Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2012, 09:48 AM   #64096
Escaped
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 392
[QUOTE=ER70S-2;18655883]I'm using a new oem 3 bolt retainer and the stock damping ring.

Last year I had a loud, annoying vibration going on at about 70 mph in 5th. After a lot of farting around I eliminated the problem with a a new 525 chain and sprockets and going back to the 3 bolt retainer (from a 520 chain and jesus clip).

Good luck, I have not read all the post related to this problem but i know someone else posted about a similar vibration problem and it turned out to be a loose bearing behind the clutch basket.

DR650 - Living the Dream!
Escaped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 09:52 AM   #64097
Escaped
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rook85 View Post
2 Years with the DR time for some upgrades.

Suspension thinking of putting a set of Ricor intiminators up front and possibly a stiffer rear spring. (intiminators seem reasonable $170ish and dont require a more in depth install 'emulators") thoughts?

Any thoughts?
I just did this upgrade to the front- very good results and easy!

Good Instructions with pictures:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=468588

DR650 - Living the Dream!
Escaped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 10:43 AM   #64098
fizzerfz1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 756
NSU Question...

Finally did my NSU fix this past weekend. Mine is a 2008 with 8k miles and the screws were loose. They would have come off by themselves if I had stared at them long enough.

I just removed and cleaned the screws, put in blue loctite and screwed them back. I had to take the clutch off to get to the second screw.

Two Questions...

1. When I put clutch and the cover back on and connected the clutch release arm to the clutch pinion, there seems to be no spring action. I am almost sure that I put in everything back, what am I doing wrong?

Is it something related to this?
http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/510...st__p__9196917
Can somebody explain what it means in post #50...

2. The gasket on the clutch cover is intact. Can I just put it back or should I put in something in between...Sealant? which one?

Now some free advice to those who will be doing this in the future...

1. Get the correct tools before starting the job...(I had to run to the tools shop a few times to get the tools). This set was very helpful

http://www.harborfreight.com/21-piec...set-67998.html

2. The big nut holding the clutch basket is size 27MM socket. So make sure you have that. I got this...

http://www.harborfreight.com/13-piec...set-67904.html

If you don't want to remove the clutch basket, get a 'small flat ratcheting wrench that holds Phillips bit' like in the pic this page

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/510...e/page__st__20

3. An impact driver makes your job easy.

http://www.harborfreight.com/7-piece...set-93481.html

4. Never use the generic socket. I used it and cracked my clutch cover near one of the bolts.
Pics later...
http://www.harborfreight.com/38-driv...ket-67934.html

Disclaimer: I do not have any vested interest in the harbor freight store except that I am a frugal shopper.
Old 05-10-2012, 10:50 AM   #64099
WilderRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,720
Tires Shinko 244

Just for those that care about this type of thing, I thought I would post a pic of the Shinko I took off of my DR650 yesterday with 6,406 miles on it. There is still plenty of life left, but I had a new one already sitting here that I wanted to use for summer fun:

I have really used it as a 50/50 tire, but almost half of those miles were on a trip to Baja and back.

Just more information for the collective on tires.
Old 05-10-2012, 01:31 PM   #64100
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,997
Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzerfz1 View Post

1. When I put clutch and the cover back on and connected the clutch release arm to the clutch pinion, there seems to be no spring action. I am almost sure that I put in everything back, what am I doing wrong?
Nothing is wrong, the clutch cable and clutch arm get their spring action from the clutch springs. The arm swings free until the clutch cable is adjusted properly.

Quote:
Is it something related to this? Can somebody explain what it means in post #50.
post #50 is wrong. Make sure the teeth on the horizontal splined shaft are pointing to the front when you put the cover on. It spins freely in the clutch but I'm not sure if the cover will even go back on if the splines are pointing the wrong way (on the internal horizontal splined shaft). Since the vertical splined shaft is machined 360* on both ends, it doesn't matter where it is when installed. That adjustment is made with the arm after the cover is on.

This should help, if not, let us know.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...7&postcount=34

Quote:
The gasket on the clutch cover is intact. Can I just put it back or should I put in something in between...Sealant? which one?
My buddy just puts a coat of grease on the gasket.

Thanks for including the helpful links.

I need to fix last nights post.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -

ER70S-2 screwed with this post 05-10-2012 at 01:44 PM
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 01:52 PM   #64101
fizzerfz1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 756
Quote:
Originally Posted by ER70S-2 View Post
Nothing is wrong, the clutch cable and clutch arm get their spring action from the clutch springs. The arm swings free until the clutch cable is adjusted properly.

post #50 is wrong. Make sure the teeth on the horizontal splined shaft are pointing to the front when you put the cover on. It spins freely in the clutch but I'm not sure if the cover will even go back on if the splines are pointing the wrong way (on the internal horizontal splined shaft). Since the vertical splined shaft is machined 360* on both ends, it doesn't matter where it is when installed. That adjustment is made with the arm after the cover is on.

This should help, if not, let us know.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...7&postcount=34

My buddy just puts a coat of grease on the gasket.

Thanks for including the helpful links.
Thank you. I was looking for the link you posted and was not successful. I will try it out and update.

