Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2012, 11:03 AM   #71641
Feelers
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnt Toast View Post
Has anyone here experimented with this? It looks pretty interesting and I'm considering taking a shot at it. (After I get my front suspension sorted so it will handle better, or any, braking).
The orientation of the cylinders is pretty irrelevant - cross vs radial. Hydraulics aren't going to care about orientation, and the primary difference will be in the mechanical advantage of the user due to different leverages and forces. The primary differences are pivot length and bore size, and I'm pretty sure that retrofits from a bike with a cross-pump configuration with a shorter pivot length and larger bore would result in the exact same "feel" and braking power as these amazing new tech radial pump units. And, a retrofit would probably be 1/3 the cost.
Feelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:16 AM   #71642
PPCLI-Jim
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyP View Post
I'm just the opposite. One of the things I found handy about them is that because you can reposition them so easily on the fly that if I'm going over varying terrain where I might be sitting and standing equally often, I'll position one so that I can see behind me while I'm standing and the other for rear vision while sitting. This came in pretty handy for me when a group I was riding with had radio/sand/mechnical troubles and we really needed to keep each other in sight. Even when we weren't having troubles, if I was in the lead and standing I found it pretty handy to be able to glance down occasionally to make sure I saw someone not too far behind me.

I tried three other variants of the motor traditional mirror and the doubletake are vastly superior in my opinion.

I agree, I tried the stock , after market rectangular, a different folding design that was ok , but I prefer the Double Take. I have laid my DR down a few times since getting them and they have never failed to relocate themselves when it happens but they will still hold position when cruising down the road at ludicrius speed .

http://www.youtube.com/user/spudhead/videos?view=0 my youtube channel

PPCLI-Jim screwed with this post 12-05-2012 at 11:18 AM Reason: The english teacher leaning over my shoulder...
PPCLI-Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 12:07 PM   #71643
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenYork View Post
Hello.

I am hoping that there is a simple answer to this, but my google-fu is not strong today. Been looking for over an hour. So here is my issue.

I have stock bars. I want to replace them, while at the same time installing HDB handguards etc. I would like 1 1/8 bars, but cannot figure out how much of a pain in the ass it will be to put all the stock controls back on to a 1 1/8 bar. I would like to get a ProTaper contour bar. I know that some bars are 1 1/8 at the middle, and taper down on the ends to fit stock controls.

SO. If I order a contour bar (1 1/8) from Paul, will I be fuckered when I try to put my stock controls on? If so is there an easy way to adapt controls?

I am sure this has been addressed someplace, I appreciate your patience.

BEN
As mentioned ... Pro Taper bars "Taper" at the grip ends so controls fit on OK. What you DO need to be aware of is your Bark Busters. Make sure they are for 1-1/8 bars. Where they clamp sometimes is on the Fat area, sometimes more on the thinner area. It's nice to have hand guards with some adjustability built into design.
My cheapo TUSK hand guards are good in this way ... but aren't that strong compared to premium brands. But only $40 or so ... instead of $100.

When going to a Fat bar you probably will end up with a Riser/adapter to fit the 1 -1/8" clamp onto stock cradle (for a 7/8" bar). Make sense? I bought the Pro Taper adapter which provides about a one inch rise over stock. You can go higher if you want with other "risers".

Pro Tapers before Bark Busters installed. Everything fits.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 12:59 PM   #71644
BergDonk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,065
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feelers View Post
The orientation of the cylinders is pretty irrelevant - cross vs radial. Hydraulics aren't going to care about orientation, and the primary difference will be in the mechanical advantage of the user due to different leverages and forces. The primary differences are pivot length and bore size, and I'm pretty sure that retrofits from a bike with a cross-pump configuration with a shorter pivot length and larger bore would result in the exact same "feel" and braking power as these amazing new tech radial pump units. And, a retrofit would probably be 1/3 the cost.
Agreed. Bit like the 11 mm KTM/Brembo unit I fitted from the wreckers via eBay for $50. Well worth it, a definite improvement in feel and controllability, but no change in absolute power.
Old 12-05-2012, 01:16 PM   #71645
dogjaw
plays well alone

Oddometer: 2,772
Quote:
Originally Posted by macrae85 View Post
What make of disc is that?
19" is that way to go,the happy medium between road and dirt!
Tis a Galfer from Kientech; stops the DR like a champ...
Old 12-05-2012, 06:43 PM   #71646
opium89
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,136
Bearing and Clip?

Can someone tell me what function this bearing serves? This is the stator/generator cover......

For some background, this was a grenaded 1999 engine. I have replaced the bottom end and was forced to buy the stator cover new. The parts fiche listed this bearing and a clip (28 and 29 below) that fits in the cover itself in the hole where the starter shaft will reside. The inside diameter of the bearing is too small for the starter shaft to fit in. The old cover did not have the bearing installed, but it was also missing a few other things due to an attempted and failed repair. Help me solve this little mystery and it should be running again by the weekend.

