Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-28-2012, 02:20 PM   #72241
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slideways#96 View Post
And I thought changing the oil on my old 520exc was a PITA. Love my dr though suspension no where near that of the old 520...
I so badly wanted to put my DR650 engine in the chassis of my 2000 KTM 250 exc. That would've been a fun bike.

Now I think I would just get a 2007 525exc and call it even.

DR is easier to change oil on.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 02:25 PM   #72242
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,444
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren20 View Post
Is this an IMS or Acerbis tank? Seller claimed to be acerbis. But look IMS to me. I think acerbis is more angular, correct?

That looks just like my IMS 4.9. The Acerbis 5.3 is more angular. The Acerbis 6.6 for older DR650s looks different.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 02:26 PM   #72243
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,444
Quote:
Originally Posted by neo1piv014 View Post
Looking at my Acerbis4.9 tank, it appears that the petcock actually sits below the level of the intake on my carb. Anyone else notice this? I can't actually hook up the fuel line without there being a bit of an uphill climb to it or a bend.
The OEM Suzuki petcock on my IMS 4.9 was just a hair lower than my carb inlet. Then I turned the inlet.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 02:32 PM   #72244
Slideways#96
scooter trash

Oddometer: 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket View Post
I so badly wanted to put my DR650 engine in the chassis of my 2000 KTM 250 exc. That would've been a fun bike.

Now I think I would just get a 2007 525exc and call it even.

DR is easier to change oil on.
Dr oil change is a breeze. Newly purchased 79 xr600 framer should be just as simple. Gotta love simplicity fer sure. Your 250 is a stroke right? Got a 300xcw but she doesn't get ridden much since purchase of the dr and now the track bike in the works. I need to find a way to retire so I can ride em all.... :)
Slideways#96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 02:33 PM   #72245
Ren20
Finding Touge

Oddometer: 111
Interesting. I also think that's an ims tank. may just have to call the seller again.

I like the angular acerbis more.

Ren20 screwed with this post 12-28-2012 at 09:56 PM
Ren20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 02:39 PM   #72246
Slideways#96
scooter trash

Oddometer: 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kommando View Post
That looks just like my IMS 4.9. The Acerbis 5.3 is more angular. The Acerbis 6.6 for older DR650s looks different.
Looks like the IMS on my dr.
Slideways#96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 02:45 PM   #72247
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slideways#96 View Post
Your 250 is a stroke right?

I need to find a way to retire so I can ride em all.... :)
Yeah, 250 was 2T. For what I sold it for, ($900), I should've kept it and put the forks on my DR.

I'm 59 and been retired 2 years now. ( RichBebe)

Still don't ride as much as I'd like.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 03:16 PM   #72248
Cobain
night owl

Oddometer: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobain View Post
Thats the one on craigslist right, in spokane?
U live in spokane area?
Cobain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 03:21 PM   #72249
neo1piv014
ADV in training

Oddometer: 618
Oxford Heated Grips

My lady got me the Oxford heated grips from Twisted Throttle for Christmas, so I thought I'd share a few quick words on them:
1 - the build quality leaves a bit to be desired. When reading through the installation instructions, they actually tell you that you will likely need to take a metal file to the inside of the grips because their rubber molding process may not leave the grips with the correct inner-diameter. This was definitely true in my case. They aren't pretty on the inside, but since the inside is now glued to my bars, I guess that doesn't matter.

2 - the wiring harness for my left grip completely fell apart as soon as I plugged them in. I wound up just soldering the wires together, and it works fine now.

3 - those two points out of the way, these grips heat up in a couple minutes, and they get damn hot. I cannot wait to try these out on the road.

4 - Right now, I just followed the instructions and wired the things straight into my battery. This does mean that any joker can come by in the parking lot, push the ON button, and kill my battery. It also means that I have to be vigilant about turning them off when I turn off the bike. Does anyone else run heated grips off that switched ignition pair that resides under our headlight shrouds? They have a 5A inline fuse, and I don't think the wattage was actually all that high.
"The impossible often has a kind of integrity which the merely improbable lacks."
neo1piv014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 03:50 PM   #72250
Cobain
night owl

Oddometer: 132
I need your advice. My tank recently cracked and i had to get it welded, it cracked because it flexes too much on the rubber grommets holding it to the frame. What can i do to stop the flexing of the tabs that holt the tank down? I already got new rubber grommets.

