Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-2012, 07:33 AM   #69016
Tex76
Motersykle Advntyers

Oddometer: 815
Quote:
Originally Posted by neo1piv014 View Post
My girlfriend is all about the five bikes as long as I let her have her five bikes as well. And yes, she has a sister.
So should I just start calling you brother-in-law?
The Lost Texan, Wanders East
Tex76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 07:41 AM   #69017
Escaped
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 392
Hi Rob,

Regarding weird vibration, if the vibration only occurs while in motion, you may want to check out your sprockets / chain / cush drive rubbers. A while back I also had a weird vibration / rattle when under partial load and it turn out to be the worn chain / front sprocket. Just a thought.

Ray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob.G View Post
I need to stop trying to talk myself into a lesser bike and just find a way to make an 800XC happen. I got to ride one about a year ago when the demo truck came through Newport Beach (when I was in SoCal). Was really nice. Though there's a good deal on an 07 DL1000 up in Portland that I'd love to snag if I had $5k. Has luggage and everything.

My rear 705 is just about shot.. I have a new one in the garage I need to swap on. Might do that tomorrow. That and check all my motor mounts to try to figure out that weird vibration. I also wonder if the cam chain tensioner might not be doing it's job, since it's the automatic (stock) one.

Rob

DR650 - Living the Dream!
Escaped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 07:46 AM   #69018
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Oddometer: 1,959
Quote:
Originally Posted by Escaped View Post
Hi Rob,

Regarding weird vibration, if the vibration only occurs while in motion, you may want to check out your sprockets / chain / cush drive rubbers. A while back I also had a weird vibration / rattle when under partial load and it turn out to be the worn chain / front sprocket. Just a thought.
I just put a new chain and sprockets on 1000 miles ago, that's just it. A good-quality DID chain and JT sprockets. The last set went 13k miles. Things were nice 'n smooth for about 500 miles, then the weird vibe started, so I'm not convinced it's the chain or sprockets.

I changed the cush rubbers when I put the LAST chain on 13k/two years ago and they're still fairly snug.

The vibrations change depending on engine RPM. It's always had vibes at these particular RPMs, but it's gotten worse. Like it used to be super smooth at 5000 RPM, but now there's a vibe. There used to be a bit of a vibe in the 4000-4800 range, but now it's quite a bit worse. It gets annoying when I'm stuck at 50-55 mph because that's around 4000 RPM, unless I downshift... which I often have to do. But even then I'm still not at 5k, so vibes are still there.

I sure wish there was another DR650 guy locally that I knew so I could compare. If it's normal, I'll deal. If it isn't, I want to figure it out. :)

Rob
'10 Kawasaki KLX351S #320
'01 Yamaha FZ1
Rob.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 07:51 AM   #69019
Rumlover
Ed

Oddometer: 707
Quote:
I'm gonna go out on a limb here... it's not up to her to agree. If its your money, and all the other bills are taken care of, then buy whatever the hell you want (except perhaps for a fleet of blow-up dolls).

Rob

Oh, if only it could work that way --- not in my world. Wish I could pull that off. I would be afraid to go to sleep
Rumlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 07:53 AM   #69020
BadDogMax
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 139
Quote:
I just put a new chain and sprockets on 1000 miles ago, that's just it. A good-quality DID chain and JT sprockets. The last set went 13k miles. Things were nice 'n smooth for about 500 miles, then the weird vibe started, so I'm not convinced it's the chain or sprockets.

I changed the cush rubbers when I put the LAST chain on 13k/two years ago and they're still fairly snug.

Rob
My cush rubbers were only 5k miles old when I had vibration problems. Changing them solved it.
Old 09-11-2012, 07:56 AM   #69021
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadDogMax View Post
My cush rubbers were only 5k miles old when I had vibration problems. Changing them solved it.
Guess its worth a try then. Glad ProCycle is closeby!

