Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-07-2012, 10:36 PM   #65581
sagebrushocean
Harris's hawker

Oddometer: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech23 View Post
I wish Suzuki would just build this thing. They already have a 650 V twin, just need to manufacture an aluminum frame and use DRZ SM wheels and suspension parts to tie it all together.

Tech23
I like the idea of a Japanese Dorsoduro.
Old 06-07-2012, 10:48 PM   #65582
Tech23
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowy View Post
Yeah...dream on.

Unfortunately, Suzuki seem to quite satisfied with the market share they have and aren't interested in appealing to 10% of that share who want something better/different.

I think the DR650 being unchanged for the last 16 years qualifies that statement as true.

I am convinced that having 3 simple versions of the DR, like the DRZ range, would be a huge winner for them. But they see it as taking away from other models that make more money.

Some of the people that buy the V-strom now at $14k here, would switch to a Motard or Adventure spec DR at $9k given the chance. Similarly, some who buy the DRZ at $9.5 currently would switch to a trail version of the DR at similar price.

They seem to regard the existing line up as enough, and our desires are mere "wants" versus "needs".

Any change to the range would see the DR priced to reflect the sales it takes away from other models in the line up. Without the price advantage the DR doesn't look quite as good as it does now.

I'd like to see a proper off road spec version of my BMW F800GS. The reality is that 95% of them don't see the off road work I do, so it's a pipe dream. I'll just have to build what I want.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sagebrushocean View Post
Me too, I'd like to see an offering from all four! Talk about a pipe dream

Tech23

Hey, TrophyHunter...you're welcome.
Tech23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 01:13 AM   #65583
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,759

Oh great.

Now you've got me thinking.

If I had a steel trellis frame version I could graft on any rear end I want from the Suzuki range - to keep it pure Suzuki.

I'm sure I'm going to live to regret this. To eBay...
Snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 05:54 AM   #65584
PHILinFRANCE
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,171
DR doing what it should, chasing KTM 525s pity i tiered before the 650 , i'd been eating them all day though

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWQHr...tailpage#t=47s
Old 06-08-2012, 06:09 AM   #65585
n2deep1901
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 213
dr650 surge?

dr 650 surge
Has anyone else experienced a bad surging while at sustained speeds using 1/4 throttle? Currently have stock carb with procycle jet kit, slide drilled, largest main jet clip on 4th groove, airbox mod, and about to install a new exhaust. I've tried adjusting the fuel mixture multiple times, but cant get the surge to go away.

If anyone has experienced this and knows what's causing it, or how to fix it, please let me know.
I started a seperate thread about it, please respond on http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=797944

Thanks

Lead me not into temptation for I can find it myself.
n2deep1901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 06:45 AM   #65586
Rugby4life
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 727
CCT Fix Question

My CCT gasket has started leakig. Time to do the permatex fix but I need one key piece of information first. How do you determine compression stroke TDC?
Old 06-08-2012, 07:33 AM   #65587
TrophyHunter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,215
Some nice trails there, Phil.

"It's a small amount of gas, but it represents a long walk" My Dad...
TrophyHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 07:33 AM   #65588
smilin jack
Grandpa Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,228
CCT gasket replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugby4life View Post
My CCT gasket has started leakig. Time to do the permatex fix but I need one key piece of information first. How do you determine compression stroke TDC?
Yes, well... if you've adjusted the valves before then you have it. If not, read up on how.

Remove side covers, seat, fuel tank and air hose out the spark plug holes and any mud/dirt on the valve covers.

Remove a spark plug for easier turning of engine. Remove the valve covers to watch the rockers go up and down when the engine is turned.

Remove the inspection covers on the left engine cover with your allen wrench to see the timing mark (front cap) and turn the engine CCW direction using a socket wrench (side cap).

When the "T" mark is centered in the front hole and both rocker arms sit still but have a little wiggle... that is TDC on compression stroke.

Now you can begin removing the oil lines and the CCT. I did that gasket replacement with the exhaust still intact. A little slower, but less work. Hope you have a service manual to help you along the way.

See this link: http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...5295&page=2639
page 2639 and 2640... and several pages either direction

Dave
smilin jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 07:34 AM   #65589
ram1000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,835
Quote:
The Versys is the Japanese DD!
Old 06-08-2012, 07:35 AM   #65590
local1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 649
Airbox replacement?

i have looked here and on several other sites for a alternative to my airbox.i have had my carb off several times
since i got the bike last month and it is a bitch for me to get the thing back in? are there any aftermarket filters pods like K,N or others that will replace my airbox? anyone tried this or know of any experiences with this?
Old 06-08-2012, 07:45 AM   #65591
procycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,318
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2deep1901 View Post
dr 650 surge
Has anyone else experienced a bad surging while at sustained speeds using 1/4 throttle? Currently have stock carb with procycle jet kit, slide drilled, largest main jet clip on 4th groove, airbox mod, and about to install a new exhaust. I've tried adjusting the fuel mixture multiple times, but cant get the surge to go away.
Mixture at steady 1/4 throttle is controlled by the needle. Raise the needle (lower the clip).
TurboDiesel Corvette - go to the end to start at the beginning
procycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 07:47 AM   #65592
sagebrushocean
Harris's hawker

Oddometer: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram1000 View Post
The Versys is the Japanese DD!
Nothing against the Versys -- I might even buy one someday. But I think the Versys is rather fugly compared to the DD, and I'd rather have a v-twin than a parallel twin. One noteworthy advantage of the Versys over the DRV is that the Versys exists.
Old 06-08-2012, 08:13 AM   #65593
Olas
the darkness

Oddometer: 4,023
Speaking of needles...when the instructions say to install the needle clip at, for example, position 4 - does this mean four counting from the top down or is it the other way around?
Olas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 09:23 AM   #65594
doug s.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,348
Quote:
Nothing against the Versys -- I might even buy one someday. But I think the Versys is rather fugly compared to the DD, and I'd rather have a v-twin than a parallel twin. One noteworthy advantage of the Versys over the DRV is that the Versys exists.
one noteworthy adwantage of the dorsoduro is that it exists! why not simply get the real thing. if i actually had the room and the money, i'd be hard-pressed to choose between it and an sxv550. the dd is not high strung at all, a nice reliable bike. suzuki had the sv650 & sv1000; too bad they are no more. they are sweet, especially w/a gsxr front end installed...

dorsoduro:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/320913005456

doug s.
doug s. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 09:40 AM   #65595
PHILinFRANCE
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrophyHunter View Post
Some nice trails there, Phil.
Cheers TH , we had 4 days in the Spanish pyrennes great fun , but broke two bones in my foot on the 3rd day getting my boot back on for a 400 km ride home stung a little !!!! but i'll be back

R and R for anyone interested http://www.bikeclubfrance.com//viewt...hp?f=60&t=9094