Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-26-2012, 08:14 AM   #64936
acap650
acap650

Oddometer: 625
Quote:
Originally Posted by epix1718 View Post
Month from today leaving on a 2500 mile trip, will be nearly all on-road as couple guys coming along are taking street bikes/cruisers.

I'll have my DR650 on supermoto wheels and currently running a 14/43 gearing which is real fun around town but pretty rev happy for 60mph (~4300 rpm). How would switching to 16/42 be for the trip? We don't really plan on taking freeways but mainly back roads and small highways were we will average about 50mph or so.

I'd like to keep the revs down a bit lower to help save on fuel.

Any of you guys running the 16/42?
I'm about to do a 5K run and have been running 16/42 for awhile. It works well for pavement and mild dirt roads and extends the happy zone about 10mph. 70-75mph (80mph indicated) is comfortable for me on the slab and 2 lane pavement is just as much fun as with stock gearing, it just lacks some low speed grunt.

You could leave the 43T rear if the chain is long enough, mine is two notches below "2" on the adjusters with a 12k mile chain.

Good luck.
acap650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 08:28 AM   #64937
gregdee
Motocampist

Oddometer: 426
acerbis 5.3 gal tank install

Please help! I get the impression this must be obvious because no one is discussing it. We just received an new 5.3 gal tank for the wife's DR and we're trying to install it. But I can't figure out what to do with the other line that goes over to the output side of the carb. The petcock that came with the tank only has a single connection while the stock one has two. Do I use the stock petcock?
gregdee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 08:32 AM   #64938
Olas
the darkness

Oddometer: 3,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregdee View Post
Please help! I get the impression this must be obvious because no one is discussing it. We just received an new 5.3 gal tank for the wife's DR and we're trying to install it. But I can't figure out what to do with the other line that goes over to the output side of the carb. The petcock that came with the tank only has a single connection while the stock one has two. Do I use the stock petcock?
Plug it and hide it somewhere...It's not needed unless you're using the stock vacuum operated petcock.
Olas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 08:35 AM   #64939
gregdee
Motocampist

Oddometer: 426
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olas View Post
Plug it and hide it somewhere...It's not needed unless you're using the stock vacuum operated petcock.
So, fold it over and put a zip tie or piece of wire around it?
gregdee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 08:51 AM   #64940
opium89
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by ER70S-2 View Post
Those are stock forks. The fork gaiters should be slid up to the bottom triple.

DAMN!!! There's sum rokz.

There are also ample opportunities to make a mistake that would ruin yer whole week!!!

Rockin' good tunes, too.
As suspected, thanks for the info!
Old 05-26-2012, 09:02 AM   #64941
Olas
the darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregdee View Post
So, fold it over and put a zip tie or piece of wire around it?
I took the hose off and used a plug from the auto parts store to plug the outlet on the carb.

You could also stick a bolt in the hose and then zip tie the bolt to secure it.

Folding it over might work, but with heat and time it might create a leak where it was folded over as the rubber cracks.
Old 05-26-2012, 09:30 AM   #64942
zdiver1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 467
Rubber hose?

Quote:
Look at the fitting closer, there's a groove cut the full diameter. It doesn't matter where the bolt tightens.
Really sorry to hear the one NSU was already backing out.

OBTW:

However, it comes with this:

spend all that money on that cool disk and no SS hose.
I would imagine the big disk with the rubber hose is equal to a stock disk with stainless steel hose in braking power.

zdiver1 screwed with this post 05-26-2012 at 10:19 AM
zdiver1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 09:50 AM   #64943
996DL
Buell me

Oddometer: 2,151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech23 View Post
Some people like that rubber band throttle cable feeling. It keeps things from happening too quickly.

Tech23
At my age, I don't need nor want to loft the wheel over logs , although the Moose badged G2 CRF quick turn throttle tube, eases the effort to enjoy mid range roll ons, on this pampered strong running roadie...

996DL
996DL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 10:31 AM   #64944
thumpididump
MacGyver

Oddometer: 2,593
Nice! Be careful not jerk your eye balls out of their sockets if you grab the bakes quickly!

Quote:
Look at the fitting closer, there's a groove cut the full diameter. It doesn't matter where the bolt tightens.
Really sorry to hear the one NSU was already backing out.

OBTW:

However, it comes with this:

Sent from my Galaxy Tab 10.1 with TapaTalk
thumpididump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 10:45 AM   #64945
local1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 642
I have ran into another problem while trying to get my new to me bike to start.the starter doesn't work.I guess you can see where this would be a problem..my question is does anyone know what other bikes this starter was used on? I am going to try and find a used on and was hoping it was used on others as well..mine is a 97 model..thanks
Old 05-26-2012, 11:27 AM   #64946
opium89
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,136
Another few questions for you folks. What do you recommend as replacement levers for the clutch and front brake? The ones currently on the bike have a lot of horizontal slop in them. This being my first DR, I am not sure if they are worn, or just like that. For replacements, I would prefer to find something strong and light.

Second question, this bikes going to need bearings. Swing arm, triple, wheel bearings...I am sure they are all going to need a refresh. Are you using stock bearings, or is there good quality aftermarket options available?

Last one, what do you recommend for a good quality, durable clutch? This bike's going to do the T.A.T. next year, so it's definitely on the replacement list.

EDIT: A little reading turned up this.

http://www.starcycle-usa.com/servlet...11-1996/Detail

Any feedback on the EBC kit from those who have installed it?

As always, any info is appreciated. Thanks!

opium89 screwed with this post 05-26-2012 at 11:34 AM
opium89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 11:57 AM   #64947
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,926
Quote:
Originally Posted by XPLRN View Post
It's a mellow Saturday evening and I've got some time to address the above "Nope" response. Maybe some pictures will help........this is a stock DR650 operator foot peg assembly with two rubber dampening bushings and center metal sleeves/bushings that the bolts clamp thru to hold it to the *round* mounting stand-offs coming off the frame tube. This is stuff that most DR650 owners have seen before if they have removed their operator foot peg brackets.

This picture shows the CNC machined drop bracket for the operator foot peg assembly....I chose to coat mine with spray-on truck bed liner material. There is a round stand-off that duplicates the diameter of the original round stand-of on the DR650 frame.

Also there is a hardened washer(slightly smaller diameter than the stand-off) that goes up against the machined aluminum stand-off surface to take the clamp load of the steel bushing when the operator foot peg is mounted to the drop bracket. Here is a picture that shows that;

PS..........my bike was the test bike for the prototyping of these drop brackets so that is why I have the above info.
XPLRN, thanks for taking the time to post pics and explain. I used NordieBoy's template and made my own brackets. To retain the cushion I used washers as shown in the second pic. At that time, several guys were using larger washers to get rid of the cushioned pegs. I hope your friend is able to sell the last sets, he took the time to make a well thought out product.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 996DL View Post
Each to their own, but horror stories of rejetted BST40's, is so fucking amusing.

996DL
And frequent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug s. View Post
yust don't ever ride a dr650 w/a properly set up tm40 or fcr39 carb, and you will remain happy. my bike ran fine w/the stock carb. but now, it really runs great...

doug s.
I rode my DR for 15k miles before considering suspension mods, ignorance is bliss. It was expensive but would be the first second thing I do on my next DR (right after the concrete seat). It's a remarkable improvement.
I fear that the TM-40 may have the same effect, ignorance is bliss II.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 12:07 PM   #64948
Olas
the darkness

Well, I found a nice looking FCR 39 on ebay off an '06 YFZ450 that I will be adapting to my DR650. Cost was $150 shipped and I hope that with re-jetting and the cost of the adapter needed for the airbox boot I will have it ready to go for < $225.

I have emailed mxrob about getting the adapter for the airboot from him, but I'm not sure if he actually sells these. Waiting to hear back still. He has the dimensions needed to have a machine shop make one online but I hope I can just get one from him.

Anyone that has gone this route - where did you get the adapter?
Old 05-26-2012, 12:12 PM   #64949
canuckAME
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 704
I installed the TM40 carb.The jetting seems to be good. Just wondering if setting up the AP to squirt sooner on rapid throttle opening is better for performance. The bike doesn't hesitate or bog when you twist the throttle but it does start to accelerate and then really pulls hard. Would a quicker squirt help out?

Thanks
canuckAME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 12:23 PM   #64950
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,926
Quote:
Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
The 1150 rider put his foot down at the wrong time and the rock moved...
Torn muscles up the back of his leg.
That's why I got to ride the 1150...
I didn't see anything there that would be fun on an 1150.

Quote:
Originally Posted by epix1718 View Post
Month from today leaving on a 2500 mile trip, will be nearly all on-road as couple guys coming along are taking street bikes/cruisers.

I'll have my DR650 on supermoto wheels and currently running a 14/43 gearing which is real fun around town but pretty rev happy for 60mph (~4300 rpm). How would switching to 16/42 be for the trip? We don't really plan on taking freeways but mainly back roads and small highways were we will average about 50mph or so.

I'd like to keep the revs down a bit lower to help save on fuel.

Any of you guys running the 16/42?
I like what the 16t does for the DR in a mellow environment. But I don't use 5th until 60mph. If your speeds will be under 65-70, the stock 15t works very well. I don't know if the 16t will fit with a 43t rear. Looking at mine (16-42), the cam is at 1.1, so there should be enough chain for just one more tooth.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote