Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-12-2012, 05:11 AM   #64156
plugeye
mc caregiver

Oddometer: 3,456
Quote:
Originally Posted by XPLRN View Post
Almost four years ago a local machining/fabrication guy came up with a unique drop bracket configuration for the operator foot pegs on the 1999 and newer DR650. This configuration utilizes the Suzuki designed vibration isolation feature. This drop bracket configuration is best for folks that ride mostly street/gravel roads and are not doing that much 'stand up' riding off-road. This is due to the lowering of the foot pegs beneath the frame and the vibration isolation feature was designed for a mostly seated rider.

Anyways he's still got 6-7 bracket sets from this one time CNC production run and wants to get rid of them.......first come first serve..........when they are gone that's it. He has reduced the price to $60 shipped vs. the $75 previously (Paypal fees extra). The guy that had him design and manufacture these drop brackets posted up a review of them...........read thru the links below for more info, pictures and his contact info if interested

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7817999&postcount=16710

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=16712
boy what a deal for about 1/2 what its worth & you gotta find your own hardware
plugeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 06:15 AM   #64157
Motodeficient
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 448
Does anyone know if the DRZ400 rear brake reservoir cover will work on the front reservoir for the DR650? They look the same but according to the fiche they have different part numbers. I know they are different colors so I am wondering if that is the reason for the different part number.

The reason I ask is i have been ordering up various Zeta parts for my DR650 and noticed they make a rear reservoir cover or the DRZ which look a lot like the front DR650 one. I doubt it will work but you never know!

Motodeficient screwed with this post 05-12-2012 at 06:23 AM
Motodeficient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 06:30 AM   #64158
Load Clear
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Spoke thing?

So I cannot figure out how to add a pic here. I will do my best to describe. On the front wheel of my '12 650, on one of the spokes is a large hunk of metal that looks like clamped on with a pair of pliers. It is on the front wheel over the part of the spoke that inserts into the rim; the piece that you tighten. There is not one on the rear rim. It looks half-assed and silly on a new bike. What is it and is it normal?

Thanks - LC
Load Clear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 06:39 AM   #64159
Motodeficient
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 448
Its a wheel weight. That type of wheel weight does look really out of place. I don't like them.
Motodeficient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 06:39 AM   #64160
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,913
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvboy View Post
I work for a truck dealer, I had one of the parts guys call all over town for me, a few could get the plugs over night but NOBODY had them in stock, bike/auto/small engine shops all checked.
Wow that's sad. I live in a town of 7K and both Autozone and O'Reilly have them in stock.
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 06:39 AM   #64161
Arc 21
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
Speedometer Mounts

I realize that my speedometer should have some movement in the rubber mounts but I can grab the speedo head and move it around quite a bit.....seems like it wasn't that loose before. I live in a dry climate and rubber goes away quick here so I'm thinking the mounts may need to be replaced.

Is that much movent normal ? Is this a common problem? Better aftermarket rubber bushings?
Old 05-12-2012, 06:48 AM   #64162
Olas
the darkness

Oddometer: 3,945
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arc 21 View Post
I realize that my speedometer should have some movement in the rubber mounts but I can grab the speedo head and move it around quite a bit.....seems like it wasn't that loose before. I live in a dry climate and rubber goes away quick here so I'm thinking the mounts may need to be replaced.

Is that much movent normal ? Is this a common problem? Better aftermarket rubber bushings?
Add a washer between the nut and the stud on the bottom of the speedometer to take up the slack from the shrinking rubber.
Olas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 07:04 AM   #64163
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,913
Quote:
Originally Posted by sagedrifter View Post
Still looks good to me.....

My last Shinko 700 was on the wear bars at 4000 or so. I was happy with the tire. Tend to like the 705 better though, I like the better tread life.

Wear is so bike and rider specific. What oil you runnin :p : :sly:

Sent from my GT-S5690L using Tapatalk 2
Wear is specific to just the rider in my case. There's a reason I have this stockpile of tires

Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 07:07 AM   #64164
Load Clear
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Wheel weight

Ahh - thanks MotoD - sounds common sense to me..now.
Load Clear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 07:08 AM   #64165
AST236
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,972
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
Wear is specific to just the rider in my case. There's a reason I have this stockpile of tires

Holy smokes Batman!! I've been in dealerships that didn't have that many tires!!

I don't like sand.
AST236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 07:46 AM   #64166
UberKul
UberNoob

Oddometer: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post

At first I thought you had some doomesday-horder thing going then checked your profile, just a couple spares for each bike.
Old 05-12-2012, 08:14 AM   #64167
996DL
Buell me

Oddometer: 2,118
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaThumper View Post
Pics if the "new" Pat Walsh Designs skid plate are up on their web site. It's looking pretty good to me, but I wish they would have done away with the front clamps. Otherwise a nice clean design and extra beefy! Extended rear using the factory mounts and went back to the rubber isolation.

I'm still waffling back and forth between the PWD and the SW Motech, and occasionly looking at the TCI plate with the integrated crash bars.

SW Motech

The SW Motech is currently on my 07 Roadie DR, extremely tidy mounting setup (rubber grommets / no clamps), but the aluminum sheet is only 1/8" and shouldn't be considered for serious offroad use. Great for fireroads / adv touring and mellow trail riding though... IMO

996DL
996DL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 10:56 AM   #64168
Tech23
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 466
Quote:
Originally Posted by 996DL View Post
The SW Motech is currently on my 07 Roadie DR, extremely tidy mounting setup (rubber grommets / no clamps), but the aluminum sheet is only 1/8" and shouldn't be considered for serious offroad use. Great for fireroads / adv touring and mellow trail riding though... IMO

996DL

I agree with this and would add, the drain plug hole is spot on, I don't think I have ever had to clean any motor oil off the skid plate after an oil change. No reflective noise at all with all the openings. Here in AZ I think the air circulation would also be a benefit. Great street/supermoto plate. The SW Motech skid plate will flex/bend slightly if you lift the bike from the skid plate with a lift table style jack that only lifts from a single point.

I had the Ricochet products skid plate and removed it, I didn't like how the mounting clamps had to be positioned just right in the recesses of the case and even then were too close for comfort. The reflective noise was terrible, on the street it made the gearbox sound like it was filled with gravel. With the Ricochet skid plate, I don't know how you would early detect any new noise from the transmission if a problem were to develop.

Tech23

2000 Harley Davidson FXDWG
2011 Victory Cross Country
Tech23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 11:17 AM   #64169
MikkSteel
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Is there any way to hard wire a GPS that would normally use a cigarette lighter plug? Can you just cut off the plug and splice the wires or is there some sort of a transformer in that plug? I'm thinking specifically of a basic Garmin unit meant for cars.

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by notarat View Post
Is that key-controlled power or constant?

I'm thinking it might be a good idea, if that connection is low power and key-controlled, to use it to control a relay that runs to the battery.

That way there's no extra load on that connector (or too much of a load) and there's no load to drain the battery when the key is off.

Just thinking out loud...
Old 05-12-2012, 11:33 AM   #64170
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arc 21 View Post

Mine are very loose too ... and I'm always thinking they are about to fall off, but everything is tight. That said, It would not hurt to add a new rubber damper in there, just to snug things up. My only concern with all the movement is stress on the Speedo cable. I'd bet you could improvise a rubber grommet of some kind to fit in there. The nuts will be very tight coming off (factory loc-tite) but they will come off.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote