Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-02-2012, 02:29 PM   #66541
Feelers
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minsk99 View Post
Hey,
I'm going to be doing some basic mods to the carb to deal with the well known lean issues with the DR. I have the extended fuel mixture screw and intend to turn out 1.5 turns (to start). It seems like many have suggested to shim the needle with a #4 (0.03") washer as well. However, I am not sure that I am going to pull the snorkel in the air box. If I opt not to, do folks still recommend shimming the needle? If so, should I shim with a smaller washer, as the #4 seems to be recommended in concert with the snorkel removal? Thanks.
What are the well-known lean issues?
Feelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 02:57 PM   #66542
BadDogMax
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 160
Quote:
Hey,
I'm going to be doing some basic mods to the carb to deal with the well known lean issues with the DR. I have the extended fuel mixture screw and intend to turn out 1.5 turns (to start). It seems like many have suggested to shim the needle with a #4 (0.03") washer as well. However, I am not sure that I am going to pull the snorkel in the air box. If I opt not to, do folks still recommend shimming the needle? If so, should I shim with a smaller washer, as the #4 seems to be recommended in concert with the snorkel removal? Thanks.
I have the snorkel pulled and a #4 washer under the needle. The bike runs perfectly, all surging and stalling is gone, just a few pops on decel now and again.

However, I check my mileage at each fillup and it's consistently 45-50MPG no matter the terrain or speeds. Maybe that's perfect, but I read about others getting 55MPG and I only got that once on a big downhill run. It makes me wonder if the low mileage is because of California's 10% ethanol gas, or if I should try a thinner washer. With no washer I have surging at steady speeds and I'm not going back there...
Old 07-02-2012, 03:03 PM   #66543
TinkerinWstuff
Take it apart

Oddometer: 1,292
Quote:
Hey,
In my experience, you can remove the snorkel and reinstall it easy enough. Shimming the needle would adjust your mid range but not wide open throttle and high RPM. Opening the airbox allows it to move more air at high RPM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feelers View Post
Wasn't aware of that one either.
TinkerinWstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 03:53 PM   #66544
Krusty ...
What? Me hurry?

Oddometer: 7,598
Wow, I've been away from this thread for a while. Just caught up. I feel awful for being so remiss, but I want everyone to know that I'll be adding...

Topic 16- WASHERS

to the DR650 Index. Any day now. Keep checking...

[Jeebus, people, I thought winter was over. WTF ]
Old 07-02-2012, 03:55 PM   #66545
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feelers View Post
The idle fuel screw is lean (and why some drill out the brass plug: I don't remember how many turns it was at from Zuki: 1.5 now), the midrange is lean (why some shim the needle or use an aftermarket jet kit), and a tad rich on the main (reported by someone smarter than me). FWIW: at 5500ft and above, dropping to a 135 main jet (from 140), made a noticeable improvement in performance 'on the main'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadDogMax View Post
I have the snorkel pulled and a #4 washer under the needle. The bike runs perfectly, all surging and stalling is gone, just a few pops on decel now and again.

However, I check my mileage at each fillup and it's consistently 45-50MPG no matter the terrain or speeds. Maybe that's perfect, but I read about others getting 55MPG and I only got that once on a big downhill run. It makes me wonder if the low mileage is because of California's 10% ethanol gas, or if I should try a thinner washer. With no washer I have surging at steady speeds and I'm not going back there...
Previously I would gloat about my mileage and wonder why everyone was doing carb mods, until another inmate mentioned that I ride at 5500ft +, 100% of the time. Altitude does matter. But you have horsepower, and I don't.

The 10% ethanol has less btu's per gallon, and does affect our mileage. Since there's next to nowhere to get straight gas here, I can't experiment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinkerinWstuff View Post
In my experience, you can remove the snorkel and reinstall it easy enough. Shimming the needle would adjust your mid range but not wide open throttle and high RPM. Opening the airbox allows it to move more air at high RPM.

Wasn't aware of that one either.
Tinkerin: you don't notice the lean jetting for the same reason I don't: we're both high.

Due to your Tinkerin Title, try a 135 MJ, ya mite like it.

I agree that there's no downside to removing the snorkel and it's a noticeable improvement. Ok, it might help with deep water crossings, maybe.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 03:57 PM   #66546
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krusty ... View Post
Wow, I've been away from this thread for a while. Just caught up. I feel awful for being so remiss, but I want everyone to know that I'll be adding...

Topic 16- WASHERS

to the DR650 Index. Any day now. Keep checking...

[Jeebus, people, I thought winter was over. WTF ]

Quote:
Old 07-02-2012, 04:48 PM   #66547
BergDonk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,467
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motodeficient View Post
Does anyone make a DIY seat kit for the DR650 that raises the seat height a little, maybe an inch in the middle of the seat? Was looking at the Seat Concepts and Procycle Saddleman kits. But a review I read said that the Procycle kit actually lower seat height a little.
I need all my seats taller, and do this by scrounging at my local bike wrecker for a damaged seat thats cheap, usually about $10-20. You want one thats about the right shape, then remove the foam from it and toss the rest. Using a electric carving knife and various sanding tools shape the new foam into a saddle for the original, after removing the stock cover. Test, and trim. When its right, I took the stock cover to my local upholsterer who then sewed a extra strip around the stock cover so it all fits back together. Works for my Bergs, my 1400GTR, AKA C14, and DR650. Cheap, custom, and comfy. I think I used a Yamaha XT or TT 600 on my DR.

Steve
Old 07-02-2012, 04:52 PM   #66548
Taikimoto
wheresthatgo?

Oddometer: 46
Quote:
Hey,
These were the first things I did to my DR when I got it a few weeks ago. It was surging like crazy and really rough mid range. I took the snorkel off, shimmed the needle, and adjusted the air mixture screw out about 2 turns and it now runs great. All for the price of a 10 cent washer. Not to shabby. Pretty sure I used a #4 washer also.
Taikimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 04:57 PM   #66549
opium89
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,136
Spring (in to INSANITY!)

Okay, where before I wasn't, now I am pissed off.

For those of you following along with my fork spring dilemma over the passed two weeks (for better or worse), I have some findings that I think the general shopping public needs to know.

So, you don't have to go back through and read everything posted in about this in the last few weeks, here's the story so far in a nutshell:

1. Ordered what I was told specifically would be Eibach front fork springs in .50kg/mm (along with a few other things) from Pro Cycle on 6/14.

2. After reading the Gold Valve emulator instructions, realized I was two washers short for installing them.

3. A few posts here and there on this thread and it was discovered that others had indeed received four new washers with their Eibach Spring orders. Apparently, both Eibach and Race Tech (a bit more on Race Tech shortly) both include them in their spring packages.

4. My posts were finally replied to by Pro Cycle on here, claiming I was sent a "custom wound spring" due to "supply issues" with getting the Eibach springs in the spring rate I ordered.

5. Sent a personal email to Jeff @ Pro Cycle on 6/29 early afternoon, asking how he would like to go about resolving this issue for me.

6. No response from Jeff as of this morning 7/2, decided to call.

7. Spoke with Carl (Karl?), who tells me Jeff is "in the shop", and apparently is too busy to be bothered with someone who has had his front end in pieces for roughly two weeks now due to some issues with his parts. I explain the situation to Carl (Karl?), who again insists that the springs I was sold were made by Eibach.

---At this point, I am REALLY confused! Fair enough, I call Eibach directly and speak to a nice fellow by the name of Ryan. I explain my situation to him.

8. Ryan @ Eibach tells me if they are Eibach springs, they would have stamped on or near the top of the springs the spring rate, along with a 5 digit product code. I come home, inspect the springs, I see "50" on the top, and no product code anywhere I can find.

Ryan explains to me they have made springs for Keintech before, they also happen to make the springs that Race Tech sells, but they have never contracted with Pro Cycle to make springs for them. Incidentally, Ryan also tells me the Eibach .50kg/mm springs are in stock, but I cannot buy them directly from them and have to go through one of their dealers.

Why am I pissed? Let me count the ways...

1. My bike has been in pieces for two weeks now trying to get to the bottom of this, with as of this moment still no end in sight.

2. The vendor, as evidenced by their own response, is fully aware of this issue has not made even the slightest effort to respond to me directly about it, much less do anything to resolve it.

3. What I thought I was purchasing has now been misrepresented not once, but twice by this vendor. You'd think that after the first time, a good "talking to" would have been in order to straighten out the people answering the phones and passing along information that is completely false.

At this point, I can't wait any longer. My vehicle lease is up, and the DR is to be my only mode of transportation for the next coming months, at least until I get in to my new house. I have decided to install the springs of unknown origin, from unknown manufacturer, with unknown warranty in to the bike and just avoid doing business with these folks any longer.

I apologize if some of you think this is "whining about a vendor", or "customer service complaints", but you know what, I can't imagine why I would or could keep this to myself at this point. I think there are certainly some folks here that are going to appreciate this information, especially if you've been following along with the drama specifically.

opium89 screwed with this post 07-02-2012 at 05:48 PM
opium89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 05:10 PM   #66550
BergDonk
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BergDonk View Post
I need all my seats taller, and do this by scrounging at my local bike wrecker for a damaged seat thats cheap, usually about $10-20. You want one thats about the right shape, then remove the foam from it and toss the rest. Using a electric carving knife and various sanding tools shape the new foam into a saddle for the original, after removing the stock cover. Test, and trim. When its right, I took the stock cover to my local upholsterer who then sewed a extra strip around the stock cover so it all fits back together. Works for my Bergs, my 1400GTR, AKA C14, and DR650. Cheap, custom, and comfy. I think I used a Yamaha XT or TT 600 on my DR.

Steve
Here are some pics of when I did my 650 Berg one. Missing is the electric knife which is a great tool for this work.

The last 2 pics are a comparison of the end result, which was a boosted stock seat compared to the factory high seat that I felt was still a bit too low and narrow for me. The saddle foam I used was the original seat foam from my 501 on this seat.

The same process was followed with my DR seat., and as mentioned above, when I did my DR, I used a Yamaha XT or TT 600 foam for a similar outcome.

Steve
Old 07-02-2012, 05:44 PM   #66551
TinkerinWstuff
Take it apart

Oddometer: 1,292
Quote:
Originally Posted by ER70S-2 View Post

Tinkerin: you don't notice the lean jetting for the same reason I don't: we're both high.

Due to your Tinkerin Title, try a 135 MJ, ya mite like it.

I've gone with the FCR-MX carb mod
TinkerinWstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 05:51 PM   #66552
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinkerinWstuff View Post
I've gone with the FCR-MX carb mod

Quote:
Old 07-02-2012, 06:04 PM   #66553
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 9,412
Quote:
Originally Posted by opium89 View Post
Okay, where before I wasn't, now I am pissed off.

For those of you following along with my fork spring dilemma over the passed two weeks (for better or worse), I have some findings that I think the general shopping public needs to know.

So, you don't have to go back through and read everything posted in about this in the last few weeks, here's the story so far in a nutshell:

1. Ordered what I was told specifically would be Eibach front fork springs in .50kg/mm (along with a few other things) from Pro Cycle on 6/14.

2. After reading the Gold Valve emulator instructions, realized I was two washers short for installing them.

3. A few posts here and there on this thread and it was discovered that others had indeed received four new washers with their Eibach Spring orders. Apparently, both Eibach and Race Tech (a bit more on Race Tech shortly) both include them in their spring packages.

4. My posts were finally replied to by Pro Cycle on here, claiming I was sent a "custom wound spring" due to "supply issues" with getting the Eibach springs in the spring rate I ordered.

5. Sent a personal email to Jeff @ Pro Cycle on 6/29 early afternoon, asking how he would like to go about resolving this issue for me.

6. No response from Jeff as of this morning 7/2, decided to call.

7. Spoke with Carl (Karl?), who tells me Jeff is "in the shop", and apparently is too busy to be bothered with someone who has had his front end in pieces for roughly two weeks now due to some issues with his parts. I explain the situation to Carl (Karl?), who again insists that the springs I was sold were made by Eibach.

---At this point, I am REALLY confused! Fair enough, I call Eibach directly and speak to a nice fellow by the name of Ryan. I explain my situation to him.

8. Ryan @ Eibach tells me if they are Eibach springs, they would have stamped on or near the top of the springs the spring rate, along with a 5 digit product code. I come home, inspect the springs, I see "50" on the top, and no product code anywhere I can find.

Ryan explains to me they have made springs for Keintech before, they also happen to make the springs that Race Tech sells, but they have never contracted with Pro Cycle to make springs for them. Incidentally, Ryan also tells me the Eibach .50kg/mm springs are in stock, but I cannot buy them directly from them and have to go through one of their dealers.

Why am I pissed? Let me count the ways...

1. My bike has been in pieces for two weeks now trying to get to the bottom of this, with as of this moment still no end in sight.

2. The vendor, as evidenced by their own response, is fully aware of this issue has not made even the slightest effort to respond to me directly about it, much less do anything to resolve it.

3. What I thought I was purchasing has now been misrepresented not once, but twice by this vendor. You'd think that after the first time, a good "talking to" would have been in order to straighten out the people answering the phones and passing along information that is completely false.

At this point, I can't wait any longer. My vehicle lease is up, and the DR is to be my only mode of transportation for the next coming months, at least until I get in to my new house. I have decided to install the springs of unknown origin, from unknown manufacturer, with unknown warranty in to the bike and just avoid doing business with these folks any longer.

I apologize if some of you think this is "whining about a vendor", or "customer service complaints", but you know what, I can't imagine why I would or could keep this to myself at this point. I think there are certainly some folks here that are going to appreciate this information, especially if you've been following along with the drama specifically.
I can understand your anger at the vendor, they lied to you and appear to care less about resolving the issues. But for fucks sake, why don't you just go down to a hardware store, spend a buck and buy a couple washers? How many people do you know have EVER had a spring failure in their forks? Do you really think you need a lifetime warranty on them? They're nothing but wound steel.
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 06:26 PM   #66554
opium89
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
I can understand your anger at the vendor, they lied to you and appear to care less about resolving the issues. But for fucks sake, why don't you just go down to a hardware store, spend a buck and buy a couple washers? How many people do you know have EVER had a spring failure in their forks? Do you really think you need a lifetime warranty on them? They're nothing but wound steel.
I purchased the washers a week ago, so let's just drop the whole "washer" talk now shall we? No matter how much you and others have tried to make it be, this issue has not been, and never will be about two .20 cent washers.

Incidentally, it does happen. Took me all of about two seconds to find this over at Thumpertalk:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/635...n-fork-spring/

I am setting out on a 3000 mile ride early next year with my son. So yeah, I want to have a little confidence in the parts I am installing in to these two bikes.

opium89 screwed with this post 07-02-2012 at 06:32 PM
opium89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 06:35 PM   #66555
BergDonk
Beastly Adventurer

And with out proper steel and manufacturing its not unknown for them to lose their tension, so rate and length can change after time, and qc can mean the rate is not as advertised either. Lots of dodgy springs out there, so buying brand name like Eibach gives confidence.