Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2012, 10:45 PM   #64096
motolab
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,387
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumlover View Post
+1
The BST carb doesn't like low RPM and can be tricky to get to work properly at low RPM. It can be fine tuned for better low RPM performance -- but it takes a "lot" of patience IMO. Playing with the needle, pilot screw, and pilot jets can help quite a bit, OR DRIVE YOU NUTS.
It does help when the fuel level is not high from a worn out float needle and the emulsion tube is not worn out.

Regards,

Derek
motolab is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 11:17 PM   #64097
TrophyHunter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,106
jessepitt....Congrats! Unfortunate that your local dealer is missing attention to detail and parts needs but it seems maybe you found a more helpful shop as a result. Enjoy the ride....again.

"It's a small amount of gas, but it represents a long walk" My Dad...
TrophyHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 12:10 AM   #64098
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessepitt View Post
So I changed the brand new oil out for brand new oil(ouch), but I'm glad I did, there was all kinds of junk in the filter. A lot of it looked like plastic, very little metal. I will change the oil again after a few hundred more miles just to be on the safe side.
After the oil change I stripped it down and removed the kick stand safety switch and clutch safety switch as well as removing the upper chain roller (filled the hole) and replaced the lower roller with a bearing type roller.

I took it for another spin after completing all of this and noticed an immediate improvement in shifting due to the semi-syn oil. I don't know what the dealership puts in there but based on everything else they do I imagine it is the cheapest crap they can get their hands on. I don't trust anyone at the dealer to know their a$$ from a hole in the ground so I plan on repacking all the bearings and re-torquing everything as time allows.
Brief rant: I paid six grand for a brand new bike and when I went to pick it up it was filthy! Not like it had been ridden but like it had sat around for a year (its an '11 so it did) and they had to truck it over from Nevada in a pickup and then didn't even bother to wash it. I also found it to be missing one of the little rubber exhaust stand-offs that bolts to the side plastic, hopefully they will get me one without hassle. Then when I went to the parts department to get oil change stuff they didn't have a filter in stock! They carry three different brands and were out of all three. I found one at the small bike shop near my house and got the same oil there for two bucks less per quart. I will not be going back to the dealer unless it is absolutely necessary. Rant over.
Sounds like your dealer crew are meth heads. I know we get a lot of that up near the CA/OR border.

But don't worry about greased bearings ... dealers don't do that. Dealers typically hire a "set up" company to uncrate new bikes and build them. The bikes are basically all built in Japan, only a few things are taken off for shipping.

The Set UP company install: batt, front wheel, brake caliper, handlebars, mirrors and seat, front cowl and side panels. They are supposed to "go over" the bike and check torque ... and then the actual selling dealer is required (by law I think) to do a PDI again before actual delivery to you.
If American Suzuki knew about the "dirty bike" they would have a word with your dealer. Unacceptable.

But good to double check tightness on important items. I have found loose caliper bolts, (this is a biggy), loose axle bolts, loose top stem nuts and loose triple clamp bolts. (do not over tighten these) Be sure to check tire pressures too!

The dealer oil i'm sure is OK. And it only did 40 miles ... so who cares?

Grease should be OK everywhere. Suzuki are pretty good. You won't find huge glops of grease ... but usually ... just enough.
This bike is no brainer easy! Have fun.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 12:48 AM   #64099
Phreaky Phil
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,733
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergDonk View Post
Does seem impressive for sure.

I've not long got home from a 4,800 km trip to the Flinders where I used a T63 up back and a Pirelli Scorpion Rally up front. The T63 is pretty much done, but the Scorpio Rally Front will go again and it works exceedingly well, very stable, predictable and controllable in the sand and gravel. It also wears square, so no cupping at all. I believe its my 'holy grail' front tyre FWIW. Better than the E09, 606 and MT21s used to date on the DR650, except maybe the MT21 will last a bit longer if its rotated, maybe.

