Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-29-2012, 07:09 PM   #72286
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrophyHunter View Post
Absolutely NOT. But I'm cynical from working financial crimes for the past 12 years. Besides, go buy what you really want. 10 years from now, you're not going to slap yourself on the back over saving a few bucks. But you will look at pics - or your bike - with the "that's exactly how I wanted it" satisfaction grin.
I agree ... get the bloody Acerbis. I have an IMS and they are as common as dirt. I like the Acerbis much better. Gives the bike a more modern look.
But up to you ... but don't send a cashier's check (bank check).

A legal question:
I realize if the buyer sends a bank check he doesn't have much recourse ... but what about paying with a US Postal Money Order? I was under the impression fraud when a US Postal Money Order is involved is a Federal crime ... I think? Opinions? Knowledge?

Cheers!
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 07:15 PM   #72287
TrophyHunter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,135
All of 'em can be federal crimes as soon as you mail it. There can be specific codes if you use or forge a postal money order but unless it's a huge amount, they'll probably want it prosecuted for the corresponding state criminal statutes.

Now, for a few pics.

End of Day 1

http://dualsport-sd.com/forums/index...72#entry140772 <---------- Short report

"It's a small amount of gas, but it represents a long walk" My Dad...
TrophyHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 07:19 PM   #72288
Ren20
Finding Touge

Oddometer: 111
Will order acerbis after the holiday. I have couple other things that are coming but got delayed big time with this holiday season. seems like everyone is off this week.

couple more things on my to do list this winter, install the seat concepts seat, make a dash for switches, and heated liner.
Ren20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 07:37 PM   #72289
Mucha
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Bluhduh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren20 View Post
regarding the IMS tank earlier.

It's confirmed indeed it was an IMS tank. The seller wants me to mail him a cashier check first. he ships it, then i will send him a second check to cover the shipping cost.

I've done paypal, but never done cashier check before. Plus he gave me an po box address. to be honest, I am skeptical now as he was when I called him stating I am from a different state.

This deal probably save me about 70 dollars than buying new from justgastank. Worth taking the chance?

I still like the acerbis tank better.
Hi,
the following may help the potential buyers:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nigerian_scam

:-/
Mucha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 07:44 PM   #72290
greener556
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by acesandeights View Post
I got new bars and everything else seems to go on, fit fine except the choke lever. The bars are checkered on the left side and the inner diameter of the choke lever seems smaller than the outer diameter of the bars and won't go on. I could dremel it but seems it should just go on like on the stock bars. This couldn't have been an issue for everyone, right? Or, what did you do? They are Fly Aero tapered bars from Procycle by the way.

BTW, it slides right over the other side (the wrong side). Are the bars soft enough I can sand the checkered part on the left?

There's not a little plastic tit on the choke housing to keep it from rotating on the old bars??

I can't remember from when I upgraded mine..
greener556 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 07:49 PM   #72291
neo1piv014
ADV in training

Oddometer: 619
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper Dan View Post
I run the Oxford grips and find them quite good and no real dramas installing them.

I did originally run them through the "spare" wire near the headlight but with feedback from this forum, was advised to run it through a relay. I've never done a relay before so enjoyed the project of working out how to do it. Although I must say, I have a digital voltmeter on my bike and when running the heaters, it really makes no difference drawing on the battery when your underway. So, I don't think there is a terrible amount of drain on the system.

Now they've been wired up, they seem to work everytime and if you use them with products like hippo hands or even Oxford put out their own product, makes winter riding more enjoyable.
Do you happen to remember what that feedback from the forums was? Five amps just doesn't seem like much of a draw on the system, and I don't use that pair for anything else.
"The impossible often has a kind of integrity which the merely improbable lacks."
neo1piv014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 07:51 PM   #72292
neo1piv014
ADV in training

Oddometer: 619
Quote:
Originally Posted by Echo1 View Post
This is logical but I'm not sure it's true. The warranty probably only covers the cost to repair up to the value of the bike.

A couple years ago a DR owner posted (on Thumpertalk) his bike blew 3rd gear and apparently did a lot of damage. His bike was still under the factory warranty but the cost to repair exceeded the bike value, so they were going to total it. The owner was pissed because he financed the bike and owed more than book value. Eventually the thread disappeared so Suzuki must have provided a satisfactory solution.
I'm sure there was a lawsuit threatened against Suzuki there. Hell, I have an 08 Spectra with a ten year warranty. If my engine blew today, the cost of repairs would far exceed the minuscule value of the car, much less the value of the car nine years into a ten year warranty. I should probably check my paperwork again, but I don't believe they could just say "well, too bad, it's not worth it," if that happened. That said, it's not like they've ever honored any other part of my warranty, so I guess I could be screwed there too.
"The impossible often has a kind of integrity which the merely improbable lacks."
neo1piv014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 08:21 PM   #72293
acesandeights
Asperger

Oddometer: 3,775
Quote:
Originally Posted by greener556 View Post
There's not a little plastic tit on the choke housing to keep it from rotating on the old bars??

