badweatherbiker
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 698
Quote:
Originally Posted by motolab View Post
Is there a change in severity?

Regards,

Derek
no change, surges constantly. backfires some on decel (drilled stock pipe)
Advocare products-www.advocare.com/12084065
badweatherbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 08:12 PM   #70217
motolab
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by badweatherbiker View Post
no change, surges constantly. backfires some on decel (drilled stock pipe)
I'm not asking whether or not it surges constantly. I'm asking whether the severity of the surging changes with engine temperature.

Regards,

Derek
motolab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 08:17 PM   #70218
badweatherbiker
Studly Adventurer

nope, same all the time all temps
Old 10-18-2012, 08:25 PM   #70219
Davis53
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 547
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrprez View Post
OK, so just realized that my neutral light isn't working. How much trouble am I in and what's the best route to take at this point. I don't want to assume that the unknown to me PO did anything about fixing the screws or removing the NSU altogether. If it was removed would it be obvious somewhere where the cable exits the motor somewhere????
Don't run the engine anymore till you take the right sidecase off. You may find one or two screws loose in the bottom of the case. They are for the neutral light switch, it is a common problem. If you run the engine they may get caught in the gears.
R90/6
TW200
KTM300EXC
KDX200
Davis53 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 08:56 PM   #70220
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrprez View Post
OK, so just realized that my neutral light isn't working. How much trouble am I in and what's the best route to take at this point. I don't want to assume that the unknown to me PO did anything about fixing the screws or removing the NSU altogether. If it was removed would it be obvious somewhere where the cable exits the motor somewhere????
What year, how many miles, just curious?

Don't let the length of this post scare you, there are several solutions for the same issue. Get a new gasket before you start, some break, some don't. Mine broke into several pieces.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...7&postcount=15

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 09:03 PM   #70221
motolab
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,221
Quote:
nope, same all the time all temps
OK. Does whether or not the cold start enrichment circuit is active make any difference to the severity of the surging?

Is the cold start enrichment circuit required to be active for it to start from cold?

Regards,

Derek
motolab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 09:51 PM   #70222
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis53 View Post
Don't run the engine anymore till you take the right sidecase off. You may find one or two screws loose in the bottom of the case. They are for the neutral light switch, it is a common problem. If you run the engine they may get caught in the gears.
I agree. Shut her down and pull the sidecase off and check those NSU bolts.
If missing, try to fish them out. Good luck!

DO NOT start engine until you've verified all is OK. As many know, the neutral light going away has been a common symptom when NSU bolts are missing.
A cheap and easy fix, best catch it before you have a problem.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 12:45 AM   #70223
sharpblade
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
Could someone tell me the size of the rear axle nut and the size of the oil plug nut. Thank you.
sharpblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 12:48 AM   #70224
BergDonk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpblade View Post
Could someone tell me the size of the rear axle nut and the size of the oil plug nut. Thank you.
OTTOMH, 24 and 14 mm
Old 10-19-2012, 12:52 AM   #70225
sharpblade
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
Thank you so much. I was also trying to find a free download for the dr manual. I had a 2006 dr and had the manual but sold the bike about 3 years ago and gave the manual away. Just bought a new 2012 dr and am in need again.
sharpblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 02:34 AM   #70226
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 641
Quote:
I just want it to work, its a long way home everyday and that surging is awful!
When you get your bike running properly with those mods, then get back on a stock bike, you'll realize just how much more fun and useful your bike is modded over a stocker. A properly modded DR/XRL/KLR etc is a whole nother beast from the super restricted EPA versions. Once you get used to a properly running modded machine, stock will never thrill you again
Old 10-19-2012, 03:19 AM   #70227
badweatherbiker
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by motolab View Post
OK. Does whether or not the cold start enrichment circuit is active make any difference to the severity of the surging?

Is the cold start enrichment circuit required to be active for it to start from cold?

Regards,

Derek
the enricher on the left handlebar? it makes no difference at speed. I turned it on while on the highway at nearly 70mph and noticed no difference.
Old 10-19-2012, 03:57 AM   #70228
mrprez
KJ4WMZ

Oddometer: 1,265
Quote:
Originally Posted by ER70S-2 View Post
What year, how many miles, just curious?

Don't let the length of this post scare you, there are several solutions for the same issue. Get a new gasket before you start, some break, some don't. Mine broke into several pieces.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...7&postcount=15
2004, 6281 miles. I'm gonna check the bulb first and then order up a new gasket. Another thing I noticed that it won't start with the side stand down.

Edit: Checked the bulb, it is fine. On to plan B.

mrprez screwed with this post 10-19-2012 at 05:15 AM
mrprez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 04:30 AM   #70229
RichBeBe
All Hail Seitan!!!

Oddometer: 6,116
The challenge of transmissions are huge. I worked for a long time at a shop who made custom drag racing transmissions for high-powered bikes and I can tell you there is a LOT that goes into making a transmission. The one thing that fascinated me was the hardening process. Different gears, shafts, and forks were all hardened differently. I can't go into the science of it here, but a gear with dogs on it may be softer than a gear with engagement slots on it, also one gear set me be harder than another.
Not knowing, nor have I seen a blown up third gear i cannot say what the issue it, but I am pretty sure Suzuki as do all manufacturers "play" with the hardening of the parts. They most likely just got it wrong.
Old 10-19-2012, 05:54 AM   #70230
GaThumper
Road Less Traveled

Oddometer: 512
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kernel View Post
I just posted this over in the no moaning and pissing thread, sorry if there is some rule against making the same post in two threads but I couldn't be bothered reading the site rules.

I just got to thinking.
Everyone refers to the DR650 as the ultimate 'zombie apocalypse' bike.
Sorry, but I tend to disagree.
Why?
The bike is not fuel efficient enough.
Ok ok, the DR650 is quite a fuel efficient bike, especially considering how much forward-lurching torque blast-outta-da-cornerz fun it has, it really is.
But for a zombie apocalypse/post nuclear disaster bike? Sorry, no.
The bikes that will truly shine when shit really hits the motherfucken fan will be bikes such as the TW200, the CT110, the DR250, the XT200.
Bikes which use fuck all of nothing petrol and will get you anywhere and everywhere, and will keep thumping along happily all day. Because lets face it, petrol is going to be damn near unobtainable, and when you can get it, it will be very expensive (think $5 a litre) and people who sell it will be few and far between.

OR.

A multi-fuel motor equipped DR650, a la the HAYES-DT M1030-M2, capable of achieving near 100 MPG. Now THAT would be unstoppable.
Think of the logic behind it. A powerful, high-revving, torque rich, mechanical direct injected, indestructible engine capable of achieving astonishing astonishing fuel mileage mated with the most versatile best go-anywhere any-time bike known to man.

When the zombie apocalypse/post nuclear disaster inevitably hits, there's going to plenty of people scraping a living together making fuel this engine is capable of happily running on. It is going to be the most widely available and cheapest fuel in existence. After all, you can make kerosene/diesel out of used motor oil (providing you run it through an oil cleaner first) very cheap and biodiesel out of vegetable crops, and lets not forget the vast quantities of unused jet fuel that will be looming around in stores. All of which the M1030-M2's engine is capable of running on quite happily.

One of these days either Hayes-DT is going to release their magnificent single cylinder diesel motorcycle engine into the public sector, or someone is going to design and manufacture an equivalent nearly as good (perhaps better?) engine and make it available for sale to the public. I plan on being one of the first to have it adapted it to the DR650 when this happens, so that I will have the edge when petroleum becomes unobtainium.

Like this...

http://www.motorcycle.com/manufactur...iew-90964.html

Maybe this is the final product?

1996 Suzuki Intruder 1400 (for sale) 1987 Yamaha TT600 (for sale)

GaThumper screwed with this post 10-19-2012 at 06:05 AM
GaThumper is offline   Reply With Quote