Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-2012, 02:06 PM   #66706
MeterPig
Meh

Oddometer: 17,579
Yep, DR's are fairly cheap and hold their value. Buy one and try one for a while. If you like, sell the FZ1 or sell the DR.
Old 07-05-2012, 02:20 PM   #66707
dec181966
Dude on a motorcycle

Oddometer: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by neo1piv014 View Post
I'll give you my thoughts from the other side of the Dual Sport train of thought:
I sold my 2009 Ninja 650r to buy my DR 650, and I still find myself missing that Ninja almost every day. It all comes down to how much you use your bike and what you use it for. Personally, I was in love with the idea of being able to go off road whenever I wanted, having an upright riding position, and having a bike that was easy to work on. When I first got the DR, I did a lot of dirt roads, got in over my head, injured myself more than once (that ankle is still killing me), and now I'm almost skittish on even the most hard packed of roads. For comfort, it is definitely more upright, and the wide bars are great, but the Corbin seat the PO put on it isn't a ton more comfortable than the stock Ninja 650 seat, and my old bike wasn't a full lean sport bike anyways. The vibrations are noticeable, though not unbearable. The DR is significantly easier to work on, if only because there's no body work to move around when you're trying to do something as simple as an oil change.
Ultimately though, it comes down to use. More than 90% of the time I ride, I'm going to work. This means a lot of interstate miles and one or two twisty roads. If I try really hard, I can work a dirt side road into the mix, but it's definitely out of the way. This means that I'm either going to have to get street oriented tires on the DR - which aren't going to be worth much off road - or continue to burn up nice off road rubber every day just for those few miles a week I get to spend in the desert. Personally, for what I do most of the time, I wish I had kept the street bike and just bought a DRZ400 or something similar with my next tax return to play with in the dirt.
If you have an FZ1 that works well for you, and all you really want is to try out dirt every now and then, you might be better off saving up for a bit, buying a true off road bike (or at least a smaller dual sport), and having both of them for their respective territories. Just my two cents.

All that said, the DR is still an amazing bike that won't disappoint. Just get one with the metal base gasket so you're not cleaning up an oil leak later on down the line lol.
Funny I also sold my 2009 Ninja 650R to get my DR650. As with you I miss my Ninja almost everyday but the DR is "better suited" for my daily ride (commuting back roads) & touring rides (everywhere!! ). At this point I wanted 1 bike that could handle both dutties well and the DR does that.
By the way for the $5000 I got for the Ninja I built one hell of an adventure bike

Before

After

Old 07-05-2012, 02:27 PM   #66708
neo1piv014
ADV in training

Oddometer: 627
Whew! I wish I had gotten that much for mine. She had some jacked fairings from a low side, so it was my fault. I definitely didn't mean to bash the DR if that's how I came across. She's a beast. You'll find yourself missing that smooth power on the road though. If you can afford to do both, do it.

Also, is that the Corbin seat you put on yours? I'm not sure if it's just mine...is yours basically a slightly scooped out piece of plywood?
"The impossible often has a kind of integrity which the merely improbable lacks."

neo1piv014 screwed with this post 07-05-2012 at 03:05 PM
neo1piv014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 03:17 PM   #66709
poppawheelie
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 594
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ride-til-sore! View Post
If your not married, keep the FZ and pick up an older used DR to give it a try!
What's "married " have to do with it? My wife buys as many bikes as I do.

"It's not the destination. It's the journey." Me
poppawheelie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 03:44 PM   #66710
dec181966
Dude on a motorcycle

Quote:
Whew! I wish I had gotten that much for mine. She had some jacked fairings from a low side, so it was my fault. I definitely didn't mean to bash the DR if that's how I came across. She's a beast. You'll find yourself missing that smooth power on the road though. If you can afford to do both, do it.

Also, is that the Corbin seat you put on yours? I'm not sure if it's just mine...is yours basically a slightly scooped out piece of plywood?
No bashing noted here. Your assessment was very fair. I did a 100 mile loop yesterday and yes I do miss that smooth parallel twin but the DR does fine on the HWY plus if I want to make a turn for that dirt road I can!

That was the big deciding factor for me over the Ninja was that DR can go most anywhere....really anywhere and still be a decent road bike.

That is the Sergant Low seat. It is firm but good. I will throw a sheep skin over it and all will be good.
Old 07-05-2012, 03:46 PM   #66711
dec181966
Dude on a motorcycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppawheelie View Post
What's "married " have to do with it? My wife buys as many bikes as I do.
No kidding, my wife has had 4 bike in the last 2 years!

Damn I need to go buy another bike!!!
Old 07-05-2012, 04:08 PM   #66712
victor441
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowy View Post
I just took the 2 wires that went to the connector on each, and cut the connector off and then used a Skotchlok communications Gel filled connector to join them together.

