Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2012, 11:28 AM   #64216
greer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,700
I'm happy with the performance, other than the slight surge in cool, windy weather. I just bought the bike in November, so cool and windy has been the norm thus far. What would a person use to plug the drilled hole in the slide? Thanks again.

Sarah

Quote:
Originally Posted by motolab View Post
Surging is in my experience a jetting problem. Carburetion problems during cross winds (which I would describe differently) are usually caused by misrouted vent hoses. Preloading the slide spring will cause the slide to come up off of the stop later (in terms of air velocity) and cause it to rise less for a given velocity (i.e. intersection of throttle position and rpm). If you want to lower the slide's sensitivity, that has to be accomplished by increasing damping. The way to increase damping is by reducing slide lift hole area. Increasing the damping (at least back to stock) is a good idea, as it will help reduce the chronic slide guide, emulsion tube, jet needle, and slide wear BST carbs are known to exhibit.

Regards,

Derek
Old 05-13-2012, 11:45 AM   #64217
THB
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 157
New owner here. Been lurking for a while. I posted a while back looking to test ride a DR650. Found one on Craigslist up in Cortez, Colorado. Arranged a meeting in Gallup. My son and I rode it home from there. Basically stock. Does have gel seat, 14 tooth front.. Ordered FMF exhaust, ProCycle jet kit, and a heavier rear spring this morning. Look forward to hanging around here some more and hopefully meeting up with some on the road/trail.

2003 Yamaha YZ250

THB screwed with this post 05-13-2012 at 11:50 AM
THB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 11:53 AM   #64218
doug s.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,309
Quote:
Originally Posted by greer View Post
I'm happy with the performance, other than the slight surge in cool, windy weather. I just bought the bike in November, so cool and windy has been the norm thus far. What would a person use to plug the drilled hole in the slide? Thanks again.

Sarah
epoxy or silicone.

having owned my dr650 for about a year now, and following the dr650 thread here, i cannot understand why anyone would ever bother spending even a single penny on the stock carb. it seems the scrap yard is the only appropriate place for it. if you wanna improve it, save your money for an fcr39 or tm40. even those who have gotten great results from modding the stock carb, but then upgraded to a new carb, have all stated "why did ever i bother wasting time w/that pos, this new carb is awesome"; or words to that effect.

this is what comes to mind every time i read about folks fiddling w/the stock cab:

ymmv,

doug s.
doug s. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 11:59 AM   #64219
doug s.
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by THB View Post
New owner here. Been lurking for a while. I posted a while back looking to test ride a DR650. Found one on Craigslist up in Cortez, Colorado. Arranged a meeting in Gallup. My son and I rode it home from there. Basically stock. Does have gel seat, 14 tooth front.. Ordered FMF exhaust, ProCycle jet kit, and a heavier rear spring this morning. Look forward to hanging around here some more and hopefully meeting up with some on the road/trail.

congrats, looks sweet!

one recommendation - cancel the fmf muffler order. order a kientech midpipe, built to take a gsxr can instead. or, at least research about it before you go the fmf route. everyone says the fmf is way louder; and the fmf needs repacking, the gsxr can doesn't... kientech also has a midpipe set-up for another suzuki model, i forget which (bandit? 'busa?), if you have trouble finding the correct gsxr can. it's not on their website yet, but if you call them they will be able to help you...

doug s.

oh yeah - read my comments about the stock carb above, and ditch the jet kit, too - save for a real carb.

doug s. screwed with this post 05-13-2012 at 12:13 PM Reason: jet kit comment
Old 05-13-2012, 12:06 PM   #64220
trailrider383
867-5309

Oddometer: 3,142
Somebody here must have a beat up skidplate right? I started a picture thread "Show Us Your Beat Up Skidplates" over here. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=790410 Call me weird, but I want to see other peoples skidplates and compare them to mine.
Old 05-13-2012, 12:12 PM   #64221
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 7,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by zdiver1 View Post
I got a virus alert clicking that link.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 12:14 PM   #64222
doug s.
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kommando View Post
I got a virus alert clicking that link.
worked fine for me, w/no wirus alerts. twice...

doug s.
Old 05-13-2012, 12:17 PM   #64223
JagLite
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,097
Question Tiny-Tach anyone?

I am going to order one of these Tiny-Tachs soon.
After I save up from my next ProCycle order....
PC gets most of my money.
http://tinytach.com/gasoline.php#
Small, sealed, and under $50.

Does anyone have experience with them?
James
JagLite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 12:30 PM   #64224
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexTalionis View Post
Hey, Adv Grifter, I need an education on this. I've walked on and laid on lots of sand, but none have been magnetic, to my knowledge. My understanding is, sand is generally silicon dioxide and / or calcium carbonate. I believe neither of these compounds are magnetic. Neither are common "dirt" and small pebbles. What say you?

Also, personally, I use ~200psi to blow out the area around the plugs before removal; there's no way anything will be left for a "tiny magnet" to pick up.

Lex
You're correct of course ... only a few particles in sand are magnetic. I used to play with magnets in the sand! High pressure air is the best. I've used a magnet when no air is available just to get what I can. I worry most about the magnetic particles ... as they are hard and more likely to do damage. Plain dirt won't do much. Small pebbles need to got out manually if no air.

The Magnet has picked up some particles but not all. Main thing is just handling the plug carefully when pulling it out and putting it back in. Don't disturb any of crap particles sitting around the plug. That said ... on one occasion early on with my DR, I did bump some debris into the plug hole! The DR just ate it up and never complained.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 12:39 PM   #64225
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by smilin jack View Post
Yes, seems some of the steps you speak of should have been put in.
I had the new pick-up coil in hand so found the OEM pick-up coil screwed inside of the stator cover. It was held in place with two philips screws. The stator is not disturbed.
The pick-up coil is not part of the stator. It is off to the side of the stator. The magnet (round disk on the end of the crankshaft fits in between the stator and pick-up coil.
The two wires from the pick-up coil pass thru a rubber grommet to exit the stator cover and continue inside the wiring harness to the CDI box.

Dave
Thanks Jack. I'm hoping I won't be going in there any time soon. But next long trip I'm bringing a spare pick-up coil along ... and the knowledge to swap it out if I need to. Thanks!!
Old 05-13-2012, 12:43 PM   #64226
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 7,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by powderpig View Post
Mambo...just curious. If you're planning to put on a 17 tooth gear and slap commute with it, why are you interested in a DR versus maybe a Wee Strom?
I don't know about Mambo's perspective, but mine is pretty much:

Unless you're a really good dirt rider, ever leaving pavement around SoFL would be WORK on something much less dirty than a DR/KLR. I'm not even talking trails. Even the basic dirt roads in much of FL can be sugarsand. A DR with a 15, 16, or even 17T front sprocket would still be manageable to ride for a novice, and easy enough to pick up. A 500lb+ Wee, with a lot of the weight up front? Not so easy. After a swap to a 14 or 15T sprocket, and a skinny sand-capable 21" front knobby, a DR can actually scoot around decently on even the tighter FL trails. There's also much less to damage WHEN it takes a nap.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 12:46 PM   #64227
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHILinFRANCE View Post

Fixing the bottom took some working out , but finally came up with this

OK i know it's not the best but at least it's better than nothing !!!! I will get some 3mm steel and make a better FLAMINGO !!!

The reason all this started was i picked this bike lift up for 50 , bargain !!! and had to see if it worked

Hoped you enjoyed my messing about and i'm more than open to other ideas

Phil
Brilliant work Phil! And something we could really use. Most dirt bikes have case savers available, I thought I saw one once for the DR, can't recall. I like yours a lot. Nice work!
Old 05-13-2012, 12:53 PM   #64228
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADV8 View Post
He might have taken a wrong turn on the last ride and went through NZ by mistake.
Yes I have worked at that steel mill.
I don't know if it's Iron Sand or not ... but El Salvador's beaches are all Black Sand. Too hot to walk on. I lived ... and surfed at La Libertad, El Salvador for 3 months in the 1970's. I think I also a saw Black Sand beaches in Thailand, memories dim on this.

Getting back to the Magnet ... I always get lots of crap on the magnet every time I put it down next to the plugs.
Old 05-13-2012, 12:54 PM   #64229
Andyinhilo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,671
Quote:
Originally Posted by JagLite View Post
I am going to order one of these Tiny-Tachs soon.
After I save up from my next ProCycle order....
PC gets most of my money.
http://tinytach.com/gasoline.php#
Small, sealed, and under $50.

Does anyone have experience with them?

I got one from Top Gun Motorcycles, though I don't think they carry them any more. It works well, although I should have specified the fast refresh unit. the slow one lags a bit.

EDIT: looks like the slow one is no longer available.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."J. Cooper
Andyinhilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 01:15 PM   #64230
Mongle
Knuckle dragger

Oddometer: 2,619
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Is Super Clean like Simple Green? Is it an Alkaline base type cleaner?

I use Made In Germany S-100. (also an Alkaline base cleaner, I think) You can never use on a hot motor and never leave bike in the Sun. You have to be very careful on any sort of Aluminum or Magnesium. It will stain and pit it.
I constantly re-wet it ... with just a lite mist to keep it working. Once it dries you could have trouble.
Always rinse very well.
I looked it up...yes it is alkaline. Guess I should check that first next time. I diluted it about 16:1 and did it on a cold bike.
Rinsed it off in 2 to 3 minutes. Still messed up the rims and swingarm. Mothers polish helped.
Mongle is offline   Reply With Quote