ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-08-2012, 01:06 PM   #71701
jhomc1300
Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Hanover, MN
Oddometer: 12
Clutch basket nut

Sorry to have bothered everyone. I went to the parts diagram, then went to the shop, and found the missing washer, now it works fine. The bike is a 2008 with 6000 miles and the NSU screws came loose with only very minimal pressure. Thanks again.
jhomc1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 04:15 PM   #71702
blk-betty
bam-a-lam
 
blk-betty's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Charleston, SC
Oddometer: 2,353
Broken Header Pipe - Only 6K miles

'09 DR650 just turned 6K miles today and about 20 miles from home exhaust got a little bit louder. About 10 miles got a whole lot louder. Figured it was a crack somewhere on the head pipe as that where the sound was coming from.

Thought about stopping and worried a little about doing engine damage but had no other way to get home so babied it the last 10 miles.

WTF! The head pipe is broken clean off at the flange where it bolts up and there is about 1/2" gap 360 degrees, actually looks like someone cut it off with a rough blade hacksaw.

Is this a common occurence?

Only motor mods are opened up breather box with DT-1 air filter, Pro-Cycle jet kit, and GSXR1000 muffler with Kientech mid-pipe on OEM header.

Anyone have a spare oem header or is there a better option.
__________________
Any day on a dirt road is a great day
blk-betty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 04:26 PM   #71703
suguzzi
Greybeard
 
suguzzi's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: Kenilworth, UT
Oddometer: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by blk-betty View Post
'09 DR650 just turned 6K miles today and about 20 miles from home exhaust got a little bit louder. About 10 miles got a whole lot louder. Figured it was a crack somewhere on the head pipe as that where the sound was coming from.

Thought about stopping and worried a little about doing engine damage but had no other way to get home so babied it the last 10 miles.

WTF! The head pipe is broken clean off at the flange where it bolts up and there is about 1/2" gap 360 degrees, actually looks like someone cut it off with a rough blade hacksaw.

Is this a common occurence?

Only motor mods are opened up breather box with DT-1 air filter, Pro-Cycle jet kit, and GSXR1000 muffler with Kientech mid-pipe on OEM header.

Anyone have a spare oem header or is there a better option.
Sounds to me like someone got over zealous grinding the internal header weld. You can go too far!

suguzzi screwed with this post 12-08-2012 at 04:28 PM Reason: spelling
suguzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 04:28 PM   #71704
aardschok
Fallout Rider
 
aardschok's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: State of Apathy
Oddometer: 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunthechip View Post
Yeah... I'll paint it myself - I'm not paying $40 for a piece of tape

Or if anyone has one that they havent used, I'll take that. I'll give you a fair price
You might could check with a sign shop for a piece of white vinyl for a few pennies. That's what I did for added colour to my helmet. Counter person says "I don't know what to charge for a 6" square piece of scrap, just buy something here next time you need a sign."
__________________
"When you have to shoot...Shoot! Don't talk."


MVT
aardschok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 04:38 PM   #71705
blk-betty
bam-a-lam
 
blk-betty's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Charleston, SC
Oddometer: 2,353
Quote:
Originally Posted by suguzzi View Post
Sounds to me like someone got over zealous grinding the internal header weld. You can go too far!
Know nothing about machining. Are those welds "cleaned up" by hand or is it all mechanized?
__________________
Any day on a dirt road is a great day
blk-betty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 04:40 PM   #71706
planemanx15
Beastly Adventurer
 
planemanx15's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Long Island, NY
Oddometer: 1,009
Finished installing my hayabusa muffler today and went out for a test ride. At 60 I pegged the throttle and the bike bogged down. I assume I need to go one higher on my Main jet? I have a tm-40 from procycle and it came with a bunch of jets. My air box is cut. I went from cut air box and stock muffler to cut box and hayabusa muffler.
__________________
2000 Suzuki DR650-790 - 790cc Big bore build thread
1985 Yamaha CA50 - The little scooter that Could
2009 Piaggio BV-250 - Escusi, Babba be bo-bee
planemanx15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 05:04 PM   #71707
suguzzi
Greybeard
 
suguzzi's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: Kenilworth, UT
Oddometer: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by blk-betty View Post
Know nothing about machining. Are those welds "cleaned up" by hand or is it all mechanized?
When I did mine I used a die grinder with a with a carbide cone bit. If you take too much out it will leave the weld weak enough to vibrate crack. Once that starts it will break all the way around eventually. I ended up putting FMF Power bomb head pipe and Two Brothers mid pipe from Jesse at Kientech with my GSXR Can. Works great and the power bomb header has clearance at the frame down tube where the regular FMF oversize header does not. Good set up, very happy with the results.

You can grind the stock pipes' weld for somewhat more flow- which I did at first- but I really don't think it is worth the trouble for what you gain and the run the risk of going too far. I would never do it again in retrospect.
suguzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 05:07 PM   #71708
sandwash
Beastly Adventurer
 
sandwash's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Flagstaff Az
Oddometer: 1,291
Yep look here:
http://search.yahoo.com/r/_ylt=A0oG7...dy/jetting.htm
__________________
97dr650
sandwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 05:53 PM   #71709
barko1
barko1
 
barko1's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: Las Cruces, NM or thereabouts
Oddometer: 3,255
Quote:
Originally Posted by suguzzi View Post
When I did mine I used a die grinder with a with a carbide cone bit. If you take too much out it will leave the weld weak enough to vibrate crack. Once that starts it will break all the way around eventually. I ended up putting FMF Power bomb head pipe and Two Brothers mid pipe from Jesse at Kientech with my GSXR Can. Works great and the power bomb header has clearance at the frame down tube where the regular FMF oversize header does not. Good set up, very happy with the results.

