Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-09-2012, 09:43 PM   #70846
procycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feelers View Post
Just a question: If you get a flat out in the bush and the tubeless tire comes off the bead, how do you plan to get it back on?
For trips out in the bush you still carry a tube for emergency repair.
TurboDiesel Corvette - go to the end to start at the beginning
procycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 10:55 PM   #70847
Feelers
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by procycle View Post
For trips out in the bush you still carry a tube for emergency repair.
Oh...
That seems to defeat the purpose doesn't it?

I thought the purpose was to avoid carrying tubes and to not need to remove tires for tube repair/insertion.
Feelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 11:14 PM   #70848
procycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,194
Quote:
That seems to defeat the purpose doesn't it?
The main advantage is you can repair a simple puncture with a plug. But to be prepared for a damaged rim or tire damage that won't hold a plug you would really want a tube as backup.
TurboDiesel Corvette - go to the end to start at the beginning
procycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 11:21 PM   #70849
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Oddometer: 2,130
Rear Shock

So... for the cost-conscious... is the ProCycle Rear Shock Solution kit (basically a gold valve and a spring) going to be that much worse than sending the shock off to Cogent? Seems to me if you get the valving right it oughta be pretty darn good, yes? $279 vs $500-something is a pretty big difference. Especially since I need to do the rear shock on my KLX250S as well.

Rob
'10 Kawasaki KLX351S #320
Rob.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 11:32 PM   #70850
acesandeights
Asperger

Oddometer: 3,698
Front/Rear Suspension

Interesting your question came up.

It's my thought that the Race Tech emulators and rear shock assy are the best thing out there. I don't understand the Cogent option. A lot of people are happy with it, but wouldn't they be happier with the Race Tech rear shock assembly? Seems the Race Tech rear shock assembly is better and cheaper, or am I wrong?

Anyway, I'd put the Procycle front suspenion kit and the shock assy together as a package and call it race ready. Anyone disagree?

I'll die with this hammer in my hand.
acesandeights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 01:34 AM   #70851
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 641
Quote:
The main advantage is you can repair a simple puncture with a plug. But to be prepared for a damaged rim or tire damage that won't hold a plug you would really want a tube as backup.
What I'm wondering is how you can tighten loose spokes as they develop if you seal the nipple? It seems like as soon as you turn the nipple to tighten up the spokes you'll break the seal...then I guess you pull the tire and go back in and reseal?
Old 11-10-2012, 01:59 AM   #70852
johnkol
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
Quote:
Do road bike riders carry a tube for their tubeless wheels? Of course not. Why would one carry a tube for a tubeless DR then? I never do. I hardly ever get flats to begin with, so what is the probability that one gets a flat that cannot be repaired with a plug?
johnkol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 02:51 AM   #70853
greendude
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnkol View Post
It's very easy; in my garage I pop the tyre bead onto the rim using just a bicycle pump.
you must be a fast pumper.do you practice much
greendude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 03:14 AM   #70854
Rex Nemo
horizon calling

Oddometer: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by heirhead View Post
Hello,

Going to Coyote Cyn in Anza Borrego Desert this weekend. Last time I went had stock gearing,( to Tall ), stock shock, and stock seat. Now 13 front, 8.3 rear shock, Lowering links and front lowered. Last time, Feb 2012 had brand new skid plate on. Fell 3 times going up and once down. Skid plate did its job, got hammered. Well now the bike is LOWER but much stronger spring. Been riding whole life but really never did much in the way of suspension except MX in early 70s. The ride is really fun with sand, water crossings, rocks and ginormous palm trees at top around an Oasis. Youtube it. Live at the beach and always stop at Palomar mountain on way, maybe snow as it rained most of the day and now. Have been riding my xt225 and tw200 so I feel like I'm on a fire breathing MONSTER. Can't wait.

Thanks again for all of you advice and knowledge.

Heirhead
Hey, take photos of your trip and let us know how it goes--I LOVE Anza-Borrego. Haven't yet ridden a bike there (my gf and I suck at sand riding), but the place just blows my mind--the surreal sunrises, the long whips of thorny ocotillo, the convoluted canyons, moonrise over the palm oasis...such a great part of the world.
Old 11-10-2012, 03:24 AM   #70855
TrophyHunter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,051
Suspension - Rob & Ace...

I really know very little about suspension and I figured a preset kit would do it for me since I was also price concious. I got the Procycle kits and dove in. There may be better answers out there but it worked for me. I just wanted something to absorb the type of riding I do combined with the burrito storage vault my legs carry around.

The more I learn about suspension, the higher it goes on my "first thing to do to a bike" list. The DR isn't a race bike but the improvement is drastic whatever you choose. I found the PC kits cost effective and enjoyed learning during the install. They have good tutorials on their site and were extremely helpful on the phone as was RaceTech when I had questions.

Finish up the process with a proper sag setting, too. I got lazy and got close, but not exact. I went to a suspension guy in my riding group who dialed the last bit in.....another drastic difference.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=35652

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=36300

"It's a small amount of gas, but it represents a long walk" My Dad...
TrophyHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 03:36 AM   #70856
TrophyHunter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,051
Rex - a couple of Anza-Borrego area zen pics for ya.

"It's a small amount of gas, but it represents a long walk" My Dad...
TrophyHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 05:37 AM   #70857
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,272
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnkol View Post
Do road bike riders carry a tube for their tubeless wheels? Of course not. Why would one carry a tube for a tubeless DR then? I never do. I hardly ever get flats to begin with, so what is the probability that one gets a flat that cannot be repaired with a plug?
Road riders don't need to worry too much about damaging their rims, damaging the rim seal area. But offroad riders do fairly often.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 06:31 AM   #70858
TRAVELGUY
Old Traveler

Oddometer: 615
Front tubes can be used in rear so I will carry a front tube for that emergency.

TravelGuy

Quote:
Just a question: If you get a flat out in the bush and the tubeless tire comes off the bead, how do you plan to get it back on?
DR650 '07
TRAVELGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 06:37 AM   #70859
TRAVELGUY
Old Traveler

Oddometer: 615
You are correct.

TravelGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierra Thumper View Post
What I'm wondering is how you can tighten loose spokes as they develop if you seal the nipple? It seems like as soon as you turn the nipple to tighten up the spokes you'll break the seal...then I guess you pull the tire and go back in and reseal?
DR650 '07
TRAVELGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 06:40 AM   #70860
psmcd
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 893
springs & damper

Quote:
Originally Posted by felixblack1 View Post
what do you set the MSC at in the sand? i found the steering damper great at high speed gravel roads but when I hit the sand it stuffed my riding and I ended up turning it off.
Felix, have you already dialed in your suspension?
I'm just getting acquainted with my DR and encountered some near spiritual high speed wobble on gravel. Definite wake up and get it right or slow down call. Made me think about a steering damper but then thinking more says get the spring rates and dampening right, front and rear, before fiddling with the steering. I haven't made the changes yet but will be installing heavier springs and emulators at the front and an Ohlins with heavier spring at rear. After working that out I'll evaluate need for steering damper. Dollar and overall performance return should be far greater following this sequence.
psmcd is offline   Reply With Quote