Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-12-2012, 01:44 PM   #65791
rivercreep
Banned

Oddometer: 3,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergDonk View Post
I agree that many out there run their chains too tight, and not just on DR650s. If you are routinely adjusting your chain, then your are probably over tightening it. And I have personal experience of owners manuals getting it wrong too, my gone but not forgotten ZX9R is a case in point.

And I thought that would be all it was with the upper chain roller too, until I came home from a ride in the mountains and the top roller and a piece of the frame was missing. I attributed this to getting on the power (read gas for NA) on landing from jumps. So with full suspension compression and max chain pull, the roller gave way. In fact the frame gave way.

I put it back, moving it a bit up and forward, plating the inside of the frame to strengthen that bit and and most importantly, welding a strap from under the bolt head up to the frame cross member. The bolt is supported from both ends, and the loads on the frame down tube are changed from bending/twisting to shear/compression No issues now, and for about 30,000 kms since repaired, even with the subsequently fitted Ohlins which has a longer travel, both compression and extension.

The stock bottom roller shows no issues. So my thinking now is that the top roller mount to the frame its under engineered for agressive riding, ie jumping, but should be fine everywhere else stock. YMMV. If removing it creates no issues, fine, but I prefer it there.

If you look closely in the pic you can see the support strap. I also fitted the smallest diameter roller I had lying about in the shed. It already had some use, and was grooved from its previous installation.

And borrowed from a previous post re chain tension:

Get all three axes in line for maximum chain length to set tension. Works on all bikes, not just DR650s. As the rear axle goes up or down from the above position, it gets looser as the distance from the rear axle to the cs gets shorter.

Steve
Great explanation for why some have problems and some don't
F.W.I.W. I never really was under power on landings. Your explanation, would explain why I never had problems in stock form.
My apologies for insinuating others were stupid and didn't know how to properly adjust a chain.
rivercreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 03:04 PM   #65792
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,555
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnkol View Post
You're welcome!

I have Shinkos 705 too; good road tyres, and I presume they would do reasonably well in hardpack dirt. But be careful on loose dirt conditions (gravel, sand, mud, etc.) because they offer seemingly no traction at all.
Yet another reply about the 705's since we're on the subject (sorry John, just 'cause we're on it - I'm not arguing with you, but I got to test them out today)

I went for a ride that had me in far deeper water than I should have been, and I buried half of the rear wheel in a mud hole mid-ride between the ponds. I came out feeling very, very lucky, and will not return to that area until I have friends with me to help pulls bikes out of deep water, and the tools needed to unflood a bike. But, anyway, I came away from the experience really impressed about the 705's. On loose seemingly mossy-covered rocks is where the bike would slip around, but on the soft bottoms of these water holes and mud holes the bike kept going as long as the motor kept going.

But I completely forgot about my open airbox, so when I tried to bomb this one at speed my bike stalled mid-pond:

There was a shorter, yet even deeper one that had me just about have a heart attack that I was going to lose my bike out there... but I hit a raised area in just the nick of time that kept my airbox from totally flooding out (even at low speed). Never again without friends. Shinko 705's get my vote for the best in class of the mostly-road tires though, lol. (not that I know much about the other options)
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 08:17 PM   #65793
jessepitt
Ride More

Oddometer: 993
What jets are you running that allow you to have the airbox open without it being crazy lean? I wouldnt think you would be getting very good mileage? Not to mention the drowning risk.
jessepitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 09:32 PM   #65794
Rex Nemo
horizon calling

Oddometer: 326
Hey guys, just when I got the pickup coil fixed on my DR650, my girlfriend's DR650 broke down and stranded her...on the Bay Bridge, no less. Grr.
She was following me and the bike lost power while she was on the throttle at 55 mph or so. The headlight remained on; the bike cranked but refused to re-start.

I got the truck and brought the bike home, checked battery voltage (battery is 3 months old; I replaced it when the bike died under power a few months ago. Did valves then, too), checked pickup coil and power source coil resistance (ohms in spec), and...the bike fired right up. Odd. I've read one online account of a DR dying under power, which turned out to be a battery cable grounding intermittently against the frame, so I'll check that next. I think I'll go ahead and replace the carb jets, too, and check the spark plug caps and wires.

Any ideas beyond that? Electrical or fueling? I'm a little stumped, since the problem seems intermittent; and of course I want my girlfriend to be as safe as possible on her bike.

Rex Nemo screwed with this post 06-12-2012 at 11:33 PM
Rex Nemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 09:57 PM   #65795
Escaped
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 488
[/QUOTE]
Any ideas beyond that? Electrical or fueling? I'm a little stumped, since the problem seems intermittent; and of course I want my girlfriend to be as safe as possible on her bike.[/QUOTE]

Intermittent kill or kick stand switch?

Sent from my MB520 using Tapatalk 2

DR650 - Eyes open all of the time
Escaped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 09:59 PM   #65796
procycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Nemo View Post
my girlfriend's DR650 broke down and stranded her...on the Bay Bridge, no less. Grr.
She was following me and the bike lost power while she was on the throttle at 55 mph or so. The headlight remained on; the bike cranked but refused to re-start.

I got the truck and brought the bike home, checked battery voltage (battery is 3 months old; I replaced it when the bike died under power a few months ago. Did valves then, too), checked pickup coil and power source coil resistance (ohms in spec), and...the bike fired right up. :wtf Odd.
First thing I'd check is the side stand 'safety' switch.
TurboDiesel Corvette - go to the end to start at the beginning
procycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 10:15 PM   #65797
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,137
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessepitt View Post
What jets are you running that allow you to have the airbox open without it being crazy lean? I wouldnt think you would be getting very good mileage? Not to mention the drowning risk.
Same as for an open airbox top. Just louder.
NordieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 10:19 PM   #65798
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,458
Ride for 'awhile' (at least 1/2 gallon of fuel), stop, open the gas cap and listen for a woosh caused by the vent in the cap not working.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 11:31 PM   #65799
Rex Nemo
horizon calling

Oddometer: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by procycle View Post
First thing I'd check is the side stand 'safety' switch.
Thanks, I should have mentioned that--the sidestand switch was removed long ago, so not an issue.

