Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-10-2012, 02:22 PM   #65731
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,435
i had a corbin and switched over to sargent which i like alot more.
many are happy with seat concepts, but some find it too soft.

since jeff @ procycle carrys all the DR seat i'd call him and ask.
would be nice since he has them all to compare too, that heat creates a list form softest to firmest to give everyone an idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ER70S-2 View Post
+1 I was thinking the same thing.

N.dica, while you have the TM off, measure the two carb diameters. If they're the same, no reason to over-tighten the manifold when using the TM (now that you know it isn't the manifold seal).

Unfortunately, this is human nature. Once paid for, guys don't want to think they were duped. So either they say how cool the product is, or they shut up. As you mentioned at the bottom, my once 'good enough' Corbin gets harder every time I ride. I'm retired and the padding in my butt is getting thinner and thinner.

Ghosts in my memory: Someone earlier said their aftermarket seat's foam was firmer than stock but felt ok. He was going to find out if a softer foam was available. I don't remember what seat and I haven't seen any folllow-up.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 02:38 PM   #65732
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,667
Quote:
Originally Posted by N.dica View Post
Dougie- you kind-of have a point, but at the same time- it depends on what you are using the DR for... I mean, there is no chance Id take any of the bikes you listed on and extended journey through central/ south america or africa- or asia.
You wouldn't but plenty of people have and will. Well, except for the Ape.
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 02:41 PM   #65733
goodcat8
I can pass this guy.....

Oddometer: 2,968
I had the procycle seat with gel insert and at first thought "this is like a wider version of the stock seat....." I'd say after maybe 500 miles of use (I'm 220 not fat) she started breaking in and I could feel the difference. Was it the magical all day seat we seek? Not really, was it better than stock, I thought so, was it better than when I first got it, absolutely.
Old 06-10-2012, 03:09 PM   #65734
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessepitt View Post
It seemed to me that it was the Seat Concepts kit that everyone was raving about not the Saddleman. Maybe I just missed the good reviews of it. I am planning on getting the SC kit based on everyones positive feed back here.
We have both on our 2 DRs. Mine is a ProCycle Gel seat and my wife's got the SC. I think the PC is better made and very comfortable but my wife's not complaining and she would if there was reason to.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 03:39 PM   #65735
N.dica
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
Maaaybe a super dialed in ktm, but good luck with a husky or aprilia in those places
N.dica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 05:44 PM   #65736
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 9,048
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feelers View Post
Ok, I just have a couple questions.

From what I hear, the pumper carbs offer better throttle response and better down low engine smoothness.

Can you define what you mean exactly by throttle response? As soon as I give my DR throttle, she leaps. I notice no lag.
Can you give me some kind of ballpark objective numerical difference between the throttle response of a pumper and the stocker? I am pretty sure that throttle response is the lag time between twisting the throttle and getting engine response, so if the stocker takes 0.2 seconds or something, how much time do you think the pumper takes?

Secondly, for low end crawling, what is the slowest speed you can ride in first gear without using any clutch with the engine being smooth enough?

My stocker gets almost 60 mpg. (57-59) Temperatures don't show leanness. I can still hit 100mph meaning I haven't lost any HP. FCR reports seem to average mid to high 40s...

I am genuinely curious.
Almost electric motorish (embelshing here somewhat) at slow crawing, no jerks or surges. Very predictable and controlable. Strong linear pulling when you ask it. 50-54mpg on mine.
My only complaint is the stiffer then normal throttle pull. But I'm a pussy.

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 05:56 PM   #65737
planemanx15
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,005
Do warp 9 rims come pre-laced and ready for mounting?
planemanx15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 06:30 PM   #65738
doug s.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,241
Quote:
Dougie- you kind-of have a point, but at the same time- it depends on what you are using the DR for... I mean, there is no chance Id take any of the bikes you listed on and extended journey through central/ south america or africa- or asia. Not only are parts super expensive and hard to come by, but the DR has got to be one of the simplest, most straightforward bikes to wrench on. If i break down in BFE ( notwithstanding the reliability of the DR), I want the DR so I can open her up and fix her myself with relatively few complications. Also, from what i understand from the guys at procycle, you dont need to get the big valve head or cam mod, etc.. Allegedly, the big bore alone with boring the cylinder and a total price of 850ish usd, isn't all that outlandish. The DR is a fun bike and can be as modified or left alone as the intention of the operator. The versatility is the beauty of the bike, and sadly the modding gets addictive-- there is always just one more thing you want to do to her...
agree w/everything you say. you could yust do a big bore kit. no cam needed. no big walve head needed. or, you could skip the big bore, and only do hi-comp piston and cam. or...? and, some day, i may start down that path myself, who knows. cuz, my bike is now set up nice, i like it a lot, and as you say, modding can be addictive... and, where do you stop? and the dr650 is certainly more reliable, and cheaper/simpler to work on than an aprilia, ktm or husqvarna.

but - if i were going to be doing extended journeys oconus, i don't think i'd be wanting to do any of these motor mods. there is no way any of them are gonna do anything but make the bike less reliable. (and more likely to run poorly w/bad gas.) and, the way my bike performs now, it is fantastic, even for local back road blasting. presently, i never feel any overwhelming desire to go for these engine upgrades. and, before, when i hadn't gotten my bike on the road yet, i was drooling over them. now, that i have gotten the bike set up, i am happy w/it as it is. for me, for now, the carb/intake/exhaust mods are all i need.

i think any of the serious dr650 motor mods are more conducive to having a local hooligan type bike, whether on or off-road; but not conducive for having a rtw bike...

ymmv,

doug s.
doug s. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 06:34 PM   #65739
Feelers
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug s. View Post

i think any of the serious dr650 motor mods are more conducive to having a local hooligan type bike, whether on or off-road; but not conducive for having a rtw bike...
+1
Feelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 06:47 PM   #65740
doug s.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,241
Quote:
Dougie- you kind-of have a point, but at the same time- it depends on what you are using the DR for... I mean, there is no chance Id take any of the bikes you listed on and extended journey through central/ south america or africa- or asia.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
well, not rtw, but allen noland had a great time riding his rxv450 from md to ca. and plenty of bmw's on rtw adwentures. (mostly bmw's on rtw adwentures?)

but, me, personally, for any long distance adwenture riding, the dr650 would be my first choice...

doug s.
doug s. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 06:50 PM   #65741
N.dica
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug s. View Post

but - if i were going to be doing extended journeys oconus, i don't think i'd be wanting to do any of these motor mods. there is no way any of them are gonna do anything but make the bike less reliable.

ymmv,

doug s.

+2
Definitely agree on both points. Regarding hooliganism....ahem...it sure is hard to not become one when your bike is tricked out. Its horrible to say, but sometimes it could be possible to get the feeling that traffic laws simply dont apply to you when you are on such a machine......but then again you could end up like Wolfie( I wonder whatever happened to that guy?)
N.dica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 06:51 PM   #65742
MikeyP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Looking for an opinion on motor noise

Hello everyone!

I purchased a 96 DR650 from another inmate here in April and I'm closing in on getting it on the road. I just buttoned up the generator side cover and I'd like to know if this noise sounds normal. A bit of a gear noise in the area of the starter and or idler gear as I rotate the motor. Unfortunately I was so focused on the task at hand that I didn't check to see what it sounded like before I took the generator apart and the starter needing rebuilding when I purchased the bike so there are a few unknowns.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wt5Y...ature=youtu.be

Thanks to anyone who'd like to offer an opinion. This thread has been exceedingly helpful in my project so far, which has turned in to a bit more than I anticipated.

I was going to wait until I reached the end of this thread before I said hello (I'm on page ~730 right now; seriously) but I don't think I can't wait that long before a test fire :)
MikeyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 06:56 PM   #65743
speedmaster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 571
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo Dave View Post
He's right; it is.

He is right, just read this and checked the directional arrows on the sidewalls. They were mounted at a Suzuki dealer but I guess you just can't get good help these days.
I did about a 150 miles loop today with 40 miles of dirt (even a little single track) I was actually impresed with the Shinkos so I can't wait to see how a correctly mounted front does.
speedmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 07:04 PM   #65744
Tech23
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 461
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feelers View Post
Ok, I just have a couple questions.

From what I hear, the pumper carbs offer better throttle response and better down low engine smoothness.

Can you define what you mean exactly by throttle response? As soon as I give my DR throttle, she leaps. I notice no lag.
Can you give me some kind of ballpark objective numerical difference between the throttle response of a pumper and the stocker? I am pretty sure that throttle response is the lag time between twisting the throttle and getting engine response, so if the stocker takes 0.2 seconds or something, how much time do you think the pumper takes?

Secondly, for low end crawling, what is the slowest speed you can ride in first gear without using any clutch with the engine being smooth enough?

My stocker gets almost 60 mpg. (57-59) Temperatures don't show leanness. I can still hit 100mph meaning I haven't lost any HP. FCR reports seem to average mid to high 40s...

I am genuinely curious.
The pumper carbs (TM/FCR) throttle cable attaches directly to the slide. On a CV carb the cable attaches to a butterfly, the slide lifts when intake velocity increases and doesn't have a shot of injected fuel right behind the opening slide. The AP circuit delivers more torque sooner in the RPM range.

Performance comes from burning more fuel. Carburetors, particularly those with an AP will use a little more fuel. It sounds like your primary concern is fuel economy, not performance. If you are happy with the CV carbs fuel economy why change it?

I'm pretty sure if have never ridden a bike with a pumper carb you have nothing to compare your CV carb too. My 1980 Yamaha XT 500 came from the factory with a pumper carb and it ran better than my 2004 DR 650 with a CV carb. My first impression of my DR 650 was it was a waste of 150cc of additional displacement...until I woke it up with the TM40 pumper carb. Now it feels like a torquey thumper should. The improvement was worth the small (I could care less) loss of fuel economy.

Tech23

2000 Harley Davidson FXDWG
2011 Victory Cross Country
Tech23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 07:11 PM   #65745
Tech23
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 461
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyP View Post
Hello everyone!

I purchased a 96 DR650 from another inmate here in April and I'm closing in on getting it on the road. I just buttoned up the generator side cover and I'd like to know if this noise sounds normal. A bit of a gear noise in the area of the starter and or idler gear as I rotate the motor. Unfortunately I was so focused on the task at hand that I didn't check to see what it sounded like before I took the generator apart and the starter needing rebuilding when I purchased the bike so there are a few unknowns.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wt5Y...ature=youtu.be

Thanks to anyone who'd like to offer an opinion. This thread has been exceedingly helpful in my project so far, which has turned in to a bit more than I anticipated.

I was going to wait until I reached the end of this thread before I said hello (I'm on page ~730 right now; seriously) but I don't think I can't wait that long before a test fire :)
I wonder if maybe a thrust washer fell out while you had the cover off. Mine makes a (normal) scraping noise from the starter clutch when I turn the engine over backwards. Shoot the same video for us turning the engine in the direction it operates...CCW.

Tech23

2000 Harley Davidson FXDWG
2011 Victory Cross Country
Tech23 is offline   Reply With Quote