Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-2012, 01:13 PM   #66706
ghostdncr
Burnin' daylight...

Oddometer: 1,122
Quote:
Originally Posted by ER70S-2 View Post
Also pull back like the pic, you don't want this much slack at the back of the sprocket. (NOT mine)
Holy crap! Look at the condition of those bumps that used to be teeth!
ghostdncr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 01:15 PM   #66707
Ride-til-sore!
still 20 in-my-mind

Oddometer: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motodeficient View Post
You really don't need to order a new gasket. Especially when that gasket is prone to failing anyway. Why replace a failure-prone part with the same failure-prone part?

I used permatex Ultra-grey and have had no problems whatsoever, and don't expect to ever again!

Plus with the permatex, it will fill any of the little nicks in the aluminum you may get when you try to remove that stock gasket which is REALLY tough to get off.
I did this on both the bottom head and chain tensioner gaskets and that was about 800 miles ago with no leaks yet! I did the baby powder trick to find out where exactly it was leaking and then cleaned and sealed it up. The Ultra-grey hides on the motor nice as well.
Ride-til-sore! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 01:19 PM   #66708
procycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,215
Quote:
I was under the impression that when a DR chain goes, it goes pretty fast. Knowing this, I just kept an eye on the adjustment, it rarely needed one. After a 200 mile day, the chain needed to be adjusted, quite a bit; so I did. Next ride was another 200(ish) miles and the chain needed another 'quite a bit' adjustment.
Yep. This is how chains typically go. Once a chain wears enough that it no longer fits the sprockets properly the wear accelerates. The more worn it is the faster it continues to wear out.

The reason this happens is when the chain is new it wraps snugly around the sprocket spreading the load over half the sprocket teeth. As a chain wears internally the rollers become farther apart. This is referred to as chain 'stretch' but it doesn't actually stretch - the pins and bushings get slop which makes the chain longer by the accumulated wear in each link. When the chain is worn it's only snug on a few teeth at the top of the sprocket. These few teeth and the few chain rollers take all the load instead of sharing it over a bunch of teeth/rollers. A severely work chain might only transfer the load through one or two teeth/rollers. The overloaded teeth and chain rollers wear faster and faster.
TurboDiesel Corvette - go to the end to start at the beginning
procycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 01:23 PM   #66709
catzor
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Hello folks. I am on a quest for the perfect bike (aren't we all?). I recently bought an '02 fz1 (after owning a cb175, ex500, vt500c, and a cb250) and we just aren't jiving like I would have hoped. I mean, don't get me wrong, it has WAY more power than I could ever need, runs like silk, handles like a sport bike, and is comfy enough to ride for hours. Here's the problem: I don't usually ride for hours, don't need the power, and don't try to lick the pavement in the corners, so all of that is basically useless to me. I've been wanting a DR for a long time because I love the long gait of single and the minimalism/versatility/blank cavas-vibe of a DS bike. The DR in particular seems well-balanced. In other words, to me, the FZ is way more bike for the money, but it doesn't pull on my heart strings in any particular way.

Anywho, my question is this: Has anyone went from a bike such as the FZ, that does literally EVERYTHING on the street, very very well, if boringly, to a bike like the DR, which is significantly less accommodating, but adds lots of mechanical character and dirt-worthiness to the equation? What were your thoughts that led you to make the change? How did it work out?

Also, if anyone in the Winston-Salem area would be willing to go for a short ride and swap bikes, I would low the opportunity. PM me!

Thanks!
catzor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 01:29 PM   #66710
TinkerinWstuff
Take it apart

Oddometer: 1,292
Quote:
Originally Posted by catzor View Post
Hello folks. I am on a quest for the perfect bike (aren't we all?). I recently bought an '02 fz1 (after owning a cb175, ex500, vt500c, and a cb250) and we just aren't jiving like I would have hoped. I mean, don't get me wrong, it has WAY more power than I could ever need, runs like silk, handles like a sport bike, and is comfy enough to ride for hours. Here's the problem: I don't usually ride for hours, don't need the power, and don't try to lick the pavement in the corners, so all of that is basically useless to me. I've been wanting a DR for a long time because I love the long gait of single and the minimalism/versatility/blank cavas-vibe of a DS bike. The DR in particular seems well-balanced. In other words, to me, the FZ is way more bike for the money, but it doesn't pull on my heart strings in any particular way.

Anywho, my question is this: Has anyone went from a bike such as the FZ, that does literally EVERYTHING on the street, very very well, if boringly, to a bike like the DR, which is significantly less accommodating, but adds lots of mechanical character and dirt-worthiness to the equation? What were your thoughts that led you to make the change? How did it work out?

