Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-16-2012, 01:25 PM   #71206
TRAVELGUY
Old Traveler

Oddometer: 521
Yes same guy. Dave and his DR are alive and well, one of the nicest guys I have ever meet.. I road his bike a few months ago when we got together at the Hubb Rally in North Carolina, he posted being there and asked where the other DR riders where, we were the only two. It was a shake down trip for his bike of 700 miles each way. I only had a 350 mile ride to get there. I was impressed with his modifications. He rode mine and seems to be equally impressed. We went, as far as modifications, in different directions to reach a similar goal. I used stock forks with Ricor valves and a Procycle rear shock, Suzuki lowering option, and staying with a stock carb. You have read his build so you know what he did. My subframe is not gusseted. After seeing his luggage I feel he made the ride move to gusset, he and I have always over packed, but I am starting to try and travel lighter, may not succeed in being as light as I would like. Although I have a new Procycle TM40 still new in box Dave said after riding my bike that I should not go to the trouble of changing my stock carb because there would not be that much change in performance. My DR does seem to run exceptionally well, not sure why. I did like the quick response of his TM40 when riding his bike.

My reasoning or motivation for staying as stock as possible is if I need replacement parts during my travels they should be easier to obtain. In all my travels I have never had bike problems, not even a flat tire, but feel the odds are against that happening forever so I over prep and carry spares.

So yes Dave is alive and well and hopefully will do his trip to South America in the near future.

TravelGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Was that the guy with a garage full of Ferrari's, Maserati's and Porsche's ? What ever happened to his S. America ride? Did he ever go? Did he stick with his DR650?

I told him I thought he didn't need to gusset the frame ... as very few DR's (even over loaded) had ever cracked. On the last update I recall, he was trying to figure out Ohlins forks and some other over kill, high dollar items. ... but I think that was over a year ago now?
DR650 '07
TRAVELGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 01:31 PM   #71207
johnkol
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feelers View Post
So, the high amplitude resonant frequency vibrations/oscillations happen mainly on dirt?
Nothing to do with the environment; it depends solely on the impact forces.

Quote:
So, they are not RPM dependent?
Nothing to do with the motor; motor forces are longitudinal, frame flex is mainly along the transverse plane.

Quote:
They must be dependent on evenly spaced bumps then - like a washboarded road...
No. Again, the forces from a washboard road are along the longitudinal plane, you need transverse forces to excite frame resonances.

Quote:
The seam thing is fully suspension related as the tire is airborne for a split second during the drop.
Picture a seam without any height difference between the left and right planes; suspension is not involved.

Quote:
And riding on a seam is hardly enough force to flex a frame.
I could start expounding on the physics of sharp impacts, Fourier transforms, low pass filters, and resonant frequencies, but something tells me that you're not really posing these questions in order to learn anything new.
johnkol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 01:42 PM   #71208
neo1piv014
ADV in training

Oddometer: 618
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Could be grounding intermittently, or shorting somehow.
This can be a tough thing to diagnose. If its not the clutch cut out plug, side stand cut out mechanism or Kill switch ... then it could be either your ignitor (pick up coil) or Stator. (god forbid) The Ignitor has gone South on a few DR650's, not expensive. Stator failure is more rare ... but expensive if that is your problem. Banish the thought. Beyond that ... no clue here.

53,000 miles is very impressive ... and tells me someone took reasonable care of your bike. But no bike likes to SIT. Marvel Mystery Oil and Stabil in fuel is a must do for storage. Your bike will run like new ... even after sitting for a year. (battery on Battery Tender of course ... I have 4)

Wait till the harvest is over ... then take your time and go through the thing. You'll get it.

I've put Highway 36 up for my "Best Road in America" many times. So far, nothing I've ever ridden comes close.
The stator and pickup coil really aren't that difficult to replace. Including the oil, filter, and parts, I replaced the pickup coil for <$100. A new 250 watt stator from Procycle is around $250 (if I remember correctly). Out of all the things that could go wrong on your bike, those really aren't that tragic. The sidestand could be giving you problems on the highway because of the greater force applied by that wind speed. If the spring is weak after all those miles, maybe the wind is blowing it down just enough to take pressure off that switch. I'm not sure how feasible that is, but it's worth checking.
"The impossible often has a kind of integrity which the merely improbable lacks."
neo1piv014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 01:50 PM   #71209
MikeyP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnkol View Post
... but something tells me that you're not really posing these questions in order to learn anything new.
I have to say John, I'm applauding your not losing patience as everyone tries to change your mind or offer suggestions, but I wonder why you're here. You've had the DR for a while, hate it, don't seem interested (to me anyway) in hearing suggestions about how you might be able to improve it, and are actively looking for a new bike. What are you hoping to get out of participating in this thread? To paraphrase your statement, it doesn't seem like you're here to learn anything new. Not trying to be a jerk, but as this goes on I'm becoming curious.
MikeyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 01:55 PM   #71210
MikeyP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
And I should say that as someone who enjoys learning, regardless of who is right or wrong, I've been enjoying this discussion because I know nothing about frame flex properties.
MikeyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 02:06 PM   #71211
Escaped
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 392
Kinda reminds me of the guy who started the tread on how much better a husky is than a DR650. OK go ahead and buy a husky, but I and many others are very happy with the DR650.

