User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-24-2012, 03:41 PM   #64876
BergDonk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,065
Valve Clearances

IMHO, within range is all thats needed. No doubt on the dyno, on some engines, you might get an extra poofteenth of a hp with them at the tight end, but I defy anyone to feel it in their seat. Note that valve clearances are specced cold. They change as the engine heats up, and need to allow for a very hot engine, especially an air cooled one. The exhaust side is hotter than the inlet, so mostly exhaust valves have a greater cold clearance to allow for more heat, and therefore more expansion, and closing up of that clearance.

If the clearance closes right up, the valve will not close and compression is lost and the valve seat is damaged, or 'burnt'. Using the go/no go method with feelers is my preferred method with the DR. I have a set of the Procycle bent ones, and if the thin one goes in, and the thick one doesn't, all good. I adjusted one inlet valve at the last check as it was just on/under min clearance. This was the first valve that I have needed to adjust and was at 41,000 kms.

Steve
Old 05-24-2012, 03:46 PM   #64877
LexTalionis
Inciteful

Oddometer: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
I wouldn't trust that dealer the least bit. I've bought new bikes from a power sports dealer for $1200 to $1400 below MSRP on bikes that retailed for $10K-$11K. He's not selling bikes at a loss. Just got a quote the other day on the KTM 350 EXC for $8450, the MSRP is $9700. ALL dealers pay the same amount for the bikes, the ones that sell more just get first pick on the hot selling models.

There's a Yammy dealer that is in Longview TX that people from all across the country buy Tenre's from because he's willing to sell them at a reasonable price. He used to own the dealership in Texarkana and in one year sold 50 FJR's when the big dealer in Dallas only sold 5.
Realtors like to say, "Location, location, location." Wouldn't be surprised to find the dealer in Dallas has more overhead that needs to be covered than the one in Texarkana. It's not always and entirely seller greed.

Lex
Old 05-24-2012, 03:47 PM   #64878
LexTalionis
Inciteful

Oddometer: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by local1 View Post
as i had posted earlier i have a electrical problem.i have checked and have electric to the cdi, could someone please help?? the bike was a stolen recovery i bought the ignition is smashed and wires were cut.i tried the ignition switch bypass i read about here where you use a switch and resistor(sp?)..anyway the lights come on and the horn works but i
have nothing going to the coil or starter??
? someone please help??im pulling my hair out here..
Jump your starter solenoid / relay and get back to us with the results. Doing this will keep your hands out of your hair for a while.

Lex
Old 05-24-2012, 04:47 PM   #64879
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 9,164
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergDonk View Post
IMHO, within range is all thats needed.. I have a set of the Procycle bent ones, and if the thin one goes in, and the thick one doesn't, all good.
Yep,
And the angled valve tappet type gauges are the way to go, not sure how the fellas using the normal bigger straight gauges are getting the proper "feel" with bending that type over then under. But I guess they do.

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 04:48 PM   #64880
shaddix
Banned

Oddometer: 647
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaddix View Post
So I have Cam chain tensioner leak, oil filter o ring leak, and the head bolt in front of the plugs leaking. I've read that you can just loosen and retorque the head bolt, filter oring is easy, and the Cam chain leak is a real job. I think the previous owner was using synthetic oil and I used conventional, could that have started everything leaking?
Looked again today and it looks like magneto cover is leaking along with base gasket on the left side. I had the oil filled up to the F line and I let some out til its right at half between the low and full lines cold. I'm hoping I just had too much oil in it
shaddix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 05:19 PM   #64881
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket View Post
Pay no attention to the red circles, they are there for another reason.
That's a good drawing Rusty. One of the places a large photo is much better.

For the curious: That looks lilke the drawing for Canada and USA in my manual. The red circles are for the unused plugs that are used for something in other countries, tach, 'flash to pass', Throttle Position Switch, etc. I think the same harness is used on all DR650s.

Quote:
IMHO, within range is all thats needed. No doubt on the dyno, on some engines, you might get an extra
poofteenth of a hp with them at the tight end.........

Quote:
Note that valve clearances are specced cold. They change as the engine heats up, and need to allow for a very hot engine, especially an air cooled one. The exhaust side is hotter than the inlet, so mostly exhaust valves have a greater cold clearance to allow for more heat, and therefore more expansion, and closing up of that clearance.

If the clearance closes right up, the valve will not close and compression is lost and the valve seat is damaged, or 'burnt'.
Well said.

Quote:
Using the go/no go method with feelers is my preferred method with the DR. I have a set of the Procycle bent ones, and if the thin one goes in, and the thick one doesn't, all good. I adjusted one inlet valve at the last check as it was just on/under min clearance. This was the first valve that I have needed to adjust and was at 41,000 kms.

Steve
41k km to the first needed valve adjust. 25,625 miles for the metric phobic.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 05:34 PM   #64882
ADV8
Taumarunui..Darwin..

