Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-2012, 10:29 AM   #69016
thetable
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob.G View Post
IMO, why bother with an SM setup? The 705's are so sticky on the pavement and so versatile that I couldn't see spending the money on another set of street tires.
The 705s have NOWHERE near the grip of a proper set of sport tires, hell they don't even have the grip of a decent set of sport touring tires. Besides, once you get a 17" wheel out front, the whole nature of the beast changes. If you think it handles well in stock form, you're in for a rude awakening with a properly setup SM.
thetable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 10:43 AM   #69017
Lil' Steve
PussyWagon™ Chauffer

Oddometer: 3,798
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetable View Post
if you think it handles well in stock form, you're in for a rude awakening with a properly setup sm.

+1
Lil' Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 10:49 AM   #69018
neo1piv014
ADV in training

Oddometer: 618
Quote:
Originally Posted by victor441 View Post
Definitely test ride a DR650SM if you get a chance (or some sort of supermoto), I've had mine for a few months and it is an absolute blast on windy, bumpy back roads...as much fun as I've ever had on a bike in 40 years of riding, would have bought a sumo years ago if I'd known.
I considered a Tiger 800 myself but be aware it has a serious Achilles heel in that the passenger peg mounts stick way out and are welded to the frame which does not have a removable subframe...so relatively minor spills have resulted in bikes being totaled since they need a new frame. Some have cut the mounts off to prevent this
see http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...99070&page=928
My buddy pointed that out to me when I was checking his out. I'm guessing he read that thread as well. He mostly moved from the KLR to the Tiger so he could do two-up highway rides, so I'll wager that cutting them off isn't an option. Hopefully, some aftermarket company can step in with something.

Having seen so many Youtube videos about supermotoed DR650s and DRZ400s, I'm dying to get my hands on one. They look like they handle beautifully.
"The impossible often has a kind of integrity which the merely improbable lacks."
neo1piv014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 11:45 AM   #69019
acesandeights
Asperger

Oddometer: 3,378
Quote:
Originally Posted by acesandeights View Post
I rode a hundred miles the other day, mixed two-track, washboard fire roads, rural highway. On the way home that day I noticed my turn signal flashing quickly, which made me think a bulb was going out. I figured I'd check it out later at home. I didn't ride yesterday and forgot about the fast flashing lamp. This morning was going to start the bike to ride to work and when I turned the key the "dash" light flashed quickly and when I hit the starter the bike went "click" and was completely dead, dash dead, no headlamp, nothing at all. It was like having a completely dead battery, no crank at all, no nothing. I started thinking though that it was more like a blown fuse since there was nothing at all, or maybe some kind of short. Any ideas why the lamp/dash would flash quickly and then hitting the starter would cause everything to go completely dead?

I'm at work so I can't look at anything on the bike until this evening.
Flux capacitor?

I'll die with this hammer in my hand.
acesandeights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 12:06 PM   #69020
Richguzzi
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetable View Post
The 705s have NOWHERE near the grip of a proper set of sport tires, hell they don't even have the grip of a decent set of sport touring tires. Besides, once you get a 17" wheel out front, the whole nature of the beast changes. If you think it handles well in stock form, you're in for a rude awakening with a properly setup SM.

I think the 19" front is the best compromise if you still plan on some dirt work and don't want to have two sets of wheels. Then you can get some good street rubber if you want......

Slow old grey haired guys with arthritis and other ailments rule!
Richguzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 12:17 PM   #69021
Escaped
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by neo1piv014 View Post
Hmm. My bike just ticked over 10,000 miles, so it's still got the factory sprockets, chain, and cush drive rubbers from 2001. It's never been what I would call smooth, so I might look into swapping out those cush drive bits at least. As for the chain and sprockets, I haven't noticed any real wear and tear on them, and the chain isn't even up to the 3 mark on the snails yet. Did you change yours out when it was finally stretched out? That's about the only way I know of to check chain wear.

You will know if your chain need to be replaced if you can pull the chain with your thumb and index finger away from the very back of the rear sprocket and see more than 1/2 of a gear tooth (when properly adjusted). Also look for "kinks".

DR650 - Living the Dream!
Escaped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 12:48 PM   #69022
neo1piv014
ADV in training

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richguzzi View Post
I think the 19" front is the best compromise if you still plan on some dirt work and don't want to have two sets of wheels. Then you can get some good street rubber if you want......
I'd have to go a little out of my way to convert my stock tires to supermotos, so I was always looking at simply purchasing a set from Procycle or something whenever I got a tax return with some spare money. I loved the way the 19" front looked with the wider rear, but I figure that if I can have both world separately, I'll just go all the way in both directions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escaped View Post
You will know if your chain need to be replaced if you can pull the chain with your thumb and index finger away from the very back of the rear sprocket and see more than 1/2 of a gear tooth (when properly adjusted). Also look for "kinks".
I hadn't heard that one before, but I'm going to check that out when I get home. I remember 10,000 miles being the end of my Ninja's chain, but it also was putting a lot more power/stress on the chain.
"The impossible often has a kind of integrity which the merely improbable lacks."
Old 09-11-2012, 01:18 PM   #69023
GaThumper
Road Less Traveled

Oddometer: 509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob.G View Post
I see the 800XC as the natural evolution of the DR650. The ONLY issues I have with the DR650 on long trips are lack of power and vibration (being a single and all). The 800XC would solve both of those issues with a minimal weight penalty.

This is my second one; I'm getting around 5500-6000 miles out of the rear. When I put the current tire on, I put a new front on too. The front is down to maybe half, so I'm just putting on a new rear. When both of these wear out, I have the old front from LAST time to swap on with one more rear.

I love the 705's especially for the price. They're far better on dirt than their appearance would suggest. I had been using a set of Shinko 700's on a spare wheelset for more dirt-oriented rides, but now I'm not sure there's a need. I may swap that set back on again just to wear them out so I can put some true knobbies back on, like T63's. I didn't care for the D606's I had on there before.

Rob
I keep looking at the 800xc and I do like it, but I don't consider 100+ pounds minimal. Maybe I'm just gettting old!

1996 Suzuki Intruder 1400 (for sale) 1987 Yamaha TT600 (for sale)
GaThumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 01:44 PM   #69024
xKLR_John
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 855
Don't know about old but you're certainly sounding wise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaThumper View Post
I keep looking at the 800xc and I do like it, but I don't consider 100+ pounds minimal. Maybe I'm just gettting old!
xKLR_John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 02:17 PM   #69025
MeterPig
Meh

Oddometer: 17,095
This is an extended review of the Shinko 244 I put over in the Rockies.
Quote:
I did 25 miles or so on the Shinkos at Rampart Range which is a mix of decomposed granite, dirt and gravel at speeds between 5 and 30 mph (looking down at my speedometer). For the most part they worked well once I got used to the lack of precision I am used to with a dirt only tire. The front was pretty vague like any non-knobby but actually did ok considering the loose substrate and heavy bike that really wants to push more than steer.

The rear worked surprisingly well and only "dug" in once and that was on a long uphill where I had to stop due some other riders. Once I got moving, there was no traction problem at all.

The type of riding I did was probably not typical -considering I saw one other "big" bike, but at the same type, it showed the Shinko seems to be a good "50/50" tire. I would be happy to run down the road, hop off on a trail-and then hop back on. I did go ahead and deflate the tire to 15lbs front and back before hitting the trails.

If I choose to do that type of riding again-at that pace, my intent is to mount some knobbies in advance just so I can be a bit more confident and not have to worry as much about washing out the front or rear.

I'll post this over in the DR650 section a well.
Old 09-11-2012, 03:42 PM   #69026
neo1piv014
ADV in training

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeterPig View Post
This is an extended review of the Shinko 244 I put over in the Rockies.
Considering how cheap those tires are, I'm impressed that they work that well. I always thought they looked a bit like a poor man's trials tire.
Old 09-11-2012, 04:02 PM   #69027
MeterPig
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo1piv014 View Post
Considering how cheap those tires are, I'm impressed that they work that well. I always thought they looked a bit like a poor man's trials tire.
I think the DR's portly size helped a lot in terms of rear traction and contributed to the floating feeling int the front. Honestly, I could probably put a sticky front on and be in good shape. As a road tire, they rock.
Old 09-11-2012, 04:04 PM   #69028
MeterPig
Meh

Hey all, I am selling my hardly used FMF Q pipe. I thought it was loud-but when I went back to stock it's my airbox which is noisy-not the pipe overly so. It's been repacked with one ride and comes with more repacking material. I took the plunge on a Gixxer pipe so this has got to go.

$250 shipped.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=824681
Old 09-11-2012, 05:42 PM   #69029
acesandeights
Asperger

Oddometer: 3,378
Nevermind

I'll die with this hammer in my hand.

acesandeights screwed with this post 09-11-2012 at 06:17 PM
acesandeights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 06:27 PM   #69030
Rumlover
Ed

Oddometer: 707
acesandeights,

Electrical problems drive me crazy. I was just searching around to see if a bad ground might be the problem. I couldn't find anything definitive, but I would check all connectors and the battery connections to begin with.
I am sure someone will come along with some more ideas or possibly experienced the same problem.

Good luck!
Rumlover is offline   Reply With Quote