Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-12-2012, 03:21 PM   #71821
kbuckey
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 766
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post

Some hard used DR's have burnt through wheel and Hub bearings. But I don't think it's endemic. Many are still on original bearings at 50,000 miles,
(my '06 included). Many seem to "get creative" with using various bearings
to replace, very few go with the open ended OEM bearings.

I plan to go with OEM as I figure I got 50K miles out of originals ... why mess with success?
My originals lasted about 50,000 (the rears and cush hub bearings, the fronts are still original at 62,000 -seem just fine). I did replace with OEM but I did take the old seals off the old bearings and put them on the unsealed side of the new bearings. Seemed like the thing to do at the time.
kbuckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 03:43 PM   #71822
TinMan207
Most often a lurker...

Oddometer: 1,350
Quote:
Great to hear you've got Adam's bike on the road and strong. Sorry, not a clue regards the electrics/wiring problems. I do remember reading Adam's Ride Report about the mods he made to the dash, switches added, et al.
The Mods to the dash (and the rest of the bike as a whole really) that he did were both extensive, well done, AND numerous (and highly personalized to his needs). My needs are far simpler. I am sure that we will get them figured out. I'm asking here because a) I very aware of the highly experienced people on here, and b) I don't feel the need to re-invent the wheel if I don't need to. If someone has dealt with a similar issue before I am very willing to accept the help.

Quote:
Some hard used DR's have burnt through wheel and Hub bearings. But I don't think it's endemic. Many are still on original bearings at 50,000 miles,
It could be a function of how he used the bike, but I think he told me once that he figured HIS bearings were a "wear item" and like the chain and sprockets would replace them at regular intervals. She (Rosie is what he called the bike and I see no reason to change that) will have all new consumables before WE head out. I'm hoping to get more miles on her than He did. My Vee has over 85,000 miles already!

06 Suzuki DL650 (2 at the moment!) - 00 DR650
TinMan207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 04:21 PM   #71823
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by barko1 View Post
Is that by Butte Valley?
This is a marked BLM trail from Trona Airport up and over and down into the valley on into Goler Wash. Goes from West to East. I don't know Butte Valley.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 05:21 PM   #71824
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,784
Quote:
Originally Posted by DockingPilot View Post
Sharp razor, patience and a steady hand
Cripes what a PIA,as Im sure everybody has found out who has done this,the tensioner gasket is bonded to the cylinder quite solidly and only comes off in tiny slivers at a time while trying not to carve aluminum away. The sealing surface for the gasket is maybe 1/8" wide,not the best design work Ive seen. Hope it doesnt leak again for a while.
Old 12-12-2012, 05:48 PM   #71825
procycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
Gasket remover doesnt touch it.
Gasket remover needs to sit and soak in for at least an hour or two to work.
TurboDiesel Corvette - go to the end to start at the beginning
procycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 06:46 PM   #71826
TrophyHunter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,957
Tinman - if your trip includes San Diego.....tools and guest room available. Glad the bike is still on the road.

"It's a small amount of gas, but it represents a long walk" My Dad...
TrophyHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 07:06 PM   #71827
TinMan207
Most often a lurker...

Oddometer: 1,350
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrophyHunter View Post
Tinman - if your trip includes San Diego.....tools and guest room available. Glad the bike is still on the road.
Thanks! Not sure how it will pan out yet. Was supposed to be a month in Mexico, but a few days ago my Ex informed us that she has decided that she would not be contributing to the boys college tuition - the Mexico money gets to go to Canada instead of Mexico. WAY less fun.

Still prepping the bike and still hoping to be able to get out of the snow for a month or two.

06 Suzuki DL650 (2 at the moment!) - 00 DR650
TinMan207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 07:22 PM   #71828
joefromsf
Dark Happens

Oddometer: 1,473
Quote:
This is a marked BLM trail from Trona Airport up and over and down into the valley on into Goler Wash. Goes from West to East. I don't know Butte Valley.
That was going to be my guess. Route is sometimes called Fish Canyon or Manly Escape Route. Riding that on the wee-strom I bent the front rim and had to stuff a tube in there.

Butte Valley is the valley between Mengel Pass and Warm springs Canyon, where several the cabins are. Name probably associated with Striped Butte.

We can't crash an infinite amount of times, so you better learn from every one! (by ARZ)
joefromsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:46 PM   #71829
PPCLI-Jim
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 220
@ phreakingeek wow after seeing the damage that rock caused has made me think about that shark fin on the case. I've been considering removing it as i have a hand made skid plate made from 1/4 " checker plate. gonna add some guards to cover a little more area but I always have wondered if it was safer to have it removed, or leave it there in close proximity to the plate. If I hit the ground hard enough, it may cause the plate to flex enough to have the same issue you just had. Seems you have answered my question sorry about your luck . I have heard clangs and knocks off the plate during rides, Every time I do a oil change I check it over and make sure its still in good shape seeing lots of dents but nothing to devestating . Before i start thinking about an extended ride a ride to South america or RTW for example I will start with a fresh one.

http://www.youtube.com/user/spudhead/videos?view=0 my youtube channel

PPCLI-Jim screwed with this post 12-12-2012 at 09:52 PM
PPCLI-Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 06:35 AM   #71830
dljocky
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 845
FDR72, is that Long Run Road?
Man, that was a hit. Were you able to get a truck in there to get you out, or did you have to push it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by phreakingeek View Post
That was FDR72 in the GW Forest...VA side.
dljocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:52 AM   #71831
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,921
Quote:
Originally Posted by DockingPilot View Post

Not that I'd trade my DR for one, but you wont have that issue with a KTM, as you can practically walk under them
Yup, of course the down side to a lot of clearance is I've dropped my KTM's cause my legs are too short.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:19 AM   #71832
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 9,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
Yup, of course the down side to a lot of clearance is I've dropped my KTM's cause my legs are too short.

You just have the wrong riding boots is all mate.

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:06 AM   #71833
phreakingeek
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 337
Luckily we had just crested the top of the mountain...about 10 miles in. So my riding buddy Mark towed me back to the top and I coasted most of the way down. Only had to stop 3 or 4 times for Mark to pull me through a few 100 yards of slight incline...then back to coasting. It was strange rolling down the hill at 30mph with no engine noise.

we left the bike at the church down at the bottom while i rode pillion back to the truck where we'd parked. While we were gone, some nice locals took the opportunity to alter the color scheme of my black DR with orange and green paintballs. Just glad it wasnt lead projectiles...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dljocky View Post
FDR72, is that Long Run Road?
Man, that was a hit. Were you able to get a truck in there to get you out, or did you have to push it?
phreakingeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:19 AM   #71834
MADurstewitz
MADMark

Oddometer: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by ER70S-2 View Post
I can't find it in the service manual, but MADurstewitz had the same question, maybe a PM to him. ADV8 just rebuilt his with the new gear set and may also have information.
Just found this. In my case, the bearing with the pin is the one that failed. I managed to trace it to a Chinese manufacturer, which might be why. The pin was simply a rolled piece of steel inserted into a hole drilled into the race. Very dodgy workmanship in my opinion. I measured it and replaced it with an appropriate SKF from simplybearings. I replaced all of the bearings with SKF, actually.

Anyway, to your question, that bearing is the input shaft bearing behind the clutch. I used loctite bearing retainer to hold it in place without the pin. The rebuilt engine just turned over 10,000 miles with no issues.
Old 12-13-2012, 10:52 AM   #71835
dljocky
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 845
Yeah, coasting along with no engine can be a bit weird. Glad you are ok.

Seriously........paintballs!

Maybe not so funny then, but some humor in it I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phreakingeek View Post
we left the bike at the church down at the bottom while i rode pillion back to the truck where we'd parked. While we were gone, some nice locals took the opportunity to alter the color scheme of my black DR with orange and green paintballs. Just glad it wasnt lead projectiles...
dljocky is offline   Reply With Quote