That way it's water tight and sorted for good.

I don't know if you guys use them in the US, I'd assume you would. Should be available at electronics stores. I do comms work so I had a toolbox with dozens floating around in it.
These are crimped on using a fancy set of parallel crimps, but pliers will suffice.

FWIW very common in US telecom work, should be easy to find
victor441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 04:33 PM   #66713
doug s.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,354
Quote:
Originally Posted by catzor View Post
Hello folks. I am on a quest for the perfect bike (aren't we all?). I recently bought an '02 fz1 (after owning a cb175, ex500, vt500c, and a cb250) and we just aren't jiving like I would have hoped. I mean, don't get me wrong, it has WAY more power than I could ever need, runs like silk, handles like a sport bike, and is comfy enough to ride for hours. Here's the problem: I don't usually ride for hours, don't need the power, and don't try to lick the pavement in the corners, so all of that is basically useless to me. I've been wanting a DR for a long time because I love the long gait of single and the minimalism/versatility/blank cavas-vibe of a DS bike. The DR in particular seems well-balanced. In other words, to me, the FZ is way more bike for the money, but it doesn't pull on my heart strings in any particular way.

Anywho, my question is this: Has anyone went from a bike such as the FZ, that does literally EVERYTHING on the street, very very well, if boringly, to a bike like the DR, which is significantly less accommodating, but adds lots of mechanical character and dirt-worthiness to the equation? What were your thoughts that led you to make the change? How did it work out?

Also, if anyone in the Winston-Salem area would be willing to go for a short ride and swap bikes, I would low the opportunity. PM me!

Thanks!
i am not sure i am the one to help you here. i am not really fond of typical japanese 4 cylinder sport bikes. simply not enough soul in them for me. as you mention "boringly" in reference to the fz1, maybe that's what you are missing?

i love my dr650; i have set it up as a motard for street riding, as i am not all that big on trail riding. hardpacked dirt and gravel roads are fine, but they are also find on most all street bikes, imo. the dr has tons of personality, and i love its relative lightness and excellent handling. i got it cuz i wanted a motard, and buying it used, and setting it up the way i want - basically full-tilt - was still relatively cheap, compared to something like a ktm, husky, or aprilia; and dead reliable and cheap to run. not as focused as those others, but basically as an old fart, i think the more high-strung performance of the others would, frankly, be wasted on me anyway.

but, perhaps another bike other than a typical japanese 4 cylinder bike would get you what you want besides a dr650? (of course, if you really wanna do dirt, then i think the dr650 is the perfect bike if you can only have one.) i also have other bikes - a '95 buell s2, w/engine upgraded to the latest specs for the air-cooled buells; and a '78 ducati darmah. i love all the bikes; they're all different, and they all have soul. for highway riding, commuting, and back road blasting, i could take any one of them and have a great time. (and i do!) if i were going on a long cross-country trip, i would be more prone to take the buell. the dr would be adequate, tho - it is fine at 80mph w/stock gearing. i would likely gear it taller tho, if i were gonna do any serious long distance on it. (i might do it anyway; w/its fcr39 carb, & opened intake & exhaust, it has plenty of power for the street.) the darmah would be fine on a long trip, but simply cuz of its wintage and scarcity of parts, i wouldn't do that to it. if i were to go on a more adwenture-like long trip, definitely the dr would be the first choice... if i could keep only one bike, or even only two, damn if i would know what to get rid of. even now, i would like to get another bike or three, if i had the money and the space...

before i got the dr, when the wife and i would go riding, she would take the buell. she really likes it, but now, she prefers the dr simply because it is so easy to ride, as she has rheumatism/arthritis issues... so, if there's gonna be someone else possibly riding your bike(s), that is another consideration.

doug s.
doug s. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 05:42 PM   #66714
silverwolf
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by catzor View Post
Hello folks. I am on a quest for the perfect bike (aren't we all?). I recently bought an '02 fz1 (after owning a cb175, ex500, vt500c, and a cb250) and we just aren't jiving like I would have hoped. I mean, don't get me wrong, it has WAY more power than I could ever need, runs like silk, handles like a sport bike, and is comfy enough to ride for hours. Here's the problem: I don't usually ride for hours, don't need the power, and don't try to lick the pavement in the corners, so all of that is basically useless to me. I've been wanting a DR for a long time because I love the long gait of single and the minimalism/versatility/blank cavas-vibe of a DS bike. The DR in particular seems well-balanced. In other words, to me, the FZ is way more bike for the money, but it doesn't pull on my heart strings in any particular way.

