Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-2012, 05:32 AM   #66346
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,730
Quote:
Originally Posted by dljocky View Post
My last valve check was over 4700 miles ago. I'm leaving this afternoon for a trip. 1300 miles total. The valve check totally slipped my mind. Any thoughts on whether this would be alright, or should I postpone it? 2009 DR650 with 33,000 miles.
Thanks all.
Is there valve clearance noise?

Have you had to make adjustments regularly, or do you just check and confirm?

If there's no noise, or they have had to have regular adjustment then maybe you should have a quick peek in there.

Mine have been fine for nearly 40,000km. No adjustments. Just occasional checks.

But I've run high concentrations of Molybdenum, 10-70 full synthetic oil, and heavy duty oil stabiliser since near new. If they needed adjustment I'd be curious as to why. According to the claims made by the manufacturers I should get about a quadrillion km on this engine before rebuild.***

***claims may not be factual.
Snowy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 06:03 AM   #66347
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 9,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feelers View Post
I'd also like to see the difference between my bike and a KTM 690, TE 630, and BMW 650 if anyone is willing. I'm mostly curious about engine performance right now, so I'd only really want a road test, so I won't hurt anyone's bike!
Just thought I'd ask.
Oh, you really, really, really don't want to do that, the DR is what it is, but you start comparing it to the 690 or 630 you're gonna hate it.
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 06:05 AM   #66348
JoshB
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Pics from this weekends ride

Rode up georgia pass and webster pass this weekend.

Top of Webster pass /\/\/\

top of geogria pass and the continental divide.
JoshB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 06:07 AM   #66349
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 9,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaThumper View Post
I thought I had read that the Freeride WOULD be street legal, but I guess we won't know for SURE until it shows up here, hopefully next year. And while the power is down at 24hp, with a weight of 220 it could be enough and hopefully the detuned 350cc motor has good power at lower RPMs and a nice wide power band! I'll bet there will be ways to get a little more power out if it too, since it's essentially a detuned makeover of the 45+ horsepower 350 exc-f.
The Freeride is not what a lot of people seem to think it's going to be. It's an Enduro/Trials hybrid. It is not meant to be a competitor to the WR 250R as a dual sport.
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 06:13 AM   #66350
Motodeficient
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowy View Post

52.3MPG 22.5km/l average.

Congrats, after all that you still get the same or less mileage than most people, including myself, got with the recommended Dynojet settings. And yes, it also ran good. I didn't even notice much of a difference when I switched to a pumper carb.
Motodeficient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 07:10 AM   #66351
shu

Oddometer: 999
Quote:
Originally Posted by dljocky View Post
My last valve check was over 4700 miles ago. I'm leaving this afternoon for a trip. 1300 miles total. The valve check totally slipped my mind. Any thoughts on whether this would be alright, or should I postpone it? 2009 DR650 with 33,000 miles.
Thanks all.
Regular Suzuki maintenance schedule for checking valves is every 7500 miles. You will only be at 6,000 miles when you return. Plus, if your bike is like mine, the valves are pretty stable anyway. (My bike has 45,000 miles on it, and I haven't had to touch the valves since I checked them at 7500 miles.)

Ride and don't worry about it.

.................shu
shu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 07:14 AM   #66352
Spud2836
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
Eek

Quote:
Originally Posted by BergDonk View Post
Yeah, the last one is replacing a cush drive bearing on the banks of the Darling at Wilcannia while we had lunch.

The bike was recently new to the rider, and it was his first big trip. I checked all the cush bearings most days, but forgot the night before, so while the puncture was being fixed on the other DR, I checked them again. 600 kms since checked, and about 2-3 mm lateral movement of the sprocket had developed in that time. Changed it 50 kms later on a nice concrete footpath. It was a double sealed All Balls or Moose, the ones with blue seals with no markings, and had seen some water, and no extra grease had been added. I doubt any bearing would have done much better. The wheel bearings weren't great either, so while it was out, did them too.

The pic before was a different bike a couple of hours before when the rider kept riding with a flat E09 Dakar, the stiff sidewall one. The tube was spirally shredded and beyond repair. The tyre wasn't great either, with noticable sidewall damage internally. It was also a major pain to break the bead due to the heat and it welding itself to the rim. Just found these pics FYI, seen a tube like this before?

Biggest fuel range needed on this trip was Arkaroola to Cameron Corner, about 420 kms.

Here's a couple more:

Steve

Nice photos, almost made me homesick. I was born and raised in Wilcannia. Family and friends still their. I did say almost homesick.
Spud2836 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 07:36 AM   #66353
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,730
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motodeficient View Post
Congrats, after all that you still get the same or less mileage than most people, including myself, got with the recommended Dynojet settings. And yes, it also ran good. I didn't even notice much of a difference when I switched to a pumper carb.
Ah, ok. So everyone else is wrong and you are the only one that's right. That's what you're saying here.

talking to you guys about DRs is like talking Ice Hockey with a Canadian who can't skate....eh!
Snowy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 07:38 AM   #66354
dljocky
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 861
Snowy,
Thanks for the input.

Shu, I could almost swear that my suzuki manual calls for 3500 mile valve checks................Am I wrong about this?
I tried looking it up online, but cant find it. I was planning on heading out right after work today.
Thanks everybody. I really appreciate this forum.

Edit: Found this on Zenseeker. 7500 mile intervals. My manual is wrong. Thanks again!

http://dr650.zenseeker.net/ValveAdjustment.htm

Quote:
Originally Posted by shu View Post
Regular Suzuki maintenance schedule for checking valves is every 7500 miles. You will only be at 6,000 miles when you return. Plus, if your bike is like mine, the valves are pretty stable anyway. (My bike has 45,000 miles on it, and I haven't had to touch the valves since I checked them at 7500 miles.)

Ride and don't worry about it.

.................shu

dljocky screwed with this post 06-25-2012 at 08:51 AM
dljocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 11:55 AM   #66355
froggy68
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Engine Oil Question

Can I use 15-50W Mobil 1 oil in my DR650se (2007). I can get all I want for a limited time for the great price of $1.99 per quart. Does the oil have to be motorcycle specific?
froggy68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 12:05 PM   #66356
Feelers
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by froggy68 View Post
Can I use 15-50W Mobil 1 oil in my DR650se (2007). I can get all I want for a limited time for the great price of $1.99 per quart. Does the oil have to be motorcycle specific?
Yes you can.
No it doesn't.

Just make sure it does NOT say "energy conserving" on the label.
Feelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 12:31 PM   #66357
vintagespeed
fNg

Oddometer: 1,752
8mos with Distanzias

just a brief tire report, been rocking these last 8mos, daily commute i've laid down just shy of 10k miles on them, great grip even after all those miles i'll still lay 'er over in the twisties and grin the whole way through. no chicken strips. :P

i could eek out another month or so on the rear, the DS compound kicks ass:

front started cupping noticably around 5k miles:

gonna be switching out to a more street-friendly tire set.

TAT-2013: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=913898
SoCal_NoDak-2012: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=829203
vintagespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 12:45 PM   #66358
sintax
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagespeed View Post
just a brief tire report, been rocking these last 8mos, daily commute i've laid down just shy of 10k miles on them, great grip even after all those miles i'll still lay 'er over in the twisties and grin the whole way through. no chicken strips. :P

i could eek out another month or so on the rear, the DS compound kicks ass:

front started cupping noticably around 5k miles:

gonna be switching out to a more street-friendly tire set.
Boy, that rear tire sure has a lot of the middle missing. You gotta lean that bike over a little more! =)
sintax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 12:46 PM   #66359
opium89
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,136
Gold Valve Install - Front Forks

Need some info...I tore down my front forks over the weekend in preparation for the Gold Valve installation and some new springs. According to the Gold Valve installation instructions, I am supposed to put a washer on both ends of the spacer near the top. Problem: I only pulled one washer out of each fork.

Are you folks ordering up new washers for this install? I don't see that there should have been two looking at the parts breakdown of the fork.

Also, can someone perhaps clarify what the hell size holes I am supposed to drill. It says 5/16ths or 1/4". I believe the existing holes are already 5/16", I was simply going to add two additional holes to each damper rod. Is this correct?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-25-2012, 12:50 PM   #66360
vintagespeed
fNg

Oddometer: 1,752
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by sintax View Post
Boy, that rear tire sure has a lot of the middle missing. You gotta lean that bike over a little more! =)
no kidding, i think i need to re-route the long way more often. now if only i could find someone to ride with that could keep up........

TAT-2013: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=913898
SoCal_NoDak-2012: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=829203
vintagespeed is offline   Reply With Quote