Steve
I'm with you on the Scorpion Rally. I've got to import mine from Aussie. Pirelli NZ are to dumb to realize how good a tyre it is and to spite requests wont import them as stock, indent only. They seem to work well in all conditions. I have maybe 8000km on mine. Will be getting another one for our TAT trip.
Phreaky Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 03:35 AM   #64100
Heavy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 119
I like that. I'm surprised though...that much attention to detail and they accepted the cheesy looking heat-shield?

Quote:
Originally Posted by discoganya View Post
Found an interesting DR:

http://www.bikeexif.com/dr650-suzuki

Old 05-11-2012, 06:57 AM   #64101
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,832
Quote:
Well I picked up my new bike today. Then when I went to the parts department to get oil change stuff they didn't have a filter in stock! Rant over.

Anyway, I'm just all giddy and had to spill to people I new would understand.
Congrats on the NEW bike.

Rant back on: The fact that the dealer didn't have an oil filter really gets me. That filter fits soooo many models including quads. That is unexcusable. Stay away from them period. Drive to the next nearest Suzuki dealer even if it's 3 hours away. Thing is, with the internet, you can get any part you need delivered to your door within days. (and save gas money) If you have to drive to the dealer to find out they don't have it and then drive bck after it comes in, you've wasted time and money.

My dealer only had 1 fork seal in stock for my DR650, so I went 20 miles away to the next one and got a set. The seals are like the oil filters, they fit a lot of other models. I even went so far as to cross reference a Kawasaki seal the same size and they didn't have those either. I asked again about a year and a half later and the dealer had zero fork seals. Then the dealer wonders why people order off the internet.

Rant over again.

Fortunately we have ProCycle and Keintech for all kinds of stuff for our bikes and the support of all the people and knowledge amassed in this thread.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 07:31 AM   #64102
jessepitt
Ride More

Oddometer: 993
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket View Post
Congrats on the NEW bike.

Rant back on: The fact that the dealer didn't have an oil filter really gets me. That filter fits soooo many models including quads. That is unexcusable. Stay away from them period. Drive to the next nearest Suzuki dealer even if it's 3 hours away. Thing is, with the internet, you can get any part you need delivered to your door within days. (and save gas money) If you have to drive to the dealer to find out they don't have it and then drive bck after it comes in, you've wasted time and money.

Rant over again.

Fortunately we have ProCycle and Keintech for all kinds of stuff for our bikes and the support of all the people and knowledge amassed in this thread.

I would have ordered the filter from procycle but I wanted to get the oil changed immediatly after break in so I could ride it to work and take it camping this weekend so I found it locally. Unfortunatly things a pretty spread out here in central OR so the next actual Suzuki dealer is probably in portland. Fortunatly both of the little hole-in-the-wall bike shops had the filter I needed. Plus they were much more knowledgeable about motorcycles. The salesman I delt with a the dealer did not actually own a motorcycle and hadnt had one since the mid eighties. I got suspicious when all his MC stories were about his XL500 and he refer to it as his first bike in one story and his last in another. No one I talked to there knew as much about MC's as I or the average ADV member do and none had heard of ADV.
jessepitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 08:51 AM   #64103
Motodeficient
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 448
R6 Throttle tube

Question for you guys with the R6 throttle tube.

Whats the difference between these two part numbers?

5SL-26240-01-00

2C0-26240-00-00

They are both used on the R6, even across the same model years.

On the recommendation of some members in this thread, I have been using 5SL-26240-01-00 on my bike. I was told the R6 throttle tube 5SL-26240-01-00 would not have to be modified to work. I am on my third R6 throttle tube, and on every one I had to file the idle stop down quite a bit to make it work properly. Not a big deal, takes 2 minutes with a dremel.

Just wondering if maybe 2C0-26240-00-00 is the part number that works without modification?

EDIT:

Oops just did a little more research. Looks like 5SL-26240-01-00 is a black throttle tube from the R6s and has a smaller cam (slower throttle pull) than the 2C0-26240-00-00 which is a white throttle tube from the regular R6 and has a larger cam. Going to order a 2C0-26240-00-00 and see how it is.

Motodeficient screwed with this post 05-11-2012 at 08:57 AM
Motodeficient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 10:03 AM   #64104
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,913
I love experiments.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 10:26 AM   #64105
kobukan
almost gnarly

Oddometer: 1,698
Quote:
. . . I got suspicious when all his MC stories were about his XL500 and he refer to it as his first bike in one story and his last in another . . .
A Few Days Solo in Baja
kobukan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 10:31 AM   #64106
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 9,368
Quote:
I would have ordered the filter from procycle but I wanted to get the oil changed immediatly after break in so I could ride it to work and take it camping this weekend so I found it locally. Unfortunatly things a pretty spread out here in central OR so the next actual Suzuki dealer is probably in portland. Fortunatly both of the little hole-in-the-wall bike shops had the filter I needed. Plus they were much more knowledgeable about motorcycles. The salesman I delt with a the dealer did not actually own a motorcycle and hadnt had one since the mid eighties. I got suspicious when all his MC stories were about his XL500 and he refer to it as his first bike in one story and his last in another. No one I talked to there knew as much about MC's as I or the average ADV member do and none had heard of ADV.
Jess, Ill bet that battery has a minimal charge to it as well. Plug that sucker in and let it top up. They are supposed to do that as well. Most dealers dont and it can really shorten your batteries life.

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 10:33 AM   #64107
doug s.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,307
Quote:
Originally Posted by discoganya View Post
Found an interesting DR:

http://www.bikeexif.com/dr650-suzuki

there was one shown in the kneeslider a while back. (cool webzine, imo)

http://thekneeslider.com/archives/20...treet-tracker/

and the kneeslider documented a kit off a savage that you can build a *lot* cheaper than what deus bali sells their bikes for...

http://thekneeslider.com/archives/20...fe-conversion/
http://www.rycamotors.com/bikes/

of course, i am still a bit partial to my 'tarded dr650...

doug s.
doug s. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 11:04 AM   #64108
WilderRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,778
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olas View Post
That's good life out of a rear (semi) Knobbie...What are you using for the front?
WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOPS!

I realize my post did not specify and it is difficult to tell from the pic, but this IS the front. I should have been more specific. I was still just thinking I was getting pretty good mileage out of the front as well. Yeah, there is probably a couple thousand left, but I wanted to put on the new one I already had and at $27.00 not wasting a lot of money.
Old 05-11-2012, 11:12 AM   #64109
WilderRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,778
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Good Info!
Wow! 6400 miles!! That is certainly impressive mileage! I have a new SR 244 here, waiting for the right ride to use it. Sounds like the perfect Baja rear tire.

I've yet to have a 50/50 tire go beyond 4000 miles at best.
Your tire still looks not so bad, maybe 2000 miles or so left? A little flat spotted, but useable in a pinch for sure.

Had no idea the 244 was so tough. Stock Trailwing got me less than 3000 miles. (rear tire) IRC GP-1, about 3500 miles.

Did you ride your DR650 from Colorado down to Mexico and back? What off road sections did you ride in Baja? Did you go all the way to La Paz? How was the Shinko in deep sand? What tire did you run up front?

How was the tire's behavior on the road after about 4000 miles? Any squirm or movement? Reaction to rain gruves or irregular pavement?

My idea would be to run either a D606 or TKC80 up front and the Shinko 244 on the back. The knobby front really helps sand riding.
What do you think?

Whoops, like I just said above, I should have specified that this was the front. Sorry.

But the rear 244 is what I had on there on by Baja trip. It had 5,000 miles when I took it off. There was a little bit of life left in it. It was a great Baja tire.

The both tires were fine even after 4,000 miles. I took them both to Moab to keep wearing them down and they were fine.
Old 05-11-2012, 11:19 AM   #64110
plugeye
mc caregiver

Oddometer: 3,552
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy View Post
I like that. I'm surprised though...that much attention to detail and they accepted the cheesy looking heat-shield?

haha. the whole machine looks like shit to me
plugeye is online now   Reply With Quote