User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-2012, 04:54 PM   #65476
BergDonk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,960
FMF PB Header

Mine wasn't a great fit either. To get it to clear the frame and line up with my midpipe I ground the header flange with a slight taper so that when it pulled up against the gasket, everything lined up. Seemed to me that the bend was all OK, but the gasket surface wasn't welded square to the pipe, so that's what I fixed. If you mount apipe with tension in it, especially a thinwall stainless one, you'll risk fatigue cracking, so pays to get it right. I have over 30,000 kms on mine now and it works well. There is one other issue though, because of its larger diameter, and thinner wall, its vulnerable to rock damage from the front wheel. Before I fitted my current bash plate I had one of those flexible al 'spine' protectors fitted, and it still got a ding in it. Fixed with a better bash plate.

Here is pics of the header with B&B plate and Al 'spine' protector.

And here is one with the current and better pipe protection.

Steve
Old 06-05-2012, 05:41 PM   #65477
poppawheelie
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergDonk View Post
Mine wasn't a great fit either. To get it to clear the frame and line up with my midpipe I ground the header flange with a slight taper so that when it pulled up against the gasket, everything lined up. Seemed to me that the bend was all OK, but the gasket surface wasn't welded square to the pipe, so that's what I fixed. If you mount apipe with tension in it, especially a thinwall stainless one, you'll risk fatigue cracking, so pays to get it right. I have over 30,000 kms on mine now and it works well. There is one other issue though, because of its larger diameter, and thinner wall, its vulnerable to rock damage from the front wheel. Before I fitted my current bash plate I had one of those flexible al 'spine' protectors fitted, and it still got a ding in it. Fixed with a better bash plate.

Steve
Mine was a wee bit of a missfit too, but barely touches the frame. Thought of using two gaskets and may go back and do that. Anyone try that?
I like the idea of a slanted grind too. May do that if other ideas fail.

"It's not the destination. It's the journey." Me
poppawheelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 06:18 PM   #65478
Driftin
Adventurer

Oddometer: 98
[I know that plane....a couple of klicks up the road from Dominical to Peres Zeladon. I was there with my DR two weeks ago. An awesome road.QUOTE=rockard;18844181][/QUOTE]
Driftin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 07:33 PM   #65479
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,603
Hey Berg...

Matt is yet to supply the bash plate for me. You got mine....ya bastard.

Looky at my B&B

A ride in the rain up in the Brindies turned nasty when I found a tree root. In full HD on the GoPro, I go from upright to splat in a frame and a bit.

I got up, swore, looked at the bike and the large trail of oil running down hill, picked it up and threw it onto the other side.

Minus rear brake lever (ripped clean off) I then had to make my way down from Baldy Ridge Fire trail and get home the long way. Only half a load of oil...barely made the low edge of the sight glass.

I got home and ripped it apart to fix the frame and discovered that the fuel tank took enough of a hit to snap one spark plug. I didn't notice. The old girl ran like a Swiss watch.
Snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 07:47 PM   #65480
BergDonk
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowy View Post
Hey Berg...

Matt is yet to supply the bash plate for me. You got mine....ya bastard.

Looky at my B&B

A ride in the rain up in the Brindies turned nasty when I found a tree root. In full HD on the GoPro, I go from upright to splat in a frame and a bit.

I got up, swore, looked at the bike and the large trail of oil running down hill, picked it up and threw it onto the other side.

Minus rear brake lever (ripped clean off) I then had to make my way down from Baldy Ridge Fire trail and get home the long way. Only half a load of oil...barely made the low edge of the sight glass.

I got home and ripped it apart to fix the frame and discovered that the fuel tank took enough of a hit to snap one spark plug. I didn't notice. The old girl ran like a Swiss watch.
You should know that doing business with family can be problematic

Looks messy. How did you end up? Not too bad presumably.

Did a 6 day ride the weekend before last, here to Batemans Bay, then to Delegate, then Bellbird, then Mallacoota, then Numeralla, then Numeralla. Got the 4 middle days of it on kmz files if you want them for reference. I sorted the Magellan to Google Earth conversion using GPS Babel, a freeware download. was some slippery shit for sure, and I doubt we'd get through now after the rain the last few days.

You should get a real bash plate though

Steve
Old 06-05-2012, 07:48 PM   #65481
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

My shopping trolley.

Guess what sort of front end it is.

I have the "road" wheels on it. I have a spare set of "off road" wheels, and a set of "Dual Sport wheels.

I've been spoiling myself. My interest in the DR was rekindled after this

Taking the wife out trail riding and camping is fun.....but.....
Old 06-05-2012, 07:56 PM   #65482
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

I've been running a Garmin MAP62. Works well, and I use GPS visualizer to load tracks I want to ride.

Matts building a bigger badder version of the DR bash plate for me, and one for the Bummer. He said that he thought his design was idiot proof, but I'm a trained idiot, so I'm the exception to the rule.

The B&B is a good entry level bash plate. It just isn't up to constant week after week beatings. All the welds had cracked, the side had broken almost completely off, and I only had to pull on it to snap it right off. They aren't wide enough to protect cases. That's the second case I've broken. Note I carry epoxy metal putty everywhere now.

I was having a great time in the rain up until that moment. Landed hard. On the point of my right shoulder. I had my left shoulder reconstruction about 4~5 weeks ago, so it was my first solo trail ride. I was back on the BMW 4 days after having 2 pieces of bone cut out of the clavicle. I had broken the stainless from a previous repair. I did my first off road 2 up run 2 weeks after the surgery.

Still living the dream.
Old 06-05-2012, 08:00 PM   #65483
John E
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 753
Trail Jack...moved from Thumpers

now with pics...!

I hope...

[IMG][/IMG]

The first pic shows the parts, pretty simple really. 12" of 1" diameter aluminum tubing, a 10mm threaded rod, nuts and washers, ratcheting box wrench from Harbor Freight and the base plate is an electrical box cover with a 10mm nut silver soldered in place.

As I've commented before, I have a bad knee and wanted a jack that will allow me to lift the front or the rear wheel without me needing to lift the bike and put a simpler jack or stand in place. Using the nut and the wrench allows me to place the jack into position and just screw it up...;^)

I keep a small velcro strap wrapped around the handlebar to lock the front brake on when I use the jack on the rear wheel.

The bolt thru the skidplate will easily hold the weight of the bike.

Way overdone but it suits my needs and I had most of the parts for the first version in the shop anyway. I bought some new parts, ie, tubing and the wrench for this latest version. Cost me less than any commercially available one that I've found and while it takes a minute or two to use, it's really easy to lift the bike with it.

For those who might be wondering, I can lift things with my knee including the bike if it should take a tumble but the issue with my knee made it really hard to try and lift the front end and install a regular jack by myself. Decided to spend more time thinking and twisting a wrench than sweating and risking further injuries.

Thanks for the help.

This is the Sea
The Waterboys/Mike Scott

John E screwed with this post 06-05-2012 at 08:04 PM Reason: too many to list...
John E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 08:06 PM   #65484
John E
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 753
I give up....

I've tried reloading the image in the Trail Jack post 3 times to turn the bottom one into a vertical, won't do it for whatever reason.

This is the Sea
The Waterboys/Mike Scott
John E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 08:07 PM   #65485
opium89
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,136
Is anyone using the solid mount lowered foot pegs that are available from Procycle? I am curious to know how much more they vibrate if any. Also, can you recommend me a rear lever that is a little more substantial than the stock unit?
Old 06-05-2012, 08:26 PM   #65486
BergDonk
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowy View Post
My shopping trolley.

Guess what sort of front end it is.

DRZ400? Looks like stock shock though. Might be doing one for a mate down the coast. He's got a DR650 and 3 DRZ400s, and thinks one could donate its suspension to the DR650. We shall see.

Steve
Old 06-05-2012, 08:29 PM   #65487
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,907
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADV8 View Post
+1
I think what you said has even more relevance with loaded DR650's and the stock spring not to mention the rising rate link and its initial travel.

I don't think copy/paste road bike sag info applies to
a DR650 loaded for a month away in the sticks with the rear looking like a 1964 Impala.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -

ER70S-2 screwed with this post 06-05-2012 at 08:46 PM
ER70S-2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 08:34 PM   #65488
BergDonk
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by opium89 View Post
Is anyone using the solid mount lowered foot pegs that are available from Procycle? I am curious to know how much more they vibrate if any. Also, can you recommend me a rear lever that is a little more substantial than the stock unit?
I have solid mounted pegs on mine and the vibes are a non event for me. YMMV of course

The PC ones go down, but not back. I made mine up to go further back. Suits me. FWIW, the peg position is largely determined by back of the peg, which locates your instep, so wider pegs also have the effect of moving your feet back.

My pegs are now centred a bit behind the back mounting bolt, which makes for a better standing position for me. And the Fastway pegs are wider than stock for a better platform and more rearset.

Steve
Old 06-05-2012, 09:06 PM   #65489
ram1000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,809
Has anyone knowledge of the poly skid plates made by Acerbis or Hyde? I want one for my DR650.
Old 06-05-2012, 09:18 PM   #65490
LexTalionis
Inciteful

Oddometer: 428
Very ingenious, thanks for the pics.

Lex

Quote:
Originally Posted by John E View Post
now with pics...!

I hope...

[IMG][/IMG]

The first pic shows the parts, pretty simple really. 12" of 1" diameter aluminum tubing, a 10mm threaded rod, nuts and washers, ratcheting box wrench from Harbor Freight and the base plate is an electrical box cover with a 10mm nut silver soldered in place.

As I've commented before, I have a bad knee and wanted a jack that will allow me to lift the front or the rear wheel without me needing to lift the bike and put a simpler jack or stand in place. Using the nut and the wrench allows me to place the jack into position and just screw it up...;^)

I keep a small velcro strap wrapped around the handlebar to lock the front brake on when I use the jack on the rear wheel.

The bolt thru the skidplate will easily hold the weight of the bike.

Way overdone but it suits my needs and I had most of the parts for the first version in the shop anyway. I bought some new parts, ie, tubing and the wrench for this latest version. Cost me less than any commercially available one that I've found and while it takes a minute or two to use, it's really easy to lift the bike with it.

For those who might be wondering, I can lift things with my knee including the bike if it should take a tumble but the issue with my knee made it really hard to try and lift the front end and install a regular jack by myself. Decided to spend more time thinking and twisting a wrench than sweating and risking further injuries.

Thanks for the help.