ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-12-2012, 10:25 AM   #71791
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"
 
Rusty Rocket's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Trying to leave CT
Oddometer: 9,275
Quote:
Originally Posted by phreakingeek View Post
That bike had the .80 fork springs and the 8.3 shock spring from Procycle. It was quite a bit stiffer than stock, but still not stiff enough. I didnt go very high, but the rock i landed on was about 20 feet from the water bar that i went over...I was doing about 30-35mph at the time. We've ridden that area a number of times and I've had a few incidents with rocks on the skid plate, but this one was just bad luck. Bottoming out on a flat landing with a rock right were the case would contact it.


Here's the rock:



Here's the damage (after i removed the skidplate that was also destroyed):
Yow! I hit a rock and dented my skid plate, but it wasn't dead center like yours. Mine was off to the side a bit. It got far enough in to hit the bolt. Just nicked the drain bolt and oddly enough loosened it slightly. I had no idea this had happened. Luck would be with me. It didn't fall out while I finished the ride. A friend was over a few days later and wanted to see my bike. Went into the garage and there was a small puddle of oil. After checking, I was relieved to find the bolt loose. I took off the skid plate and banged out the big ole dent and put it back on. Hope I never do a boingo like yours.
__________________
on one side the sign it said "Private Road", but on the other side it didn't say nothin'
2009 DR650
..1972 Penton Six-Days ..1971 Suzuki TS185.. 2005 KTM 400exc
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:50 AM   #71792
TinMan207
Most often a lurker...
 
TinMan207's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Southern Maine -- most days
Oddometer: 1,632
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrophyHunter View Post
I only WISH that was my site and over 5 years of adventure. I don't know if Adam ( JediMaster here ) had any engine work done in those miles. I kept up with most of his posts and don't remember any rebuilds but a read through would tell you I guess.
Not that I have read all of his adventure stories, but I own his bike now. I can tell you that he (Adam) complained a lot about bearings - gee, these things go through wheel bearings? Who knew . I also know that he had some small issues with welds on racks and mounts breaking, but the bike itself is still going strong. Aside from the wiring issues that I'm dealing with at the moment it's been GREAT. I'm trying to prep it for a cross country (and back) trip right now.
__________________
When I was young I hoped to be Rich and good looking. At this point, I think that having great stories of many adventures is a much better plan

06 Suzuki DL650 (2 at the moment!) - 00 DR650
TinMan207 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:51 AM   #71793
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams
 
Adv Grifter's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Passing ADV Stalkers in California
Oddometer: 6,128
Someone Had the RTV idea?

Quote:
Originally Posted by phreakingeek View Post
I had the Ricochet brand plate from Rocky Mountain. Now i have a Pat Walsh Designs plate on the new bike. Looking for ways to add some shock absorbing/damping to the mounts so that it will disperse impacts instead of transferring it directly to the frame.

I found a nice mount that would provide impact and vibration damping made by Sorbothane. Unfortunately, even their toughest material (Duro 70) doesnt provide enough shear strength for a skidplate. My riding buddy is working on a project to mount a skidplate then RTV a second skidplate to it. Hoping to get impact damping by spreading impacts over a larger area and adding extra strength with two plates...unfortunately, that means a lot of extra weight
I believe one of the Kiwi or Aussie members here talked about using RTV as a cushion like shock absorber material to use with a skid plate mounting. I don't recall details ... long while ago. Anyone remember who posted that and what the plan was?

My skid plate is simply mounted using rubber bumpers to help absorb some of the hit. Rock hits are a real problem in Baja if you get going to fast and miss a big embedded rock like the one shown in pic above. Nasty ... will really hurt you if you hit it wrong. Also VERY hard on rims ... just thank your lucky stars you're not on a KTM or BMW!
Butter soft crap rims.

Good suspension and a light load go a long way to preventing whacking the skid plate. Riding technique matter too. I try to loft the front when needed, and vision ahead is critical too so to avoid potential disasters with good lines.

But a few times I've hit stuff SO HARD it nearly knocked me OFF the bike, jerked the bars out of my hands ... and nearly crashed. 100% vigilance is required. Dirt riding at speed tires you out!!

This here track in Death Valley was a shitter ... and a real good place to hole a case. Thing is, on this stuff you could not go slow. If you did, you'd get beat to death. You had do at least 20 to 25 mph just to avoid having the bars jerked out of your hands or have a bad deflection and loose control. MUCH easier on a light weight dirt bike!


This track is tougher than it looks. A real shit kicker of volcanic rock that eats your tires ... and you don't want to fall on it either.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:41 AM   #71794
barko1
barko1
 
barko1's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: Las Cruces, NM or thereabouts
Oddometer: 3,352
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
This here track in Death Valley was a shitter ... and a real good place to hole a case. Thing is, on this stuff you could not go slow. If you did, you'd get beat to death. You had do at least 20 to 25 mph just to avoid having the bars jerked out of your hands or have a bad deflection and loose control. MUCH easier on a light weight dirt bike!


