Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-04-2012, 11:13 PM   #66706
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,763
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjcarving View Post
Seems like it dry fit either way. Didn't want to button it up without knowing. Just went over to a friends to tear down another DR. Looks like the face in the photo shown with the slit goes up. So, I installed it that way. Hopefully that is correct! Anyone feel free to chime in. Thanks!
Having another bike to compare with is pretty cool.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 04:18 AM   #66707
ghostdncr
Burnin' daylight...

Oddometer: 1,122
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrophyHunter View Post
ghostdncr - nicely sorted bike. Looks ready for some ADV work.
Thanks! I've only had one good outing on it so far, but lots of shorter local rides and the daily commute have left me kinda amazed with the bike's capabilities. Here's the link to my RR that includes the all day ride we did several weeks ago: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=799767

I thought the DR just had a lot of inherent vibration, but switching from the D606s to the Shinko 244s seems to have eliminated about 3/4 of the discomfort.

From this:

To this:

I'm sure there will be a noticeable difference in off-road performance, but at the moment it's seeing about 80-90% highway use.
ghostdncr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 06:51 AM   #66708
TrophyHunter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,839
You might be surprised at the hook up those tires provide. I had the K270's - same tread pattern - on my DR from the PO and really liked 'em. I put T63's and now 606's on which work well off road but as you mentioned, vibey on tar. Nice RR.

"It's a small amount of gas, but it represents a long walk" My Dad...
TrophyHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 07:05 AM   #66709
Jon_PDX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,082
WOW......

Thanks for all the feedback on the side stand and clutch switches

I have also printed out the detailed instructions for removing/bypassing everything in case I decide to go that far.

Snowy,

Very cool connectors you posted. I can think of a lot of uses for those.

Thanks everyone

Jon...
Old 07-05-2012, 07:39 AM   #66710
EndofGoogle
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Is it safe to pivot a DR650 around on it's sidestand? I live in a apartment with a tiny courtyard and turning the bike around usually entails a ton of k-turns and bumping into the landscape plantings. I used to do it with my old CB650 all the time to no ill effect, is the DR sidestand beefy enough to do this on a regular basis?
EndofGoogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 09:29 AM   #66711
poppawheelie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostdncr View Post
Thanks! I've only had one good outing on it so far, but lots of shorter local rides and the daily commute have left me kinda amazed with the bike's capabilities. Here's the link to my RR that includes the all day ride we did several weeks ago: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=799767

I thought the DR just had a lot of inherent vibration, but switching from the D606s to the Shinko 244s seems to have eliminated about 3/4 of the discomfort.

I'm sure there will be a noticeable difference in off-road performance, but at the moment it's seeing about 80-90% highway use.
The 606 is far superior in mud, but howls like a banshie on pavenment. Since you're primarily on pavement, you made the right choice. Rocks, hardpack dirt = OK, but be careful on mud.

"It's not the destination. It's the journey." Me
poppawheelie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 09:40 AM   #66712
ghostdncr
Burnin' daylight...

Oddometer: 1,122
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndofGoogle View Post
Is it safe to pivot a DR650 around on it's sidestand? I live in a apartment with a tiny courtyard and turning the bike around usually entails a ton of k-turns and bumping into the landscape plantings. I used to do it with my old CB650 all the time to no ill effect, is the DR sidestand beefy enough to do this on a regular basis?
Mine's a 2007 and I wouldn't do it. Oddly enough, I experimented with this just yesterday and didn't like all the flex I saw at the kickstand's top end. I live in an apartment too, but have always backed into the parking spaces. I guess the courtyard arrangement nixes that as an option, huh?
ghostdncr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 10:24 AM   #66713
neo1piv014
ADV in training

Oddometer: 618
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowy View Post
What he said. Did one of mine a few weeks back. Had me stumped where the oil was coming from. It leaks from the tensioner at speed and it winds up everywhere but behind the tensioner.
I'm pretty sure that's where mine's coming from too. I really need to order that gasket....it's leaking enough to where I saw the oil starting to smoke on the right engine case. Not really looking forward to this one.
"The impossible often has a kind of integrity which the merely improbable lacks."
neo1piv014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 10:32 AM   #66714
Motodeficient
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 447
You really don't need to order a new gasket. Especially when that gasket is prone to failing anyway. Why replace a failure-prone part with the same failure-prone part?