Oddometer: 2,118
Quote:
Originally Posted by DockingPilot View Post
They say "slappy valves are happy valves"
The opening and closing ramps on the cam shaft lobe might say different.

ADV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 05:38 PM   #64883
ADV8
Taumarunui..Darwin..

Quote:
Originally Posted by local1 View Post
as i had posted earlier i have a electrical problem.i have checked and have electric to the cdi, could someone please help?? the bike was a stolen recovery i bought the ignition is smashed and wires were cut.i tried the ignition switch bypass i read about here where you use a switch and resistor(sp?)..anyway the lights come on and the horn works but i
have nothing going to the coil or starter??
? someone please help??im pulling my hair out here..
I havn't seen the whole thread but the clutch and side stand switches will stop power for starting. (as they do)
OK I see Grifter said that.
The clutch switch can be eliminated by simply following the wires to under the head light cowling,the trace going to the switch can be unplugged and the remaining male and female plugs plugged together like the factory thought the switch was dumb when they installed it on a "dirtbike"
The side stand switch can have the same thing done even if just for testing,green plug at the end of the trace,bridge it.

Don't worry about DR's,say hello Royal Enfield.

ADV8 screwed with this post 05-24-2012 at 05:45 PM
Old 05-24-2012, 06:15 PM   #64884
TRAVELGUY
Old Traveler

Oddometer: 591
Think I remember that the left side has a turn signal and license plate light plug. Right side just has turn signal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongle View Post
Mine were both on the left side by the rectifyer/reluctor (whatever that thing with the fins is called! I don't do electricity!) All I had to take off was left side cover/number plate. Good luck
DR650 '07
TRAVELGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 06:16 PM   #64885
BergDonk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,065
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADV8 View Post

So you coming from the top end to Sydney, and then back to Delhi? Presumably cheaper than going direct. Reminds me of the last time I was in Europe, ended up in Istanbul and it was cheaper to go back to Frankfurt first before heading home. 1,000 s of extra kms to save $, go figure...

Have a great trip, tis a different world over there, and remember they are all out to get you on the road for sure. And don't hit a cow.

Steve
Old 05-24-2012, 06:38 PM   #64886
ADV8
Taumarunui..Darwin..

Quote:
So you coming from the top end to Sydney, and then back to Delhi?
Steve
No I relocated from Darwin end of 2010 Steve.
About 80 kms north of Sydney now (2257)
The cow sounds like PNG when I worked there in 80's and don't hit a pig.

Old 05-24-2012, 06:42 PM   #64887
local1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 632
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Since its a theft recovery its hard to say what you're missing or whats been screwed with by the thieves. You may need to seek professional help. You for sure need a good copy of the wiring diagram and a good VOM.

Don't forget all the safety ignition cut outs on this bike. There are 3:
1. Clutch lever/perch (look at it, find where wires plug in) Clutch must be pulled IN to start bike.
2. Side Stand (same thing, wires go to side stand switch, unless its been removed) Bike will not start with stand down, in gear.
3. Kill switch. This one is obvious, but check it anyway.

If all the ignition switch wires are accounted for ... well that's a start. They may all need to be hooked up allow bike to start. Not sure on this.
A pro could probably get it going in a hour. Might be worth it to get help.
Might even learn something about elec. diagnostics.
i havent got it to start yet but i can hear the relays clicking..so it wont be long i hope..
this is it!!! thank you...clutch/side stand combination.
Old 05-24-2012, 06:57 PM   #64888
thumpididump
MacGyver

Oddometer: 2,435
I just got back from a business trip to Mumbai a few days ago, and took photos of lots of Royal Enfields. Always loved those bikes.

The biggest surprise for me was when I learned KTM recently expanded into the Indian market, and they even have a new model that is being sold ONLY in India (for the moment, at least).... It's the Duke 200 (Duke 125 has been sold in Europe for a couple of years). Anyway, it's a very nice little bike and super cheap because they are assembled in India where labour costs are peanuts ($2,500 price tag even includes insurance and license) .

I took one for a little test ride in the underground parking garage. I wanted to pack one in my suitcase to bring it home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADV8 View Post
. . .

FY-YFF
2014 KTM 690 Enduro R
thumpididump is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 07:00 PM   #64889
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,267
Quote:
Originally Posted by ER70S-2 View Post
They snap together in front of the seat bolts........

Just the side panels.......
Oops. This is my right side, under the seat. Not to dispute Mongle, to show the color difference, regardless where ya find 'em. Dark gray left side, light gray right side.

The frame is mutilated because the tailbag fights me everytime I remove the seat. This is the war zone.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 07:44 PM   #64890
Recon'd
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Geez I hope that little Duke comes to Oz. I think I just found the wife's new bike!
Recon'd is offline   Reply With Quote