Anywho, my question is this: Has anyone went from a bike such as the FZ, that does literally EVERYTHING on the street, very very well, if boringly, to a bike like the DR, which is significantly less accommodating, but adds lots of mechanical character and dirt-worthiness to th equation? What were your thoughts that led you to make the change? How did it work out?

Also, if anyone in the Winston-Salem area would be willing to go for a short ride and swap bikes, I would low the opportunity. PM me!

Thanks!
I have been on that quest for a while also. I actually basically started with the FZ1 (after a very brief stint with a 1400 cc intruder). I then got the dual sport bug and had a KLR, V-strom, DRZ400 and now the DR650. The FZ1 is an awesome bike and it's all motor. The only thing that bugs me on the DR650 is the lack of serious road power. Yeah it will do 90 or 100 mph but its not very happy above 65 or 70 (coming from a FZ1 if you aren't used to a single it will feel strained about 50) The 650 has adequate power but it is just an entirely different animal than a street bike like the FZ. If you ride it for a while and then get back on the FZ the FZ will feel like it has a flat tire on the first turn. The low weight of the dr makes it great fun but also makes it less solid feeling on the road. If you don't want to ride dirt I don't see the point in getting a dr. If you want a bike that is square between a dirt bike and a street bike the dr is great.
silverwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 05:46 PM   #66715
MeterPig
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwolf View Post
I have been on that quest for a while also. I actually basically started with the FZ1 (after a very brief stint with a 1400 cc intruder). I then got the dual sport bug and had a KLR, V-strom, DRZ400 and now the DR650. The FZ1 is an awesome bike and it's all motor. The only thing that bugs me on the DR650 is the lack of serious road power. Yeah it will do 90 or 100 mph but its not very happy above 65 or 70 (coming from a FZ1 if you aren't used to a single it will feel strained about 50) The 650 has adequate power but it is just an entirely different animal than a street bike like the FZ. If you ride it for a while and then get back on the FZ the FZ will feel like it has a flat tire on the first turn. The low weight of the dr makes it great fun but also makes it less solid feeling on the road. If you don't want to ride dirt I don't see the point in getting a dr. If you want a bike that is square between a dirt bike and a street bike the dr is great.
The amount of air pushing back on the nose of the bricky DR is fairly high at 70mph compared to the slightly more aerodynamic fairing of a FZ1 or better yet a faired bike.
Old 07-05-2012, 06:09 PM   #66716
doug s.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,354
i have not ridden on the highway on my dr for more than a half hour, but, w/stock gearing, i was plenty comfortable at 80mph. (actual, not indicated; w/trail tech vapor speedo.) as recently posted in the pissing thread, my bike is set up w/the fcr39 carb, k&n cone filter, fmf powerbomb header, kientech hi-flow midpipe and tsukigi gsxr 1000 muffler. there is plenty of power w/this set-up, imo, to go taller than stock gearing. and, you could always opt for more power w/engine upgrades.

and certainly, w/its relatively lighter weight, it is not as stable on the highway as my buell s2 or ducati darmah, (or an fz1), but w/its motard set-up, it's pretty stable for its weight...

doug s.
doug s. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 06:32 PM   #66717
TinkerinWstuff
Take it apart

Oddometer: 1,295
if I could only have one bike as opposed to the VFR and DR that I have now - would have to be an F800GS or Tiger1050 type bike. Something stable enough on the gravel but still smooth and capable on the street. Would end up giving up some sport and some dirt for a good mix in the middle.

If I could have about 4 bikes then I don't think the DR would even be on the list.

Goldwing
VFR
F800GS
CRF450 or similar
TinkerinWstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 06:33 PM   #66718
MeterPig
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinkerinWstuff View Post

If I could have about 4 bikes then I don't think the DR would even be on the list.

Those words shall not be uttered here.
Old 07-05-2012, 06:45 PM   #66719
ghostdncr
Burnin' daylight...

Oddometer: 1,122
Quote:
I'm pretty stoked now. The PO put 606's on mine too, and I've definitely noticed the vibration when cruising down the slab. I'm swapping out for Shinko 705's in the next couple paychecks, and I'm already looking forward to it riding smoother.
I've got 705s on my 650R Ninja (replaced the Kenda Big Blocks with them) and they're an awesome tire! Smooth and sticky on the street and they do surprisingly well on gravel and dirt. Very satisfied with them so far but I wanted something just a little more dirt-oriented on my DR, so I went with the 244s.
ghostdncr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 06:56 PM   #66720
TinkerinWstuff
Take it apart

Oddometer: 1,295
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeterPig View Post
Those words shall not be uttered here.

Not that I have a problem with it. It suits it's purpose for me well as the perfect compromise between the F800 and a lighter dirt bike. Life is full of compromise right? At least that's what daddy used to say.
TinkerinWstuff is offline   Reply With Quote