Cobain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 04:08 PM   #72251
Dkscism
n00b

Oddometer: 6
New vs Used DR

Hey guys I'm new to the forum here and new to Dual sport(ing)--can I use that as a verb? Anyways for a brief introduction I'm a nineteen year old college student in Clemson, SC. I' have never ridden street before but I raced MX for most of my childhood and teenage years. Anyways, now that my racing days are over I'm looking for the next best thing and have been looking into dual sport bikes for over a year. From what I've gathered, a DR 650 will fit my needs best. This would involve more street riding than off road with the occasional 100-200 mile trip. I've looked into buying new and used. The best asking price I've found is for a brand new 2012 model asking 5200 on the sticker. Right now (and I'm not sure for how long) Suzuki is offering 0% financing in these. With that being said, I still would consider buying used if it were, say an 04 and up model. Is it realistic that I could find a used bike that is in good enough condition and priced right to beat the $5200 0% brand new bike? Seems unlikely to me. Opinions?
Dkscism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 04:12 PM   #72252
Hesaid
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 831
0%?!

Bastards. They weren't doing that when I bought. Luckily a credit union we deal with at work was willing to do the deal with me pretty much setting my own terms. But not 0%. Damn.

MV
Hesaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 04:12 PM   #72253
Carl Childers
Ghost in the Machine

Oddometer: 328
Fork Upgrade

I'm going to be tearing my front forks apart to replace the seals and while I'm at it I'm thinking of adding a pair of intiminators. Question is should I be looking at changing the springs to? I'd like to make the forks the best they can be without replacing them all together, Anything else I should be looking at while I'm in there? I probably weigh in at 200 lbs. with all my riding gear on if that makes a difference with springs etc.
Carl Childers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 04:29 PM   #72254
Thumper Dan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by neo1piv014 View Post
My lady got me the Oxford heated grips from Twisted Throttle for Christmas, so I thought I'd share a few quick words on them:
1 - the build quality leaves a bit to be desired. When reading through the installation instructions, they actually tell you that you will likely need to take a metal file to the inside of the grips because their rubber molding process may not leave the grips with the correct inner-diameter. This was definitely true in my case. They aren't pretty on the inside, but since the inside is now glued to my bars, I guess that doesn't matter.

2 - the wiring harness for my left grip completely fell apart as soon as I plugged them in. I wound up just soldering the wires together, and it works fine now.

3 - those two points out of the way, these grips heat up in a couple minutes, and they get damn hot. I cannot wait to try these out on the road.

4 - Right now, I just followed the instructions and wired the things straight into my battery. This does mean that any joker can come by in the parking lot, push the ON button, and kill my battery. It also means that I have to be vigilant about turning them off when I turn off the bike. Does anyone else run heated grips off that switched ignition pair that resides under our headlight shrouds? They have a 5A inline fuse, and I don't think the wattage was actually all that high.
I run the Oxford grips and find them quite good and no real dramas installing them.

I did originally run them through the "spare" wire near the headlight but with feedback from this forum, was advised to run it through a relay. I've never done a relay before so enjoyed the project of working out how to do it. Although I must say, I have a digital voltmeter on my bike and when running the heaters, it really makes no difference drawing on the battery when your underway. So, I don't think there is a terrible amount of drain on the system.

Now they've been wired up, they seem to work everytime and if you use them with products like hippo hands or even Oxford put out their own product, makes winter riding more enjoyable.
Mods: Manrack, ebay 48 litre top box, grind header pipe; B&B bash plate; bigger/better tool compartment (pvc pipe) - Screens For Bikes Windscreen, TM40 Pumper Carb, Safari Tank, Seat Concepts, Oxford Heater Grips, Highway Pegs, Wolfman Expidition bags and racks, HDB handguards, Cogent Mojave rear shock, intiminators, GSX muffler/mod
Thumper Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 04:29 PM   #72255
PPCLI-Jim
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Childers View Post
I'm going to be tearing my front forks apart to replace the seals and while I'm at it I'm thinking of adding a pair of intiminators. Question is should I be looking at changing the springs to? I'd like to make the forks the best they can be without replacing them all together, Anything else I should be looking at while I'm in there? I probably weigh in at 200 lbs. with all my riding gear on if that makes a difference with springs etc.
yes you should from what I have been hearing / feeling with all the rest of the riders , for the smallish cost now you can then safely add weight to it by farckling up the front and ride harder on worse conditions

http://www.youtube.com/user/spudhead/videos?view=0 my youtube channel
PPCLI-Jim is offline   Reply With Quote