Quote:
I need to fix last nights post.
Pleeeeazzze. My head spun and I almost fainted when I tried to make sense of your last night's post. You were not too drunk. Were you?
Old 05-10-2012, 03:36 PM   #64102
Mongle
Knuckle dragger

Oddometer: 1,952
CCT leak

Well, I finally broke down and fixed my CCT leak. Got tired of an oily right foot and checking the oil everytime I stopped!

I tried to do it without removing anything else...no luck. You will have to at least remove the oil line to snake the dang thing out. I did not remove the exhaust and was able to work in there. Scraping the gasket would be easier with the exhaust gone...but not so much I thought about removing it. Only thing I would do diffrent is loosen the bolt that covers the CCT adjuster before removing it from the bike. It was on tighter then expected.

The CCT was stuck on there pretty good...had to give it a tap to come off. The gasket stayed on the cylinder in one piece. I was able to see the gasket had split in one spot. Maybe .020" split. Made me wonder how so much oil could get through a tiny crack like that. Oh well, I just eliminated the gasket and put it back on with some Permatex #1. All good!
Mongle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 03:41 PM   #64103
BergDonk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,597
Harmonics

Sorry for not fully following this discussion, but glancing over it, one issue that may not have been considered is the possibility ot out of round sprockets. Of course they will never be perfect, but some can be worse that others and generate perceived tight spots in chains when its actually a sprocket problem. Out of round, as in the centre of the sprocket is not concentric with the teeth, and in the case of the rear, the bolt holes on the carrier's relationship to the axle.

Steve
Old 05-10-2012, 03:51 PM   #64104
Olas
the darkness

Oddometer: 3,789
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilderRider View Post
Just for those that care about this type of thing, I thought I would post a pic of the Shinko I took off of my DR650 yesterday with 6,406 miles on it. There is still plenty of life left, but I had a new one already sitting here that I wanted to use for summer fun:

I have really used it as a 50/50 tire, but almost half of those miles were on a trip to Baja and back.

Just more information for the collective on tires.

That's good life out of a rear (semi) Knobbie...What are you using for the front?
Olas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 03:57 PM   #64105
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,997
Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzerfz1 View Post
Thank you. I was looking for the link you posted and was not successful. I will try it out and update.

Pleeeeazzze. My head spun and I almost fainted when I tried to make sense of your last night's post. You were not too drunk. Were you?
A little chatty maybe.

And too much information to be useful.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 04:15 PM   #64106
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 8,473
pro cycle has shipped the first three black acerbis tanks.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk 2

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 04:41 PM   #64107
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilderRider View Post

I have really used it as a 50/50 tire, but almost half of those miles were on a trip to Baja and back. Just more information for the collective on tires.
Good Info!
Wow! 6400 miles!! That is certainly impressive mileage! I have a new SR 244 here, waiting for the right ride to use it. Sounds like the perfect Baja rear tire.

I've yet to have a 50/50 tire go beyond 4000 miles at best.
Your tire still looks not so bad, maybe 2000 miles or so left? A little flat spotted, but useable in a pinch for sure.

Had no idea the 244 was so tough. Stock Trailwing got me less than 3000 miles. (rear tire) IRC GP-1, about 3500 miles.

Did you ride your DR650 from Colorado down to Mexico and back? What off road sections did you ride in Baja? Did you go all the way to La Paz? How was the Shinko in deep sand? What tire did you run up front?

How was the tire's behavior on the road after about 4000 miles? Any squirm or movement? Reaction to rain gruves or irregular pavement?

My idea would be to run either a D606 or TKC80 up front and the Shinko 244 on the back. The knobby front really helps sand riding.
What do you think?
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 04:41 PM   #64108
cemory
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by UberKul View Post
Kidding right?
If not, I would never buy anything you are selling.
Well, I quess that did sound a bit underhanded the way I posted it. I think I was subliminally thinking of all the jobs that I've had done over the years on my cycles by local dealers (either because I didn't have the "special tool" or the knowlege to do myself) and felt like I'd been taken to the cleaners and /or outright screwed in the process. I apologize for that post.

Chris in Topeka
cemory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 04:44 PM   #64109
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
A little chatty maybe.

And too much information to be useful.
Not at all! Once you did the edit it was ALL GOOD. Lots of stuff to think about, but some good ideas in there. It all goes into my mental "tool box" for troubleshooting. Always something to be learned.

I'm sure you'll track this problem down. Making just one change at a time makes narrowing down the culprit easier. But sometimes you just want to ride! Good luck with it!
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 05:21 PM   #64110
BergDonk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,597
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Good Info!
Wow! 6400 miles!!

My idea would be to run either a D606 or TKC80 up front and the Shinko 244 on the back. The knobby front really helps sand riding.
What do you think?
Does seem impressive for sure.

I've not long got home from a 4,800 km trip to the Flinders where I used a T63 up back and a Pirelli Scorpion Rally up front. The T63 is pretty much done, but the Scorpio Rally Front will go again and it works exceedingly well, very stable, predictable and controllable in the sand and gravel. It also wears square, so no cupping at all. I believe its my 'holy grail' front tyre FWIW. Better than the E09, 606 and MT21s used to date on the DR650, except maybe the MT21 will last a bit longer if its rotated, maybe.

Steve