You can grind the stock pipes' weld for somewhat more flow- which I did at first- but I really don't think it is worth the trouble for what you gain and the run the risk of going too far. I would never do it again in retrospect.
I ground the stocker as well, did have some ugly lumps but I can't imagine my grinding did anything noticeable. I found an oversize FMF header on fleabay and am very happy with it, fit is fine. Probably added 10 hp , not. But it does look much more macho than that puny stocker.
__________________
DR650, 98 Bimota SB6R, Kawasaki 14, 67 X-6 Scrambler (apart), SL350K1 (apart), 77 Goldwing 1000, Triumph Thunderbird Sport, Triumph Daytona Super III, DR650, MZ Skorpian Sport Cup, 71 Triumph Daytona 500, KDX220
barko1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 07:20 PM   #71710
Benduro
None more black.
 
Benduro's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: El Portal, Ca
Oddometer: 2,122
Quote:
Originally Posted by blk-betty View Post
'09 DR650 just turned 6K miles today and about 20 miles from home exhaust got a little bit louder. About 10 miles got a whole lot louder. Figured it was a crack somewhere on the head pipe as that where the sound was coming from.

Thought about stopping and worried a little about doing engine damage but had no other way to get home so babied it the last 10 miles.

WTF! The head pipe is broken clean off at the flange where it bolts up and there is about 1/2" gap 360 degrees, actually looks like someone cut it off with a rough blade hacksaw.

Is this a common occurence?

Only motor mods are opened up breather box with DT-1 air filter, Pro-Cycle jet kit, and GSXR1000 muffler with Kientech mid-pipe on OEM header.

Anyone have a spare oem header or is there a better option.

I'll have a spare stocker to send you as soon as I get the fmf powerbomb I ordered. Should only be another couple days before it gets here...
__________________
"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering." - Tom Waits
Benduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 08:49 PM   #71711
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams
 
Adv Grifter's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Passing ADV Stalkers in California
Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by suguzzi View Post
You can grind the stock pipes' weld for somewhat more flow- which I did at first- but I really don't think it is worth the trouble for what you gain and the run the risk of going too far. I would never do it again in retrospect.
I have never bought that mod as legit ... and I never did it. That's one of hottest areas on the whole engine. Also, some guys put a jack up under the header to raise the front. With a thinner header weld ... might risk it further?

But must admit ... haven't heard of any other cracked or broken exhaust flanges to to grinding down this weld. So who knows?
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 09:11 PM   #71712
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators
 
Emmbeedee's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Near Ottawa, ON, Canada
Oddometer: 9,269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
I have never bought that mod as legit ... and I never did it. That's one of hottest areas on the whole engine. Also, some guys put a jack up under the header to raise the front. With a thinner header weld ... might risk it further?

But must admit ... haven't heard of any other cracked or broken exhaust flanges to to grinding down this weld. So who knows?
A jack under the header?
__________________
Want to know more about the Garmin Montana? See the Wisdom and FAQ Thread.
Want to know more about the Garmin VIRB? See here.
"The motorcycle, being poorly designed for both flight and marine operation, sustained significant external and internal damage," police noted.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 10:39 PM   #71713
blk-betty
bam-a-lam
 
blk-betty's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Charleston, SC
Oddometer: 2,353
Quote:
Originally Posted by suguzzi View Post
When I did mine I used a die grinder with a with a carbide cone bit. If you take too much out it will leave the weld weak enough to vibrate crack. Once that starts it will break all the way around eventually. I ended up putting FMF Power bomb head pipe and Two Brothers mid pipe from Jesse at Kientech with my GSXR Can. Works great and the power bomb header has clearance at the frame down tube where the regular FMF oversize header does not. Good set up, very happy with the results.

You can grind the stock pipes' weld for somewhat more flow- which I did at first- but I really don't think it is worth the trouble for what you gain and the run the risk of going too far. I would never do it again in retrospect.
Hmmm....I seriously doubt the previous owner did any grinding. I bought the bike with 3500 miles and it was 100% stock at that time. I've not done any grinding nor have I ever removed or even touched the head pipe/flange.

I'll take some pics tomorrow and post.

Just curious as to why it would snap like that and whether or not this is a common occurrence. So far sounds like an isolated event.
__________________
Any day on a dirt road is a great day
blk-betty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 10:43 PM   #71714
blk-betty
bam-a-lam
 
blk-betty's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Charleston, SC
Oddometer: 2,353
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
That's one of hottest areas on the whole engine.

But must admit ... haven't heard of any other cracked or broken exhaust flanges to to grinding down this weld. So who knows?
So is it possible that I'm running really lean and it cracked due to excesssive heat?

Bikes seems to run great and carb is jetted per instructions with the ProCycle jet kit.

It does have a lot of red/yellow clay caked on it from off-road riding, didn't really think I needed to wash it like the Harleys it shares the garage with.
__________________
Any day on a dirt road is a great day
blk-betty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 11:46 PM   #71715
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams
 
Adv Grifter's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Passing ADV Stalkers in California
Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by blk-betty View Post
So is it possible that I'm running really lean and it cracked due to excesssive heat?

Bikes seems to run great and carb is jetted per instructions with the ProCycle jet kit.

It does have a lot of red/yellow clay caked on it from off-road riding, didn't really think I needed to wash it like the Harleys it shares the garage with.
I would not venture a guess on this. I suppose it's possible ... but as I said above ... not heard about this happening. Hope you get her fixed up and back on the road!
Maybe another DR owner can compare your header area with theirs ... to confirm if ground down or not. That mod is on about 100 "first things to to on your DR" lists
1. Header Weld Grind.

So lots of riders do it. I'm just not convinced it makes a damn bit of
difference (in terms of power) and has potential to cause problems ...
maybe?
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 02:15 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014