User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2012, 12:55 AM   #66346
slim.410
hellbilly hillraiser!

Oddometer: 46
definitely blown!

The gasket had a substantial tear in in but, looks like it was sucked in not pushed out. about 3/4 of it just fell out as soon as I pulled the cover. Scraped the rest off with my pocket knife, put a nice bead of rtv and put it back together. Now just sit and watch the silicon dry...Dunno and don't care at this point as long as I can get to my girls... thanks guys!
Old 06-24-2012, 01:31 AM   #66347
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,491
It's arguing semantics, but if I wanted the extra performance at the expense of economy I'd just get a Husaberg and stop deluding myself.

As for the KTM argument, been there, tried them. Still have the BMW. I love to hate the BMW. But to be fair, trading it on the big KTM would be a backward step in a lot of ways. Ever been on a ride with the owners of KTMs? You get used to stopping every 20 mins, and peering into fuel tanks, followed by several seconds of mental calculations, followed by a revised trip itinerary. It gets old fast.

Every one I know who has changed carbs and claimed better fuel consumption has eventually got rid of the bike/car... whatever... and if you ask years down the track...fuel consumption was the primary reason. They told you at the time it was just great, let a couple of years go under the bridge and "oh it was just friggin terrible, I was always worried about fuel in the scrub...blah blah"

It's never objective. If I just spent $400 to get better performance AND better fuel consumption, and I only get performance, it's likely I'm going to say it's about the same when someone asks. The average person isn't going to admit they got sucker punched. You start trying to find ways to make it the same when you calculate it....did I take into account the speedo error, did I really fill it all the way to the same point, maybe I could have squeezed another litre into it...

It's a DR forum. Performance is an entirely speculative and relative issue. A couple of HP is HUGE. All the HP in the world will not get you up a rocky snotty hill.

For that you'll just have to learn to ride.
Snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 01:36 AM   #66348
Spud2836
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
[QUOTE=Snowy;18979714]It's arguing semantics, but if I wanted the extra performance at the expense of economy I'd just get a Husaberg and stop deluding myself.

As for the KTM argument, been there, tried them. Still have the BMW. I love to hate the BMW. But to be fair, trading it on the big KTM would be a backward step in a lot of ways. Ever been on a ride with the owners of KTMs? You get used to stopping every 20 mins, and peering into fuel tanks, followed by several seconds of mental calculations, followed by a revised trip itinerary. It gets old fast.

Every one I know who has changed carbs and claimed better fuel consumption has eventually got rid of the bike/car... whatever... and if you ask years down the track...fuel consumption was the primary reason. They told you at the time it was just great, let a couple of years go under the bridge and "oh it was just friggin terrible, I was always worried about fuel in the scrub...blah blah"

It's never objective. If I just spent $400 to get better performance AND better fuel consumption, and I only get performance, it's likely I'm going to say it's about the same when someone asks. The average person isn't going to admit they got sucker punched. You start trying to find ways to make it the same when you calculate it....did I take into account the speedo error, did I really fill it all the way to the same point, maybe I could have squeezed another litre into it...

It's a DR forum. Performance is an entirely speculative and relative issue. A couple of HP is HUGE. All the HP in the world will not get you up a rocky snotty hill.

For that you'll just have to learn to ride.

Have a beer buddy and chill.
Spud2836 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 01:53 AM   #66349
kezzajohnson
kezza

Oddometer: 883
DR vs BMW vs KTM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug s. View Post
snowy, most folks find a significant improvement in overall ride-ability, (w/o a major fuel efficiency loss - if any), with a relatively nominal inwestment in a pumper carb. (and suspension mods seem to me to be another dr "must have", regardless of carb/engine tune.) over 4400 pages/66000 posts, and you are about the only person who doesn't think the pumper carb is a great worthwhile mod in almost any situation. i am averaging 45-50mpg w/my fcr39 carb; this seems to be in line w/what most folks average, regardless of whether they have pumper or stock carb. and i have a tendency to be a bit heavy on the throttle. ya, i have heard some folks averaging >50mpg - with both stock & pumper carbs. (not sure what procycle has to do w/any of this. they're not the only ones offering pumper carb upgrades.)

i don't think that the argument about riding a bmw 800 instead, or buying a husaberg 570 (or ktm/husky/aprilia/etc) is applicable. yes, i could see the logic in making that argument if you were considering spending ~$3k for a full monty big-bore/cam/head engine upgrade to a dr650. at that point, sure, you may as well buy the high-performance exotic machinery instead. but even then, some will still prefer the simplicity/reliability of the dr, even tho they could have had one of the exotics for the same money.

ymmv,

doug s.
What about " I just love my DR and wouldn't swap it for quids and might as well make it as good as I can" argument

"May the Road Never Rise to Defeat you..."
kezzajohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 01:57 AM   #66350
DR Steve
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 243
Snowy,

What your suggesting re the fuel economy with pumper carbs is probably true in many cases, as the fact of the matter is not many carbed bikes are tuned properly.

I can't comment on the TM40 as I have no experience with it, but I have with the FCR's.
The simple fact is they meter the fuel far more accurately than the BST40 can, and properly tuned they will get both better economy and performance/throttle response. I have done hundreds of klm's of instrumented testing with both the BST and FCR carbs on my DR - you just can't get the BST right everywhere - so to be not too lean in one area you have to be too rich in another. This is not an issue with the FCR.

Performance is much more subjective and I can see how you could judge the gains as not worth it if you have your BST dialled in.
To suggest that a pumper carbed DR will allways get worse fuel economy than the stock BST is just plain wrong.
The worst economy I have achieved with the FCR is 22klm/ltr - normally around the 24 mark for trail riding. Adventure type riding/cruising gravel roads obviously gets even better economy.

My FCR owes me about $250 including the purchase of a few differnt needles and jets - without a doubt money well spent for me.

Cheers,

Steve

DR Steve screwed with this post 06-24-2012 at 02:11 AM
DR Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 02:04 AM   #66351
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,491
Well we'll see.

Once I get the BMW front end sorted, and reassemble the trail DR, I was already considering a pumper for the other DR.

I suppose I'll just have to push the timetable along and have a look.

But I don't expect "spectacular" results. I was going to put a 30 litre tank on that bike anyway.
Snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 06:26 AM   #66352
TrophyHunter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,595
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Jeff View Post
Turned over 30k miles today..still have never touched the carb, NSU screws, chain rollers,bearings, etc...just had to replace original battery last week.. bike runs perfect... WHAT AM I DOING WRONG??

Independent Thinker......obviously.

"It's a small amount of gas, but it represents a long walk" My Dad...
TrophyHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 06:33 AM   #66353
Bronco638
Nobody Home

Oddometer: 3,301
Thanks

Thanks to those who replied concerning spark plugs (CR10E versus CR9E) and oiling the piston rings.

I ended up sourcing a pair of standard CR10E plugs and will order a set of iridiums. After removing the old plugs, I used a soda straw to determine the location of the piston (luckily near BDC). I dipped the straw into a motor oil container, put my finger over the open end and "trapped" about 1/2 a teaspoon of oil in the straw. I then inserted the straw into the inner spark plug hole. When the straw hit the cylinder wall, I let it slide down until it stopped at the piston. I removed my finger from the open end and let the oil drain where the piston and cylinder wall meet. The DR is sitting on a lift so it's pretty vertical. I'm thinking the oil will creep around the circumference of the piston and lube the rings (which will help with compression upon start up). I still plan to spin the motor, with one plug out, to circulate some oil before trying to start it.

I appreciate the replies, thanks again.

Andy holds the lead. And he will, all the way to the Highway. Today is his day.
Bronco638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 06:41 AM   #66354
sagedrifter
Southern Explorer

Oddometer: 1,350
This thread has really gone to mindless bickering based on fiction or one's own personal twisted view on reality.

There is some good info in here, but its not worth the hassle of digging through the bitch fest.

The BS now covers the useful tech entirely.

Some forums refuse to feed trolls who do nothing than belittle other posters and argue just for spite. Not this one. Before long the DR650 won't even be the subject.

By....

Sent from my GT-S5690L using Tapatalk 2
sagedrifter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 06:41 AM   #66355
sagedrifter
Southern Explorer

Oddometer: 1,350
Quote:
Originally Posted by sagedrifter View Post
This thread has really gone to mindless bickering based on fiction or one's own personal twisted view on reality.

There is some good info in here, but its not worth the hassle of digging through the bitch fest.

The BS now covers the useful tech entirely.

Some forums refuse to feed trolls who do nothing than belittle other posters and argue just for spite. Not this one. Before long the DR650 won't even be the subject.

down:

sagedrifter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 07:03 AM   #66356
N.dica
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
MY last on the subject, but after a couple days with the tm40, in my opinion it is no contest that the tm40 is so much better than the properly rejetted BST. It isn't even debatable. Ive no experience with an FCR, but the TM was a wicked upgrade and I'd do it again without a second thought.

50mpg by the way
N.dica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 07:59 AM   #66357
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 7,562
Quote:
Originally Posted by sagedrifter View Post
Doesn't help matters much when you senselessly quote yourself.
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 09:04 AM   #66358
dec181966
Dude on a motorcycle

Oddometer: 157
Exactly!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Jeff View Post
Turned over 30k miles today..still have never touched the carb, NSU screws, chain rollers,bearings, etc...just had to replace original battery last week.. bike runs perfect... WHAT AM I DOING WRONG??
Just ride and fix it when it needs it!!
Old 06-24-2012, 10:42 AM   #66359
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,990
Quote:
Originally Posted by slim.410 View Post
The gasket had a substantial tear in in but, looks like it was sucked in not pushed out. about 3/4 of it just fell out as soon as I pulled the cover. Scraped the rest off with my pocket knife, put a nice bead of rtv and put it back together. Now just sit and watch the silicon dry...Dunno and don't care at this point as long as I can get to my girls... thanks guys!
Slim, glad to hear you got it figured out. Yours is the first time in this entire thread to have this happen: like that helps.
Hope you have your family back together and things worked out last night.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 02:42 PM   #66360
Feelers
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 181
Cool2

Does anyone live in or near NE Ohio and have a pumpered DR? I'd like to ride a pumpered DR, and my DR back-to-back if you wouldn't mind. I'd also like to see the difference between my bike and a KTM 690, TE 630, and BMW 650 if anyone is willing. I'm mostly curious about engine performance right now, so I'd only really want a road test, so I won't hurt anyone's bike!
Just thought I'd ask.
Feelers is offline   Reply With Quote