Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-15-2012, 11:37 AM   #64336
Motodeficient
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 448
Does anyone know the torque value for the magneto cover cap? I don't see it listed in the manual. They list it for the timing inspection (TDC) plug (16.5 ft/lb) but not the magneto cap. I wonder if over-tightening this cap is the reason a lot of people strip them trying to remove them.
Motodeficient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 11:56 AM   #64337
Go Irish75
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motodeficient View Post
Does anyone know the torque value for the magneto cover cap? I don't see it listed in the manual. They list it for the timing inspection (TDC) plug (16.5 ft/lb) but not the magneto cap. I wonder if over-tightening this cap is the reason a lot of people strip them trying to remove them.
Crank cover cap (it's gotta be the magneto cover cap) is listed as 16.5 ft lbs. same as the Inspection plug. I had no problem getting mine off and also torquing it properly without buggering it. But I replaced it with the Yoshimura one anyway. I liked the 17mm hex head and the look better.
Old 05-15-2012, 11:57 AM   #64338
asrvivor
Rabies Cure ????

Oddometer: 1,877
Quote:
Originally Posted by asrvivor View Post
The head bolts is what I meant. Should have been more clear. Sorry I'll try the blue lock tight to start.
8 x 1.25..........

Just cause I'm wrong, don't make you right / Needtobreathe
Our OBDR Trip http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=712724
Our UTBDR Trip http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=816500
asrvivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 12:01 PM   #64339
Motodeficient
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 448
Wierd, where did you find that in the manual? I can't find it. I just replaced my crank cap and TDC plug with the Zeta set. Also replaced the oil filler cap with the Zeta unit. I got all three for around $35 shipped. They are flashy though , I went with red. Should gave gotten black or something.
Motodeficient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 12:05 PM   #64340
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz_johnno View Post
Blokes,
After a some of runs down some reasonable dirt roads I have reached a couple of conclusions.
1) I enjoyed the bush and the wilderness soo much I have deceided that I could get used to this off road lark.
2) After dropping it a couple of times, I have decieded that my ducati multistrada 1200S is waaay to purdy and expensive to fix to take off road.

I have come to the conclusion that i need another bike. I was thinking of getting a DR650 as I hear that they are cheap to buy, simple, cheap to service and run.

I would like to do some adventure touring. Would the DR650 do the job?? what should I be looking for in a second hand one?
As nothing is perfect, where does the DR have problems?
Thanks in advance.......
OZ
For doing truly long haul touring there is not any better bike out there.
The KLR comes close, KTM's, Husky's, and BMW's are nice, but not as reliable or simple as the DR650.

Start reading the ride reports below to see the DR650 in action, on the road, around the world. All these reports feature the DR650 in a starring role. Some excellent reports ... some of the best on ADV Rider. There are more out there, these are my favorites:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=556240
Jammin Jay, now in Africa

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=729296
Troy's Ride Report from S. America

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=627428
Airborne Andy's Ride Report ... A good one! South America.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=673764
Big Al's epic report! Mex, Cent. Am, South America.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=582578
Jedimaster ... some of the best Photos on ADV Rider!
North and South America

See Adam's (Jedimaster) comments below. He just sold his DR650 with 75,000 miles on it. Airborne Andy's has about 80,000 miles. Miles, not Kms!! Pretty much sums up the DR650 as an Adventure Tourer. The below borrowed from last page of Adam's report:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

There's a good reason you haven't found much written about problems with Rosie (DR650's in general) and that's because she's been so bloody solid and reliable!
I had to replace the steering head bearings in Mexico buy as I said in my blog, that was my own fault for setting them a little too tight when I left Boston. In Santiago, Chile I had the opportunity to check and re-grease them and so I took it. When I opened u the headstock they were perfect, didn't even need greasing. The workshop I was using was closing for a four day holiday and I hastily re-assembled them, once again slightly over tightening them. They soon failed.

All bikes have their Achilles Heel's. The DR's seems to me to be rear wheel bearings (not bad as problems go) I've replaced three sets.

When I was riding my Beemer I met a lot of people riding DR's who ask me what problems I'd had. They got a 20 minute reply. When I asked them the same question some said rear wheel bearings, others said "Mmmm...nothing".

If DR650's were available in the UK I'm sure I'd have left home on one originally.

There's no such thing as the 'best' adventure travel bike which is why nobody makes one, but when it comes to price, versatility, reliability and simplicity nothing comes close to the DR650...in my opinion.

Colorado huh? You don't need me to tell you what a great part of the world you live in eh?

There was a time when I could only dream about travel. If you want it enough you'll find a way to make it happen. I talked about it for 15years then one day the planets aligned and it was time to go.

Cheers

Adam

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Adv Grifter screwed with this post 05-15-2012 at 12:21 PM
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 12:13 PM   #64341
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
Put them in, no problems. Pull them out, sore hands. Put them back in.

More of a difference on bars with solid mounts to the top clamp.
What bars are you using? Using some sort of Bark Buster? Have you eliminated the rubber dampers on the stock set up? Why?

