Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-19-2012, 01:11 PM   #71311
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve in Santa Fe View Post
Greetings all,

I am looking at a 2005 DR 650 that has 24,000 miles. (Mostly highway as a commuter).
The guy has full records and the bike looks well cared for.

Question: IS 24K high mileage for a DR 650 engine that has been maintained?
(I have an old BMW Boxer, where 24K is barely broken in, so my thinking may be off.

Thanks,
Steve
Depends on the PO. If I was the PO you'd be looking at needing a top end by 24K. Hopefully your PO didn't ride like I do

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:14 PM   #71312
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by neo1piv014 View Post
I run mine 28/30 and they haven't given me any grief yet. If you pump them up to street tire pressures, they handle dang good on the road, and I don't even bother airing them down when I go off road. You'd be surprised how little off road ability they lose when you don't air them down.
But if you do air them down (20f/18r) they go even better off road.
NordieBoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 02:33 PM   #71313
bradrh
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by psmcd View Post
Did you ever consider your head is now too big for your neck? As you age and spend more time sitting, the neck/noggin ratio diminishes, skewing everything you think you know.
And this can be compounded with some folks who get a little knowledge & their head swells up, then they get stubborn thinking they know everything & quit listening to other reasonable folks & pretty soon they just look like stubborn old swollen headed fools
Old 11-19-2012, 02:52 PM   #71314
neo1piv014
ADV in training

Oddometer: 618
Quote:
Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
But if you do air them down (20f/18r) they go even better off road.
I'd imagine so. Our offroad sections around my house are an odd combo of either hard packed dirt road that most street tires are pretty stable on or soft, deep sand. If I was headed out to the mesa for an afternoon in the desert, I'd probably air them down then for the extra grip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
Depends on the PO. If I was the PO you'd be looking at needing a top end by 24K. Hopefully your PO didn't ride like I do
So you're saying that the PO may have provided him with an excuse to install a big bore cylinder?
"The impossible often has a kind of integrity which the merely improbable lacks."
neo1piv014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 05:38 PM   #71315
bradrh
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 339
520 or 525 chain & sprockets

It sounds like people have converted to 520 chain/sprockets without any issues? Anybody have premature wear or breakage issues? What do other 650 class thumpers use? I'm due for new & am thinking about making the switch.
Old 11-19-2012, 05:47 PM   #71316
johnkol
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kommando View Post
So, the DR frame flexes horribly when riding down a seam? Well, I haven't ridden/driven anything yet that didn't feel different when cruising down a seam in the pavement, from a tricycle to a 5-ton military tactical vehicle. My advice? Stop cruising down seams. Who does that? Move to the left or right 6".
I was talking about crossing a seam at a shallow angle. I can do that in my puny 15-lb road bike and the bike feels solid as a rock. I can ride uneven ruts with my KTM and the bike goes straight as an arrow without any dramas. I've never had any four-wheeled vehicle that was affected by seams.

I can only speculate that you are thinking of something completely different?
johnkol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:26 PM   #71317
DRT
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by opium89 View Post
Inmates,

I need to get my hands on a 09917-23711 ring nut socket by next Friday. Son is flying in to town to help with a full rebuild and cannot locate this tool anywhere. Will be happy to purchase used if you have one you're no longer using, or would even be happy to rent it from you if you'll take a deposit + shipping from me for the trouble. Please get in touch if you have it.

By the by, anyone know the actual diamter of the socket? It's not the same part number as the ring nut on the steering head. If I can size it, I might be able to find a generic version elsewhere.

Thanks!

I am also interested in the dimensions of the ring nut. I believe you can make one by starting with a large socket and doing some machine work. does anybody know what size socket to start with, or what the diameter of the ring nut socket is?
DRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:48 PM   #71318
smilin jack
Grandpa Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,221
Brake light wires

Quote:
Another quick question:
There's two wires (black and black w/ red stripe) that split out from the wiring harness about 4/5 of the way up to the handlebar assembly. These plug-in right near the throttle and are on spade type connectors. Can anyone tell me what these are for?
Those wires hook onto the front brake master... and turn on the rear brake (FIXED) LIGHT when you apply the front brake. The rear brake switch does the same brake light... two ways to turn on the brake light.

Thanks for fixing my omission.

Dave

smilin jack screwed with this post 11-20-2012 at 06:35 PM
smilin jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:59 PM   #71319
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,579
Quote:
Originally Posted by smilin jack View Post
and turn on the rear brake light when you apply the front brake. The rear brake switch does the same brake light... two ways to turn on the brake light.
Fixed. This is not a BMW with linked brakes we're talking about.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:05 PM   #71320
smilin jack
Grandpa Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,221
Kill switch

Quote:
I've been having problems getting the bike to start, so I took the starter/kill switch assembly off the bars and decided to clean it. As soon as I popped the kill switch out, it basically disintegrated on me. I guess 12 year old plastic doesn't hold up very well to the New Mexico desert and sun. I never actually used the damn thing because it always stuck closed, so I'm just planning on leaving it off the bike entirely and sealing up the hole with a piece of rubber or something. My questions:
1. Is this okay to do?
2. When I de-solder the orange wires going to the kill switch, do I need to solder them together and make a connection or keep them separated so they cannot make a connection?
3. Anyone else done this before?
4. Why are there 6 wires on one end of the wiring loom and 7 on the other end?

Thanks!
Had my kill switch opened for a repair last month. First link shows pictures.

http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....ostcount=70736

This second link has a link to the kill switch repair/change to momentary contact kill.

http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....ostcount=70791

The two wires to the kill switch have to make contact (complete the circuit) for the engine to run. When you push the kill switch, it breaks the circuit and no power gets thru to power the ignition.

Look at my pictures of the wiring harness going to the kill switch. I removed the plastic sheath and found lots of wires. Some joined together inside the sheath, making for more coming out one end than going in the front. I soldered the crimp connectors in the middle that were loose and taped them up and put the sheath back on with another sheath over that. It rains all winter in Oregon.

Hope that helps your kill switch.

Dave
smilin jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:26 PM   #71321
Tech23
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 458
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
Fixed. This is not a BMW with linked brakes we're talking about.
I was going to make the same reply...lol. Also the wires attach to a separate replaceable micro switch mounted underneath the master cylinder...not the master cylinder itself. You should hear an audible click from the switch when you pull the brake lever. You are correct no electronic linked braking system on the DR. Maybe next year when it gets a new purple frame to go with the new grey color scheme.

Tech23

2000 Harley Davidson FXDWG
2011 Victory Cross Country
Tech23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:45 PM   #71322
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,584
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradrh View Post
It sounds like people have converted to 520 chain/sprockets without any issues? Anybody have premature wear or breakage issues? What do other 650 class thumpers use? I'm due for new & am thinking about making the switch.
There are more sprocket choices available for the 520 chain and I think 520 chain is easier to find in other countries. The 520 won't match the mileage of an equal quality 525, but that wouldn't be considered premature wear. Since I can find the sprocket combo I like, I'm staying with the 525.

I would run a 520 set before I'd run a 13t front sprocket for extended distances. IIRC, those using a 13t have no choice but a 520 sprocket.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:45 PM   #71323
neo1piv014
ADV in training

Oddometer: 618
Quote:
Those wires hook onto the front brake master... and turn on the rear brake when you apply the front brake. The rear brake switch does the same brake light... two ways to turn on the brake light.

Dave
Cool. Thanks for the info [and everyone who responded with the missing word added back in]. I just noticed that one of the wires was a little loose, and I wanted to make sure my bike wasn't going to shut off if that wiggled off on the highway.

Quote:
Had my kill switch opened for a repair last month. First link shows pictures.

http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....ostcount=70736

This second link has a link to the kill switch repair/change to momentary contact kill.

http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....ostcount=70791

The two wires to the kill switch have to make contact (complete the circuit) for the engine to run. When you push the kill switch, it breaks the circuit and no power gets thru to power the ignition.

Look at my pictures of the wiring harness going to the kill switch. I removed the plastic sheath and found lots of wires. Some joined together inside the sheath, making for more coming out one end than going in the front. I soldered the crimp connectors in the middle that were loose and taped them up and put the sheath back on with another sheath over that. It rains all winter in Oregon.

Hope that helps your kill switch.

Dave
Right now, I have the wires twisted together and hidden under a bunch of electrical tape until I can run over to Radio Shack and pick up a cheap switch. I don't want to get another "click in/click out" type switch. I'm just going to get a regular toggle type switch. Massive thanks to everyone for being knowledgeable in a pinch.
"The impossible often has a kind of integrity which the merely improbable lacks."
neo1piv014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:09 PM   #71324
P-P
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
The problem is that NOBODY, once again, NOBODY else feels what you do, except me when my swingarm bushings were destroyed. We all have riden other rigs - even the same ones you have, yet nobody has the same experience. This seems to indicate that you have a DIFFERENT DR650 than the rest of us. Using LOGIC this is what the obvious answer is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnkol View Post
I was talking about crossing a seam at a shallow angle. I can do that in my puny 15-lb road bike and the bike feels solid as a rock. I can ride uneven ruts with my KTM and the bike goes straight as an arrow without any dramas. I've never had any four-wheeled vehicle that was affected by seams.

I can only speculate that you are thinking of something completely different?
Old 11-19-2012, 08:20 PM   #71325
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,584
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve in Santa Fe View Post
Greetings all, I am looking at a 2005 DR 650 that has 24,000 miles. (Mostly highway as a commuter).
The guy has full records and the bike looks well cared for.
Question: IS 24K high mileage for a DR 650 engine that has been maintained?
(I have an old BMW Boxer, where 24K is barely broken in, so my thinking may be off.)
Thanks, Steve
If you look closely for touched up paint chips, dinged frame rails under the engine (maybe hidden by a new skidplate), scuffed brush gaurds, headlight cowling, lever ends & mirrors, weird fitting replacement nuts and bolts, etc, abuse can be found. It sounds like a nice bike if it was a commuter, but it should be priced low for your area. 24k is no spring chicken.

Mine just turned 42,400 and runs like a top (because I ride it like I want it to last). I'm a believer in full synthetic motor oil (Mobil 1 15w-50 automotive at 3500 miles, in my case )

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote