Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-01-2012, 05:46 PM   #66541
opium89
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilots View Post
Hey guys,

I have an obscenely simple question to ask: I was wondering if anyone has an online source/link to turn signal bulbs?

My bike didn't come with a manual (I signed up for the yahoo group hoping to download one, but they haven't approved my membership yet) I've literally spent the last 4 hours googling to find the right bulb. I *think* I have stock signal assemblies, I just got the bike a week or two ago and a bulb is out. I believe I need a BA15S 12v 3.4W 1156 bulb. The one in there is stamped "stanley 12v 3.4w" anyway. No matter how many ways I rearrange that info in google I can't seem to find a source for them online. Due to the hours I work most local motorcycle shops are closed when I'm not working, otherwise I'd just walk in one and ask if they have em.

Thanks for the help, sorry my first post has to be such a stupid question, I'm not all that good at electrical stuff. Oh yeah, I'm in the states if that changes anything.
Fiche says 12v,. 21w

http://www.bikebandit.com/2000-suzuk...5882#sch235126
Old 07-01-2012, 05:59 PM   #66542
Mercenary
Mindless Savage

Oddometer: 971
Quote:
Hey guys,

I have an obscenely simple question to ask: I was wondering if anyone has an online source/link to turn signal bulbs?
Ummm...did you pop the lense off the other side to see what's in there?

The others are right. Bring your old bulb with you down to an auto parts store. They'll set you up.
Old 07-01-2012, 06:35 PM   #66543
SteelJM1
Undercover KTM rider

Oddometer: 1,638
Ok, heres my plan:

14/46 for offroading, 16/46 for if i'm planning on riding on the road for a while. The 14/46 is more or less the second lowest ratio ive seen offered for the dr, and the 16/46 gets it back to just about stock gearing.

Question: would a 112 link chain be long enough for the 16, and conversely, too long for the 14?
SteelJM1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 07:14 PM   #66544
victor441
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 871
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr DR650 (2011) View Post
Hi to all,

I'm wanting to wire a switch into my headlight and was doing to do a simple rocker switch into the earth of the headlight. However, with a bit of reading, apparently this can cause issues when switching on and off etc (positive likes to try and find another earth??).

Anyway, if the above isn't a good way, I was thinking of doing it this way: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=506789

Okay, so I'm no electrical genius but like to challenge myself. I understand the diodes and all but need a bit more help with the "pole number" so I know exactly what wires I'm soldering to which terminals , as authors explanation doesn't refer to the numbers on the relay (I said I was know electrical wizzard ). And no, I don't really understand the wiring diagram.

Feedback and advise please.
I did it the way shown in your link (a relay plus two diodes, < $10) on my Ducati and it works great, a very clever low cost solution, plan to do the same on my DR650. I posted some additional info on how to wire the relay and diodes that might be helpful at http://www.ducatimonsterforum.org/in...?topic=32045.0

victor441 screwed with this post 07-01-2012 at 07:21 PM
victor441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 07:15 PM   #66545
Minsk99
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddieb View Post
What are peoples opinions on the Pro Moto Billet rack?

Has anyone fitted the Pro Moto Billet rack with the new design Wolfman pannier racks? If so do they play nicely together and are there any gotcha's or things to look out for when trying to fit this combination?
I just ordered the PMBR and am expecting it the beginning of this week. I had the same question as you did as I'm going to eventually get the Wolfman pannier racks. On the Wolfman website there is a DR650 specific page that lists adapters for specific accessory combinations. In that section there is an adapter kit that they sell to "mate" the PMBR and Wolfman racks together. The kit is $14.99 on the site. Follow link below for details:

HTML Code:
http://www.wolfmanluggage.com/Racks/DR650/rack_DR_650.html
Minsk99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 09:55 PM   #66546
Fire Escape
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,541
Wicked More Widely Available .....

Quote:
Hey guys,

My bike didn't come with a manual (I signed up for the yahoo group hoping to download one, but they haven't approved my membership yet) I've literally spent the last 4 hours googling to find the right bulb. I *think* I have stock signal assemblies, I just got the bike a week or two ago and a bulb is out. I believe I need a BA15S 12v 3.4W 1156 bulb. The one in there is stamped "stanley 12v 3.4w" anyway. No matter how many ways I rearrange that info in google I can't seem to find a source for them online. Due to the hours I work most local motorcycle shops are closed when I'm not working, otherwise I'd just walk in one and ask if they have em.

Thanks for the help, sorry my first post has to be such a stupid question, I'm not all that good at electrical stuff. Oh yeah, I'm in the states if that changes anything.

That bulb is hardly motorcycle specific, you should be able to find one in any Wal-Mart, K-Mart type of store and probably at most gas stations, The dielectric grease that you should put on the contacts when you install it will be a little harder to find. Our 'real' auto-part stores do keep 'bankers hours' here but then there are the Pep Boys, Auto Zone, VIP, etc. places that are open late and on weekends. Until the advent of the new fangled 3157 type bulbs (plastic base and 'wire' contacts) the 1156 was probably the most widely used directional light bulb since cars and trucks changed to that modern 12v stuff.

Bruce
06 DR 650, Moose RS Holder, Handguards and Skidplate, ProTaper bars, Garmin 60CSx, Motech racks w/ 20mm Ammo cans, Renazco, TKCs summer/17" SM wheels winter 08 Scrambler, Conti Trail Attacks and BlackTiger Fork mod, 05 FSE 450, 03 KLR 250, 02 FXDX, 72 WR 250 (again), 72 SL 350 K2 (again), 72 TR6R, 06 XT 225
Fire Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 11:04 PM   #66547
Thumper Dan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by victor441 View Post
I did it the way shown in your link (a relay plus two diodes, < $10) on my Ducati and it works great, a very clever low cost solution, plan to do the same on my DR650. I posted some additional info on how to wire the relay and diodes that might be helpful at http://www.ducatimonsterforum.org/in...?topic=32045.0
thanks victor...........thanks for your efforts.
Mods: Manrack, ebay 48 litre top box, grind header pipe; B&B bash plate; bigger/better tool compartment (pvc pipe) - Screens For Bikes Windscreen, TM40 Pumper Carb, Safari Tank, Seat Concepts, Oxford Heater Grips, Highway Pegs, Wolfman Expidition bags and racks, HDB handguards, Cogent Mojave rear shock, intiminators, GSX muffler/mod
Thumper Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 03:19 AM   #66548
Tech23
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 468
Suzuki Ultimate Folding mirrors with 225-325mm adjustable stem

Any one have these on their DR or have any experience with them? My bike is in SM trim so I don't go off road or necessarily need a mirror that can fold out of harms way, but I like the adjustable stem feature...length and the ability to move them up or down. I'm getting tired of looking at my shoulders. Ive considered the Kouba 2" mirror extenders for the stock mirrors, but they go higher as they go wider.

http://www.carlscycle.com/eshopprod_...Extenders.htm#

http://www.moto-science.com/product/...e-stems-pair-2

I'm wondering if they give a steady image at highway speed or if they vibrate a lot. I can't tell if the elbow is metal or plastic either. Since there is no ball joint I suppose they don't fold back in the wind.

Tech23

2000 Harley Davidson FXDWG
2011 Victory Cross Country
Tech23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 04:08 AM   #66549
bull600
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 348
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech23 View Post
Any one have these on their DR or have any experience with them? My bike is in SM trim so I don't go off road or necessarily need a mirror that can fold out of harms way, but I like the adjustable stem feature...length and the ability to move them up or down. I'm getting tired of looking at my shoulders. Ive considered the Kouba 2" mirror extenders for the stock mirrors, but they go higher as they go wider.

http://www.carlscycle.com/eshopprod_...Extenders.htm#

http://www.moto-science.com/product/...e-stems-pair-2

I'm wondering if they give a steady image at highway speed or if they vibrate a lot. I can't tell if the elbow is metal or plastic either. Since there is no ball joint I suppose they don't fold back in the wind.

Tech23

With the standard mirrors I have tried the cylindrical aluminium type extenders (not from Kouba but similar) but had one snap off at the thread after constant vibration.

Went to a set of these (photo taken from ebay):

from here

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10mm-CNC-Mot...2a3d88&vxp=mtr

and they have been really good for 20,000+ km

Cheers
bull600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 07:52 AM   #66550
DesertQben
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
TM40 pumper and Phoenix, AZ Emissions Test

Has anyone ever gone through and PASSED, Maricopa County emissions on with TM 40 pumper equip DR650? Been working in Afghanistan the last year and a half and have a TM40 from Procycle waiting to be put on my DR but I also need to register and go through emissions testing, before I'm off to Colombia on my DR. Any suggestions??
DesertQben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 08:01 AM   #66551
DesertQben
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
DR650 passenger pegs

The ball and spring arrangement on my passenger pegs are all mucked up, Has anyone used cheap after-market pegs or another Suzuki model passenger peg? You guys know what will work as cheap alternative?
DesertQben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 08:09 AM   #66552
neo1piv014
ADV in training

Oddometer: 619
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertQben View Post
The ball and spring arrangement on my passenger pegs are all mucked up, Has anyone used cheap after-market pegs or another Suzuki model passenger peg? You guys know what will work as cheap alternative?
My DR650 wasn't sold to me with the passenger pegs, so I had to scrounge. I wound up buying a set from a DRZ400 off Craigslist for around $50. They had never been used, and it seems like anyone who buys a DRZ isn't doing so to haul a passenger. The top bolt mounts right up, but the second hole on the peg doesn't quite reach. I was going to put together some kind of bracket, but because of the way the mount is oriented, the top bolt actually carries all the weight. As such, I just used a couple heavy duty zip ties on the bottom holes to keep it from swinging around. I was able to stand my fat ass on the passenger pegs with my friend holding the bike steady, and they didn't budge.
"The impossible often has a kind of integrity which the merely improbable lacks."
neo1piv014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 11:55 AM   #66553
Motodeficient
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 448
Does anyone make a DIY seat kit for the DR650 that raises the seat height a little, maybe an inch in the middle of the seat? Was looking at the Seat Concepts and Procycle Saddleman kits. But a review I read said that the Procycle kit actually lower seat height a little.
Motodeficient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 12:44 PM   #66554
neo1piv014
ADV in training

Oddometer: 619
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motodeficient View Post
Does anyone make a DIY seat kit for the DR650 that raises the seat height a little, maybe an inch in the middle of the seat? Was looking at the Seat Concepts and Procycle Saddleman kits. But a review I read said that the Procycle kit actually lower seat height a little.
It seems like adding foam would be much simpler than trying to subtract it. If you're willing to put it all together yourself anyways, you could probably just source some firm foam from an upholstery shop. One of my riding buddies took his bike to a regular old upholstery shop, and they fabbed him up some seat foam that's as comfortable or more so than my Corbin, and they did it for about 1/4 the price.
"The impossible often has a kind of integrity which the merely improbable lacks."
neo1piv014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 12:49 PM   #66555
artemedes
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
New DR owner & Manracks outback wide photos

Bought my DR650 in March and it is clearly a keeper. I have already added a TM40 carb and the seat with the seat concepts kit. The bike was pretty darn good when I picked it up, now it is great! I still have some work to make it ready for longer trips. I bought it is a do-it-all go anywhere bike assuming I will stick to dirt and gravel roads and not do much challenging "off-road".

There are plenty of pics of DR650s here, but I didn't see any with a Manracks outback wide rack. I was having trouble finding a rack I liked. Most were either too small or too big, or just too expensive. I was hesitant to buy this one, because their website only had a single photo and it wasn't even on the bike. Took a gamble and ordered and It is just what I was looking for. There is a hole to install the turn signals if you take off the grab handles but I just left the handles on for now. Just installed mine this morning and thought I would share. I would embed them here but haven't had time to downsize them. Here is a link to the album:

http://s92.photobucket.com/albums/l1...0DR650%20rack/

Next install will be the skidplate. I bought the procycle 4mm one, and had line-x coat it. I just wanted the inside coated, but they did the whole darn thing. Luckily I kinda like it and the black goes well with the gray color of the 2012s.
artemedes is offline   Reply With Quote