This track is tougher than it looks. A real shit kicker of volcanic rock that eats your tires ... and you don't want to fall on it either.

Is that by Butte Valley?
__________________
DR650, 98 Bimota SB6R, Kawasaki 14, 67 X-6 Scrambler (apart), SL350K1 (apart), 77 Goldwing 1000, Triumph Thunderbird Sport, Triumph Daytona Super III, DR650, MZ Skorpian Sport Cup, 71 Triumph Daytona 500, KDX220

barko1 screwed with this post 12-12-2012 at 03:31 PM
barko1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 12:17 PM   #71795
Foot dragger
singletracker
 
Foot dragger's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: chico,just below rag dump(nor-cal)
Oddometer: 12,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
I believe one of the Kiwi or Aussie members here talked about using RTV as a cushion like shock absorber material to use with a skid plate mounting. I don't recall details ... long while ago. Anyone remember who posted that and what the plan was?

My skid plate is simply mounted using rubber bumpers to help absorb some of the hit. Rock hits are a real problem in Baja if you get going to fast and miss a big embedded rock like the one shown in pic above. Nasty ... will really hurt you if you hit it wrong. Also VERY hard on rims ... just thank your lucky stars you're not on a KTM or BMW!
Butter soft crap rims.

Good suspension and a light load go a long way to preventing whacking the skid plate. Riding technique matter too. I try to loft the front when needed, and vision ahead is critical too so to avoid potential disasters with good lines.

But a few times I've hit stuff SO HARD it nearly knocked me OFF the bike, jerked the bars out of my hands ... and nearly crashed. 100% vigilance is required. Dirt riding at speed tires you out!!

This here track in Death Valley was a shitter ... and a real good place to hole a case. Thing is, on this stuff you could not go slow. If you did, you'd get beat to death. You had do at least 20 to 25 mph just to avoid having the bars jerked out of your hands or have a bad deflection and loose control. MUCH easier on a light weight dirt bike!


This track is tougher than it looks. A real shit kicker of volcanic rock that eats your tires ... and you don't want to fall on it either.
Yah,I rode my DR on the gnarlier tracks out in Death Valley once,that was enough.
400 lb bike with not much ground clearance leads to smashing impacts on a regular basis.
Its not so much a problem with how many skidplates you have but the fact its too close to the ground.
Line choice of course can help,dont hit the big ones.
__________________
Some bikes around at times
Foot dragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 12:34 PM   #71796
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer
 
ER70S-2's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: SE Denver-ish
Oddometer: 6,469
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcap View Post
hi all, anyone else out there done an engine rebuild or currently have an engine in pieces and can tell me which of the bearings inside the cases has a small split pin protruding from the outer race? i remember this was the only bearing that i couldnt buy off the shelf from a cheaper shop but i cant remember which one it was.
I can't find it in the service manual, but MADurstewitz had the same question, maybe a PM to him. ADV8 just rebuilt his with the new gear set and may also have information.
__________________
2004 DR650: 62,605 miles
2013 WR250R

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 12:38 PM   #71797
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over
 
DockingPilot's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: Andover, N.J.
Oddometer: 9,615
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
400 lb bike with not much ground clearance leads to smashing impacts on a regular basis.
Its not so much a problem with how many skidplates you have but the fact its too close to the ground.


Not that I'd trade my DR for one, but you wont have that issue with a KTM, as you can practically walk under them
__________________
Frank Reinbold

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 01:06 PM   #71798
Foot dragger
singletracker
 
Foot dragger's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: chico,just below rag dump(nor-cal)
Oddometer: 12,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by DockingPilot View Post


Not that I'd trade my DR for one, but you wont have that issue with a KTM, as you can practically walk under them
Ive since picked up a 530 KTM,it floats and wheelies over stuff that the good old DR would clank/drag and clonk through.
I high centered the DR coming over Mengel pass in DV trying to get around a sand buggy that was totally stuck in the good line,there's something about getting a bike high centered when it weighs well over twice what I do that leaves an impression. It was teetering on a big rock,luckily some guys came over and helped drag it off.
I still ride my DR but I dont beat it and myself up taking it in places it doesnt really belong,too hard on my body.
Im doing the cam chain tensioner gasket on the DR today,always a good time.
__________________
Some bikes around at times
Foot dragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 01:47 PM   #71799
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over
 
DockingPilot's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: Andover, N.J.
Oddometer: 9,615
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
Ive since picked up a 530 KTM,it floats and wheelies over stuff that the good old DR would clank/drag and clonk through.
I high centered the DR coming over Mengel pass in DV trying to get around a sand buggy that was totally stuck in the good line,there's something about getting a bike high centered when it weighs well over twice what I do that leaves an impression. It was teetering on a big rock,luckily some guys came over and helped drag it off.
I still ride my DR but I dont beat it and myself up taking it in places it doesnt really belong,too hard on my body.
Im doing the cam chain tensioner gasket on the DR today,always a good time.
Chico ha ?
2 things:
1. I knew a young guy fresh out of Maritime college was an engineer on a NY harbor tug but lives in Chico.
2. This fall I rode my DR down the WBCDR, OBCDR and into northern Cali. Smith River NRA, Happy Camp and Lost Coast. That Smith River area had the shocks-a-boiling !
__________________
Frank Reinbold

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 02:03 PM   #71800
C/W
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: San Francisco, CA
Oddometer: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket View Post
Yow! I hit a rock and dented my skid plate, but it wasn't dead center like yours. Mine was off to the side a bit. It got far enough in to hit the bolt. Just nicked the drain bolt and oddly enough loosened it slightly. I had no idea this had happened. Luck would be with me. It didn't fall out while I finished the ride. A friend was over a few days later and wanted to see my bike. Went into the garage and there was a small puddle of oil. After checking, I was relieved to find the bolt loose. I took off the skid plate and banged out the big ole dent and put it back on. Hope I never do a boingo like yours.
Makes me second guess using the magnetic oil drain plug. It sticks out further than the stock one. It wouldn't have mattered in this case though, looks like the fin area cracked as well.

Seems to be mostly just bad luck. Sure perhaps you could've avoided the rock, but it's easy to miss stuff at speed.
C/W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 02:27 PM   #71801
Ren20
Finding Touge
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Oddometer: 111
Did a oil change, Something weird with the drain plug. first oil change since I bought the bike. The drain plug was tight coming out. also, tight going back in. Other vehicle I have changed oil with, i could usually finger loose the drain plug after breaking it loose with a socket.

what's up with that? hope I didn't cause any damage to the drain hole threads. The drain plug looked okay to me.
Ren20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 02:30 PM   #71802
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams
 
Adv Grifter's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Passing ADV Stalkers in California
Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinMan207 View Post
Not that I have read all of his adventure stories, but I own his bike now. I can tell you that he (Adam) complained a lot about bearings - gee, these things go through wheel bearings? Who knew . I also know that he had some small issues with welds on racks and mounts breaking, but the bike itself is still going strong. Aside from the wiring issues that I'm dealing with at the moment it's been GREAT. I'm trying to prep it for a cross country (and back) trip right now.
Great to hear you've got Adam's bike on the road and strong. Sorry, not a clue regards the electrics/wiring problems. I do remember reading Adam's Ride Report about the mods he made to the dash, switches added, et al.

IIRC, he did a VERY NICE job on the switches and wiring. Very pro job. I would contact Adam, ask for assistance. I think he is quite a wizard with wiring, signal path and trouble shooting.

Some hard used DR's have burnt through wheel and Hub bearings. But I don't think it's endemic. Many are still on original bearings at 50,000 miles,
(my '06 included). Many seem to "get creative" with using various bearings
to replace, very few go with the open ended OEM bearings.

I plan to go with OEM as I figure I got 50K miles out of originals ... why mess with success?

Good luck with up coming cross country ride.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 02:40 PM   #71803
Foot dragger
singletracker
 
Foot dragger's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: chico,just below rag dump(nor-cal)
Oddometer: 12,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by DockingPilot View Post
Chico ha ?
2 things:
1. I knew a young guy fresh out of Maritime college was an engineer on a NY harbor tug but lives in Chico.
2. This fall I rode my DR down the WBCDR, OBCDR and into northern Cali. Smith River NRA, Happy Camp and Lost Coast. That Smith River area had the shocks-a-boiling !
Lotsa neat riding out by Happy Camp,heck theres all kinds of neat riding any way you go out of Chico,the coast,mountains,singletrack for days real close by.
Then all the great curvy paved roads going to the coast.

Different subject but does anybody have any good ideas about getting the gasket off the cylinder for the cam chain tensioner? Gasket remover doesnt touch it.
__________________
Some bikes around at times
Foot dragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 02:49 PM   #71804
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over
 
DockingPilot's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: Andover, N.J.
Oddometer: 9,615
Sharp razor, patience and a steady hand
__________________
Frank Reinbold

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 03:21 PM   #71805
kbuckey
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Lookout Mountain - above Golden, CO
Oddometer: 847
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post

Some hard used DR's have burnt through wheel and Hub bearings. But I don't think it's endemic. Many are still on original bearings at 50,000 miles,
(my '06 included). Many seem to "get creative" with using various bearings
to replace, very few go with the open ended OEM bearings.

I plan to go with OEM as I figure I got 50K miles out of originals ... why mess with success?
My originals lasted about 50,000 (the rears and cush hub bearings, the fronts are still original at 62,000 -seem just fine). I did replace with OEM but I did take the old seals off the old bearings and put them on the unsealed side of the new bearings. Seemed like the thing to do at the time.
kbuckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:06 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015