I can't remember from when I upgraded mine..
There is inside the switch housing, but I can't get the bars past the choke lever into the switch housing. The switch housing actually comes apart and if there was no choke lever the switch housing would go right on.

The bars are larger on the left side than the right side. If I flip the bars backward the choke lever and switch housing both slide right on the right side of the bars, but not on the left side of the bars where it's checkered.

I'll die with this hammer in my hand.
acesandeights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:44 PM   #72294
Ren20
Finding Touge

Oddometer: 111
what bar do you have. I did an twin wall bar upgrade . Didn't have the problems you described.
My twin wall has checkers on the left too.
Ren20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:46 PM   #72295
smilin jack
Grandpa Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,226
Rifle on the bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by planemanx15 View Post
Santa brought me a Ruger 10/22 for Christmas. I would like to take it upstate, NY to a friends property to shoot/hunt, and do this on my dr. The problem is, I live in NY, and have to travel through NYC to get there. I can't keep the gun visible without attracting attention. The alternative I'm thinking of is strapping a large duffel bag to the rear rack, and removing the stock from the gun to make it smaller. IIRC the stock is 30" long.

thanks in advance...

Here's the Kolpin rifle case that's bolted and locked with two locks to the DR650. Have never been stopped while carrying rifles in the case. A fuel attendant asked once what's with the rifle... and replied, "target shooting is fun". End of conversation.

This is how we used to carry rifles in the desert. Never got bothered by police either... but were in the Oregon desert, not NYC.

Dave
smilin jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 10:17 PM   #72296
Feelers
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by neo1piv014 View Post
Do you happen to remember what that feedback from the forums was? Five amps just doesn't seem like much of a draw on the system, and I don't use that pair for anything else.
Most hand warmers use 20-30 watts which is only 1.75 - 2.5 amps. The switched thing in the dash harness would handle that just fine. But, don't also use it for a full jacket liner and pants or generally load it up.
Feelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 10:35 PM   #72297
canoli
human

Oddometer: 1,642
After messing with the fuel lines long enough l figured it was time to get some extra gas..

and head out of town to see how far I can really go:

With 310 miles since my last fill up the bike came to a rolling halt with this much gas left..

at the Tropic of Capricorn

It seems that I was not the first Adv Rider to be here:

Probably could have gotten a few extra miles if I shook the bike around but it was 110 degrees so I dumped in the extra gas and headed home.

Thanks again for the advice guys,
Canoli
canoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 10:49 PM   #72298
VooDooDaddy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by canoli View Post
...it was 110 degrees so I dumped the extra gas and headed home.
Thanks for posting, I was looking at the Safari over the IMS, but the truth is, I'll never go that for and thus need the extra range. I appreciate your scientific research.
VooDooDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 11:25 PM   #72299
ndthl
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRJens View Post
After a major brakedown on my DR650SE -01 (Gearbox exploding...) I have been looking for a replacement engine wich was really difficult. But have now found a XF 650 Freewind engine -99 and I hope this will fit on my bike. Understand that only the cylinder head with larger valves and the two carburator differ from a DR650SE engine, torquelimiter is also different but this must be possibel to swap from the old engine. Is this correct?
Has DRJens or anyone swapped a xf650 engine into a dr650?

I need to fix the gearbox and engine on my dr and found a xf engine, both are same model year (1997). Has anyone made this swap before?

I am in Queensland, Australia.

What would I have to modify on the engine to make it fit? Other posters here have said that I might have to swap the head as the xf has 2 carbies. Would I just be able to swap the head from my DR onto it? I am not a mechanic, pardon my n008 questions.

Wil
ndthl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 11:34 PM   #72300
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndthl View Post
Has DRJens or anyone swapped a xf650 engine into a dr650?

I need to fix the gearbox and engine on my dr and found a xf engine, both are same model year (1997). Has anyone made this swap before?

I am in Queensland, Australia.

What would I have to modify on the engine to make it fit? Other posters here have said that I might have to swap the head as the xf has 2 carbies. Would I just be able to swap the head from my DR onto it? I am not a mechanic, pardon my n008 questions.

Wil
Should be just the head to swap.