At some point it become like trying to argue politics or religion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyP View Post
I have to say John, I'm applauding your not losing patience as everyone tries to change your mind or offer suggestions, but I wonder why you're here. You've had the DR for a while, hate it, don't seem interested (to me anyway) in hearing suggestions about how you might be able to improve it, and are actively looking for a new bike. What are you hoping to get out of participating in this thread? To paraphrase your statement, it doesn't seem like you're here to learn anything new. Not trying to be a jerk, but as this goes on I'm becoming curious.

DR650 - Living the Dream!
Escaped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 02:13 PM   #71212
joefromsf
Dark Happens

Oddometer: 1,375
Quote:
Originally Posted by DowDuer View Post
Hello,
Starting about a month ago my DR began backfiring while cruising down the highway. This was happening between 50-60 mph. When it backfires the engine seems to stop and then bump start itself to life again. Now it is happening mostly from 60-70. The engine does not die if I pop the clutch and pull onto the shoulder but it does not have a any power for a second or two after the backfire and the bike decelerates rapidly. These backfires sometimes come in sets.

The bike is an 2002 with ~53,000 miles on it. K&N airfilter, stock air box/muffler. California model with extra hoses and junk. I do have an aftermarket milk crate on the back but I do not believe that is the source of the problem. I warm up the bike before riding. Air temps have been between 30-60 F with fog on some days. Damp weather seems to help.

Oh, and the clutch is slipping sometimes, so I changed the oil to 20W50 and leave a light bulb under the bike so it will start in the morning. Also oil leaks from front of engine at the head gasket and base plate. I have been working the Olive harvest and have not had time to do serious maintenance in a while.

I have cleaned the air filter, sprayed carb cleaner into the carb, run Gumout and Berrymans in the fuel. Tried different gas stations with different fuels. I also sprayed the carb cleaner on the outside of the boots while the bike was running to see if there was a leak. Doing all of these seemed to have a placebo like effect, bike runs good in the morning and bad on the trip home from work.

Anyone have any ideas? I did a search and the other posts did not seem to be the same issue.

Dow
As already mentioned, it could be the pickup coil.

Another possibility is vapor lock. Stock or aftermarket gas tank?

We can't crash an infinite amount of times, so you better learn from every one! (by ARZ)
joefromsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 02:22 PM   #71213
Richguzzi
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Quote:
Nothing to do with the motor; motor forces are longitudinal, frame flex is mainly along the transverse plane.
No. Again, the forces from a washboard road are along the longitudinal plane, you need transverse forces to excite frame resonances. Picture a seam without any height difference between the left and right planes; suspension is not involved. I could start expounding on the physics of sharp impacts, Fourier transforms, low pass filters, and resonant frequencies, but something tells me that you're not really posing these questions in order to learn anything new.
Oh big words, getting dizzy and sleepy, must get air, brain seems to be shutting down better go take a ride before head explodes... too much information....too much
Wait wait, what was this about exciting frame resonances?

Slow old grey haired guys with arthritis and other ailments rule!
Richguzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 02:28 PM   #71214
Timan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 270
Stock petcock question

Did the search once again and didn't find a clear answer. I'm bringing a '04 back to life after it sat for couple years and have an issue (I think) with the petcock. It's a stock tank, petcock, and carb. I had the tank off for about week stored in my trailer. When I went to reinstall it had obviously leaked about 1/2 cup of gas in my trailer. Will the float system prevent gas from entering the crankcase? Is the petcock rebuildable or am I better off to replace with the Raptor? petcock I read about? If I do the Raptor deal, do I have to modify anything else? Is the Raptor a m/c model or is Raptor an aftermarket part like Pingel?
Timan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 02:48 PM   #71215
neo1piv014
ADV in training

Oddometer: 618
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timan View Post
Did the search once again and didn't find a clear answer. I'm bringing a '04 back to life after it sat for couple years and have an issue (I think) with the petcock. It's a stock tank, petcock, and carb. I had the tank off for about week stored in my trailer. When I went to reinstall it had obviously leaked about 1/2 cup of gas in my trailer. Will the float system prevent gas from entering the crankcase? Is the petcock rebuildable or am I better off to replace with the Raptor? petcock I read about? If I do the Raptor deal, do I have to modify anything else? Is the Raptor a m/c model or is Raptor an aftermarket part like Pingel?
If you're living in Should-land, the carb float should prevent the gas from entering the crankcase. The upside to the stock petcock is that it's vacuum operated, so if there's no vacuum being drawn, it won't flow fuel. Now, since yours is clearly not on board with that plan, you're counting on the float to keep things in check. For as cheap as the raptor petcock is, I'm not sure rebuilding the stock one is worth it. If you do the raptor deal, you just need to make sure you set it to off when you're parked as it will constantly try to flow fuel. I have this petcock, and as much as I forget to do that, the float has worked just fine.
"The impossible often has a kind of integrity which the merely improbable lacks."
neo1piv014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 03:27 PM   #71216
P-P
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
That's the best plug reading guide I've ever seen! Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongle View Post
Plug reading can be hard. You need to look down inside the plug at the porcelain where it meets the metal base. That is where you read the color for fuel mixture. And, I have seen some newer fuel additives make this almost impossible to do just from the additives giving the porcelain color. Oil burning can give false readings as well.

Also, you will only be reading the fuel mixture where you shut the engine off. If you shut it off at idle then that is all you will be reading. If you want to read mixture at wide open you need to do a wide open pull- chop throttle then shut engine off. Pull the plug before you start the bike back up.

And look at how many threads are showing heat (for heat range). Should be 3-5 threads showing heat. More threads with heat means you need a colder plug. Only 1-2 threads showing heat you need a hotter plug.

Here, this should make it all clear as mud! Good luck!
Old 11-16-2012, 03:50 PM   #71217
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,068
There's no rebound adjustment on the stock DR shock...except changing the oil weight. That can have it's drawbacks too though.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 07:23 PM   #71218
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,991
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timan View Post
The Raptor petcock is a Yamaha Raptor ATV, I think. And it's about 1/3 the cost of a Pingel.

There are two possible leaks in the BST, one being the needle and seat. The other is the larger o-ring on the float assembly. If either one leaks, you could fill your airbox and crankcase with fuel. Add the possibility of me leaving the petcock on for two or three days is probably 100%. The stock petcock is rather expensive but the chances are that yours only needs to be cleaned out.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 07:27 PM   #71219
shu

Oddometer: 902
Quote:
Originally Posted by DowDuer View Post
Hello,
Starting about a month ago my DR began backfiring while cruising down the highway. This was happening between 50-60 mph. When it backfires the engine seems to stop and then bump start itself to life again. Now it is happening mostly from 60-70. The engine does not die if I pop the clutch and pull onto the shoulder but it does not have a any power for a second or two after the backfire and the bike decelerates rapidly. These backfires sometimes come in sets.
Quote:
Originally Posted by joefromsf View Post
Another possibility is vapor lock. Stock or aftermarket gas tank?
Good thinking here. My DR behaves in a similar manner when the IMS tank locking gas cap vent gets plugged. (Procycle says to fix it by poking a hole in the rubber disk under the green plastic piece. I've done that and it works for a while, but needs poking with an ice pick every now and then to keep the hole open).

[I]Originally Posted by procycle:
The locking cap has a small rubber disk inside it that acts as a one way valve so fuel doesn't splash out through the internal vent. You can access the disk by removing the rubber gasket and unscrewing the green plastic piece inside the cap. Take a sharp pointed pick and poke a tiny hole in the disk and you will solve the venting issues. The hole should be barely more than a pinhole. If you make the hole too big you might have a small amount of fuel spillage in a tipover.[/I]

Another possibility is the small filter on the breather from the carb. Mine had a tiny piece of rag sucked in there and had similar symptoms to what you describe.

Both of these would be easy to check out.

................shu
shu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 07:34 PM   #71220
PPCLI-Jim
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 223
Eek

Quote:
And then I hop on the DR and I am transported twenty years back to a place I really don't want to revisit; been there, done that, I want something more.
OK Johnkol get rid of the DR and get something else . No one is stopping you,from doing that. I like a few others are wondering what you are trying to really say . Is it you don't like your DR 650 , but you have said it's a good solid bike in stock form as long as your not pressing it.You like the other bikes you have owned, fine. Go ride them I thought this forum thread was intended for the free transmission of information about the DR 650. If your really interested in riding another bike go to it. Don't let us stop you. While there has been some back and forth about ideas and fixes I really see no end game for you (JMHO). I mean your calling it down by piece from the frame, suspension and motor. If your that bummed out about it, get rid of it get the bike you want and join that thread of the bike you own. For a bike that was developed about 20 yrs ago I and others think it's a great bike. NO bike stock will ever be 100 % its all a matter of preference. If you want a KTM, BMW, Yamaha Honda ETC., get one but there will always be something someone else will add on or modify on it. Thats what I learned when i started riding in the early 70's. If you buy something that was designed 20 yrs ago yes it will be showing flaws in comparison to newer models. I remember my YZ 125 A geez was it a beast didnt know it at the time but now forget about it. I also remember when works bike didn't have 38 mm forks or over 6 inches of travel. now a days its tough to find a bike that doesn't have 8 " of single shocked rear suspension and at least 40 mm front tubes. It's all comparative after reading your posts throughout the thread I am still left shaking my head as to why you still have it, or if you dont have it why you kept it longer then a week.. my 2 cents peace out

http://www.youtube.com/user/spudhead/videos?view=0 my youtube channel
PPCLI-Jim is offline   Reply With Quote