Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-2012, 11:21 PM   #65476
BergDonk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
That's a great mod. I've always felt the DR pegs are too far forward. Makes it more difficult to transition from seated to standing. Also not ideal for aggressive street riding.

I notice this more dramatically when getting off my Yam WR250 and onto the DR. Once I'm up on the DR I'm not too bothered (could be better of course) but its the getting up and down all day that wears on me. I don't mind the height of the pegs (I am short) but would love them further back.

Interesting you didn't notice vibes. I've not tried rider pegs undamped. Only passenger pegs, which were awful, IMO. But of course they mount in a different place. Wish I had a machine shop!
I originally cut down and rearset the stock hangers but never really came to terms with the rubber mounts. Being heavier than average might not have helped re their movement either. Also the rearsetting probably put more load on the rear bolt too which would not have helped re movement. The vibes are a non issue through the pegs for me, but I did fiddle with bar end weights to get that better. Its all solid mounts to the top triple too. I did some nerve damage to my right arm road racing many years ago and still suffer the after effects if the ergos and vibes through the hands aren't right, and still do anyway some days, just try to delay the onset and manage it.

With the pegs back and the bars up and forward the standing position not so awkward. Trying to stand and have your arms going straight down gives no leverage on the bars, means you are off balance, and limited sustainability because you use lots of energy to maintain the position. The seat peg relationship, along with leg length determines how easy it is to transition to standing. Having stuffed knees means I pay attention to getting this right.

Steve.

BergDonk screwed with this post 06-05-2012 at 11:28 PM
BergDonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 12:23 AM   #65477
Seventy One
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 396
I recently installed the Pro-Cycle jet kit in my stock '09 DR650 and want to know if the pilot jet should also be changed.

I read through the BST40 Bible thread and it says that the pilot jet should be increased from the stock 145 to 147.5 if running a cut air box and aftermarket exhaust. The Pro-Cycle kit did not include this.

Is this the part I need? http://www.motorcyclecarbs.com/MIKUN...__P2617C26.cfm

Also, I seem to have misplaced my instructions for the Pro-Cycle jet kit. Could someone scan them and post 'em for me? I just really need to double check a few things. The bike runs pretty well but does have a little surge at 55-65 mph and an annoying tendancy to want to stall (just above idle) when warm. Thanks!
2013 Tiger 800XC
Seventy One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 12:27 AM   #65478
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,650
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergDonk View Post
DRZ400? Looks like stock shock though. Might be doing one for a mate down the coast. He's got a DR650 and 3 DRZ400s, and thinks one could donate its suspension to the DR650. We shall see.

Steve
They are a set of 1998 RM250 Showa forks with .55 springs. Dual chamber cartridges. The Suspension Smith stripped and rebuilt them. I got them on Flea Bay for $170, but they cost a total of $670 (including revalve and springs and postage) by the time they were back to "as new".

300mm of shear bloooody luxury.

Externally they are very similar, but not the same, as the DRZ forks. They are 50mm. Fully adjustable.

Not as good as the 2 USD DRs I built. But a damn sight better than standard.

Rear end is the Standard shock with the RaceTech internals. Very nice. I think the spring was an 8.3kg/mm IIRC. Better than going the gold valve option, that I wasted money on previously. Not as good as my RMZ rear end conversion, but less problems from a "registration" point of view.

Note the footpegs in the picture. Positioned right where I want them and no under hanging parts to get smashed.

If only I could get a decent bash plate...it's only been a couple of years...family hey!

My DRMZ "Super Enduro" is upside down in the garage with the engine stripped out and the lower frame in various stages of welded back together after Saturdays meeting with the rock. It crushed the frame rail under the engine, and broke the welds around the footpeg mounts. I couldn't cut it out with the engine in, and I couldn't get the engine out with the frame bent, so I had to heat the tube up with the blowtorch and made a slide hammer and pulled the frame tube roughly straight, away from the engine, removed engine and then cut the busted section out, but only after I'd made a jig to hold it all in line.

