Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-2012, 09:12 PM   #64141
ntm1973
Adventurer

Oddometer: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvboy View Post
Is anybody running CR9E plugs? I tried to find the CR10E's locally and NOBODY has them, not even the suzy dealer.

I put in a couple of the 9's and went on a short ride and it seems to run fine.

I run the 9's in my bike because I have oil burning issues and want to get through the summer months before I do the necassary top end work (hopefully just valve seals but probably guides, rings and seals.) Anyway, I would do a plug reading if you went from 10's to 9's without any other changes because you could be running to hot which can cause engine damage if allowed to persist. Advanced Auto around here is pretty good about getting in what I need for the bikes.
ntm1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 09:26 PM   #64142
notarat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 333
I went to install a pair of these tonight

Then I decided I didn't want to give up my handlebar weights because I like the vibration dampening they provide

So I managed to clear enough junk outta my way to make it over to my friend's Drill Press and do some of this to both of them

And ended with a pair of these that accept the larger diameter allen head screw used to hold the bark buster to the handlebar ends

However, it would seem the mounting screws were not long enough to allow their use...

I finished the installation, and ran into all sorts of fitment issues around the switch housings on the bars, as well as the "flipped to accommodate the Acerbis" signal lights.

I'll be doing the following tomorrow:

Buying longer screws to allow the use of the handlebar weights from the hardware store

Raising the bars by 1-2 inches and replacing the OEM handlebars with aftermarket ones of the same diameter, but with a higher rise If I can find the parts at the local cyclegear
That'll solve the fitment issues around the switches and signal lights while allowing me to use the handlebar weights to dampen vibration.

Oh...I also got a pair of those foam handlebar grips too. I always liked those so I will be installing them too.

Looks like it'll be a wrenching Saturday since the forecast calls for rain all damn day...
notarat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 09:50 PM   #64143
Mercenary
Mindless Savage

Oddometer: 964
Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscronje View Post
Hey there guys...
Got a question on the Gixer zorsts. Seen one for sale from a 03 750.
Would only a 01 from a 1000cc fit? Is the others too long or WHAT?
The 03 is the exact same size, only a litte heavier. The 01-02 Gixxer can has Titanium internals which makes it lighter. However it is becoming harder and harder to find one for a decent price.
Old 05-11-2012, 10:04 PM   #64144
LexTalionis
Inciteful

Oddometer: 429
For sagedrifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzerfz1
4. Never use the generic socket. I used it and cracked my clutch cover near one of the bolts. Pics later...
http://www.harborfreight.com/38-driv...ket-67934.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexTalionis View Post
I've never used one of those "universal" sockets, don't plan to. However, out of academic curiosity, how did using that type of socket crack your cover???

Thanks,
Lex

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagedrifter View Post
Instead of spending money on fancy bmw style plugs I just use my battery tender cable. I have it routed under the seat near the front. From there I plug in a 3-way cig plug with a sae cord on it. That feeds stuff in the water resistant tank bag. I charge my phone while stopped, so I like an always on connection.

I have used the bmw style plugs before, I don't see the need anymore on a DS. I spent lots of money on my other bikes putting on lots of electrical stuff. On the DR I didn't feel the need......

Here is First Gears version of the good stuff: http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...ith-Cover.aspx

Sent from my GT-S5690L using Tapatalk 2
Hey sagedrifter! Pass some of whatever you're drinking tonight over to me! Can't figure how you got from a mechanical universal socket (go to the URL in fizzerfz1's post, above) for a ratchet to an electrical outlet plug.

The socket in question looks like a 3/4" hexagonal socket filled with small diameter rods.

BTW, I do have the exact setup you describe on my DR. And on the Valkyrie, after I tore the guts out of the expensive BMW socket I installed when the bike nearly tossed me off while doing practice panic stops.

So pass that bottle over, OK?
Lex
Old 05-12-2012, 03:33 AM   #64145
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 9,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHOTON PHIL View Post
What no grey ones Frank? I hope one of them was yours.
ha! grey/black .lol

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk 2

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 04:16 AM   #64146
P-P
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessepitt View Post
Well I picked up my new bike today. It is a beaut!

I took it for another spin after completing all of this and noticed an immediate improvement in shifting due to the semi-syn oil. I don't know what the dealership puts in there but based on everything else they do I imagine it is the cheapest crap they can get their hands on. I don't trust anyone at the dealer to know their a$$ from a hole in the ground so I plan on repacking all the bearings and re-torquing everything as time allows.
Brief rant: I paid six grand for a brand new bike and when I went to pick it up it was filthy! Not like it had been ridden but like it had sat around for a year (its an '11 so it did) and they had to truck it over from Nevada in a pickup and then didn't even bother to wash it. I also found it to be missing one of the little rubber exhaust stand-offs that bolts to the side plastic, hopefully they will get me one without hassle. Then when I went to the parts department to get oil change stuff they didn't have a filter in stock! They carry three different brands and were out of all three. I found one at the small bike shop near my house and got the same oil there for two bucks less per quart. I will not be going back to the dealer unless it is absolutely necessary. Rant over.

What dealer in NV? Michael's???
Old 05-12-2012, 04:22 AM   #64147
XPLRN
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 186
1999 and later DR650 operator drop brackets

Almost four years ago a local machining/fabrication guy came up with a unique drop bracket configuration for the operator foot pegs on the 1996 and newer DR650. This configuration utilizes the Suzuki designed vibration isolation feature. This drop bracket configuration is best for folks that ride mostly street/gravel roads and are not doing that much 'stand up' riding off-road. This is due to the lowering of the foot pegs beneath the frame and the vibration isolation feature was designed for a mostly seated rider.

Anyways he's still got 6-7 bracket sets from this one time CNC production run and wants to get rid of them.......first come first serve..........when they are gone that's it. He has reduced the price to $60 shipped vs. the $75 previously (Paypal fees extra). The guy that had him design and manufacture these drop brackets posted up a review of them...........read thru the links below for more info, pictures and his contact info if interested

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7817999&postcount=16710

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=16712

XPLRN screwed with this post 05-25-2012 at 10:40 PM
XPLRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 05:11 AM   #64148
plugeye
mc caregiver

Oddometer: 3,470
Quote:
Originally Posted by XPLRN View Post
Almost four years ago a local machining/fabrication guy came up with a unique drop bracket configuration for the operator foot pegs on the 1999 and newer DR650. This configuration utilizes the Suzuki designed vibration isolation feature. This drop bracket configuration is best for folks that ride mostly street/gravel roads and are not doing that much 'stand up' riding off-road. This is due to the lowering of the foot pegs beneath the frame and the vibration isolation feature was designed for a mostly seated rider.

Anyways he's still got 6-7 bracket sets from this one time CNC production run and wants to get rid of them.......first come first serve..........when they are gone that's it. He has reduced the price to $60 shipped vs. the $75 previously (Paypal fees extra). The guy that had him design and manufacture these drop brackets posted up a review of them...........read thru the links below for more info, pictures and his contact info if interested

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7817999&postcount=16710

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=16712
boy what a deal for about 1/2 what its worth & you gotta find your own hardware
plugeye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 06:15 AM   #64149
Motodeficient
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 448
Does anyone know if the DRZ400 rear brake reservoir cover will work on the front reservoir for the DR650? They look the same but according to the fiche they have different part numbers. I know they are different colors so I am wondering if that is the reason for the different part number.

The reason I ask is i have been ordering up various Zeta parts for my DR650 and noticed they make a rear reservoir cover or the DRZ which look a lot like the front DR650 one. I doubt it will work but you never know!

Motodeficient screwed with this post 05-12-2012 at 06:23 AM
Motodeficient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 06:30 AM   #64150
Load Clear
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Spoke thing?

So I cannot figure out how to add a pic here. I will do my best to describe. On the front wheel of my '12 650, on one of the spokes is a large hunk of metal that looks like clamped on with a pair of pliers. It is on the front wheel over the part of the spoke that inserts into the rim; the piece that you tighten. There is not one on the rear rim. It looks half-assed and silly on a new bike. What is it and is it normal?

Thanks - LC
Load Clear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 06:39 AM   #64151
Motodeficient
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 448
Its a wheel weight. That type of wheel weight does look really out of place. I don't like them.
Motodeficient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 06:39 AM   #64152
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,917
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvboy View Post
I work for a truck dealer, I had one of the parts guys call all over town for me, a few could get the plugs over night but NOBODY had them in stock, bike/auto/small engine shops all checked.
Wow that's sad. I live in a town of 7K and both Autozone and O'Reilly have them in stock.
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 06:39 AM   #64153
Arc 21
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
Speedometer Mounts

I realize that my speedometer should have some movement in the rubber mounts but I can grab the speedo head and move it around quite a bit.....seems like it wasn't that loose before. I live in a dry climate and rubber goes away quick here so I'm thinking the mounts may need to be replaced.

Is that much movent normal ? Is this a common problem? Better aftermarket rubber bushings?
Old 05-12-2012, 06:48 AM   #64154
Olas
the darkness

Oddometer: 3,945
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arc 21 View Post
I realize that my speedometer should have some movement in the rubber mounts but I can grab the speedo head and move it around quite a bit.....seems like it wasn't that loose before. I live in a dry climate and rubber goes away quick here so I'm thinking the mounts may need to be replaced.

Is that much movent normal ? Is this a common problem? Better aftermarket rubber bushings?
Add a washer between the nut and the stud on the bottom of the speedometer to take up the slack from the shrinking rubber.
Olas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 07:04 AM   #64155
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,917
Quote:
Originally Posted by sagedrifter View Post
Still looks good to me.....

My last Shinko 700 was on the wear bars at 4000 or so. I was happy with the tire. Tend to like the 705 better though, I like the better tread life.

Wear is so bike and rider specific. What oil you runnin :p : :sly:

Sent from my GT-S5690L using Tapatalk 2
Wear is specific to just the rider in my case. There's a reason I have this stockpile of tires

Albie is offline   Reply With Quote