Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-17-2012, 08:43 AM   #71926
Lil' Steve
PussyWagon™ Chauffer

Oddometer: 3,860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob.G View Post
Play with the preload and sag settings. A friend helped me set my sag at Death Valley earlier this year and it made a world of difference. I actually had to soften it a little because it was TOO stiff when we were done. Now it's as good as it's gonna get til I send it to Cogent (along with my DR rear shock, since he does both now).

I want Gold valves for my KLX forks as well as the DR's. Any idea if they're available on the KLX?

Rob

For the KLX.
Lil' Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 08:45 AM   #71927
acesandeights
Asperger

Oddometer: 3,619
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob.G View Post

I want Gold valves for my KLX forks as well as the DR's. Any idea if they're available on the KLX?

Rob
http://racetech.com/ProductSearch/1/...i/KLX250S/2010

I'll die with this hammer in my hand.
acesandeights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 09:25 AM   #71928
motolab
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,220
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexTalionis View Post
You may recall I sent you an email months ago congratulating you on your work for your buddy restoring that odd Ruskie (if I recall the origin of the machine) motorcycle - making one running bike out of three shipped back from overseas in boxes.
That's the Minsk. We've made some progress on that just recently, and I expect that Mullet5 will make a report over there soon.
Quote:
Regarding me and my DR, I'm an old dog and content if my fueling is 85+% correct; interestingly, that's the same figure I use for personal satisfaction when balancing my wheel/tire assemble using the axle supported by the backs of two kitchen chairs. Compared to the miserably lean condition of the carburation and the subsequent miserable low-speed riding experience when I took possession of the bike new, the current condition is vastly improved and did not cost me a cent as I already had a suitable washer left over from installing a DJ kit in my ZX-10. And I get ~50mpg.
I'm glad that it's working out for you!
Quote:
I'm wondering: a month or more ago you and ProCycle got into a discussion about the benefits of your expertise regarding carb adjustments. Proposals were made, ProCycle offered to pay the cost of your service in return for the before/after results, and a poster offered his bike as the test mule. Did anything ever come of that?
It didn't, because the motorcycle in question didn't have the set of mods that ProCycle thought (and I agree) would be the most common, and therefore the most universally applicable.
Quote:
If you and ProCycle are interested, I'll donate my bike for a week, you're about 20 miles up the peninsula from me.
Thanks so much for the offer!
Quote:
My bike is totally stock except for the adjustments noted and removal of the snorkel.
I don't think that will work, as the bike should have the airbox mod, a GSX-R or aftermarket muffler, and, to start with, a DJ/Pro Cycle jet kit installed.

Regards,

Derek
motolab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:46 AM   #71929
procycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,179
Quote:
Originally Posted by motolab View Post
because the motorcycle in question didn't have the set of mods that ProCycle thought (and I agree) would be the most common, and therefore the most universally applicable.
If LexTalionis is amenable to cutting the top of his airbox and upgrading the exhaust I'm still on board for this.

I'd much rather see the test bike have a DG or FMF muffler. My own testing says the GSXR can doesn't breathe quite as well as an aftermarket performance muffler.
TurboDiesel Corvette - go to the end to start at the beginning
procycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 11:00 AM   #71930
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergDonk View Post
So you're not a fan of the latest SFF (Single Function Forks) MX forks as fitted to the latest KXs and RMZs?
Or to the Paioli forks on 1993 Gilera Nordwests...

Spring one side, damping in t'other.
Old 12-17-2012, 11:18 AM   #71931
Cobain
night owl

Oddometer: 132
Front sprocket retainer

Instead of buying the smaller triangular front sprocket retainer to fit with 14t sprockets, can't you just cut the stock one down? Does anyone get what I'm saying here.
Cobain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 11:29 AM   #71932
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 9,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobain View Post
Instead of buying the smaller triangular front sprocket retainer to fit with 14t sprockets, can't you just cut the stock one down? Does anyone get what I'm saying here.
Yea, your cheap Its frickin $12. Why hack up the stock one. Not even worth the time involved.

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 11:47 AM   #71933
Cobain
night owl

Oddometer: 132
It is to me. $12 saves is $12 earned. just wanted to make sure theres nothing special about the aftermarket overpriced one.
Cobain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 12:09 PM   #71934
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
It is to me. $12 saves is $12 earned. just wanted to make sure theres nothing special about the aftermarket overpriced one.
Many figured out this very easy, two minute mod to the stock retainer long before an aftermarket piece was ever offered. Not a big deal.

Take off stock retainer, grind down less than a 1/8" of the outer edge using a grinding wheel. Done. Two minutes tops.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 12:16 PM   #71935
macrae85
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by procycle View Post
Controlling flex during cornering is probably the main purpose of a fork brace. The other benefits are secondary.
For me,it's somewhere to attach my Yamaha XT660X m'guard to,to keep the shit down! :) (mudguard to follow,it's still in Scotland!).
macrae85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 12:25 PM   #71936
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 9,221
Quote:
Na just being just cheap is better. Thats why we like DR's anyway.
I just kidding you of course. Hell, Im so cheap I'm still running the stock sprocket

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 12:36 PM   #71937
macrae85
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 384
Thought i better show that mudguard since the Yanks lack choice in motorcycles!
macrae85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 12:49 PM   #71938
VooDooDaddy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by procycle View Post
I'd much rather see the test bike have a DG or FMF muffler. My own testing says the GSXR can doesn't breathe quite as well as an aftermarket performance muffler.
How is it the GSXR can doesn't breath as well? I mean the 600/750 can from the factory is bolted to an engine putting out 110/130 RWHP?? And the 1000 can is bolted to an engine making what,...150 RWHP?? And a DR650 makes what,...35ish RWHP?

I'm not saying you are wrong, but my limited internal logic cannot compute your statement; and other than what I've just written above, I have no data to support or refute your statement. Just asking for more info on this?
VooDooDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 01:00 PM   #71939
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,688
Quote:
then go for it, no one is stopping you. it's been done before so it's not a new idea. heck you can even buy one done this way too: http://www.topgunmotorcycles.com/Pro...s/Drprod2.html

some don't have the tools to cut it them-self or they make way more than $12 at work in the time it takes to cut it down so it's easier to buy from someone else. over-priced would be for them to try and do it them-self.

people making and selling things is the basis of our economy.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 01:08 PM   #71940
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,688
Quote:
Originally Posted by VooDooDaddy View Post
How is it the GSXR can doesn't breath as well? I mean the 600/750 can from the factory is bolted to an engine putting out 110/130 RWHP?? And the 1000 can is bolted to an engine making what,...150 RWHP?? And a DR650 makes what,...35ish RWHP?

I'm not saying you are wrong, but my limited internal logic cannot compute your statement; and other than what I've just written above, I have no data to support or refute your statement. Just asking for more info on this?
it think it's all about high flow at the very highest rpms that a straight pipe can offer. that's the advantage the DG or FMF can offer, but the GSXR muffler offers very solid & similar mid-range flow.

Procycle is focused on max power and such (straight pipes & oversized engine kits) that's all. If that is not your thing, many are very satisfied the overall-range GSXR performance and weight saving over stock. Procycle sells aftermarket pipes and that is his focus.

This is an old graph and some say not entirely accurate but still give you a broad idea of what i'm talking about.
black = stock
blue = fmf
red = gsxr
solid line = hp
dash line = torque

i'm a lower RPM torque rider so the GSXR looks great to me and it does not need to be repacked.
it still has back pressure (like stock) vrs open pipes, so it's no surprise it has fatter low end torque but less high end hp than an aftermarket pipe. it's only after 7k rpm things change but I don't ride up in there.

i'm guessing the Busa muffler will perform very similar.

the DG and FMF pipes are no slouches however and offer weight savings and bolt on performance.
Procycle is a one stop shop for buying these performance items and make it easy and fast to get it done.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com

eakins screwed with this post 12-17-2012 at 01:20 PM
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote