Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-2012, 11:16 AM   #65476
Bob808
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by planemanx15 View Post
I havent read this thread is a while, so please excuse me is I say something that was just said. I will be replacing my fork seals and bushing soon. Do i need to buy or build a Damper Rod Holder Tool or will an impact wrench to the allen bolt on the bottom do the job?
Go for the bolt route. I did it and it cost me about 5$ with all parts. Be sure to have an extender to hold it.

On a side note, I need to put my engine back together and need to get a complete gaskets kit. Do you recommend the Athena one? It's the only one I can get locally for about 144$. Seems kinda steep. I'd get one online but I need to be sure that it won't damage the engine. I've red some horror stories with Athena gaskets for other bikes.
Bob808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 11:38 AM   #65477
Nibis
Where to next?

Oddometer: 844
Quote:
Originally Posted by notarat View Post
Well the oversized header does not fit my bike.

As Jesse said, it hits my frame, and pretty badly at that.

Since it was the 3rd time on 3 different bikes that I've encountered FMF failure, I took the time to send them an email that I'm sure they'll just delete and laugh about. I will be contacting procycle later today for a refund or swap to a pipe that actually fits.

My email to those Fucking Moronic Fucks is below:

To Whom it May (or more likely, will not) Concern,

I purchased your FMF Oversized header for my 2012 Suzuki DR-650SE motorcycle.

It does not fit.

It contacts the frame so badly it is not even close to fitting.

I was very wary about purchasing your product in the first place because of the horrible experiences I had previously with the Powerbomb header for my 2008 Yamaha WR250X and my 2007 Kawasaki KLX250S.

In any event, it would seem that yours is the only header I could find being offered for the DR so I went ahead and gave your company one, last try at making a product that doesn't require a signed waiver of liability, recent tetanus shot, and chainmail gloves to handle.

It would seem I was wrong. Tell me honestly, do you have a large amount of stock in the Band-Aid company? Besides not fitting, which is usually what a part is designed to do in the first place, the razor sharp edge on the end of the pipe sliced my finger to shreds.

I sent your company several emails about these same issues with my Kawasaki and Yamaha, and your paragon of customer service, who goes by the moniker "Hector", basically said, "Who else are you going to buy from?"

You may remember reading my email in response to Hector that included links to pictures showing the many defects in both of those headers that were seemingly cut and welded by someone with down's syndrome using a $100 harbor freight welder.

Or maybe you remember my comment in that email about the powerbomb having a larger diameter section in it because you just can't fit in that much shit-tastic using a normal diameter pipe? Or maybe my comment about your QA department being deported before they could spot the large metal burrs that ripped the flesh out of my hand the first time I picked up the header for the Kawasaki.

While I do subscribe to the belief that scars are just tattoos but with better stories, I'm not in the fucking Yakuza (See what I did there? ) nor am I looking to write a fucking novel (in scars) about your parts.

My suggestion:

Start making parts that fit. After that, then you can concentrate on making them perform.

Until then, I'd rather walk than use your products.
Nice !
Old 06-05-2012, 11:45 AM   #65478
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,588
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motodeficient View Post
Thanks for all the comments on advise on my squirrely DR650 supermoto. There has been a lot of very useful and interesting information discussed.

Last night I moved the rear shock to the lowered position.
Good start.
Quote:
I haven't had a chance to ride it yet due to weather.
We're waiting.................

Quote:
But boy, does it look strange with the rear end so low!
Pics or it didn't happen. The 17" front dropped the front of the bike 'about' two inches. Putting the shock bolt in the lowered position dropped the rear 1.5", so you're closer to the stock suspension relationship; most importantly rake and trail.
Quote:
I am 6' and I don't know if this is going to work for me.
This would have surprised me too. I don't remember anyone mentioning that going SM lowered the bike. But I usually just speed read the SM stuff. It seems that I recently saw a pic of Goodcat's bike with the short (silver) kickstand, but it didn't register. I'm not 6' though and would like a shorter seat height.
Quote:
I will take it for a ride and unless there is a drastic change for the better in terms of stability, I am going to put it back to the higher setting. I didn't measure my race or static sag last night, but I suspect I don't have enough sag. So maybe the raised shock setting with less sag will be ok.
Stock shock preload:
10.0" (253.5mm) Softest
9.7" (247.5mm) Standard
9.4" (238.5mm) Stiffest

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -

ER70S-2 screwed with this post 06-05-2012 at 04:58 PM
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 12:04 PM   #65479
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
Sounds like you need to do the T mod on your carb breather.
I agree. Probably a Carb vent or breather hose is sucking in some water. Mine stock set up is long gone so can't recall what stock looks like. But any hoses hanging down under linkage are suspect. A "T" arrangement can help.

After you sort it out ... drain float bowl just for luck.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 12:11 PM   #65480
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by DockingPilot View Post
impact
DITTO. I even used a Allen ... and just whacked it with a hammer! Viola!
Air/Impact wrench is the right way however.
Old 06-05-2012, 12:22 PM   #65481
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob808 View Post
I've red some horror stories with Athena gaskets for other bikes.
So have I! Imagine that!
There is a small motor company located in Hammahatsu, Japan called ... SUZUKI. Last I checked they make gaskets you need. What is wrong with OEM? Just order the ones you need ... re-use original good ones or order this for half the price of Athena:

http://www.babbittsonline.com/suzuki...01/56022770001
Old 06-05-2012, 12:35 PM   #65482
froggy68
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
Slip on Exhaust and K&N Air Filter Question

Question: If I change out my stock air filter with a K&N Filter and if I add a slip on exhaust like a FMF Q4 muffler, will I have to rejet the stock carb on my DR650se to a richer mixture? I know on my harley if I change to a high flow air filter and custom exhaust it would require a tuneable mapping device to adjust the lean fuel condition..

Is the stock carb on the DR lean from the factory? I hope this makes sense as I am new to carburated bikes.

Year: 2007
froggy68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 12:46 PM   #65483
P-P
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by docbert View Post
I have a 2011 DR650 that has twice developed a problem when riding in the rain. In both cases, within a few miles of 60 to 65 MPH riding in heavy rain, the engine will not idle and requires some throttle to avoid stalling. Normal operation resumes after a few minutes of riding, or setting, in dry conditions. I have checked for water in air box and found no evidence of a problem. I have also inspected the clamps at boot air box and carb and see no evidence of a poor seal. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Is there icing on the carb? Had that problem with an old baja bug - carb would freeze and stall motor, then be just fine as it warmed back up from heat of engine.
Old 06-05-2012, 12:53 PM   #65484
Bob808
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
So have I! Imagine that!
There is a small motor company located in Hammahatsu, Japan called ... SUZUKI. Last I checked they make gaskets you need. What is wrong with OEM? Just order the ones you need ... re-use original good ones or order this for half the price of Athena:

http://www.babbittsonline.com/suzuki...01/56022770001
I don't dare to use any original gasket. Most of them turned to stone
I do care about the factory ones just that I thought that I need to order them piece by piece. Any word on the gasket set sold by procycle? Seems to have extras like valve seals.
Bob808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 01:10 PM   #65485
N.dica
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
Seeking DR350 rear and 2001 Gixxer 1k can

Hey inmates- its been a while since Ive been in. I keep modding my beast and am currently seeking a rear 18" DR350 cush wheel, and the 2001 GSXR1000 titanium can. I haven't been having any luck on Ebay or craigslist, so I thought I'd put the word out if any of you all might have a bead on these parts. PM me if you hear of anything please. Im in the USA.

Also, Im getting rid of some former parts if anyone is interested for whatever reason-
They include:
Stock carb, rejetted with jets etc ala procycle kit (oem number jets)
stock rear rack
Saddle minus vinyl (well- a crap vinyl rewrap)
Front wheel including hub and disk in good shape
Original rear shock if anyone wants a spare to modify
Original tank and petcock (no decals, white and buffed off paint to make look like a snow camo)

I can send pics of whatever-

Trying to offset the cost of my upcoming 790 big bore:) heh heh

Good to see you inmates serving life sentences still here- welcome to all the converts! best wishes!

Oh-- also I swapped my front end for 98RM250 forks, tree and wheel--
so im seeking a bigger front disk solution that will work with that hub
AND
The '98 fork tubes are 48mm showas- and off sized so i havent been able to put on a regular headlight bracket- ive got something rigged but at super high speeds the headlight vibrates and its starting to annoy me as well as the other drivers......at least they are sure to notice me, though- haha-any thoughts on tube brackets for those lights? Thanks again!

N.dica screwed with this post 06-05-2012 at 01:15 PM Reason: more to say
N.dica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 01:21 PM   #65486
Escaped
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 430
Yes the stock carb is lean from the factory.

The general basic upgrade path is (dramatic performance improvement and you will lose a few MPG):

Modify air box
Upgrade air filter
Install jet kit
Install extended fuel screw
Grind header weld
install lighter, better flowing muffler

Instead of jet kit many replace stock carb with a Mikuni TM40 pumper carb ($450)

Quote:
Originally Posted by froggy68 View Post
Question: If I change out my stock air filter with a K&N Filter and if I add a slip on exhaust like a FMF Q4 muffler, will I have to rejet the stock carb on my DR650se to a richer mixture? I know on my harley if I change to a high flow air filter and custom exhaust it would require a tuneable mapping device to adjust the lean fuel condition..

Is the stock carb on the DR lean from the factory? I hope this makes sense as I am new to carburated bikes.

Year: 2007

DR650 - Living the Dream!
Escaped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 01:21 PM   #65487
Motodeficient
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by ER70S-2 View Post
Good start. We're waiting.................

This would have surprised me too. I don't remember anyone mentioning that going SM lowered the bike. But I usually just speed read the SM stuff. It seems that I recently saw a pic of Goodcat's bike with the short (silver) kickstand, but it didn't register. I'm not 6' though and would like a shorter seat height.t
Thanks for your response, this confused me though? Going to supermoto lowers the front of the bike due to the smaller wheel, and when I moved the rear shock to the lower position the back is now lower too. I could flat foot the bike in stock form and still have my knees slightly bent. Now that its lowered front and back it feels like I am riding a pitbike. At least with the back end in the higher position, the ride height seemed pretty much the same with the 17" front wheel.
Motodeficient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 01:33 PM   #65488
rockard
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Dr650 99

rockard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 02:18 PM   #65489
sagebrushocean
Harris's hawker

Oddometer: 179
Quote:
Thanks for your response, this confused me though? Going to supermoto lowers the front of the bike due to the smaller wheel, and when I moved the rear shock to the lower position the back is now lower too. I could flat foot the bike in stock form and still have my knees slightly bent. Now that its lowered front and back it feels like I am riding a pitbike. At least with the back end in the higher position, the ride height seemed pretty much the same with the 17" front wheel.
That's because you sit a lot closer to the rear axle than to the front axle. Take a look at your bike and you'll see what I mean.
Old 06-05-2012, 04:18 PM   #65490
alonzo
Misadventurer

Oddometer: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockard View Post
Nice bike! What forks? What's the blue thing under the gas tank?

-- alonzo

1978 BMW R80/7
2009 BMW F650GS (do you think a new BMW every 30 years is too much?)

2006 Yamaha XT225
1970 Triumph Bonneville T120R

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."
Ąsǝʞıq ʇɹıp ɟo ɟɟo ʎɐʇs pןnoɥs noʎ ǝqʎɐɯ uǝɥʇ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı
alonzo is online now   Reply With Quote