"Sore hands"? Or numb hands? Relax your grip on the bars.
Old 05-15-2012, 12:18 PM   #64342
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by asrvivor View Post
The head bolts is what I meant. Should have been more clear. Sorry I'll try the blue lock tight to start.
Head bolt ...?? Or Header Bolt? Lets be clear here.

If your header bolt came out ... then just remove the remaining one and take it to Suzuki and order a new set.

If it's a "head bolt", then I have no idea what to tell you. I would get the manual, loosen ALL head bolts, and re-torque, in proper pattern, in 3 stage tightening sequence.
Old 05-15-2012, 12:21 PM   #64343
asrvivor
Rabies Cure ????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Head bolt ...?? Or Header Bolt? Lets be clear here.

If your header bolt came out ... then just remove the remaining one and take it to Suzuki and order a new set.

If it's a "head bolt", then I have no idea what to tell you. I would get the manual, loosen ALL head bolts, and re-torque, in proper pattern, in 3 stage tightening sequence.
It was one of the exhaust header bolts. I got 4 new ones at True Value Hardware. .65 each. Fixt.....

Old 05-15-2012, 01:41 PM   #64344
XPLRN
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 186
DR650 Operator Lowering Brackets

Quote:
Originally Posted by XPLRN View Post
Almost four years ago a local machining/fabrication guy came up with a unique drop bracket configuration for the operator foot pegs on the 1999 and newer DR650. This configuration utilizes the Suzuki designed vibration isolation feature. This drop bracket configuration is best for folks that ride mostly street/gravel roads and are not doing that much 'stand up' riding off-road. This is due to the lowering of the foot pegs beneath the frame and the vibration isolation feature was designed for a mostly seated rider.

Anyways he's still got 6-7 bracket sets from this one time CNC production run and wants to get rid of them.......first come first serve..........when they are gone that's it. He has reduced the price to $60 shipped vs. the $75 previously (Paypal fees extra). The guy that had him design and manufacture these drop brackets posted up a review of them...........read thru the links below for more info, pictures and his contact info if interested

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7817999&postcount=16710

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=16712

Quote:
Originally Posted by plugeye View Post
boy what a deal for about 1/2 what its worth & you gotta find your own hardware
Actually it is a deal for the right DR650 riders. folks that ride mostly street/gravel roads or jeep trails and need a bit more leg room. These operator drop brackets are the only parts available that are designed to utilize the Suzuki designed vibration dampening feature.

The operator lowering bracket kit I installed on my bike had the hardware included...... it sure helps the bike ergos/knee joints for people with longer legs.
XPLRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 01:52 PM   #64345
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Irish75 View Post
Never had a bolt back out of a header before. I guess some high temp Loctite like the 272 wouldn't be a bad idea in there.
Mine stay in place with anti-sieze.
Old 05-15-2012, 02:05 PM   #64346
deathu
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
Aftermarket ignition switch

Hi,

I just managed to buy a used DR650SE a few days ago.. these bikes are VERY rare here in Europe, it took me over 6 months to find one in my area. The bike is not in a good shape, but given the fact that since the day I first rode one i knew this was the DS bike for me, I had no alternative but to buy whatever DR650SE I manage to find..

Now to get to the point of my post, one of the many things I need to sort out on this bike is the ignition switch, which is operational but in a very bad shape. I have to "play" alot with the key to be able to turn it on. Once turned on, it won't retain the key inside. I'm thinking about replacing the ignition switch entirely, but for some reason I can't find any aftermarket one for sale, and the OEM one seems overpriced at over 130$. Does anyone know of an aftermarket ignition switch for the DR650SE? - OR - does the ignition switch of any other Suzuki model fit the DR650SE?
For some reason, I only seem to find aftermarket alternatives for the older, pre-1996 DR's.

Thanks!
deathu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 02:18 PM   #64347
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 9,383
Black Acerbis tank on the 2012 grey.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk 2

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"

DockingPilot screwed with this post 05-15-2012 at 02:35 PM
DockingPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 02:31 PM   #64348
dljocky
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 853
That looks nice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DockingPilot View Post
Black Acerbis tank on the 2012 grey.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk 2
dljocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 03:27 PM   #64349
asrvivor
Rabies Cure ????

No Luck

Man I'm having terrible luck today. Both front fork seals blown. SHIT! Gotta 1500 mile trip in 2 days and no time. Anyone have the specs on how much oil goes in front forks, PLEASE? Dammit...........

Old 05-15-2012, 03:36 PM   #64350
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Oddometer: 2,131
Wiring Questions

I have a set of those Denali LED lights (from Twisted Throttle) on my DR650. They're currently wired up using the wiring that came with them and their own switch. I would like to eliminate this wiring and connect them to the high-beam switch so they only come on when that switch is activated. My headlight has been replaced with a low-beam-only HID model so I have a "spare" prong coming off of my high-beam connector.

Not being an electronics type, and not being able to read a wiring diagram very well, I was wondering how I can go about doing this? Is it just a matter of connecting the power leads from the lights to that "spare" prong?

Thanks.

Rob
'10 Kawasaki KLX351S #320 For Sale!
Rob.G is offline   Reply With Quote