Old 12-05-2012, 07:49 PM   #71647
TrophyHunter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,912
Grifter - Did the adjustable Tusk handguard mounts fit your bars? I have tapered bars and the mounts won't fit around the "still tapering" section. They have mounts for larger bars but they don't have adjustment...plus it adds to the cost. I used some old large bar mounts I had laying around for the time being.

I like the adjustability of the standard Tusk mounts so I'll grind 'em out when I set time aside. I could use longer screws but the contact points 'tween the mount and the bar would be minimal.

"It's a small amount of gas, but it represents a long walk" My Dad...
TrophyHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:52 PM   #71648
Davis53
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by opium89 View Post
Can someone tell me what function this bearing serves? This is the stator/generator cover......

For some background, this was a grenaded 1999 engine. I have replaced the bottom end and was forced to buy the stator cover new. The parts fiche listed this bearing and a clip (28 and 29 below) that fits in the cover itself in the hole where the starter shaft will reside. The inside diameter of the bearing is too small for the starter shaft to fit in. The old cover did not have the bearing installed, but it was also missing a few other things due to an attempted and failed repair. Help me solve this little mystery and it should be running again by the weekend.
I think it is the support bearing for the starter shaft and gear. Yes, you need it.
R90/6
TW200
KTM300EXC
KDX200
Davis53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:08 PM   #71649
Chill
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 231
Quote:

I think (and this is a bit of a guess) that it is something to do with the starter motor. It lines up with the starter motor so I would presume that it supports the pinion gear that is driven by the starter.
Chill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:19 PM   #71650
opium89
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis53 View Post
I think it is the support bearing for the starter shaft and gear. Yes, you need it.
How is it going to support anything if the starter shaft is bigger on the outside diameter than the inside diameter of the bearing? It's either going to prevent the starter shaft from going in that slot on the cover, or it's going to run right up against the inside race of the bearing. This really isn't making much sense to me at the moment. The inside diameter of that bearing is just a hair under 12mm. The starter shaft is 14mm. Quite simply, it ain't gonna fit! I also just confirmed that the part numbers for a 1999 and 2000 are the same. Lists the bearing as 12x28x8.

Here's something that's a bit odd...the breakdown of the starter in the parts fiche shows that it has a bit of a tip....If the starter actually had that tip, and it was 12mm, the bearing would make perfect sense. In my case, the end of the starter is completely flat and ends at the splines...like so:

UPDATE: I just fitted the new bushing and starter clutch next the the starter shaft. The starter shaft doesn't even exceed the width of the clutch. My verdict is this bearing and clip are COMPLETELY unnecessary. Does anyone disagree?

opium89 screwed with this post 12-05-2012 at 08:41 PM
opium89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:34 PM   #71651
procycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,162
Quote:
This really isn't making much sense to me at the moment.
The bearing only applies to early models. I think 96 and 97. Early models had a starter with a longer shaft that was machined to fit the bearing. Somewhere along the way Suzuki apparently decided it wasn't needed. Current models have a short starter shaft but the cover still has an empty pocket machined for the bearing.
TurboDiesel Corvette - go to the end to start at the beginning
procycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:45 PM   #71652
opium89
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by procycle View Post
The bearing only applies to early models. I think 96 and 97. Early models had a starter with a longer shaft that was machined to fit the bearing. Somewhere along the way Suzuki apparently decided it wasn't needed. Current models have a short starter shaft but the cover still has an empty pocket machined for the bearing.
Makes more sense. I wish they would at least update the damn parts fiche. These parts all being special order and all. Oh well, what's $15.00 between (Suzuki dealers) friends, right? Thanks for the info.
Old 12-05-2012, 09:11 PM   #71653
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrophyHunter View Post
Grifter - Did the adjustable Tusk handguard mounts fit your bars? I have tapered bars and the mounts won't fit around the "still tapering" section. They have mounts for larger bars but they don't have adjustment...plus it adds to the cost. I used some old large bar mounts I had laying around for the time being.

I like the adjustability of the standard Tusk mounts so I'll grind 'em out when I set time aside. I could use longer screws but the contact points 'tween the mount and the bar would be minimal.
I used my Dremel to make them fit. I did not have the Fat Bar Tusk kit so just ground out the standard kit a bit. You know most Bark busters never are a pristine fit on a tapering fat bar anyway. You have to kind of improvise it. Mine have been pretty good. Here is a pic:

Lots of adjustment.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 02:20 AM   #71654
TrophyHunter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,912
Thx for the verification, Grifter. I'll keep grinding..... :)

"It's a small amount of gas, but it represents a long walk" My Dad...
TrophyHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 03:10 AM   #71655
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,965
Quote:
Originally Posted by procycle View Post
So, just for the record, if my 96 needs a starter, can I use the newer short shaft version?
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote