ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-28-2012, 04:37 PM   #67756
TRAVELGUY
Old Traveler
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Georgetown, In / Costa Rica
Oddometer: 615
I had no problems with my install of that a few months ago. My DR ran perfect before and after the change.

TravelGuy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by acap650 View Post
My choke cable finally snapped from corrosion, seems a bit premature on a 2008 but others have had it happen. It kept getting sitffer so I knew something was up. Ordered a new oem cable but it was backordered so I got the Procycle kit, not the knob version since the IMS tank blocks easy access, but the one with the short cable. After installing it I thought what a nicely executed replacement - it looks like a factory part.





All was well until I rode the bike the next day and found that as soon as the engine started to warm it would not idle. I had to screw the idle stop a few turns and the idle mixture all the way in to max lean or it would stall. Well I've had stalling issues before so I thought maybe I'll just clean the pilot jet, I know according to the current carb best practices one should just replace it but I cleaned it anyway. But wait, a clogged pilot would cause a lean condition and this was the opposite so out came the new choke and to my surprise the plunger did not match the original.





As you can see the oem plunger and guide pin is longer, by about 3mm or 1/8 inch. This told me that when the choke was in the off position it was still partially on and may be responsible for my stalling problem. So I removed the new plunger and installed the original plunger and spring. I backed out the idle stop and set the mixture screw to 1.5 turns out and it ran nearly perfectly. After a good warmup ride I tweaked the settings and all is well again.

I'm just wondering if anyone has had issues with the choke conversion or did I just get the wrong part, maybe for a different carb? I still commend Procycle for a nicely finished part and their excellent shipping practices but maybe they should check the current batch to see if they all have the wrong plunger.
__________________
TRAVELGUY
DL1000 '05 black
DL 650 '06 Red
DR650 '07
.
TRAVELGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 05:32 PM   #67757
eRRmmm
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Mildura Vic, Aus
Oddometer: 575
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrophyHunter View Post
Seat Concepts - I have the Carbon sides, Gripper top. It's grippier than the stock seat and took a bit to get used to. I wouldn't go back.
+1

Carbon/gripper is what Seat Concepts recommended to me, and they were spot on. Great seat.
eRRmmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 06:19 PM   #67758
Thumper Dan
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: Australia, Northern NSW
Oddometer: 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by HerrMnnn View Post
+1

Carbon/gripper is what Seat Concepts recommended to me, and they were spot on. Great seat.
So to clarify; is the carbon gripper............top of seat is gripper and sides are carbon OR the other way around?
__________________
Currently riding DR650 (2011)
Mods: Manrack, ebay 48 litre top box, grind header pipe; B&B bash plate; bigger/better tool compartment (pvc pipe) - Screens For Bikes Windscreen, TM40 Pumper Carb, Safari Tank, Seat Concepts, Oxford Heater Grips, Highway Pegs, Wolfman Expidition bags and racks, HDB handguards, Cogent Mojave rear shock, intiminators, GSX muffler/mod
Thumper Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 07:19 PM   #67759
eRRmmm
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Mildura Vic, Aus
Oddometer: 575
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper Dan View Post
So to clarify; is the carbon gripper............top of seat is gripper and sides are carbon OR the other way around?
Sides carbon, top gripper.
eRRmmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 11:00 PM   #67760
P-P
Adventurer
 
P-P's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: The Wild-Wild West... Northern Nevada
Oddometer: 97
Nice catch! So what is the little bottle that is mounted on your frame for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by acap650 View Post
My choke cable finally snapped from corrosion, seems a bit premature on a 2008 but others have had it happen. It kept getting sitffer so I knew something was up. Ordered a new oem cable but it was backordered so I got the Procycle kit, not the knob version since the IMS tank blocks easy access, but the one with the short cable. After installing it I thought what a nicely executed replacement - it looks like a factory part.






__________________
Just say NO! to CaliFornication!
P-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 11:08 PM   #67761
NordieBoy
Armature speller
 
NordieBoy's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Kiwiland
Oddometer: 7,125
Looks like a home made chain oiler.
__________________
DR650 Wiki
NordieBoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 01:26 AM   #67762
Eddieb
Studly Adventurer
 
Eddieb's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: The Tron, New Zealand
Oddometer: 938
Quote:
Originally Posted by acap650 View Post


As you can see the oem plunger and guide pin is longer, by about 3mm or 1/8 inch. This told me that when the choke was in the off position it was still partially on and may be responsible for my stalling problem. So I removed the new plunger and installed the original plunger and spring. I backed out the idle stop and set the mixture screw to 1.5 turns out and it ran nearly perfectly. After a good warmup ride I tweaked the settings and all is well again.

I'm just wondering if anyone has had issues with the choke conversion or did I just get the wrong part, maybe for a different carb? I still commend Procycle for a nicely finished part and their excellent shipping practices but maybe they should check the current batch to see if they all have the wrong plunger.
Very interesting

I've just installed the same Procycle choke cable setup on my FCR when I installed the FCR 2 weeks ago. While the bike runs sweet throughout the rev range I can't get it to idle at all. I've tried all sorts of combinations of Idle mixture and speed settings to no avail.

I'd been thinking maybe I set something in the carb up wrong as I installed the needle/jets etc myself but maybe it's my cable.
__________________
05 DR650 - 86 BMW R80 with Velorex Chair - '67 Ducati 250 Mark 3 Narrow Case - 94 Beta Techno 250

www.AdventureRidingNZ.co.nz Free GPS tracks for New Zealand & more
www.FlyingtheChair.co.nz - NZ sidecar forums
Eddieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 01:48 AM   #67763
Rainier_runner
Epic Adventurer
 
Rainier_runner's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: Yelm, Washington
Oddometer: 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddieb View Post
Very interesting

I've just installed the same Procycle choke cable setup on my FCR when I installed the FCR 2 weeks ago. While the bike runs sweet throughout the rev range I can't get it to idle at all. I've tried all sorts of combinations of Idle mixture and speed settings to no avail.

I'd been thinking maybe I set something in the carb up wrong as I installed the needle/jets etc myself but maybe it's my cable.
I hate to ask an ignorant question, but as I look on the Procycle site, Isn't that particular mod only available for the stock or TM 40 carb?

Remote Choke Cable Kit

DR650SE '96-'12




Choose Type:


$32.95


Hate the handlebar mounted choke lever? Can't reach the choke knob? Does your Safari or IMS tank make using the choke difficult?
We now have a cable operated choke knob that mounts to the left side engine case. You can choose a remote choke for either the stock BST carburetor or for the Mikuni TM40.
__________________
2014 KTM 1190 Adventure R
2006 Suzuki DR 650 ADV
Rainier_runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 02:11 AM   #67764
Eddieb
Studly Adventurer
 
Eddieb's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: The Tron, New Zealand
Oddometer: 938
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainier_runner View Post
I hate to ask an ignorant question, but as I look on the Procycle site, Isn't that particular mod only available for the stock or TM 40 carb?
To be honest I don't recall which carb I bought it for and what was available at the time as I've had it for quite a while. When I fitted it however it looked like the stock cable had a different sized thread than what the FCR would accept
__________________
05 DR650 - 86 BMW R80 with Velorex Chair - '67 Ducati 250 Mark 3 Narrow Case - 94 Beta Techno 250

www.AdventureRidingNZ.co.nz Free GPS tracks for New Zealand & more
www.FlyingtheChair.co.nz - NZ sidecar forums
Eddieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 02:21 AM   #67765
NordieBoy
Armature speller
 
NordieBoy's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Kiwiland
Oddometer: 7,125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddieb View Post
To be honest I don't recall which carb I bought it for and what was available at the time as I've had it for quite a while. When I fitted it however it looked like the stock cable had a different sized thread than what the FCR would accept
The FCR plunger also has no spike.
NordieBoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 05:34 AM   #67766
Callahan71
Banned
 
Callahan71's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: MSNBC Headquarters
Oddometer: 4,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
others go the full dynojet/airbox cut route but have some surge and poor running problems. i've stuck closer to stock and mine is functional and versatile. thought about pumper carb from Procycle but i'm waiting for a finalized PNP FI kit (if that ever happens http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=725795 http://drriders.com/topic2824.html?s...45a472105fb775 )
Strange, I've heard nothing but good things about the DJ kit + airbox mod. I ended up doing it with the GSXR 1000 can and it works great.
Callahan71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 06:29 AM   #67767
Thumper Dan
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: Australia, Northern NSW
Oddometer: 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by HerrMnnn View Post
Sides carbon, top gripper.
Not to harp on about this but how slippery is the all carbon seat cover from SC! I'm getting conflicting reports: some say its good some say they move around too much and can nearly fall off - WTF.


__________________
Currently riding DR650 (2011)
Mods: Manrack, ebay 48 litre top box, grind header pipe; B&B bash plate; bigger/better tool compartment (pvc pipe) - Screens For Bikes Windscreen, TM40 Pumper Carb, Safari Tank, Seat Concepts, Oxford Heater Grips, Highway Pegs, Wolfman Expidition bags and racks, HDB handguards, Cogent Mojave rear shock, intiminators, GSX muffler/mod
Thumper Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 07:13 AM   #67768
jhomc1300
Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Hanover, MN
Oddometer: 12
Need to adjust carb?

Last fall I bought a 2000 with the loud FMF pipe, open airbox, and pumper carb. I have since scrounged up a stock muffler. I am wondering what bad thing will happpen if I close up the air box, install the stock muffler, but do not change the carb?
jhomc1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 07:19 AM   #67769
acap650
acap650
 
acap650's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Western PA
Oddometer: 606
Quote:
Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
Looks like a home made chain oiler.
Not ho-made, it's a Loooooooooooobman.
acap650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 07:24 AM   #67770
TinkerinWstuff
Take it apart
 
TinkerinWstuff's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: Colorado Northern Front Range
Oddometer: 1,290
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhomc1300 View Post
Last fall I bought a 2000 with the loud FMF pipe, open airbox, and pumper carb. I have since scrounged up a stock muffler. I am wondering what bad thing will happpen if I close up the air box, install the stock muffler, but do not change the carb?
Fcr carb will not run right with closed airbox or even an airbox with just snorkel removed. It doesn't get enough air at higher rpm and the fuel mixture richens out. Can't get the jetting right without an open airbox.
__________________
1999 Suzuki DR650
1998 Honda VFR800 Interceptor
http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...KJutW9osVpn3hd
TinkerinWstuff is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:08 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014