Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2012, 12:41 AM   #64381
Tech23
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 468
I was reminded of an old trick when I saw this picture. Notice the small gap in the spring on the seal. That's where the spring is screwed together. It is possible (if need be) to unscrew the spring and snip off a short section of it with good quality snips/cutters to increase the tension or tighten the sealing lips against the sealing surface in a pinch...such as the wheel spacers have grooves worn into them from the sealing lips of the seal. This would allow the seal to grip the spacer slightly tighter until you can get a new spacer and seal. When you unscrew the spring one end is tapered and the other end is straight cut, you would need to slightly trim the straight cut end so the tapered end can be screwed back in, then the spring repositioned on the seal.

Tech23

2000 Harley Davidson FXDWG
2011 Victory Cross Country
Tech23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 07:11 AM   #64382
asrvivor
Rabies Cure ????

Oddometer: 1,877
Pictures

Thanks for all the replys guys. I've done the film ick a few times and when I looked this time it appears one seal has a very small tear in it. Ned to be more vigilant in cleaning the tubes I guess. So I figured it was time to replace the seals. I do carry a roll of film with memnow though. Thansk

Just cause I'm wrong, don't make you right / Needtobreathe
Our OBDR Trip http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=712724
Our UTBDR Trip http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=816500
asrvivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 07:31 AM   #64383
TrophyHunter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,051
Bohawk - thx for that. I change out wheelsets fairly often depending on the ride so I'll be more careful based on your post. I'll put Tech23's spring trick in the mental tool box but I hope I never have to use it.

"It's a small amount of gas, but it represents a long walk" My Dad...
TrophyHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 09:10 AM   #64384
BadDogMax
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 156
Chain vibration video V2

I spent a half a day doing experiments to try and isolate the odd vibration I feel in the footpegs on light acceleration, especially in 5th gear.

I tried to check everything that was suggested after the last video:

">

Note: there was no hesitation or stumble heard from the engine while making the video. From its sound and seat-of-the-pants testing, it is running very smooth. The chain sure is getting some harsh input from somewhere however!
Old 05-16-2012, 09:43 AM   #64385
Dravintoad
Toadthumpin

Oddometer: 1,750
Great video.
I will retract my earlier statement about it being in your head and rephrase by saying its the nature of the beast.
Since you have mentioned this, I have started to pay attention in 5th and around ~67mph, I do feel a vibration, but I still don't think it's an issue. There are so many different things going on to cause the vibration, I don't think it can really be tuned out.
Old 05-16-2012, 09:44 AM   #64386
mslow
Faccia Brutta

Oddometer: 523
insanely well done video, good on you!

so I had the same thing happening, and noticed that by increasing the chain tension by one click it completely went away...so far anyway.

i always measured chain slack by pushing the chain up with tension, taking a measurement, then pull it down with tension and use the difference, it looks like you did not do the same, just wondering which is the correct method?
Old 05-16-2012, 10:09 AM   #64387
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 9,342
Super editing job on the video. Dont forget the rear suspension is unloaded. It may or may not have something to do with the chain slap. I also wonder if applying rear brake excactly replicates a drive train under load in normal conditions.

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 10:15 AM   #64388
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Does anyone else find seating the air filter a bit of a nuisance ? I just cant get a positive feel that the sucker is seated properly or if the plastic retainer nub is even in the filter cage hole. One thing about the XR650 that was pure Honda was the air box. Fool proof and no tools needed to service. This one I find a bit of a hassle especially with an after market filter.

Another note, the turn signal relocater bracket from Procycle work perfectly in regards to the Acerbis tank. Good job Procycle !

Old 05-16-2012, 10:17 AM   #64389
garnaro
MotoBlunderer

Oddometer: 259
thank you! awesome video - this may save a lot of time if a similar problem crops up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadDogMax View Post
I spent a half a day doing experiments to try and isolate the odd vibration I feel in the footpegs on light acceleration, especially in 5th gear.

I tried to check everything that was suggested after the last video:

">

Note: there was no hesitation or stumble heard from the engine while making the video. From its sound and seat-of-the-pants testing, it is running very smooth. The chain sure is getting some harsh input from somewhere however!
Old 05-16-2012, 10:22 AM   #64390
garnaro
MotoBlunderer

Motosurf the DR

Hey guys - just put up my first ride report that I did on the DR. Teaser:

Old 05-16-2012, 10:35 AM   #64391
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsOnMyBoard View Post

Saw it already ! I am headed for the Lost Coast myself this Sept. WBCDR-OBCDR-then into the Lost Coast, then over the Sierra's and down to Reno where the trip will end 15 days later. THIS backcountry expert is a good friend of mine and has routed us. He knows the Lost Coast well.
Can't wait !

Old 05-16-2012, 11:06 AM   #64392
garnaro
MotoBlunderer

air filter fiddly

Quote:
Originally Posted by DockingPilot View Post
Saw it already ! I am headed for the Lost Coast myself this Sept. WBCDR-OBCDR-then into the Lost Coast, then over the Sierra's and down to Reno where the trip will end 15 days later. THIS backcountry expert is a good friend of mine and has routed us. He knows the Lost Coast well. Can't wait ! !

that sounds epic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DockingPilot View Post
Does anyone else find seating the air filter a bit of a nuisance ? I just cant get a positive feel that the sucker is seated properly or if the plastic retainer nub is even in the filter cage hole. One thing about the XR650 that was pure Honda was the air box. Fool proof and no tools needed to service. This one I find a bit of a hassle especially with an after market filter.

Another note, the turn signal relocater bracket from Procycle work perfectly in regards to the Acerbis tank. Good job Procycle !

Yes, the air filter seems fiddly, think I got the hang of it on the second cleaning. Luckily I'm blissfully ignorant about it being easier on other bikes
Old 05-16-2012, 11:26 AM   #64393
BadDogMax
Gnarly Adventurer

Re: Chain vibration video V2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dravintoad View Post
Great video.
I will retract my earlier statement about it being in your head and rephrase by saying its the nature of the beast.
Since you have mentioned this, I have started to pay attention in 5th and around ~67mph, I do feel a vibration, but I still don't think it's an issue. There are so many different things going on to cause the vibration, I don't think it can really be tuned out.
In the course of experiments, I changed from the 14t to the 15t front sprocket. This moved the vibes up to 65-70MPH, and lessened them a bit.

Some things learned, during video and on test rides:

- Going from 14t to 15t sprocket reduces vibes
- Tightening rear spring increases vibes
- Tightening chain (1 notch tighter is just a hair too tight, but I tried anyhow) reduces vibes

What all of these things have in common is: changing the chain-to-top-of-swingarm distance. When the chain runs closer to the top = more vibes and unnerving jackhammering.

I also noticed that the 15t front sprocket allows me to run around town (50-55 MPH) without going to 5th gear. I don't run into the vibe zone (65-70MPH) anymore and I can basically ignore it.

Maybe I'll try a 44t or 45t rear with a 15t or 16t front. That would give me ideal gearing without closing the chain-to-swingarm distance.
Old 05-16-2012, 11:27 AM   #64394
BadDogMax
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsOnMyBoard View Post

Incredible location! Where is this?
Old 05-16-2012, 12:23 PM   #64395
Tech23
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadDogMax View Post
In the course of experiments, I changed from the 14t to the 15t front sprocket. This moved the vibes up to 65-70MPH, and lessened them a bit.

Some things learned, during video and on test rides:

- Going from 14t to 15t sprocket reduces vibes
- Tightening rear spring increases vibes
- Tightening chain (1 notch tighter is just a hair too tight, but I tried anyhow) reduces vibes

What all of these things have in common is: changing the chain-to-top-of-swingarm distance. When the chain runs closer to the top = more vibes and unnerving jackhammering.

I also noticed that the 15t front sprocket allows me to run around town (50-55 MPH) without going to 5th gear. I don't run into the vibe zone (65-70MPH) anymore and I can basically ignore it.

Maybe I'll try a 44t or 45t rear with a 15t or 16t front. That would give me ideal gearing without closing the chain-to-swingarm distance.
I'm a street only rider running 16/43, keeps the chain slightly farther away from the chain slider, and guide.

Tech23

2000 Harley Davidson FXDWG
2011 Victory Cross Country
Tech23 is offline   Reply With Quote