Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2012, 03:29 AM   #64216
PHILinFRANCE
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,098
Hi Phil, I've enjoyed your Ride Reports elsewhere on this site, you're very "adventurous."

I wonder, are you maybe re-inventing the wheel here?

http://www.procycle.us/bikepages/dr650.html

Case Saver chain guard
DR650SE '96-'12
$34.95
This nice piece replaces your plastic sprocket cover and protects your engine case from a chain derailment or failure. The 3/16" (5mm) thick steel plate is adjustable to accommodate 14, 15 and 16 tooth sprockets. Includes mounting hardware.

Lex

Thanks Lex
I've seen this sight before and it's great , BUT postage to France is unreal !!!!! they want best part of $42.00 to post that guard !!!!! $77 for a piece of steel all in.
Thanks anyway , but my wife says "i was born to mess"

Made this the other day out of an old stainless steel microwave !!!!

Phil
Phil
Old 05-13-2012, 03:54 AM   #64217
carcajou
Resourceful Weasel

Oddometer: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by powderpig View Post
mambo...just curious. If you're planning to put on a 17 tooth gear and slap commute with it, why are you interested in a dr versus maybe a wee strom?
+ 1!
Old 05-13-2012, 04:00 AM   #64218
carcajou
Resourceful Weasel

Oddometer: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by ER70S-2 View Post
Yeah, well, I'll be riding for the next four months while you're hiding in the nearest air conditioned movie theater.
Wednesday at 11,600 feet fer instance:

+1 and We dont have to ride for days to get here. I live in the Springs and rode to work all but three days this winter.
Old 05-13-2012, 04:31 AM   #64219
epix1718
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 718
Anyone running the Vibranators? Since switching to a pair of Fly Aluma-Steel 7/8" bars the vibrations are a bit heavy.

Also, anyone know what Vibranator kit I would need for my setup of those bars and also running the Tusk D-Flex handguards.
85 Yamaha BIG Wheel 200 & 88 BIG Wheel 350
Travel Blog: http://peteandluna.wordpress.com/
epix1718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 05:26 AM   #64220
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 9,241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Is Super Clean like Simple Green? Is it an Alkaline base type cleaner?

I use Made In Germany S-100. (also an Alkaline base cleaner, I think) You can never use on a hot motor and never leave bike in the Sun. You have to be very careful on any sort of Aluminum or Magnesium. It will stain and pit it.
I constantly re-wet it ... with just a lite mist to keep it working. Once it dries you could have trouble.
Always rinse very well.
S-100 can also etch over time. And like you said Grift, never, ever apply cleaners to a hot engine. You will scar it.
Here's a tip I got and have been using since. Shout laundry spray. Gentle as in it will not etch, but it melts dirt and grime off after 5 mins and a hose.
Give it a try fellas. I find it works great.

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 07:16 AM   #64221
greer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech23 View Post

The reason I asked if you still have the stock BST 40 CV carb on your bike, and if you cut/modified the top of the air box is because of the routing of the slide chamber atmosphere vent hose/filter. There have been reports this vent hose filter that sits right over a "desnorkled" or cut air box opening can cause surging as it picks up the constant changing of positive and negative pressure waves within the air box. This can add to the slide oscillation that makes the CV carb the POS it is. On the plus side drilling the slide makes for better throttle response because it allows the slide to react faster...on the down side this faster reacting slide can make the oscillation of the slide (surging) even worse. This is why many elect to bypass this step in the Dyno Jet instructions.

Tech23
I've got a Dyno jet kit and drilled slide, and I've added a bit of preload to the slide spring to reduce surging. It's still a bit aggravating on a cool windy day. What about routing that vent hose/filter down in that crevice between the air box and shock?

Sarah
Old 05-13-2012, 08:36 AM   #64222
zdiver1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 466
this is how it look on the DR

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...nguard005.jpg/
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHILinFRANCE View Post
Thats more like it Steve.................................i see phase 4 coming up

Cheers Phil
zdiver1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 09:39 AM   #64223
motolab
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,225
Quote:
Originally Posted by greer View Post
I've got a Dyno jet kit and drilled slide, and I've added a bit of preload to the slide spring to reduce surging. It's still a bit aggravating on a cool windy day. What about routing that vent hose/filter down in that crevice between the air box and shock?

Sarah
Surging is in my experience a jetting problem. Carburetion problems during cross winds (which I would describe differently) are usually caused by misrouted vent hoses. Preloading the slide spring will cause the slide to come up off of the stop later (in terms of air velocity) and cause it to rise less for a given velocity (i.e. intersection of throttle position and rpm). If you want to lower the slide's sensitivity, that has to be accomplished by increasing damping. The way to increase damping is by reducing slide lift hole area. Increasing the damping (at least back to stock) is a good idea, as it will help reduce the chronic slide guide, emulsion tube, jet needle, and slide wear BST carbs are known to exhibit.

Regards,

Derek
motolab is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 10:10 AM   #64224
PHILinFRANCE
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,098
Quote:
Originally Posted by 955616846 View Post
That is why I combine orders to offset postage costs. I'll grab a pile of service and/or wear items. Brake pads or disks, clutch plates, chains, sprockets, cables etc even when they're not due and little stuff that is not necessary, but are on the wish list. I can always find a way to pack out an order to make the postage worthwhile.
Even on gear that Procycle does not stock I have found Jeff (himself) to be helpful sourcing parts. Depending on your local prices and import regs a $300+ order plus freight might still be a long way cheaper than buying locally.
I've thought of that one aswell Numbers !! but other than the odd thing i can get most stuff here , the DRs are very popular in France ,it's just , lets call it the Touratech type stuff isn't available of the shelf.
I'll have one last ditch attempt at making one and if not successful i'll get the Procycle one
Cheers Phil
Old 05-13-2012, 10:28 AM   #64225
greer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,658
I'm happy with the performance, other than the slight surge in cool, windy weather. I just bought the bike in November, so cool and windy has been the norm thus far. What would a person use to plug the drilled hole in the slide? Thanks again.

Sarah

Quote:
Originally Posted by motolab View Post
Surging is in my experience a jetting problem. Carburetion problems during cross winds (which I would describe differently) are usually caused by misrouted vent hoses. Preloading the slide spring will cause the slide to come up off of the stop later (in terms of air velocity) and cause it to rise less for a given velocity (i.e. intersection of throttle position and rpm). If you want to lower the slide's sensitivity, that has to be accomplished by increasing damping. The way to increase damping is by reducing slide lift hole area. Increasing the damping (at least back to stock) is a good idea, as it will help reduce the chronic slide guide, emulsion tube, jet needle, and slide wear BST carbs are known to exhibit.

Regards,

Derek
Old 05-13-2012, 10:45 AM   #64226
THB
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 153
New owner here. Been lurking for a while. I posted a while back looking to test ride a DR650. Found one on Craigslist up in Cortez, Colorado. Arranged a meeting in Gallup. My son and I rode it home from there. Basically stock. Does have gel seat, 14 tooth front.. Ordered FMF exhaust, ProCycle jet kit, and a heavier rear spring this morning. Look forward to hanging around here some more and hopefully meeting up with some on the road/trail.

2003 Yamaha YZ250

THB screwed with this post 05-13-2012 at 10:50 AM
THB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 10:53 AM   #64227
doug s.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,272
Quote:
Originally Posted by greer View Post
I'm happy with the performance, other than the slight surge in cool, windy weather. I just bought the bike in November, so cool and windy has been the norm thus far. What would a person use to plug the drilled hole in the slide? Thanks again.

Sarah
epoxy or silicone.

having owned my dr650 for about a year now, and following the dr650 thread here, i cannot understand why anyone would ever bother spending even a single penny on the stock carb. it seems the scrap yard is the only appropriate place for it. if you wanna improve it, save your money for an fcr39 or tm40. even those who have gotten great results from modding the stock carb, but then upgraded to a new carb, have all stated "why did ever i bother wasting time w/that pos, this new carb is awesome"; or words to that effect.

this is what comes to mind every time i read about folks fiddling w/the stock cab:

ymmv,

doug s.
doug s. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 10:59 AM   #64228
doug s.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,272
Quote:
Originally Posted by THB View Post
New owner here. Been lurking for a while. I posted a while back looking to test ride a DR650. Found one on Craigslist up in Cortez, Colorado. Arranged a meeting in Gallup. My son and I rode it home from there. Basically stock. Does have gel seat, 14 tooth front.. Ordered FMF exhaust, ProCycle jet kit, and a heavier rear spring this morning. Look forward to hanging around here some more and hopefully meeting up with some on the road/trail.

congrats, looks sweet!

one recommendation - cancel the fmf muffler order. order a kientech midpipe, built to take a gsxr can instead. or, at least research about it before you go the fmf route. everyone says the fmf is way louder; and the fmf needs repacking, the gsxr can doesn't... kientech also has a midpipe set-up for another suzuki model, i forget which (bandit? 'busa?), if you have trouble finding the correct gsxr can. it's not on their website yet, but if you call them they will be able to help you...

doug s.

oh yeah - read my comments about the stock carb above, and ditch the jet kit, too - save for a real carb.

doug s. screwed with this post 05-13-2012 at 11:13 AM Reason: jet kit comment
doug s. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 11:06 AM   #64229
trailrider383
867-5309

Oddometer: 3,069
Somebody here must have a beat up skidplate right? I started a picture thread "Show Us Your Beat Up Skidplates" over here. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=790410 Call me weird, but I want to see other peoples skidplates and compare them to mine.
Old 05-13-2012, 11:12 AM   #64230
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,976
Quote:
Originally Posted by zdiver1 View Post
I got a virus alert clicking that link.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote