Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-23-2012, 02:03 PM   #70381
Mongle
Knuckle dragger

Oddometer: 2,196
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRAVELGUY View Post
Seems like you need to adjust your clutch!!

TravelGuy
+1

If your clutch is dragging it wont let the syncros slow down enough to engage- causing grinding. Higher gears always seem to mesh easier. I often don't even use the clutch when up shifting 3-4-5 just cruising around.
Mongle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 02:18 PM   #70382
NewDR650seOwner
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Cry 2007 Dr650 fork width???

I can't seem to find this measurement. Can someone throw me a bone?
NewDR650seOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 02:20 PM   #70383
NewDR650seOwner
Adventurer

2007 Dr650Se fork width???

Its an SE, if that makes a difference.
Old 10-23-2012, 02:31 PM   #70384
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,264
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewDR650seOwner View Post
I can't seem to find this measurement. Can someone throw me a bone?
Do you want to know the distance between the forks? Center to center? Or diameter?
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 02:43 PM   #70385
BergDonk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,890
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongle View Post
+1

If your clutch is dragging it wont let the syncros slow down enough to engage- causing grinding. Higher gears always seem to mesh easier. I often don't even use the clutch when up shifting 3-4-5 just cruising around.
Synchros, what synchros?

Old 10-23-2012, 03:16 PM   #70386
motolab
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by badweatherbiker View Post
By on top I meant freeway speed.
For diagnostic purposes, the road speed is mostly irrelevant. The throttle should be open less than 1/4 for steady speed freeway cruising. To be sure, put some tape on the throttle housing and the edge of the grip. Mark zero throttle with a sharpie. This is best done with the engine idling, so you can tell when the slack in the cable has just been taken up. Turn off the engine and mark wide open. Now take a tape measure (metric works best in my opinion) and measure the length of the arc. Put a mark at the mid point. Duplicate this procedure to mark the mid-point between here and zero throttle opening to get 1/4 open. Repeat for 1/8 and 1/16 openings. With the help of the marks, determine precisely during what throttle opening(s) it misbehaves. Don't have an accident trying to look at the marks while riding. If you do, I'm not responsible!

Ideally the fundamentals should be taken care of first. Make sure the slide, emulsion tube, and slide are not worn out. Replace the slide if it has been drilled. The float needle should be replaced if there is evidence of a witness line from seat contact evident on the rubber conical tip of the needle under magnification. Replace any rubber parts that have shrunken, deformed, hardened, cracked or otherwise been damaged. Set the float height to 14.7 mm with a float height setting tool. Replace the pilot jet for good measure. Install an adjustable aluminum jet needle with a reasonable profile. Reinstall the now missing white plastic needle spacer. Adjust the idle mixture and speed.

After that, tuning should be done from the top down, i.e. main jet for wide open throttle first, followed by clip position for 1/4 opening, followed by pilot jet size for 1/8 and 1/16 openings.

Regards,

Derek
motolab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 04:17 PM   #70387
NewDR650seOwner
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket View Post
Do you want to know the distance between the forks? Center to center? Or diameter?
I would like to know width of a single fork, so I guess diameter. Getting some clip ons.
Old 10-23-2012, 04:22 PM   #70388
JagLite
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 926
Cool2 Carb parts and tuning

Quote:
Originally Posted by motolab View Post
For diagnostic purposes, the road speed is mostly irrelevant. The throttle should be open less than 1/4 for steady speed freeway cruising. (Depending on your gearing of course as well as the speed of traffic on your freeway... ) To be sure, put some tape on the throttle housing and the edge of the grip. Mark zero throttle with a sharpie. This is best done with the engine idling, so you can tell when the slack in the cable has just been taken up. Turn off the engine and mark wide open. Now take a tape measure (metric works best in my opinion) and measure the length of the arc. Put a mark at the mid point. Duplicate this procedure to mark the mid-point between here and zero throttle opening to get 1/4 open. Repeat for 1/8 and 1/16 openings. With the help of the marks, determine precisely during what throttle opening(s) it misbehaves. Don't have an accident trying to look at the marks while riding. If you do, I'm not responsible!

Ideally the fundamentals should be taken care of first. Make sure the slide, emulsion tube, and slide are not worn out. Replace the slide if it has been drilled. (Or just put a drop of silicone to seal it, or leave the extra hole in it like the rest of us, even though Derek says it will shorten the life of other parts) The float needle should be replaced if there is evidence of a witness line from seat contact evident on the rubber conical tip of the needle under magnification. Replace any rubber parts that have shrunken, deformed, hardened, cracked or otherwise been damaged. Set the float height to 14.7 mm with a float height setting tool. (What!? You don't have one??? Neither do most of us) Replace the pilot jet for good measure. Install an adjustable aluminum jet needle with a reasonable profile. (Make sure it is reasonable. Try asking it political questions) Reinstall the now missing white plastic needle spacer. Adjust the idle mixture and speed. (Derek didn't mention that he stocks and sells all the parts for your carby. He is so modest)

After that, tuning should be done from the top down, i.e. main jet for wide open throttle first, followed by clip position for 1/4 opening, followed by pilot jet size for 1/8 and 1/16 openings.

Regards,

Derek
You got all that? Good.
Excellent advice from a tuner who has evidently tuned hundreds of DR's. Well, dozens at least. Ok, maybe a few?
Has anyone on here had Derek tune their bike?
If you live close to his shop it could be fun to have him tune it up.
Or perhaps send him your carb for a rebuild with new parts?
Might be less expensive to just get a new pumper carb though, I don't know.

Most of us are very happy with how our bikes run with a simple jet kit from Procycle.
However, if you carb has problems, like worn parts as Derek mentioned, nothing will work well until those parts are replaced.
I am sure Derek can help you determine what, if any parts are in need of replacement. Give him a call.

It would be very interesting, I mean VERY INTERESTING if someone would take their DR to Derek and dyno it before and after having him tune it.

The best would be if it had a Procycle jet kit in it and the owner believed it to be running very well.
And how it feels to ride afterwards. Hmmmmmm,...

Any takers? Purely in the name of research of course.
A before and after dyno chart would be very nice to see, eh?
James
JagLite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 04:26 PM   #70389
motolab
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by JagLite View Post
It would be very interesting, I mean VERY INTERESTING if someone would take their DR to Derek and dyno it before and after having him tune it.

The best would be if it had a Procycle jet kit in it and the owner believed it to be running very well.
And how it feels to ride afterwards. Hmmmmmm,...

Any takers? Purely in the name of research of course.
A before and after dyno chart would be very nice to see, eh?
I'm all for it!

Regards,

Derek
motolab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 04:30 PM   #70390
JagLite
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 926
Pissed USPS fail

On another subject... (please!)

My latest order from Procycle was delivered yesterday.

According to the USPS that is.
Who it was delivered to is the question since the carrier didn't put it in the correct box!
Hopefully whichever one of my neighbors actually got it will turn it in or bring it to me.
The problem of the common ganged lock-box mailboxes.
No way to determine who might have got it.
No street address on the boxes, more than 80 boxes...

The worst part?

My new ProCycle Tee-shirt was in it!!!!!!!
James
JagLite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 04:32 PM   #70391
Mongle
Knuckle dragger

Oddometer: 2,196
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergDonk View Post
Synchros, what synchros?

Sorry, I forgot that it didn't have synchros... Will it make you happy if I call them "dogs" then?
Mongle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 04:34 PM   #70392
BergDonk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,890
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongle View Post
Sorry, I forgot that it didn't have synchros... Will it make you happy if I call them "dogs" then?
I like cats myself, but dogs are good too
Old 10-23-2012, 05:12 PM   #70393
TRAVELGUY
Old Traveler

Oddometer: 557
My mail delivery was so bad for several years that I had to inform vender's that I could only purchase from them if they shipped UPS or FedEx. Sometimes my neighbors would bring me my credit card bills that they had received. Other times I would receive them after the due date, same with some utility bills. Finally after many complains by me and other people on the same route the carrier quit. Why was she not fired before that?

TravelGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagLite View Post
On another subject... (please!)

My latest order from Procycle was delivered yesterday.

According to the USPS that is.
Who it was delivered to is the question since the carrier didn't put it in the correct box!
Hopefully whichever one of my neighbors actually got it will turn it in or bring it to me.
The problem of the common ganged lock-box mailboxes.
No way to determine who might have got it.
No street address on the boxes, more than 80 boxes...

The worst part?

My new ProCycle Tee-shirt was in it!!!!!!!
DR650 '07
TRAVELGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 05:24 PM   #70394
TRAVELGUY
Old Traveler

Oddometer: 557
After talking with Derek on the phone once and reading his posts I only wish I was located so that I could have him tune my very well running stock carb DR650. I am sure this man knows what he is talking about and I could gain additional performance. I feel lucky that I have a contact for carb parts and information from a knowledgable source.

TravelGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by motolab View Post
I'm all for it!

Regards,

Derek
DR650 '07
TRAVELGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 05:24 PM   #70395
Lil' Steve
PussyWagon™ Chauffer

Oddometer: 3,798
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewDR650seOwner View Post
I would like to know width of a single fork, so I guess diameter. Getting some clip ons.

43mm
Lil' Steve is offline   Reply With Quote