Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-25-2012, 05:11 PM   #72181
Thumper Dan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by epix1718 View Post
Merry Christmas everyone!

I like the dog hidden away down the bottom of the pic.

If your bike is inside, it must be cold over there? In Oz, our xmas days was a sweltering 33c - a water fight pursued.

Mods: Manrack, ebay 48 litre top box, grind header pipe; B&B bash plate; bigger/better tool compartment (pvc pipe) - Screens For Bikes Windscreen, TM40 Pumper Carb, Safari Tank, Seat Concepts, Oxford Heater Grips, Highway Pegs, Wolfman Expidition bags and racks, HDB handguards, Cogent Mojave rear shock, intiminators, GSX muffler/mod
Thumper Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 11:16 PM   #72182
PPCLI-Jim
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 221
Cool2 Rtw

So here I am looking at about 9 months till my time in the military (28 yrs) by the time its done, to finish it all. Due to the way it is with the Canadian Forces I am entitled to 2 yrs of training to allow myself a second career. So I am leaning towards a basic motorcycle engine course followed by a Spanish and photography course. With those done I am looking at a Tour guide rider or support truck driver. The bike a DR 650 2011 is coming together slowly and steadily.
The bike is relativity bulletproof with most of the weak spots known and easy to watch and fix. I am looking at getting a stock of known expendable parts and getting them laid away so my brother can get them to me so I will have an on hand supply or have him ship em to a place I will be. swap out the old ones install the new ones then I will have spares for the next leg. I am trying to figure out the few bits and pieces Hard vs Soft Luggage I know I want a hard box up top at least for secure storage for camera / laptop and a few other odds .
I have seen others doing the same with a solar powered charger made for the box top for charging the electronics. This is to take the strain off the under powered DR charging system roughly 400 watts for a BMW vs the 200 for a DR. As a Canadian I am looking for info on riders who have done rides on their own bikes and would like to know about Carnert De Pass for bringing Bikes through countries and who to contact how much these run for various countries. I am always looking for useful info on places to avoid and places to hit.
If i do my planning now I hope to get it all together before my time is up so I can make a clean break. From there I can live life as a leaf in the wind .

http://www.youtube.com/user/spudhead/videos?view=0 my youtube channel
PPCLI-Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 12:16 AM   #72183
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by PPCLI-Jim View Post
So here I am looking at about 9 months till my time in the military (28 yrs) by the time its done, to finish it all. Due to the way it is with the Canadian Forces I am entitled to 2 yrs of training to allow myself a second career. So I am leaning towards a basic motorcycle engine course followed by a Spanish and photography course. With those done I am looking at a Tour guide rider or support truck driver. The bike a DR 650 2011 is coming together slowly and steadily.
The bike is relativity bulletproof with most of the weak spots known and easy to watch and fix. I am looking at getting a stock of known expendable parts and getting them laid away so my brother can get them to me so I will have an on hand supply or have him ship em to a place I will be. swap out the old ones install the new ones then I will have spares for the next leg. I am trying to figure out the few bits and pieces Hard vs Soft Luggage I know I want a hard box up top at least for secure storage for camera / laptop and a few other odds .
I have seen others doing the same with a solar powered charger made for the box top for charging the electronics. This is to take the strain off the under powered DR charging system roughly 400 watts for a BMW vs the 200 for a DR. As a Canadian I am looking for info on riders who have done rides on their own bikes and would like to know about Carnert De Pass for bringing Bikes through countries and who to contact how much these run for various countries. I am always looking for useful info on places to avoid and places to hit.
If i do my planning now I hope to get it all together before my time is up so I can make a clean break. From there I can live life as a leaf in the wind .
Tour Guide eh? So ... you want that dream job that me and about 10,000 other ADV Riders want! Nice work if you can get it!

A friend and I looked into starting our own dual sport touring company about 12 years ago. In the process we looked at other companies out there ... like the half dozen or so outfits that run Baja tours. Pretty competitive and not all make money. In some cases the guides are also principles in the company.

Seems the guys who make the MOST are guys running Harley tours ... especially those doing full package tours for Euros coming over to see all the usual sites in the USA. (Death Valley, Disneyland, Grand Canyon ect ect)

Outfits like Edelweiss and Ron Ayers ... I imagine guides are well paid. Most of those guides are fluent in 3 or 4 languages and some are Master mechanics ...usually BMW's.

To Get Started ....

I would start hanging out over on Horizon's Unlimited and HUBB. Buy Grant and Susan's fabulous CD's and just start reading. It's FAR more useful than ADV Rider for really learning the nuts and bolts of setting up for travel.

One of THOUSANDS of things you'll quickly learn on the HUBB is that you do not need a Carnet for any of Mexico, Central or South America. As time goes on, seems fewer countries require a Carnet.

Horizon's and HUBB will provide thousands of such tips.

Prepping the DR650 is very easy. It's a natural traveler and is one of the:
1. least expensive to buy and set up.
2. One of the most reliable and nearly maintenance free.
3. Makes one of the very best travel bikes in the world.

Have fun!
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 06:23 AM   #72184
TrophyHunter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,827
http://shortwayround.co.uk/

http://jamminglobal.blogspot.com/

Plenty of reading to do on endless sites. These two are DR specific and may be of some help. Congrats on a successful career and service. Enjoy.

"It's a small amount of gas, but it represents a long walk" My Dad...
TrophyHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 03:19 PM   #72185
Cobain
night owl

Oddometer: 132
Added a 12v outlet, and the gsxr is finally fitted. PS there is uncut keys on ebay for 1.60 a piece, i got a couple and they work good.

Cobain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 03:21 PM   #72186
procycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,071
Pretty quiet around here...

Maybe this will liven up the party a bit.

That my friends is a 10mm over stroker DR650 crankshaft with custom made Carillo rod getting ready to go into the DR900 DR-zilla motor.
TurboDiesel Corvette - go to the end to start at the beginning
procycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 03:28 PM   #72187
acesandeights
Asperger

Oddometer: 3,384
I'm confused. Won't the additional stroke increase torque?

I'll die with this hammer in my hand.
acesandeights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 03:30 PM   #72188
PPCLI-Jim
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by procycle View Post
Maybe this will liven up the party a bit.

That my friends is a 10mm over stroker DR650 crankshaft with custom made Carillo rod getting ready to go into the DR900 DR-zilla motor.
That seems like a excellent way to bring some life to the party

http://www.youtube.com/user/spudhead/videos?view=0 my youtube channel
PPCLI-Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 04:24 PM   #72189
procycle
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by acesandeights View Post
I'm confused. Won't the additional stroke increase torque?
Ya know, it just might do that!
As they say, there's no replacement for displacement.
Old 12-26-2012, 04:26 PM   #72190
acesandeights
Asperger

Oddometer: 3,384
Oh, I guess I'm not confused. Good luck and post up here or on your site so we all now how jealous to be.

I'll die with this hammer in my hand.
acesandeights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 05:02 PM   #72191
Lil' Steve
PussyWagon™ Chauffer

Oddometer: 3,798
Quote:
Ho Lee Shit! For the DR owner who thought they had it all!
Lil' Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 06:08 PM   #72192
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,409
Quote:
Ya know, it just might do that!
As they say, there's no replacement for displacement.
What are you gonna do for a tranny and cooling?

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 06:44 PM   #72193
procycle
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
What are you gonna do for a tranny and cooling?
I'm confident the stock trans will be up to it (with a billet 3rd gear set).
There's no reason to think it will need any more cooling than the current 790. It will gain a lot of internal cylinder area to shed heat. But really, a bigger motor doesn't just automatically make more heat. It depends on how hard you run it. With the longer stroke and more torque it should have an easy time of of it. In equal conditions a smaller lower powered motor has to be run harder to give the same performance as a larger more powerful motor.
Old 12-26-2012, 06:55 PM   #72194
sandwash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,175
So,just one?
Old 12-26-2012, 07:23 PM   #72195
thinairflyer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 153
How much does nitrogen presure affect shock?

Is there much difference in shock damping or ride height from 140 psi to 160 psi in my DRZ400S shock on my DR650? Thanks, L D
thinairflyer is offline   Reply With Quote