Rob
'01 Yamaha FZ1
Old 09-11-2012, 08:07 AM   #69022
neo1piv014
ADV in training

Oddometer: 618
Quote:
I see the 800XC as the natural evolution of the DR650. The ONLY issues I have with the DR650 on long trips are lack of power and vibration (being a single and all). The 800XC would solve both of those issues with a minimal weight penalty.
The 800 seems a little more delicate than the DR650. Probably just because it looks so damn pretty.

Quote:
This is my second one; I'm getting around 5500-6000 miles out of the rear. When I put the current tire on, I put a new front on too. The front is down to maybe half, so I'm just putting on a new rear. When both of these wear out, I have the old front from LAST time to swap on with one more rear.

I love the 705's especially for the price. They're far better on dirt than their appearance would suggest. I had been using a set of Shinko 700's on a spare wheelset for more dirt-oriented rides, but now I'm not sure there's a need. I may swap that set back on again just to wear them out so I can put some true knobbies back on, like T63's. I didn't care for the D606's I had on there before.

Rob
Totally agree about the 606's. They weren't half bad in the dirt at all, but my god, they made an awful noise on pavement. I've never run T63's myself, but friends that have had good things to say, and they're nowhere near as pricey as the Dunlops. How were your experiences with the 700's? They're in that same price range, and they definitely look gnarlier than the 705's.
"The impossible often has a kind of integrity which the merely improbable lacks."
neo1piv014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 08:08 AM   #69023
neo1piv014
ADV in training

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex76 View Post
So should I just start calling you brother-in-law?
Always glad to add another member to the family!
"The impossible often has a kind of integrity which the merely improbable lacks."
Old 09-11-2012, 08:10 AM   #69024
acesandeights
Asperger

Oddometer: 3,184
Dead Battery, Fuse, Short ?

I rode a hundred miles the other day, mixed two-track, washboard fire roads, rural highway. On the way home that day I noticed my turn signal flashing quickly, which made me think a bulb was going out. I figured I'd check it out later at home. I didn't ride yesterday and forgot about the fast flashing lamp. This morning was going to start the bike to ride to work and when I turned the key the "dash" light flashed quickly and when I hit the starter the bike went "click" and was completely dead, dash dead, no headlamp, nothing at all. It was like having a completely dead battery, no crank at all, no nothing. I started thinking though that it was more like a blown fuse since there was nothing at all, or maybe some kind of short. Any ideas why the lamp/dash would flash quickly and then hitting the starter would cause everything to go completely dead?

I'm at work so I can't look at anything on the bike until this evening.

I'll die with this hammer in my hand.
acesandeights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 08:11 AM   #69025
neo1piv014
ADV in training

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escaped View Post
Hi Rob,

Ray
Hmm. My bike just ticked over 10,000 miles, so it's still got the factory sprockets, chain, and cush drive rubbers from 2001. It's never been what I would call smooth, so I might look into swapping out those cush drive bits at least. As for the chain and sprockets, I haven't noticed any real wear and tear on them, and the chain isn't even up to the 3 mark on the snails yet. Did you change yours out when it was finally stretched out? That's about the only way I know of to check chain wear.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:12 AM   #69026
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Quote:
The 800 seems a little more delicate than the DR650. Probably just because it looks so damn pretty.
Read this thread:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=701552

He got one of the first 2011 Tiger 800XCs and has put 20k miles on it in two years. He's beat the thing all to hell and back and it hasn't flinched. He rides it like most people would ride something like a CRF250R.

Quote:
Totally agree about the 606's. They weren't half bad in the dirt at all, but my god, they made an awful noise on pavement. I've never run T63's myself, but friends that have had good things to say, and they're nowhere near as pricey as the Dunlops. How were your experiences with the 700's? They're in that same price range, and they definitely look gnarlier than the 705's.
I was fine with the 606's on pavement. Noisey for sure. But in dirt, I hated them. Packed dirt they were fine (but so are 705's). In loose dirt, neither end would bite and the bike was virtually unrideable. I sold them off a few months ago.

When I bought my DR two years ago, it came with a set of 700's. I got 3600 out of my rear tire and tossed the front at the time, since I switched to the 705's and got the second set of wheels for the 606's. I put the 700's back on because they did so well and I was disgusted with the 606's. But now I think the 705's are pretty much as good as the 700's, but the 705's do vastly better on pavement and last 50-100% longer.

BTW the guy above with the 800XC (av_mech) runs 705's too.

Rob
'01 Yamaha FZ1
Old 09-11-2012, 08:23 AM   #69027
neo1piv014
ADV in training

Quote:
Read this thread:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=701552

He got one of the first 2011 Tiger 800XCs and has put 20k miles on it in two years. He's beat the thing all to hell and back and it hasn't flinched. He rides it like most people would ride something like a CRF250R.

I was fine with the 606's on pavement. Noisey for sure. But in dirt, I hated them. Packed dirt they were fine (but so are 705's). In loose dirt, neither end would bite and the bike was virtually unrideable. I sold them off a few months ago.

When I bought my DR two years ago, it came with a set of 700's. I got 3600 out of my rear tire and tossed the front at the time, since I switched to the 705's and got the second set of wheels for the 606's. I put the 700's back on because they did so well and I was disgusted with the 606's. But now I think the 705's are pretty much as good as the 700's, but the 705's do vastly better on pavement and last 50-100% longer.

BTW the guy above with the 800XC (av_mech) runs 705's too.

Rob
Hobbes...I like it. Beautiful bike, and I guess I'll have to retract my statement questioning their durability . I'm still looking for a tire that can haul my heavy bike+self combo through softer dirt and sand. That's the only area where the 705s fall short, and the 606s weren't a ton better. The T63's look fairly similar to the 606's as far as knob depth, but they're cheap enough to fall in my range of "why not just try em?" I might check out the MT21's as well after all I've heard about them. This is why I need to find myself a spare set of wheels, though - it sucks to tear up good knobs driving to work and back all the time.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:32 AM   #69028
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Quote:
Hobbes...I like it. Beautiful bike, and I guess I'll have to retract my statement questioning their durability . I'm still looking for a tire that can haul my heavy bike+self combo through softer dirt and sand. That's the only area where the 705s fall short, and the 606s weren't a ton better. The T63's look fairly similar to the 606's as far as knob depth, but they're cheap enough to fall in my range of "why not just try em?" I might check out the MT21's as well after all I've heard about them. This is why I need to find myself a spare set of wheels, though - it sucks to tear up good knobs driving to work and back all the time.
Keep your eye on eBay. I actually bought two sets, but sold off one set about a year ago. Wishing I had kept them, but what the heck, I sold 'em for more than I paid so hard to complain. But do keep an eye out... they pop up from time to time. Craigslist sometimes works too.

Rob
'01 Yamaha FZ1
Old 09-11-2012, 08:46 AM   #69029
neo1piv014
ADV in training

Quote:
Keep your eye on eBay. I actually bought two sets, but sold off one set about a year ago. Wishing I had kept them, but what the heck, I sold 'em for more than I paid so hard to complain. But do keep an eye out... they pop up from time to time. Craigslist sometimes works too.

Rob
About how much did you fork over for them? If I can get a second set on the cheap, I'm considering lacing the spare set up to 17" rims front/back so I can run them as a supermoto.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:55 AM   #69030
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Quote:
About how much did you fork over for them? If I can get a second set on the cheap, I'm considering lacing the spare set up to 17" rims front/back so I can run them as a supermoto.
I want to say around $300 for the pair.

IMO, why bother with an SM setup? The 705's are so sticky on the pavement and so versatile that I couldn't see spending the money on another set of street tires.

Rob
'01 Yamaha FZ1