Also, thanks for shipping the laminar lip windscreen for her bike so quickly last month--it arrived just before we left for a 1,000-mile ride, and worked very nicely.

Also, I've checked the fuel filter, and the gas cap vent is new--doesn't mean I shouldn't check it though, of course. Thanks. Will check the kill switch while I'm at it.
Old 06-13-2012, 12:48 AM   #65800
BergDonk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Nemo View Post
Thanks, I should have mentioned that--the sidestand switch was removed long ago, so not an issue.

Also, thanks for shipping the laminar lip windscreen for her bike so quickly last month--it arrived just before we left for a 1,000-mile ride, and worked very nicely.

Also, I've checked the fuel filter, and the gas cap vent is new--doesn't mean I shouldn't check it though, of course. Thanks. Will check the kill switch while I'm at it.
Try the 2 pin connector under the tank to the coil I think. Mine came half out an dcaused an intermittent dead engine.

Steve
Old 06-13-2012, 02:11 AM   #65801
johnkol
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
No traction?

They're a little soft compared to a proper knobbly in the loose stuff but handle admirably.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco638 View Post
I've ridden 705s on hard pack, loose dirt, gravel and pavement. They handle those conditions reasonably well, considering the tread pattern.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo Dave View Post
Yet another reply about the 705's since we're on the subject

But, anyway, I came away from the experience really impressed about the 705's.
I have to ask, what are you guys comparing the 705s against? I have a KTM 200 with full knobbies (MT16 rear, Metzeler 6 Days front), and this last Sunday was the first time I took the DR to the dirt (mind you, this was just 20 miles in a trip that was 360 miles long). Actually, and despite the fact that I have been riding dirt for more than 20 years, this was the first time I took a dual-sport bike in general to the dirt -- and it scared me! The bike couldn't hold a straight line, constantly sliding at the slightest hint of a loose surface -- and this was definitely not one of the controlled slides that I am familiar with.

The bike was simply unpredictable, although I have to admit that the tyres were not the only ones to blame for this: the suspension did not work well either, and the bike in general was completely out of its comfort zone.

Granted, I committed a cardinal sin too by not airing down the tyres (left them at 22f, 25r), but I still did not expect this complete lack of traction.

Maybe I need to lower my expectations and adjust my riding; next time I'll air down to to 14f, 16r and see what happens, but I'm honestly not looking forward to this.
johnkol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 03:21 AM   #65802
Motodeficient
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessepitt View Post
The bike can only injest so much air. Just because the side cover is off the airbox doesn't mean it can injest more air than the top cut out of the airbox.
Motodeficient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 04:42 AM   #65803
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 9,591
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnkol View Post
I have to ask, what are you guys comparing the 705s against? I have a KTM 200 with full knobbies (MT16 rear, Metzeler 6 Days front), and this last Sunday was the first time I took the DR to the dirt (mind you, this was just 20 miles in a trip that was 360 miles long). Actually, and despite the fact that I have been riding dirt for more than 20 years, this was the first time I took a dual-sport bike in general to the dirt -- and it scared me! The bike couldn't hold a straight line, constantly sliding at the slightest hint of a loose surface -- and this was definitely not one of the controlled slides that I am familiar with.

The bike was simply unpredictable, although I have to admit that the tyres were not the only ones to blame for this: the suspension did not work well either, and the bike in general was completely out of its comfort zone.

Granted, I committed a cardinal sin too by not airing down the tyres (left them at 22f, 25r), but I still did not expect this complete lack of traction.

Maybe I need to lower my expectations and adjust my riding; next time I'll air down to to 14f, 16r and see what happens, but I'm honestly not looking forward to this.
Well, if you've been riding dirt for 20 years, then you know that suspension has a lot more to do with traction, handling and rideability then tires do. It's no secret that the DR stock suspension is woefully inadequate the minute you start to push it.
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 04:57 AM   #65804
vinik
slow learner

Oddometer: 36
Overheating DR650

Hi guys. I own a 99 SE stock which runs insanely hot and always worries me.
I live in Israel and the temp here is quite hot through out the year. but our summer is blazing hot, reaching temperatures of 104F easily. driving through city traffic slowly causes my DR to get to temperatures ranging from 302F to 392F. I Use a vapor trailtech connected under the plug (reading head temp).
I was thinking of installing Large electric fans to the oil cooler to keep the air flow even on stop lights. what do you guys think? is it necessary? my engine feels weird when it reaches 392+- temps, and I am forced to shut the bike off and wait for it to cool abit before going forward every time it gets that hot.

I would also like to add that i think the bike is overheating faster due to the carb running lean as my air mix screw got stuck inside without me being able to adjust or change it. but even before it got stuck there it was still running extremely hot at the head.
Old 06-13-2012, 05:19 AM   #65805
Rotten Ronnie
Crash

Oddometer: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
Well, if you've been riding dirt for 20 years, then you know that suspension has a lot more to do with traction, handling and rideability then tires do. It's no secret that the DR stock suspension is woefully inadequate the minute you start to push it.
I'd have laughed if someone suggested taking my KLR offload on 705s, as I've much more confidence on Trakmaster2s. The Shinkos look like commuting tires.

Ride Reports and other drivel:
http://rottenxxxronnie.blogspot.com/
Rotten Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote