Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-07-2012, 02:16 PM   #65566
doug s.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,309
Quote:
Originally Posted by notarat View Post
On a somewhat-related note, Hindle emailed me yesterday stating they are in the process of re-designing their mid-pipe and will be done with it soon.
interesting. after i had a long drawn out argument w/them about it, where they insisted nothing was wrong w/their original pipe, i wonder why they've decided to re-design it?

doug s.
doug s. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 02:20 PM   #65567
notarat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug s. View Post
interesting. after i had a long drawn out argument w/them about it, where they insisted nothing was wrong w/their original pipe, i wonder why they've decided to re-design it?

doug s.
It could have been one of the 28+ emails I sent them using throw-away email accounts saying I was considering their mid pipe until I read on advrider how bad it fit, and how they weren't doing anything about it...
notarat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 02:25 PM   #65568
Motodeficient
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 448
Quote:
1 It's not Jesse's fault that FMF makes a POS product
2 Why would Jesse offer a refund for his oversized mid pipe when (see 1)
3 I don't feel like buying a second mid pipe because (see 2 then 1)
Its a proven fact that the powerbomb and the hi-flow headers do not help these bikes, unless maybe your bike is HIGHLY modified. Check out MXRob's website. If you just want a pretty header, you can polish your stock one to look like the FMF. I did this to mine and a few thousand miles later it still looks great.
Motodeficient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 02:40 PM   #65569
notarat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motodeficient View Post
Its a proven fact that the powerbomb and the hi-flow headers do not help these bikes, unless maybe your bike is HIGHLY modified. Check out MXRob's website. If you just want a pretty header, you can polish your stock one to look like the FMF. I did this to mine and a few thousand miles later it still looks great.
Let me see if I understand those who replied thus far telling me to return the mid pipe Jesse made...

You want me to return Jesse's mid pipe and ask for a refund in order to buy the version that connects to the stock header...even though there is absolutely, positively nothing materially wrong with the unit, or its design, or its construction.

Is that what you're saying?
notarat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 02:45 PM   #65570
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,926
fwiw: I have the stock header pipe, Jesse's mid-pipe and a x40F0x muffler. It took me an hour to remove the old mid-pipe,-muffler and install the new, with Jesse's milled alum mount (nice piece). I think the spark arrestor muted the 'pop' of the 40F0 well enough. I'd still be running the stocker if it wasn't so stupid heavy.

205'd, I didn't know Jesse has two mid-pipes.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 03:13 PM   #65571
Tech23
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 468
Quote:
I installed the oversized FMF Header, Kientech Mid-Pipe, and GSXR 1000 Exhaust yesterday evening. I'd have taken pictures of it but I removed it all after hearing the thing in action and seeing just how poorly the parts fit.

One thing to note: When I went to remove the OEM Header, one of the header bolts was loose. as in I could turn it without using a wrench...talk about a WTF?! moment...

The Oversized FMF Header does indeed rub the frame on the right side of the lower down tube, and it's so close to the oil return line that it frightens me(I could get a feeler gauge between them, but not a piece of card board).

It makes up for it, though, by throwing the Kientech midpipe so out of alignment that it rubs against the shock spring. and makes the cannister rub the rear fender...

Although it was just a 60 second run to see how it sounds, I was not all that impressed with the GSXR Can. It sounds like a bigger bike, that's for sure. I think I'd almost rather have the smaller 650/750 cannister since they're quieter. However, since this is the only can that accepts the Spark Arrestor, I'm kinda stuck using it. Oh well..

I guess I have 2 choices...pay someone to re-bend the FMF pipe or return it. In the end I contacted Pro Cycle to get an RMA for the Oversized header and I'll be replacing it with the Powerbomb since it seems to be the one that was used to mock up and create the Kientech Mid Pipe...Maybe that'll help with the alignment issues.

On a lighter note, Do you know those plastic license plate frames that sit over your plate and hold it to the bike? The ones that have lettering molded into them with the name of the dealership?

The first time I cranked the throttle after installing the Gixxer can, it blew that thing and my plate right off the bike, lol.

For those having trouble mounting the oversize header pipes, you might consider taking a common sense approach to getting the aftermarket pipe to fit better.
1.) Common sense should tell you that it's not going to fit like a factory part...because it's not a factory part...right?
2.) My suggestion would be to replace the crush gasket in the exhaust port at the same time you install the oversize head pipe. Just applying some logic here, but that crush gasket has been crushed in a way that allows the stock diameter head pipe to fit and has taken a set that most likely has an influence on the way the oversize head pipe snugs up. Always install the complete system first then snug the fasteners down. Jiggling the system to get the desired clearance at close contact points might help before final tightening of the header flange bolts and crushing the gasket.

Lots of people running that setup without issues and many have unresolved clearance issues. Some have even discovered the lack of oil line clearance only after the head pipe made it's own clearance while out riding. I can think of a better time and place to check for clearance issues.

Tech23

2000 Harley Davidson FXDWG
2011 Victory Cross Country
Tech23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 03:35 PM   #65572
doug s.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,309
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motodeficient View Post
not sure the powerbomb header will give better results, w/o also getting a bigger midpipe. it only makes sense that, if you install a better carb w/open airbox and opened up muffler, that a slightly increased diameter of header & midpipe is only gonna help. while mxrob said the powerbomb didn't help, others have felt differently. i have not tried my set-up w/stock header/midpipe; i only know it runs great now. and, if i ever go nuts and do a 790 kit, the exhaust is ready...

doug s.
doug s. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 03:58 PM   #65573
ADV8
Taumarunui..Darwin..

Oddometer: 2,230
Days of our Lives,the FMF episode...

Like lots of folks I have a FMF header also.
First I had the stock header with the homemade tapered mid pipe,later with the FMF PowerBomb.
I had looked at various mid pipe options but they were all standard bends with all manner of bits stuck in the end or two bends spigot ed into each other,none were tapered.
They were all way over priced for my liking and nothing to write home about in general.

The mid pipe was plain old muffler grade U Bends,the taper little more than the same tube split,a wedge cut out then pulled back together with hose clamps,dollied,welded and dressed.
The flange was a piece of old plate hacksawed,filed and drilled.
Cost $18.
The muffler hanger bracket for the F40 was the same ghetto plate but mounted inside the frame,that allowed a industrial rubber damper mount to be used ( rubber centre with studs out each end) from the plate to the muffler bracket.
It would be no heavier than a stainless version and one day it will be jet hot coated.

Only mod it has had was modifing the inlet and taper to suit the bigger outlet FMF header that bolted straight on.
It might have even been the first PowerBomb for a DR650 to be fitted in Australia.
I can't see how it would not work unless these fancy mid pipes are not in the same spot as the original DR muffler given it dictates things being fixed to the frame not the header same as the mid pipes.
49 Sunbeam S7 Deluxe-57 TR6 Trophy-68 Huskys x 2-71 Commando Fastback-73 Ducati 750GT-73 Eldorado-74 TR5T x 2-74 Commando Roadster-73 and 74 H2A/B-77 and 81 900SD's-86 400WR-98 TL1000S x 2-08 DR780-07 Ducati HM 1100S
ADV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 04:35 PM   #65574
BergDonk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,273
FMF PB Header

FWIW, my bike came delivered with the stock exhaust and a box of bits that included a Megacycle muffler and matching midpipe, made in Melbourne here in Oz. I was warned by the PO that it was loud. It also came with a 'tea strainer' cap. I fitted the cap and muffler and mid pipe and felt the noise hardlly any worse than stock. I didn't try it without the cap. I then got the PB header and got Megacycle to supply me with a short section of tube with one end expanded, so one end was male and the other female. I then cut up the original mid pipe and TIGed it all together. As mentioned, the header needed the exhaust flange ground with a slight taper to get it to all line up, clearing the frame and spring etc. I considered 2 gaskets but felt there wasn't enough depth in the head to make that successful.

Subjectively, the first impression after fitting the header and with no other changes, was a quieter note again, which I like, and a smoother mid range, a tad torquier. Imagination, maybe, but for me, if nothing else, I like the additional quiet it achieves. FWIW, I've briefly ridden a DR recently with a TM40 and GSXR 40 can, Jesse midpipe and PB header. It was a lot noisier than mine, I expected less noise, and I reckon its too noisy for me. This surprised me after all the good reports this muffler gets, and also knowing the PB header mutes it a bit too.But it also probably had a bit more grunt than mine too. We didn't get them side by side, maybe later, but not a lot in it in his favour I think.

The dyno seemingly says the PB header adds no value, but my seat of the pants said otherwise. Dynos don't always tell the whole story.

I got mine in May 2010 and fitted shortly after. How does that compare with ADV8s fitting date?

Steve
Old 06-07-2012, 04:41 PM   #65575
opium89
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,136
Quote:
1 It's not Jesse's fault that FMF makes a POS product
2 Why would Jesse offer a refund for his oversized mid pipe when (see 1)
3 I don't feel like buying a second mid pipe because (see 2 then 1)
Who said anything about this being Jesse's fault or returning the pipe for that matter? Seems to be enough evidence around here stating that the FMF header does not fit very well. Jesse should know this, as well as the person who ordered it without doing his/her research. Besides, you're talking about what? Maybe 2-3 horsepower gain if any, on what is essentially an over-sized and over-weight pig of a dirt bike. What exactly are you trying to accomplish here? If you're trying to build a two-wheeled performance machine, the DR is probably not the best platform to start with. The DR does what it does well, raw power and blinding speed are not in that list no matter how much money you plan to throw at it.

Sorry if you feel this is busting your balls, just trying to throw a little reality your way.

opium89 screwed with this post 06-07-2012 at 04:48 PM
opium89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 05:29 PM   #65576
ADV8
Taumarunui..Darwin..

Oddometer: 2,230
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergDonk View Post
I got mine in May 2010 and fitted shortly after. How does that compare with ADV8s fitting date?

Steve
My visa records online will not go back far enough.
I pre payed for mine months before FMF started production so it should have been sent from the first batch to land at Procycle.
First thing noticed (with the GSXR can) was it was quieter with the PowerBomb but then all it is is a small chamber with a perforated tube and packing just like a muffler.
The expansion might give a little more scavenging but is debatable,they are somewhat different to the powerbomb chambers on the MX versions.
49 Sunbeam S7 Deluxe-57 TR6 Trophy-68 Huskys x 2-71 Commando Fastback-73 Ducati 750GT-73 Eldorado-74 TR5T x 2-74 Commando Roadster-73 and 74 H2A/B-77 and 81 900SD's-86 400WR-98 TL1000S x 2-08 DR780-07 Ducati HM 1100S
ADV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 06:12 PM   #65577
NewDR650seOwner
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Cheap Baja Style Single 8'' Light?

Anyone have a baja style racing light laying around?

Kinda intrested about HID.

Are they simple to install on an '07 DR?

Ive seen pictures of 8'' ones, they look pretty bad!

NewDR650seOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 07:29 PM   #65578
N.dica
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by opium89 View Post
Who said anything about this being Jesse's fault or returning the pipe for that matter? Seems to be enough evidence around here stating that the FMF header does not fit very well. Jesse should know this, as well as the person who ordered it without doing his/her research. Besides, you're talking about what? Maybe 2-3 horsepower gain if any, on what is essentially an over-sized and over-weight pig of a dirt bike. What exactly are you trying to accomplish here? If you're trying to build a two-wheeled performance machine, the DR is probably not the best platform to start with. The DR does what it does well, raw power and blinding speed are not in that list no matter how much money you plan to throw at it.

Sorry if you feel this is busting your balls, just trying to throw a little reality your way.

Whereas I agree she's a wee bit of a pig, if it is horsepower that is sought why not just throw on the tm40 or fcr, and go with the 790 kit ala Procycle. There you go. Nice and powerful, especially for the weight. Then you can simply do what fits nice and easy with your gsxr can and not worry about the details.....unless you are worried about the cosmetics. You will have plenty of raw power and speed enough for a bike that is not a crotchrocket. But then again-- thats just what works for me...
N.dica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 07:48 PM   #65579
opium89
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by N.dica View Post
Whereas I agree she's a wee bit of a pig, if it is horsepower that is sought why not just throw on the tm40 or fcr, and go with the 790 kit ala Procycle. There you go. Nice and powerful, especially for the weight. Then you can simply do what fits nice and easy with your gsxr can and not worry about the details.....unless you are worried about the cosmetics. You will have plenty of raw power and speed enough for a bike that is not a crotchrocket. But then again-- thats just what works for me...
Exactly. If you're going to spend performance dollars, spend them where they will make the most/best difference. N.dica, do you have the 790 kit installed? If so, I'd like a full report please!
Old 06-07-2012, 08:55 PM   #65580
N.dica
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by opium89 View Post
Exactly. If you're going to spend performance dollars, spend them where they will make the most/best difference. N.dica, do you have the 790 kit installed? If so, I'd like a full report please!

Give me two weeks, brother:) Ive got the budget and its next on my list. Ive got so many farkles on my ride yet I think this one will top them all. I love how each person customizes their bike to their own desires. I'm all about making it better, faster and stronger. Its teaching me a lot as I'm doing all the wrenching myself- this board has bean a tremendous resource. Without the advice of all the other inmates, it wouldn't be as easy...The only thing, is that in spite of the exhaustive list of modifications I've already made, there is always another, and another, and still another way to customize it. Thank god I don't have a wife, otherwise it'd never happen...hahaha
N.dica is offline   Reply With Quote