I used permatex Ultra-grey and have had no problems whatsoever, and don't expect to ever again!

Plus with the permatex, it will fill any of the little nicks in the aluminum you may get when you try to remove that stock gasket which is REALLY tough to get off.
Motodeficient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 10:50 AM   #66715
PHILinFRANCE
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,062
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostdncr View Post
Mine's a 2007 and I wouldn't do it. Oddly enough, I experimented with this just yesterday and didn't like all the flex I saw at the kickstand's top end. I live in an apartment too, but have always backed into the parking spaces. I guess the courtyard arrangement nixes that as an option, huh?

I've got loads of room to turn around !!! but i'm just a lazy bastard i often swing the DR round on the stand but being a short arse the front wheel always stays on the ground and works well on full lock , and i don't think the the stands taking all the weight !!
Phil
Old 07-05-2012, 10:50 AM   #66716
MeterPig
Meh

Oddometer: 17,095
To add to the fun, I started running it in all my vehicles including lawnmower. For even more fun, I ran my car (highway only) 8,000 miles on a single change. Other than burning through a few courts-which it does with any oil, it didn't blow up.

Yet.

++
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerocycle View Post
Dare I add on to the oil segment...

Okay; +1 on diesel rotella.

I use the Synthetic, Rotella T6, 15w-40, (15 allows for improved oil flow in cold starts)
+diesel oil has more "detergents"

+this specific oil has the rating of JASO-MA, for us that means zero friction modifiers added!

+A large jug cost me $27 once, that's not the greatest deal, but I needed it. Be aware it's NOT a 5qt jug, it's 4qt (1gal)

+Synthetic, this aircooled machine loves it warm, and does well there, why not give it added protection?
The oil temp may be one temp. but the oil is exposed to protect and lubricate hotter parts... Synthetic resists thermal breakdown, thus the reason why it is the ONLY oil used in turbine engines....

+For added protection I add a product called Power Punch. Since the oil is not only serving the engine, but also the transmission it is important to protect the gears. This product is proven to increase the film strength of any oil without changing its viscosity. This means immediate protection to the piston/piston rings upon startup, (think of smilin jacks instance) and greater protection of the gear teeth. Enough said. You want more info on it go here: http://www.powerpunch.biz/Power_Punch_Oil.html

So far I have had zero issues, the only way to truely test any product is to see it's long term effects. Listen closely to the guys on here that have dr650's with high mileage, they're doing something right.
Old 07-05-2012, 10:54 AM   #66717
Motodeficient
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 447
So they make T6 in 15W40? I assume thats a mis-type? Because 15w40 would actually have LESS oil flow in cold starts than 5W40, unless I am totally going crazy here. But then again you did type "15" twice so maybe I am going crazy!

I only went to two places but the breakdown looked like this in both places so I assumed they were the only options:

Rotella T: 15w40
Rotella T5: 10w40
Rotella T6: 5w40

I have been running 15w40 Rotella T but wanted to switch to synthetic. When I saw T5 and T6 didn't come in 15w40, I debated it for a while in my head and ended up getting T6 5w40 anyway. But I haven't put it in yet.

Also, the back of the jug for the T5 and T6 mentioned "energy savings", which I have always read to steer clear of in motorcycles. The regular Rotella T does not mention this on the back of the jug.

Motodeficient screwed with this post 07-05-2012 at 11:42 AM
Motodeficient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 10:54 AM   #66718
MeterPig
Meh

Oddometer: 17,095
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
The crack pipe for dr650 owners.
Old 07-05-2012, 11:06 AM   #66719
SteelJM1
Undercover KTM rider

Oddometer: 1,431
Mud is slippery. But fun.

SteelJM1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 11:28 AM   #66720
Northyork
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 271
Chain and sprockets replacement

How often should one replace chain and sprockets? What is a reasonable amount of kms before replacement?
Northyork is offline   Reply With Quote