Sometimes shit just happens.
Snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 12:51 AM   #65479
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seventy One View Post
The bike runs pretty well but does have a little surge at 55-65 mph and an annoying tendancy to want to stall (just above idle) when warm. Thanks!
Yeah, that can be hard to pin down. I have one DR that doesn't do it and one that does.

To cure it, I made it worse. That helped me figure out what was causing it. Not that I did that deliberately, but that was the net result.

Essentially, on my MOST modified DR, I run the Dynojet needle, a 155 main, stock idle jet, 2 full turns mixture, 4 coils cut from the return slide spring, and I drilled out the hole in the slide and added another hole the same size as the original hole. I removed the step from inside the slide, and measured the height change and adjusted the needle accordingly.

I have NO airbox, just a pod filter. That's because i cut all the rear suspension off it and grafted an RMZ rear on, the shock mounts centrally.

During testing, it surged like a bastard because the slide spring was allowing the slide to float up and down a little. I had originally cut 3 coils off, and so I cut off a 4th, made it worse, stretched the spring, stretched it again after a test session, and finally got it right. But it still had the idle problem. I was in the middle of changing the muffler, so I fitted a modified WR450 muffler, with the stock restrictors removed. Straight through, see daylight.

It returns to idle perfectly. It runs better all around. Fuel consumption on trips and trail rides is roughly the same as standard and guys that have ridden it say it goes very nearly as hard as a pumper equipped version.

On my other DR I have the same jets, same needle, 3 coils cut from the spring, 3.5mm hole in slide and the slide step removed, needle raised 2 clips to compensate. It has the standard airbox with the side cover off, the same 2 turns on the mixture screw, and a modified DR exhaust. It tends to want to stall returning to idle. If you snap the throttle open and drop it straight off it drops slightly below idle speed. When hot it can stall. Otherwise it runs really strong and is about average for a DR on fuel consumption.

I believe changing the exhaust will fix the idle stall issue. That's what fixed it on the other DR. I changed the muffler on it and the problem just disappeared. I tried changing jets, needle height, mixture, and opening the airbox on the second DR, but none of it fixed the problem. Made it a little better, but I couldn't get it right. I drilled some holes in the back of the muffler (Snowys patented "Speed holes") and it got better, but still does it slightly.

Note: I was told that modifying the carb to that extent would kill it. It now has 20,000km of trail riding since mods, and it's as strong as ever. The carb looks like the day I first pulled it apart. Spotless and no wear.
Old 06-06-2012, 12:58 AM   #65480
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailrider383 View Post
You need to post your skidplate picture in this thread I started: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=790410

The first pic is of my DR650 skidplate.
Is that like a rule, or some sort of pissing match?

It's dead. It isn't as dead as some Iv'e killed, but it's dead. I tore the BMW one clean off.

B&B...a good entry level bash plate. But if you play harder, you'll kill it. Not enough protection for the cases for my liking. I've holed a stator and a clutch cover now with the B&B on. Both a long way from home.

But it was cheap.
Old 06-06-2012, 01:02 AM   #65481
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,995
thought i'd post this directly in our own thread.

-wolfman generation 2 racks
-expedition dry saddle bags - black
-optional inner stuff sacks

for sale as package. brand new in box.
http://www.wolfmanluggage.com/Expedi...ddle_bags.html
http://www.wolfmanluggage.com/Access...tuff_sack.html
whole package shipped to you for $400

pm me for pics
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com

eakins screwed with this post 06-06-2012 at 09:57 AM
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 01:37 AM   #65482
BergDonk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowy View Post
They are a set of 1998 RM250 Showa forks with .55 springs. Dual chamber cartridges. The Suspension Smith stripped and rebuilt them. I got them on Flea Bay for $170, but they cost a total of $670 (including revalve and springs and postage) by the time they were back to "as new". Are you sure they're dual chamber though? Though they were single, whatever.

300mm of shear bloooody luxury.

Externally they are very similar, but not the same, as the DRZ forks. They are 50mm. Fully adjustable.

Not as good as the 2 USD DRs I built. But a damn sight better than standard.

Rear end is the Standard shock with the RaceTech internals. Very nice. I think the spring was an 8.3kg/mm IIRC. Better than going the gold valve option, that I wasted money on previously. Not as good as my RMZ rear end conversion, but less problems from a "registration" point of view.

Note the footpegs in the picture. Positioned right where I want them and no under hanging parts to get smashed.

If only I could get a decent bash plate...it's only been a couple of years...family hey!

My DRMZ "Super Enduro" is upside down in the garage with the engine stripped out and the lower frame in various stages of welded back together after Saturdays meeting with the rock. It crushed the frame rail under the engine, and broke the welds around the footpeg mounts. I couldn't cut it out with the engine in, and I couldn't get the engine out with the frame bent, so I had to heat the tube up with the blowtorch and made a slide hammer and pulled the frame tube roughly straight, away from the engine, removed engine and then cut the busted section out, but only after I'd made a jig to hold it all in line.

Sometimes shit just happens.
Ah yes, they were a very good fork. The conventional WP Extremes on my FE501 are similarly aged and very good too. When I was looking for forks for my DR they were both on the shopping list at the time.

I've been out in the shed today tweaking the frame on my Scorpa SY250R. Got it a few months ago as a learn to ride properly project and it needs a little tidying up. The frame was a bit bent, so some hacksaw cuts, some hydraulic pressure and the TIG seems to have it sorted. Another day or so of TLC and she'll be good to go, even though its perfectly rideable as is, but shed time is.......

Steve
Old 06-06-2012, 01:53 AM   #65483
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

This semi retired thing leads to a lot of time in the shed. I was running a construction job in town and I cracked the shits and walked out. I will never ever work construction in this hole again. They are retarded. The guy that replaced me has had a nervous breakdown, and the guy that replaced him has quit. Now they're advertising, and no ones answering.

I like tinkering in the shed. It's relaxing. Just have to think of a way to make it pay.

But then it wouldn't be the same...would it?
Old 06-06-2012, 01:54 AM   #65484
ADV8
Taumarunui..Darwin..

Oddometer: 2,230
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowy View Post
Is that like a rule, or some sort of pissing match?
Good to see you back Snowy.
49 Sunbeam S7 Deluxe-57 TR6 Trophy-68 Huskys x 2-71 Commando Fastback-73 Ducati 750GT-73 Eldorado-74 TR5T x 2-74 Commando Roadster-73 and 74 H2A/B-77 and 81 900SD's-86 400WR-98 TL1000S x 2-08 DR780-07 Ducati HM 1100S
ADV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 02:56 AM   #65485
YnotJP?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,307
OPIUM89, I have the Procycle solid lowered pegs, I can see not difference in vibration from stock,and really like the wider, lower factors. I am glad I went to them.
YnotJP? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 03:02 AM   #65486
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by YnotJP? View Post
OPIUM89, I have the Procycle solid lowered pegs, I can see not difference in vibration from stock,and really like the wider, lower factors. I am glad I went to them.
I made my own. Same thing, didn't feel anything.
Old 06-06-2012, 04:08 AM   #65487
Motodeficient
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by sagebrushocean View Post
That's because you sit a lot closer to the rear axle than to the front axle. Take a look at your bike and you'll see what I mean.
Of course, thats quite obvious. Thats why I was confused when the poster didn't believe that going to supermoto and lowering the rear shock lowers the ride height of the bike.
Motodeficient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 05:21 AM   #65488
rowie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by notarat View Post
Well the oversized header does not fit my bike.
Hessler in Germany has one

http://www.dr-big-shop.de/shop/produ...roducts_id=610

Might be worthwhile looking into?
Old 06-06-2012, 05:49 AM   #65489
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 9,385
Pm'd Bill,
Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
thought i'd post this directly in our own thread.

-wolfman generation 2 racks
-expedition dry saddle bags
-optional inner stuff sacks

for sale as package. brand new in box.
http://www.wolfmanluggage.com/Expedi...ddle_bags.html
http://www.wolfmanluggage.com/Access...tuff_sack.html
whole package shipped to you for $400

pm me for pics

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 06:32 AM   #65490
rockard
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by alonzo View Post
Nice bike! What forks? What's the blue thing under the gas tank?

-- alonzo
Forks? CR250
Blue thing under de gas tank? aluminium oil cooler
rockard is offline   Reply With Quote