User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-21-2012, 07:35 PM   #66196
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,368
Motion Pro Clutch Vise Grips:

How am I supposed to use them? I had a quick look, putting the tool on the basket the way it came, and it looks like it's not going to hold unless I put a fair amount of pressure on the hub, but I don't want to damage it. Should I be grinding down the tangs on the end so they're a little smaller and will engage the clutch inner basket better?

Help?
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 07:41 PM   #66197
slowleego
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Thanks...

Mongle,

You 'da man. I'll try that.

Cheers......
slowleego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 08:51 PM   #66198
TrophyHunter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,135

If you're talking about these, they seem odd to fit correctly but work. I was concerned about snapping things if I got 'em too tight, too. I put them on firmly - which is a "feel" thing and hard to explain. I work into the tension slowly by snapping them closed, feel if it's going to hold when I try to spin the basket holding nut and maybe pop 'em off and turn the adjuster in a half turn and repeat. I'm sorry I can't explain it better but just go slow at it. No grinding necessary.

"It's a small amount of gas, but it represents a long walk" My Dad...
TrophyHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 09:06 PM   #66199
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrophyHunter View Post

If you're talking about these, they seem odd to fit correctly but work. I was concerned about snapping things if I got 'em too tight, too. I put them on firmly - which is a "feel" thing and hard to explain. I work into the tension slowly by snapping them closed, feel if it's going to hold when I try to spin the basket holding nut and maybe pop 'em off and turn the adjuster in a half turn and repeat. I'm sorry I can't explain it better but just go slow at it. No grinding necessary.
Yeah, those are what I'm asking about. I guess I'll just try it again and see. Glad to hear no grinding is necessary.

Thanks.
Old 06-21-2012, 09:09 PM   #66200
ADV8
Taumarunui..Darwin..

Oddometer: 2,230
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
Motion Pro Clutch Vise Grips:

Help?
They are not designed for the DR type hub spline and are dubious at best. (imo)
EBC make a holder for under $20.
If you already have them a little late.

49 Sunbeam S7 Deluxe-57 TR6 Trophy-68 Huskys x 2-71 Commando Fastback-73 Ducati 750GT-73 Eldorado-74 TR5T x 2-74 Commando Roadster-73 and 74 H2A/B-77 and 81 900SD's-86 400WR-98 TL1000S x 2-08 DR780-07 Ducati HM 1100S
ADV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 09:18 PM   #66201
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADV8 View Post
They are not designed for the DR type hub spline and are dubious at best. (imo)
EBC make a holder for under $20.
If you already have them a little late.

Argh, that looks much more useful. What kind of spline is the MP tool made for? More like the flat slots than the round ones on the DR?
Old 06-21-2012, 11:23 PM   #66202
TrophyHunter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,135
ADV8 - Thx. I've had success with the Motion Pro tool but your concerns are interesting. I re-read the MP site description on the tool and there are a lot of things they mention that it doesn't work for. Without having my clutch to look at, I can't figure out if it's right or not. I know when I bought it, it specified on whatever site that it was for the DR...prolly auto fill computer program for a generic tool.

I like the look of the EBC so ordered one from Dennis Kirk. Thx for putting it out there.

"It's a small amount of gas, but it represents a long walk" My Dad...
TrophyHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 11:38 PM   #66203
ADV8
Taumarunui..Darwin..

Oddometer: 2,230
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrophyHunter View Post
ADV8 - Thx. I've had success with the Motion Pro tool but your concerns are interesting. I re-read the MP site description on the tool and there are a lot of things they mention that it doesn't work for. Without having my clutch to look at, I can't figure out if it's right or not. I know when I bought it, it specified on whatever site that it was for the DR...prolly auto fill computer program for a generic tool.

I like the look of the EBC so ordered one from Dennis Kirk. Thx for putting it out there.

To be truthful when I was looking for one I only knew about the Motion Pro version and did not know about the EBC tool which I only found by chance when doing a eBay search.
I got one off eBay for $19.99 plus post.

worldwide_motorcycle_equipment

I just like that it engages both the hub and basket.
I think MP address that some hubs have tapered tooth splines and others are square and perhaps that tool is better suited to a square type spline hubs (like RMZ's etc)

In the past,having the tooling needed I just made my own,no such luxury these days.

Any holder tool is better than none.
49 Sunbeam S7 Deluxe-57 TR6 Trophy-68 Huskys x 2-71 Commando Fastback-73 Ducati 750GT-73 Eldorado-74 TR5T x 2-74 Commando Roadster-73 and 74 H2A/B-77 and 81 900SD's-86 400WR-98 TL1000S x 2-08 DR780-07 Ducati HM 1100S
ADV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 11:42 PM   #66204
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,650
Here's a video showing a run out of the National Park near home.

Reasonably steep, hard surface with loose coating.

D952 front, Mitas E07 rear. I stay off the throttle at times because the rear is on the verge of breaking traction.

There are anti erosion humps that are pretty big, and i tend to just lift the front like I'm manualling through them and blip the throttle. This lands it flat on the upslope that the hump was carved from, usually it's like a step cut out of the face of the track.

You'll get the idea.

Standard DR suspension with gold valves and heavy springs did not do this well. Not at all.

This is the tail end of 4 hours of very similar riding. So I'm trying to get there, but not busting my ass...
Snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 12:02 AM   #66205
will_sc
Noob ADVcommuter

Oddometer: 51
Getting paper gasket off?

Hi All,

I'm in the garage late night preparing for a longish trip tomorrow. I'm doing the cam chain tensioner and having a hell of a time getting the old gasket off. Any suggestions? I search, but didn't find consistent answers. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks. I HAVE go on this trip tomorrow. It's to see off friends that are doing a cross country on mid 70's BMW airheads. I would almost not go than show up in a car!
will_sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 12:10 AM   #66206
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by will_sc View Post
Hi All,

I'm in the garage late night preparing for a longish trip tomorrow. I'm doing the cam chain tensioner and having a hell of a time getting the old gasket off. Any suggestions? I search, but didn't find consistent answers. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks. I HAVE go on this trip tomorrow. It's to see off friends that are doing a cross country on mid 70's BMW airheads. I would almost not go than show up in a car!
I had to fix a leak on mine in a hurry a week or so ago. I used my Leathermans tool knife blade and carefully scraped off the old gasket, using the blade perpendicular to the face and scraping almost like using a straight razor, but more upright. This took the gasket off without biting into the alloy.

I used Silastic hi temp sealant and made a good bead on the tensioner and let it go off until it didn't stick to my finger, but was still soft inside (it skinned) and then bolted it all back together.

No leaks.
Old 06-22-2012, 12:28 AM   #66207
will_sc
Noob ADVcommuter

Oddometer: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowy View Post
I had to fix a leak on mine in a hurry a week or so ago. I used my Leathermans tool knife blade and carefully scraped off the old gasket, using the blade perpendicular to the face and scraping almost like using a straight razor, but more upright. This took the gasket off without biting into the alloy.

I used Silastic hi temp sealant and made a good bead on the tensioner and let it go off until it didn't stick to my finger, but was still soft inside (it skinned) and then bolted it all back together.

No leaks.

Thanks for the reply! Leather,an isn't quite cutting it right now. Using a razor, works, but gouges easily. At this point I haven't unbolted anything except the oil lines around the cct. Think I'm taking off the header so I can actually get to the thing. We'll see how that goes.
will_sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 12:38 AM   #66208
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by will_sc View Post
Thanks for the reply! Leather,an isn't quite cutting it right now. Using a razor, works, but gouges easily. At this point I haven't unbolted anything except the oil lines around the cct. Think I'm taking off the header so I can actually get to the thing. We'll see how that goes.
Yeah, I dropped the oil lines off. Doesn't take long, they have O-rings on all but the top banjo fitting.

The gaskets are a bastard to shift.

The case gaskets do the same. Bake on rock hard and shatter when you need to remove things. It's why I carry Silastic and a knife everywhere with the bike.

I break a few cases. I have 2 clutch side and 1 stator in the garage as spares right now. Rocks, they'll do that to you.
Old 06-22-2012, 03:22 AM   #66209
Thumper Dan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowy View Post
Here's a video showing a run out of the National Park near home.

Reasonably steep, hard surface with loose coating.

D952 front, Mitas E07 rear. I stay off the throttle at times because the rear is on the verge of breaking traction.

There are anti erosion humps that are pretty big, and i tend to just lift the front like I'm manualling through them and blip the throttle. This lands it flat on the upslope that the hump was carved from, usually it's like a step cut out of the face of the track.

You'll get the idea.

Standard DR suspension with gold valves and heavy springs did not do this well. Not at all.

This is the tail end of 4 hours of very similar riding. So I'm trying to get there, but not busting my ass...
Hey, that's cool footage. I wish I had something close to home like that sort of riding. The climb seemed to keep going for a long time but the DR seemed to eat it up. I need to do my suspension, as its very plush when I get into anything; all standard at the moment.

Are you allowed to ride in National Parks near your place..............or are they designated public access roads ???

on ya
Mods: Manrack, ebay 48 litre top box, grind header pipe; B&B bash plate; bigger/better tool compartment (pvc pipe) - Screens For Bikes Windscreen, TM40 Pumper Carb, Safari Tank, Seat Concepts, Oxford Heater Grips, Highway Pegs, Wolfman Expidition bags and racks, HDB handguards, Cogent Mojave rear shock, intiminators, GSX muffler/mod
Thumper Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 04:56 AM   #66210
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

All gazetted roads. There are rules. I think I broke about 12 of them.

But you can't please every one, every time. This is Namadgi National Park. I had a good talk to the Ranger up there and he knows who I am when I go flying by. He's actually the only Ranger I've ever talked to that thinks we should have a similar access system to the US.

But he is from the US.

Locally most of the rangers will usually tell you "no trail bikes".

I've been stopped by a few who try to play all hard man. I point at the bike "registered', point at myself "licensed", point at the road "gazetted road" and wave good bye as I ride away.

I firmly believe in not negotiating with idiots. They "interpret" the legislation to suit themselves. If you stay on the marked roads and "observe the speed limit", there isn't a thing they can do. They know it, but try to bluff you out of some eco-warrior sense of do-goody crap. These were all timber plantations at one stage, Canberra was built using timber logged in the National Park, which is listed as a World Heritage Area of significance because of it's "unspoiled biodiversity" etc etc.

It makes me sick thinking about it.

There are no "unregistered trail bikes" allowed in National Parks or State Forests.

I have had a ranger threaten to get physical with me on my MTB while I was peddling through a reserve along the Murrumbidgee River. I pointed out that she might want to go and get 2 big male friends and come back, but the outcome would be the same.

Know the legislation, know your rights, take no prisoners. Never negotiate.

Otherwise, you may as well go buy some Motard wheels.