Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,175
Quote:
Originally Posted by heirhead View Post
Hello,

The RED CIRCLE is fine.

Quote:
....... just will have to lower forks more to see if that is enough.
There's a way to lower the forks internally, a factory option and it's good for 1-1/2". But it requires fork disassembly. To know if it's been done, just measure your fork length with no weight on them (full extension). My stock forks (full extension) are 35 1/4" from the fork cap to the axle centerline. Factory lowered should be 33 3/4".

Quote:
I must be really short!!

Thanks again,

Heirhead
You can't be all that short; your feet reach the ground when you're walking, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by biosci View Post
Thanks ER70S I finally found the explanation I was seeking. appreciate the pics too.
Glad to help with the AHA moment. I pirated that photo and I'm looking for the rightful owner right now, to give proper credit.

Found and edited my earlier post:
Photo thanks to TrophyHunter and findable thanks to Krusty's DR650 Index.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -

ER70S-2 screwed with this post 11-09-2012 at 07:14 PM
ER70S-2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 07:10 PM   #70847
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,927
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRAVELGUY View Post

Well finally got the photo to post. Tires hold air and all is going well. Will post if any future problems arise.

TravelGuy
You still have the training wheels on your bike, I see.

Emmbeedee screwed with this post 11-09-2012 at 07:16 PM
Emmbeedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 07:15 PM   #70848
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,175

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 07:32 PM   #70849
bradrh
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 368
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRAVELGUY View Post
Grifter here is how I did it. Used wire brush to clean nipple area, Dremel and drill power

Two applications of Seal-All the one of Goop, same manufacturer. Available at most hardware stores.

Mounted tires and then did bathtub test for leaks, no leaks. First tried to mount some used TrackMaster tires designed to use tubes and could not get them to pop and seal bead. Got out my new Kenda Big Block and they popped right in place.

Waited a few days before checking air pressures again, all okay. Mounted wheels on bike and did test ride. All seems okay.

TravelGuy
These are stock rims?
The kenda's are tubeless type? You didn't have to do anything seal around the bead? Are you running slime or anything?
I've run mtn bikes tubeless for a few years, we just use some tape around the rim to seal around the spokes, then run Stans No-tubes (http://www.notubes.com) to seal up any remaining leaks. One problem that can occur at low pressures is the tire burping off the bead. It will come unsealed for a moment & lose some air, usually when you put a lateral load on it in a corner or a drop. Not too big of a problem at mtn bike speeds, but I wonder if this could occur with a motorcycle rim that isn't designed for tubeless.
Old 11-09-2012, 08:00 PM   #70850
lamotovita
Ageing Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,359
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradrh View Post
. One problem that can occur at low pressures is the tire burping off the bead. It will come unsealed for a moment & lose some air, usually when you put a lateral load on it in a corner or a drop. Not too big of a problem at mtn bike speeds, but I wonder if this could occur with a motorcycle rim that isn't designed for tubeless.
Yes it can. It even happened to me once with a tubeless tire on a tubeless rim (it was a cheap Brazilian tire and I tried running very low pressure to get it to hook up). Looking at the DR in question, and how it's loaded, I'm guessing that low pressures aren't a concern.
Old 11-09-2012, 08:02 PM   #70851
Feelers
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 181
Quote:
These are stock rims?
The kenda's are tubeless type? You didn't have to do anything seal around the bead? Are you running slime or anything?
I've run mtn bikes tubeless for a few years, we just use some tape around the rim to seal around the spokes, then run Stans No-tubes (http://www.notubes.com) to seal up any remaining leaks. One problem that can occur at low pressures is the tire burping off the bead. It will come unsealed for a moment & lose some air, usually when you put a lateral load on it in a corner or a drop. Not too big of a problem at mtn bike speeds, but I wonder if this could occur with a motorcycle rim that isn't designed for tubeless.
Just a question: If you get a flat out in the bush and the tubeless tire comes off the bead, how do you plan to get it back on?
Feelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 08:17 PM   #70852
johnkol
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 134
Quote:
These are stock rims?
Travelguy used the so called Cyborg method for sealing his rims, the same way I did it. No need to seal around the bead, the tyre itself takes care of that. No need to run a tyre sealant either, although I do run QuadBoss for additional peace of mind.
johnkol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 08:27 PM   #70853
johnkol
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feelers View Post
Just a question: If you get a flat out in the bush and the tubeless tire comes off the bead, how do you plan to get it back on?
It's very easy; in my garage I pop the tyre bead onto the rim using just a bicycle pump.
Old 11-09-2012, 08:43 PM   #70854
procycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,153
Quote:
For trips out in the bush you still carry a tube for emergency repair.
TurboDiesel Corvette - go to the end to start at the beginning
procycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 09:55 PM   #70855
Feelers
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by procycle View Post
For trips out in the bush you still carry a tube for emergency repair.
Oh...
That seems to defeat the purpose doesn't it?

I thought the purpose was to avoid carrying tubes and to not need to remove tires for tube repair/insertion.
Feelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 10:14 PM   #70856
procycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,153
Quote:
That seems to defeat the purpose doesn't it?
The main advantage is you can repair a simple puncture with a plug. But to be prepared for a damaged rim or tire damage that won't hold a plug you would really want a tube as backup.
TurboDiesel Corvette - go to the end to start at the beginning
procycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 10:21 PM   #70857
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Oddometer: 2,095
Rear Shock

So... for the cost-conscious... is the ProCycle Rear Shock Solution kit (basically a gold valve and a spring) going to be that much worse than sending the shock off to Cogent? Seems to me if you get the valving right it oughta be pretty darn good, yes? $279 vs $500-something is a pretty big difference. Especially since I need to do the rear shock on my KLX250S as well.

Rob
'10 Kawasaki KLX351S #320
Rob.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 10:32 PM   #70858
acesandeights
Asperger

Oddometer: 3,525
Front/Rear Suspension

Interesting your question came up.

It's my thought that the Race Tech emulators and rear shock assy are the best thing out there. I don't understand the Cogent option. A lot of people are happy with it, but wouldn't they be happier with the Race Tech rear shock assembly? Seems the Race Tech rear shock assembly is better and cheaper, or am I wrong?

Anyway, I'd put the Procycle front suspenion kit and the shock assy together as a package and call it race ready. Anyone disagree?

I'll die with this hammer in my hand.
acesandeights is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 12:34 AM   #70859
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 641
Quote:
The main advantage is you can repair a simple puncture with a plug. But to be prepared for a damaged rim or tire damage that won't hold a plug you would really want a tube as backup.
What I'm wondering is how you can tighten loose spokes as they develop if you seal the nipple? It seems like as soon as you turn the nipple to tighten up the spokes you'll break the seal...then I guess you pull the tire and go back in and reseal?
Old 11-10-2012, 12:59 AM   #70860
johnkol
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Do road bike riders carry a tube for their tubeless wheels? Of course not. Why would one carry a tube for a tubeless DR then? I never do. I hardly ever get flats to begin with, so what is the probability that one gets a flat that cannot be repaired with a plug?