Also, if anyone in the Winston-Salem area would be willing to go for a short ride and swap bikes, I would low the opportunity. PM me!

Thanks!
It's just one more bike in a long list you've already owned and a list which will probably get longer before you hang up your boots. Just go for it man.
TinkerinWstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 01:30 PM   #66711
Northyork
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 271
Thanks for your reply ER70S-2
I have close to 17000km on my original chain. Same thing as what you described. I have had to adjust it a couple of times in the last few weeks.

I have ordered a set of sprockets and chain. (JT sprockets 15T and 43T, chain EX SEALED QUADRA X-RING)

I was just wondering what people experience with the chain has been like.

MIne is not even close to that of the one on the pic you posted

Quote:
I was under the impression that when a DR chain goes, it goes pretty fast. Knowing this, I just kept an eye on the adjustment, it rarely needed one. After a 200 mile day, the chain needed to be adjusted, quite a bit; so I did. Next ride was another 200(ish) miles and the chain needed another 'quite a bit' adjustment. Ordered and installed a new chain. So, in my case, the chain 'bought it' in 400 miles. I got 22,000 miles on the original chain, lubing after every ride (125-200 miles).

My bike leads an easy life, mostly pavement , and easy dirt roads.
Good to see your still here.

Also pull back like the pic, you don't want this much slack at the back of the sprocket. (NOT mine)

Northyork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 01:51 PM   #66712
neo1piv014
ADV in training

Oddometer: 619
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostdncr View Post
Thanks! I've only had one good outing on it so far, but lots of shorter local rides and the daily commute have left me kinda amazed with the bike's capabilities. Here's the link to my RR that includes the all day ride we did several weeks ago: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=799767

I thought the DR just had a lot of inherent vibration, but switching from the D606s to the Shinko 244s seems to have eliminated about 3/4 of the discomfort.

I'm sure there will be a noticeable difference in off-road performance, but at the moment it's seeing about 80-90% highway use.
I'm pretty stoked now. The PO put 606's on mine too, and I've definitely noticed the vibration when cruising down the slab. I'm swapping out for Shinko 705's in the next couple paychecks, and I'm already looking forward to it riding smoother.
"The impossible often has a kind of integrity which the merely improbable lacks."
neo1piv014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 01:55 PM   #66713
MeterPig
Meh

Oddometer: 17,090
The question in your mind you don't want to answer is "do I still need to double the speed limit by 2 or 3 with just a flick of the wrist and no pre-planning"? If you answer no-then get the DR650. If yes, stick with the FZ1.

Quote:

Thanks!
Old 07-05-2012, 02:12 PM   #66714
neo1piv014
ADV in training

Quote:

Thanks!
I'll give you my thoughts from the other side of the Dual Sport train of thought:
I sold my 2009 Ninja 650r to buy my DR 650, and I still find myself missing that Ninja almost every day. It all comes down to how much you use your bike and what you use it for. Personally, I was in love with the idea of being able to go off road whenever I wanted, having an upright riding position, and having a bike that was easy to work on. When I first got the DR, I did a lot of dirt roads, got in over my head, injured myself more than once (that ankle is still killing me), and now I'm almost skittish on even the most hard packed of roads. For comfort, it is definitely more upright, and the wide bars are great, but the Corbin seat the PO put on it isn't a ton more comfortable than the stock Ninja 650 seat, and my old bike wasn't a full lean sport bike anyways. The vibrations are noticeable, though not unbearable. The DR is significantly easier to work on, if only because there's no body work to move around when you're trying to do something as simple as an oil change.
Ultimately though, it comes down to use. More than 90% of the time I ride, I'm going to work. This means a lot of interstate miles and one or two twisty roads. If I try really hard, I can work a dirt side road into the mix, but it's definitely out of the way. This means that I'm either going to have to get street oriented tires on the DR - which aren't going to be worth much off road - or continue to burn up nice off road rubber every day just for those few miles a week I get to spend in the desert. Personally, for what I do most of the time, I wish I had kept the street bike and just bought a DRZ400 or something similar with my next tax return to play with in the dirt.
If you have an FZ1 that works well for you, and all you really want is to try out dirt every now and then, you might be better off saving up for a bit, buying a true off road bike (or at least a smaller dual sport), and having both of them for their respective territories. Just my two cents.

All that said, the DR is still an amazing bike that won't disappoint. Just get one with the metal base gasket so you're not cleaning up an oil leak later on down the line lol.
"The impossible often has a kind of integrity which the merely improbable lacks."
Old 07-05-2012, 03:00 PM   #66715
Ride-til-sore!
still 20 in-my-mind

Oddometer: 380
Quote:

Thanks!
If your not married, keep the FZ and pick up an older used DR to give it a try!
Ride-til-sore! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 03:06 PM   #66716
MeterPig
Meh

Oddometer: 17,090
Yep, DR's are fairly cheap and hold their value. Buy one and try one for a while. If you like, sell the FZ1 or sell the DR.
Old 07-05-2012, 03:20 PM   #66717
dec181966
Dude on a motorcycle

Oddometer: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by neo1piv014 View Post
I'll give you my thoughts from the other side of the Dual Sport train of thought:
I sold my 2009 Ninja 650r to buy my DR 650, and I still find myself missing that Ninja almost every day. It all comes down to how much you use your bike and what you use it for. Personally, I was in love with the idea of being able to go off road whenever I wanted, having an upright riding position, and having a bike that was easy to work on. When I first got the DR, I did a lot of dirt roads, got in over my head, injured myself more than once (that ankle is still killing me), and now I'm almost skittish on even the most hard packed of roads. For comfort, it is definitely more upright, and the wide bars are great, but the Corbin seat the PO put on it isn't a ton more comfortable than the stock Ninja 650 seat, and my old bike wasn't a full lean sport bike anyways. The vibrations are noticeable, though not unbearable. The DR is significantly easier to work on, if only because there's no body work to move around when you're trying to do something as simple as an oil change.
Ultimately though, it comes down to use. More than 90% of the time I ride, I'm going to work. This means a lot of interstate miles and one or two twisty roads. If I try really hard, I can work a dirt side road into the mix, but it's definitely out of the way. This means that I'm either going to have to get street oriented tires on the DR - which aren't going to be worth much off road - or continue to burn up nice off road rubber every day just for those few miles a week I get to spend in the desert. Personally, for what I do most of the time, I wish I had kept the street bike and just bought a DRZ400 or something similar with my next tax return to play with in the dirt.
If you have an FZ1 that works well for you, and all you really want is to try out dirt every now and then, you might be better off saving up for a bit, buying a true off road bike (or at least a smaller dual sport), and having both of them for their respective territories. Just my two cents.

All that said, the DR is still an amazing bike that won't disappoint. Just get one with the metal base gasket so you're not cleaning up an oil leak later on down the line lol.
Funny I also sold my 2009 Ninja 650R to get my DR650. As with you I miss my Ninja almost everyday but the DR is "better suited" for my daily ride (commuting back roads) & touring rides (everywhere!! ). At this point I wanted 1 bike that could handle both dutties well and the DR does that.
By the way for the $5000 I got for the Ninja I built one hell of an adventure bike

Before

After

Old 07-05-2012, 03:27 PM   #66718
neo1piv014
ADV in training

Whew! I wish I had gotten that much for mine. She had some jacked fairings from a low side, so it was my fault. I definitely didn't mean to bash the DR if that's how I came across. She's a beast. You'll find yourself missing that smooth power on the road though. If you can afford to do both, do it.

Also, is that the Corbin seat you put on yours? I'm not sure if it's just mine...is yours basically a slightly scooped out piece of plywood?

neo1piv014 screwed with this post 07-05-2012 at 04:05 PM
Old 07-05-2012, 04:17 PM   #66719
poppawheelie
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ride-til-sore! View Post
If your not married, keep the FZ and pick up an older used DR to give it a try!
What's "married " have to do with it? My wife buys as many bikes as I do.

"It's not the destination. It's the journey." Me
poppawheelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 04:44 PM   #66720
dec181966
Dude on a motorcycle

Oddometer: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by neo1piv014 View Post
Whew! I wish I had gotten that much for mine. She had some jacked fairings from a low side, so it was my fault. I definitely didn't mean to bash the DR if that's how I came across. She's a beast. You'll find yourself missing that smooth power on the road though. If you can afford to do both, do it.

Also, is that the Corbin seat you put on yours? I'm not sure if it's just mine...is yours basically a slightly scooped out piece of plywood?
No bashing noted here. Your assessment was very fair. I did a 100 mile loop yesterday and yes I do miss that smooth parallel twin but the DR does fine on the HWY plus if I want to make a turn for that dirt road I can!

That was the big deciding factor for me over the Ninja was that DR can go most anywhere....really anywhere and still be a decent road bike.

That is the Sergant Low seat. It is firm but good. I will throw a sheep skin over it and all will be good.