ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-24-2012, 07:00 PM   #64906
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer
 
ER70S-2's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: SE Denver-ish
Oddometer: 3,992
Quote:
Originally Posted by ER70S-2 View Post
They snap together in front of the seat bolts........

Just the side panels.......
Oops. This is my right side, under the seat. Not to dispute Mongle, to show the color difference, regardless where ya find 'em. Dark gray left side, light gray right side.

The frame is mutilated because the tailbag fights me everytime I remove the seat. This is the war zone.

__________________
2004 DR650: 57,097 miles of

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 07:44 PM   #64907
Recon'd
Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: South Worst Oz
Oddometer: 30
Geez I hope that little Duke comes to Oz. I think I just found the wife's new bike!
Recon'd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 07:52 PM   #64908
Mongle
Knuckle dragger
 
Mongle's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: North Carolina Y'all
Oddometer: 1,943
Quote:
Originally Posted by ER70S-2 View Post
Oops. This is my right side, under the seat. Not to dispute Mongle, to show the color difference, regardless where ya find 'em. Dark gray left side, light gray right side.

The frame is mutilated because the tailbag fights me everytime I remove the seat. This is the war zone.

You are only disputing my memory....which as of lately isn't much of a dispute!
Mongle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 08:15 PM   #64909
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer
 
ER70S-2's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: SE Denver-ish
Oddometer: 3,992
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongle View Post
You are only disputing my memory....which as of lately isn't much of a dispute!
That's my scalp in the earlier pic, I'm intimately familiar with memory lapses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADV8 View Post
The opening and closing ramps on the cam shaft lobe might say different.
Quoted for the 'hard of reading'.
__________________
2004 DR650: 57,097 miles of

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -

ER70S-2 screwed with this post 05-24-2012 at 08:21 PM
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 08:45 PM   #64910
suguzzi
Greybeard
 
suguzzi's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: Kenilworth, UT
Oddometer: 37
Hiedenau tires

Do any of you inmates out there have any experience with the Hiedenau K60 tires? I have put a set on and thought from the tread depth, which is deeper than anything else I have found, would be a good choice for my trip tp Alaska. I am now thinking that I should maybe run Shinko 700s on the way up and ship the Hiedenaus up to a buddy of mine in Seward for putting on for the run up the haul road and then back to Utah. Anyone with an opinion. I just don't think any tire is going to make a round trip of 7000 miles.
suguzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 09:11 PM   #64911
ADV8
Taumarunui..Darwin..
 
ADV8's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: North of Sydney.
Oddometer: 2,110
On my own DR I cut a piece of inner tube and it goes over those ECU plugs and wiring like a boot to protect them from rubbing from the seat...fwiw.


Quote:
Originally Posted by ER70S-2 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpididump View Post
I just got back from a business trip to Mumbai a few days ago, and took photos of lots of Royal Enfields. Always loved those bikes.

The biggest surprise for me was when I learned KTM recently expanded into the Indian market, and they even have a new model that is being sold ONLY in India (for the moment, at least).... It's the Duke 200
That would make a great 'round town bike for sure,with no ADR approval they wouldn't let it into Australia I imagine.
__________________
Les .. 1968 Husqvarna MF250 and MF360 - 1971 Norton Commando Fastback - 1973 Kawasaki H2A - 1973 Ducati 750 GT - 1973 Moto Guzzi Eldorado - 1974 Kawasaki H2B - 1974 Triumph TR5T Trophy Trail - 1981 Ducati 900 SD - 1986 Husqvarna 400 WR - 1998 Suzuki TL1000S - 1998 Suzuki TL1000S - 2007 Ducati Hypermotard 1100S - 2008 Suzuki DR780.
ADV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 10:46 PM   #64912
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer
 
ER70S-2's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: SE Denver-ish
Oddometer: 3,992
This is mostly a repeat post on my part, for those keeping track.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potosi Joe View Post
I have the Procycle Secondary air filter. The K&N looking Baby filter for the Carb. What do you guys use to clean this filter with? How ofter do you clean it? It is covered with dust after a two day 500mile gravel ride. Thanks Joe, Pic from Procycle web site.
I don't care for the K&N style air filters, but at least this one has some surface area compared to the dry POS that comes stock. If you're going to use one of these, at least use the lube designed for them.

I thought I'd put this in Krusty's DR650 Index, but I haven't, so I can't post a link. It's another one of those I'm going to have to finish tomorrow. I'm runnin' outta daylite.

Quickie:
For those with a memory, it was the one with Rusty Rocket's idea of using a Briggs & Stratton lawnmower filter.

The anemic little stocker is on the right (and it's swollen, I had just cleaned it in gas). It was dry and scary dusty.





How to get the stock one out to clean, oil, re-install. Put the plastic clip back in, then push the oiled Briggs in on top.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
I have the same filter. It does not filter dirt all that well. Really?
Pull it out and stick your finger down the rubber tube. I found dirt and grit down there on mine. Yes, filter was dirty, but not that bad. This type of filter flow lots of air ... and dirt.

I put a piece of "Filter Skin" gauze over my filter for riding dusty conditions. Seems to reduce the amount of dirt sucked in.
I clean my filter after any dirt excursions or when doing the main air filter. To Clean: Simply wash it in solvent, then is dish soap, rinse well, dry and re-oil with filter oil. (lightly)
With Rusty's idea, shown here, completely neglected , there was no dust in the rubber tube. You can see where the sludge was flaking off, exposing fresh, oiled filter surface area.
Just like the original Filtron foam filter was designed to do. Oops, mighta dated myself a bit there.



More better:
__________________
2004 DR650: 57,097 miles of

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 10:47 PM   #64913
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams
 
Adv Grifter's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Passing ADV Stalkers in California
Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpididump View Post
I just got back from a business trip to Mumbai a few days ago, and took photos of lots of Royal Enfields. Always loved those bikes.

The biggest surprise for me was when I learned KTM recently expanded into the Indian market, and they even have a new model that is being sold ONLY in India (for the moment, at least).... It's the Duke 200 (Duke 125 has been sold in Europe for a couple of years). Anyway, it's a very nice little bike and super cheap because they are assembled in India where labour costs are peanuts ($2,500 price tag even includes insurance and license) .

I took one for a little test ride in the underground parking garage. I wanted to pack one in my suitcase to bring it home.

Indian Auto/Bike manufacturer Bajaj own 40% of KTM, with plans to buy more. I've seen this bike in the press for the last year. It's awesome ... and good to hear its reasonable in India. The 125 is already being imported to EU, not sure about the 200. I say bring it to the US, I'd bet it'd sell if its price is competitive.

And it might be really cool to tour India on if it's tough enough! (having ridden the "New" Enfields, not a huge fan. I like brakes! Bajaj also make the cool Pulsars you may have seen on the streets there. They also make a couple 150 or 200cc dual sport bikes (forget model name) that have good reps with travelers there.

Here's some info on KTM/Bajaj deal and the Duke 200.

http://www.livemint.com/2012/01/2418...debut-wit.html
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 11:08 PM   #64914
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer
 
ER70S-2's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: SE Denver-ish
Oddometer: 3,992
Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpididump View Post
I wanted to pack one in my suitcase to bring it home.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADV8 View Post
That would make a great 'round town bike for sure, with no ADR approval they wouldn't let it into Australia I imagine.
It'll be in your suitcase; who's gonna tell 'em?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADV8 View Post
On my own DR I cut a piece of inner tube and it goes over those ECU plugs and wiring like a boot to protect them from rubbing from the seat...fwiw.
Thanks for the tip.
__________________
2004 DR650: 57,097 miles of

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 03:07 AM   #64915
Magnum Noel
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Magnum Noel's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Wellington NZ
Oddometer: 159
My real thumb.

tis a chubby little thumb to be sure
Magnum Noel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 05:01 AM   #64916
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner
 
Albie's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: Upstate SC
Oddometer: 7,563
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexTalionis View Post
Realtors like to say, "Location, location, location." Wouldn't be surprised to find the dealer in Dallas has more overhead that needs to be covered than the one in Texarkana. It's not always and entirely seller greed.

Lex
Nah, the bogus $600+ for freight and prep that most of the Dallas dealers charge per bike covers the overhead.
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 05:27 AM   #64917
Born-to-ride
GSXR!!!
 
Born-to-ride's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Australia
Oddometer: 58
Any one know where I can buy a adaptor sleeve to use between a FCR MX carb and stock airbox on the DR?? Either Oss or USA


---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?ipl2hx
Born-to-ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 06:19 AM   #64918
thumpididump
MacGyver
 
thumpididump's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Germany
Oddometer: 2,163
Interesting to hear that Bajaj owns a big chunk of KTM. Didn't know that. The sales people at the dealer didn't know anything about anything.... didn't know anything about any other KTM model, and didn't seem to know much about bikes in general.

Oh well, I was very impressed with the bike. Fueling seemed very good. And it had top notch build quality. I'd love to see that bike come to North America. A real competitor for my WR250X.

A few more pics of it here, plus some other bikes I saw:

http://www.fy-yff.com/2012/05/mumbai-motorbikes.html




Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Indian Auto/Bike manufacturer Bajaj own 40% of KTM, with plans to buy more. I've seen this bike in the press for the last year. It's awesome ... and good to hear its reasonable in India. The 125 is already being imported to EU, not sure about the 200. I say bring it to the US, I'd bet it'd sell if its price is competitive.

And it might be really cool to tour India on if it's tough enough! (having ridden the "New" Enfields, not a huge fan. I like brakes! Bajaj also make the cool Pulsars you may have seen on the streets there. They also make a couple 150 or 200cc dual sport bikes (forget model name) that have good reps with travelers there.

Here's some info on KTM/Bajaj deal and the Duke 200.

http://www.livemint.com/2012/01/2418...debut-wit.html
__________________
_______________

"You can't put the shit back in the donkey." - Tony Soprano

FYYFF
thumpididump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 06:22 AM   #64919
Speedo66
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Candlewood Lake, Fairfield Cty, CT
Oddometer: 5,891
Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpididump View Post

Anyway, it's a very nice little bike and super cheap because they are assembled in India where labour costs are peanuts ($2,500 price tag even includes insurance and license) .



You couldn't get a KTM repaired here for that price.
__________________
Oh I used to be disgusted, but now I try to be amused-E.Costello
'01 Kawasaki W650, '05 Yamaha XT225



Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 07:41 AM   #64920
maynard911
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Bisbee AZ
Oddometer: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaddix View Post
Looked again today and it looks like magneto cover is leaking along with base gasket on the left side. I had the oil filled up to the F line and I let some out til its right at half between the low and full lines cold. I'm hoping I just had too much oil in it
Check your owners manual. To check the level, run the engine for a few minutes, turn off, and then wait 3 minutes. The level will be a bit lower than if you just checked it cold without running the engine.
__________________
Maynard " Youth is fleeting, immaturity is forever"
maynard911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 10:18 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014