9R, ie 2 track days.

Dragging the rear brake gently in long corners with power on helps stabilise the bike and maintain drive. Also good in sand to slow down without loading the front to help tip in. Not so important on the low power DR650, but its how I ride. Defintely helps on my road bike, and FE650 Berg too. Slow down with front brake first, then rear brake, then as tipping in, ease front, but maintain rear. Open throttle at apex, or sooner, and release rear brake against throttle to manage drive on exit with brake balanced against throttle.

Steve
Old 05-08-2012, 09:54 PM   #64025
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexTalionis View Post

Mud. I'm guessing Berg's DR has seen a lot of mud riding. Mud is Hell on pads and rotors. Eats them up fast. I'd also bet he drags his rear brake a lot, as many off road racers do. (myself included)

I'm still on original rear rotor ... but I haven't measured it. It's most likely worn out. But so what? Just means it gets hot sooner. If it was warped, I'd change it. It's straight and true. I've only ridden a couple hundred miles in mud. I hate it.

I like the look of that Aussie Ebay one. Good price too.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 10:10 PM   #64026
fbga
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by ER70S-2 View Post

Lower your idle rpm, is the idle fuel screw stock? If stock, it won't look like this:

Wow, looks like your idle screw is waaaay out when compared to mine.
I'll snap a picture of mine tomorrow.
I bought the DR in Salt Lake City from a guy that had it jetted and tuned for the SLC elevation. Now that I moved to Houston I need to learn what needs to be done to make it run as is should at sea level...
Old 05-08-2012, 10:33 PM   #64027
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech23 View Post
If I had to guess, I'm thinking he lugs the engine too much, or the cush hub bearings are toast....or both.

Tech23
BadDogMax's post explained my issues exactly, so I joined in with my trouble shooting. You may have been talking to him, since he posted the video.

I'm not trying to cut in, but I'll add this: I'm an admitted short shifter. But this problem never occurred in the first 22,000 miles. There was no hint of this vibration. It started slowly after replacing the chain with a new EK. After a few thousand miles of that, I put on a new DID. The problem, although lighter at first, has continued. Both chains had/have a riveted master link, done slowly with many digital caliper checks while pressing on the side plate.

Analogy: when someone attacks your swingarm pivot with a jack hammer while riding, you'll know right away 'that ain't right'.

Both rear wheel bearings and the cush hub bearing are new (twice during this) and the hub cushions are also new. Both had zero impact on the problem.
Back to our regular programming.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 10:56 PM   #64028
TRAVELGUY
Old Traveler

Oddometer: 588
I'm guessing lugging the engine, also. Both my DR650 have made a simular noise when running constant speed at low RPM's. New/good chain or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GISdood View Post
That's where I'd place my bet. Any idea what condition your cush rubbers are in? I know that when I replaced mine with about 30,000km on the bike it made a noticeable difference towards smoothing out the ride while cruising on the hwy.
DR650 '07
TRAVELGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 11:15 PM   #64029
BadDogMax
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
Eek

Quote:
Originally Posted by GISdood View Post
That's where I'd place my bet. Any idea what condition your cush rubbers are in? I know that when I replaced mine with about 30,000km on the bike it made a noticeable difference towards smoothing out the ride while cruising on the hwy.
I've replaced the cush rubbers before on another bike, and these are as tight as new I'd say... the sprocket won't fall out when the wheel is tilted, it's tight in there.

The sprocket carrier has almost zero wiggle. Besides, wouldn't a loose bearing lead to side to side chain oscillation, not up down?

The bike has 4000 miles, has always been garaged, and the chain /cleaned lubed after every other ride. I checked for stiff links and didn't find any.

I'm voting for a resonance/oscillation like the Tacoma Narrows bridge disaster we were shown in physics class :

">
Old 05-08-2012, 11:23 PM   #64030
BadDogMax
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
Chain vibration video

I'll add that the video was taken while accelerating from 50-60MPH in 5th gear, with a 14t front sprocket. Not lugging it IMO.

I appreciate all the help and theories... maybe we can solve this thing!
Old 05-09-2012, 02:42 AM   #64031
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by acesandeights View Post
There are spacers in the front forks that either ride on top of or on bottom of the springs.
On top of the spring or under the damper rod.
NordieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 02:45 AM   #64032
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadDogMax View Post
- Front sprocket is a 14t, rear is stock.
Does it do it with the 15t?

My TT350 does it more with the 14 than 15. Although I think that's just because the chain is closer to the slider.

If you have either very loose, or tight links, it can accentuate the slapping.
Old 05-09-2012, 02:51 AM   #64033
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by baddogmax View Post
maybe i need something like this?

xt350?
Old 05-09-2012, 04:27 AM   #64034
sagedrifter
Southern Explorer

Oddometer: 1,410
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadDogMax View Post
I'll add that the video was taken while accelerating from 50-60MPH in 5th gear, with a 14t front sprocket. Not lugging it IMO.

I appreciate all the help and theories... maybe we can solve this thing!
I don't shift to 5th till 60 mph indicated to avoid lugging the engine when riding normal. I'll hold it longer in 4th when getting on the interstate etc. RPM is your friend when accelerating. It's a 650 single....

The 14 cs helps a bit, but the engine is not turning very fast at 50 mph indicated in 5th at all. The speedo is very generous. On my gps speed read out, when I get below 55 I go to 4th so I can accelerate at will without lugging. Add a hill and I stay out of 5th till actual speed is over 60 mph.

Sent from my GT-S5690L using Tapatalk 2

sagedrifter screwed with this post 05-09-2012 at 04:36 AM
sagedrifter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 06:05 AM   #64035
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,489
Quote:
Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
xt350?
was it the 428 chain that tipped you off?
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote