"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 09:45 PM   #65582
doug s.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,309
Quote:
Originally Posted by opium89 View Post
Exactly. If you're going to spend performance dollars, spend them where they will make the most/best difference. N.dica, do you have the 790 kit installed? If so, I'd like a full report please!
exactly. except... i have $4k in my dr650, which includes the bike itself. this includes sm wheels/tires, rm usd front end w/upgraded springs, upgraded rear shock, set-up fcr39 carb, k&n cone filter, powerbomb header, hi-flo midpipe, tuskigi gsxr can, corbin seat, hid lighting, vapor trail tech speedo/tach, etc... the bike runs freaking awesome.

the 790 kit? sounds nice, and if i could get 'er done w/the big walves and cam for $1k installed, i might bite. (when i bought my '95 buell s2 back in '98, it cost me $800 installed for two new heads and pistons, which took power from 76hp/76ft-lbs torque to 101hp/84ft-lbs torque - that was cost effective.)

but if you're talking performance dollars, instead of the complete 790 kit, which will run ~$2400 uninstalled, you may as well simply pick up a nice used aprilia sxv550 (or rxv550 if you want a dirt oriented ride). 70hp and ~270lbs dry. if you really want to spend performance dollars, that's the ticket. (or opt for a ktm 690 or husky 630 if you don't want something quite so hi-strung.)

but, for a fun nice performing reliable all-around excellent bike, putting a fine carb and complete exhaust system on the dr650 is good performance for the money, and not ridiculously expensive like the complete 790 kit w/big walves and cam...

ymmv,

doug s.
doug s. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 09:50 PM   #65583
TrophyHunter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,139
Just a quick thanks to Procycle and Tech23. I ordered my TM40 per my set up and it ran perfectly right outta the box...& as usual, got here quickly.

Tech23 gave me a couple of pointers on the install. Take the airbox and connector boot off. The installation instruction say to loosen the airbox to make it easier, but there's another 2 reasons to do this. When adjusting the throttle cables, it makes it very clear if the slide is opening all the way during WFO or not because you can look down the carb throat. Second - the AP squirt can be aimed at the needle or emulsion tube so the fuel stream breaks up and disperses into the airstream.

Minor things and fine tuning maybe, but absolutely helpful. Thx Tech23.

On a side note, I sold my FCR to another local DR guy and installed it on his bike for him with all the appropriate "breathing" mods. The instructions for the FCR install do not say to trim the "locator" tabs off of the intake boot which are there to center the stock carb (the TM40 instructions say to chop 'em off for a better seating of the carb). I noticed the "centering tabs" kept the FCR from seating as fully as it could by about 1/16 - 1/8th of an inch. If it were mine, I'd chop 'em per the TM40 guidelines. New FCR owner didn't want to.

I also did his NSU's and they "snapped" loose....one more than the other. 2009....6300 miles. At least it's done - my 5th bike completed.

Anyway, thanks for all the help this board has been and thx to Procycle over the years for suspension guidance, parts availability and great customer service.

"It's a small amount of gas, but it represents a long walk" My Dad...
TrophyHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 10:07 PM   #65584
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug s. View Post
you may as well simply pick up a nice used aprilia sxv550 (or rxv550 if you want a dirt oriented ride). 70hp and ~270lbs dry. if you really want to spend performance dollars, that's the ticket. (or opt for a ktm 690 or husky 630 if you don't want something quite so hi-strung.)
Thanks... I really didn't need to know about that Aprilla bike...

It just fuels the continual thoughts that #1, I want a bike like that, and #2, that is THE MOTOR a lot of us want for our dual sports, even if it was toned down a bit for reliability. A 500 to 600cc lighter v-twin would make my DR650 a bike worth keeping for a very long time.
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Mambo Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 10:09 PM   #65585
Fire Escape
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,544
I finally got around to installing the new springs that have been sitting in my kitchen for 51 weeks. No rush (apparently) but I wanted the springs in before sweep riding our Classic BBR this weekend. In the process of getting the shock out to replace the spring, I removed the airbox and found a good reason (for me) to leave the snorkle in place. It would appear that the last time I had the shock out, (to max the preload, hence the reallity of upgraded springs) I wasn't careful enough tightening the bolts that mount the airbox as one was missing. Upon removing the box I noticed a rattle and sure enough the missing bolt had rolled into the snorkle and taken up residence inside so it saved me having to find a replacement. Of course had it been either of the other two bolts it would have just vanished. Ran out of daylight before getting to the new fronts, no room inside the garage so the lift is on the patio, perhaps I will catch a break tomorrow and have a few hours without rain so I can finish up.

Bruce
06 DR 650, Moose RS Holder, Handguards and Skidplate, ProTaper bars, Garmin 60CSx, Motech racks w/ 20mm Ammo cans, Renazco, TKCs summer/17" SM wheels winter 08 Scrambler, Conti Trail Attacks and BlackTiger Fork mod, 05 FSE 450, 03 KLR 250, 02 FXDX, 72 WR 250 (again), 72 SL 350 K2 (again), 72 TR6R, 06 XT 225
Fire Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 10:32 PM   #65586
Tech23
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo Dave View Post
Thanks... I really didn't need to know about that Aprilla bike...

It just fuels the continual thoughts that #1, I want a bike like that, and #2, that is THE MOTOR a lot of us want for our dual sports, even if it was toned down a bit for reliability. A 500 to 600cc lighter v-twin would make my DR650 a bike worth keeping for a very long time.
I wish Suzuki would just build this thing. They already have a 650 V twin, just need to manufacture an aluminum frame and use DRZ SM wheels and suspension parts to tie it all together.

Tech23

2000 Harley Davidson FXDWG
2011 Victory Cross Country
Tech23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 11:35 PM   #65587
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech23 View Post
I wish Suzuki would just build this thing. They already have a 650 V twin, just need to manufacture an aluminum frame and use DRZ SM wheels and suspension parts to tie it all together.

Tech23
Yeah...dream on.

Unfortunately, Suzuki seem to quite satisfied with the market share they have and aren't interested in appealing to 10% of that share who want something better/different.

I am convinced that having 3 simple versions of the DR, like the DRZ range, would be a huge winner for them. But they see it as taking away from other models that make more money.

Some of the people that buy the V-strom now at $14k here, would switch to a Motard or Adventure spec DR at $9k given the chance. Similarly, some who buy the DRZ at $9.5 currently would switch to a trail version of the DR at similar price.

They seem to regard the existing line up as enough, and our desires are mere "wants" versus "needs".

Any change to the range would see the DR priced to reflect the sales it takes away from other models in the line up. Without the price advantage the DR doesn't look quite as good as it does now.

I'd like to see a proper off road spec version of my BMW F800GS. The reality is that 95% of them don't see the off road work I do, so it's a pipe dream. I'll just have to build what I want.
Snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 11:36 PM   #65588
sagebrushocean
Harris's hawker

Oddometer: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech23 View Post

Tech23
I like the idea of a Japanese Dorsoduro.
Old 06-07-2012, 11:48 PM   #65589
Tech23
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowy View Post
Yeah...dream on.

Unfortunately, Suzuki seem to quite satisfied with the market share they have and aren't interested in appealing to 10% of that share who want something better/different.

I think the DR650 being unchanged for the last 16 years qualifies that statement as true.

I am convinced that having 3 simple versions of the DR, like the DRZ range, would be a huge winner for them. But they see it as taking away from other models that make more money.

Some of the people that buy the V-strom now at $14k here, would switch to a Motard or Adventure spec DR at $9k given the chance. Similarly, some who buy the DRZ at $9.5 currently would switch to a trail version of the DR at similar price.

They seem to regard the existing line up as enough, and our desires are mere "wants" versus "needs".

Any change to the range would see the DR priced to reflect the sales it takes away from other models in the line up. Without the price advantage the DR doesn't look quite as good as it does now.

I'd like to see a proper off road spec version of my BMW F800GS. The reality is that 95% of them don't see the off road work I do, so it's a pipe dream. I'll just have to build what I want.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sagebrushocean View Post
I like the idea of a Japanese Dorsoduro.
Me too, I'd like to see an offering from all four! Talk about a pipe dream

Tech23

Hey, TrophyHunter...you're welcome.

2000 Harley Davidson FXDWG
2011 Victory Cross Country
Tech23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 02:13 AM   #65590
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,650

Oh great.

Now you've got me thinking.

If I had a steel trellis frame version I could graft on any rear end I want from the Suzuki range - to keep it pure Suzuki.

I'm sure I'm going to live to regret this. To eBay...
Snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 06:54 AM   #65591
PHILinFRANCE
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,119
DR doing what it should, chasing KTM 525s pity i tiered before the 650 , i'd been eating them all day though

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWQHr...tailpage#t=47s
Old 06-08-2012, 07:09 AM   #65592
n2deep1901
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 207
dr650 surge?

dr 650 surge
Has anyone else experienced a bad surging while at sustained speeds using 1/4 throttle? Currently have stock carb with procycle jet kit, slide drilled, largest main jet clip on 4th groove, airbox mod, and about to install a new exhaust. I've tried adjusting the fuel mixture multiple times, but cant get the surge to go away.

If anyone has experienced this and knows what's causing it, or how to fix it, please let me know.
I started a seperate thread about it, please respond on http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=797944

Thanks

Lead me not into temptation for I can find it myself.
n2deep1901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 07:45 AM   #65593
Rugby4life
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 694
CCT Fix Question

My CCT gasket has started leakig. Time to do the permatex fix but I need one key piece of information first. How do you determine compression stroke TDC?
Old 06-08-2012, 08:33 AM   #65594
TrophyHunter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,139
Some nice trails there, Phil.

"It's a small amount of gas, but it represents a long walk" My Dad...
TrophyHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 08:33 AM   #65595
smilin jack
Grandpa Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,226
CCT gasket replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugby4life View Post
My CCT gasket has started leakig. Time to do the permatex fix but I need one key piece of information first. How do you determine compression stroke TDC?
Yes, well... if you've adjusted the valves before then you have it. If not, read up on how.

Remove side covers, seat, fuel tank and air hose out the spark plug holes and any mud/dirt on the valve covers.

Remove a spark plug for easier turning of engine. Remove the valve covers to watch the rockers go up and down when the engine is turned.

Remove the inspection covers on the left engine cover with your allen wrench to see the timing mark (front cap) and turn the engine CCW direction using a socket wrench (side cap).

When the "T" mark is centered in the front hole and both rocker arms sit still but have a little wiggle... that is TDC on compression stroke.

Now you can begin removing the oil lines and the CCT. I did that gasket replacement with the exhaust still intact. A little slower, but less work. Hope you have a service manual to help you along the way.

See this link: http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...5295&page=2639
page 2639 and 2640... and several pages either direction

Dave
smilin jack is offline   Reply With Quote