Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2013, 09:55 PM   #72526
VooDooDaddy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSF1200S View Post
"...if I were going to South America, Id buy new and get the 5 year unlimited mileage warranty..." "Say something freak happens (is 3rd gear really a freak?)- that could be the difference between the end of your trip or simply a (possibly long) delay..."

..."I sometimes wish I had bought new just for that warranty- thats a big slice of piece of mind..."

..."you could even get a spare motor from a wrecked DR and keep it on the side. Thats piece of mind and costs about the same as a warranty.
Not to burst your pretend bubble, but just exactly how/where would a person find "warranty" service in the Bolivian Altoplano? Or just about anywhere in Central America or South America.

Not to mention the thousands of dollars saved in not buying new will fund months of actual riding for me in South America. To each his own, and I realize not everyone has mechanical abilities, experience, tools, or a place to work on their bikes, but I would never buy a new Japanese bike simply for a warranty.
VooDooDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:01 PM   #72527
acesandeights
Asperger

Oddometer: 3,343
I bought new, but it wasn't for the warranty. It was because they are scarce (reasonably priced) around here. Typically they have farkles I don't want, so I'd be spending farkle money anyway. Also, mileage is time owned, for me. The mileage on most used bikes is a couple or more years of ownership, sometimes it's more than several years of ownership.

I'll die with this hammer in my hand.
acesandeights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:31 PM   #72528
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,115
holy hell, my DR is parked in the garage waiting for 50 degree days.
you're a trooper. it was 40 today in FC.

i doubt that oil cooler being blocked off would make any difference until you hit alot warmer temps. i think i've read guys riding DR with the oil eliminated.

i think the cold would make your bike run real rich anyway and that is what you're experiencing. i'd leave that card board on till it goes above 50 and ride away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shu View Post
I frequently ride in cold temps (as long as the roads are dry). Recently I set a new record for myself.

When it's in the 30's and 40's *F, I find it takes the DR (w/ stock BST carb) about 3-4 minutes warming up in the driveway and another 6-8 minutes of easy running on the road to fully warm up and run smoothly.

In the 20's it takes a bit longer and really runs pretty rough at lower rpms for 10-15 minutes. In the low 20's I usually velcro a piece of cardboard in front of the oil cooler screen guard to block some of the direct air flow.

A few days ago, I rode out at midday when the temps were in the 30's and stayed out longer than I expected. When I started home from Denver in the dark it was about 20* and by the time I got to my house in the mountains it was just 3*. Brrrrrrrrr.

I found the DR with the cardboard wind blocker in place would run ok at mid rpms but it never really warmed up at all and when I pulled away from stop signs, etc. I really had to give it a lot of gas and slip the clutch to keep it running.

Questions:

1.How bad was that ride for my motor? (Synthetic 10 W 40)

2. Is this cold running problem typical for a carbureted motor?

3. Should I velcro the cardboard directly touching the oil radiator itself instead of leaving the air space between the guard and the radiator open?

4. As the day warms up, at what temp do you think I should be wary of using anything to block the cooler?

5. How would I know if the bike was overheating due to blocking off the cooler?

All opinions welcome.

Thanks......................shu
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350
eakins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:44 PM   #72529
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by VooDooDaddy View Post
Not to burst your pretend bubble, but just exactly how/where would a person find "warranty" service in the Bolivian Altoplano? Or just about anywhere in Central America or South America.

Not to mention the thousands of dollars saved in not buying new will fund months of actual riding for me in South America. To each his own, and I realize not everyone has mechanical abilities, experience, tools, or a place to work on their bikes, but I would never buy a new Japanese bike simply for a warranty.
DR is not even sold in many CA countries (not sure about SA) and in ones that it is, such as Costa Rica, very rare and probably no parts being stocked anyway. In fact most any bike over 125cc is gonna be an anomaly in much of Latin America.

I wonder if US Suzuki warranties are even honored outside of the US. Having lived in Mexico for a year, I meet a few DR through riders and i'd always ask why a DR650? The answer was always, it's the most reliable 650 on the market, has no radiator and is easy to maintain. Overlanding is about proper vehicle prep, bring spare parts and having some mechanical aptitude not warranties.

I'd say a low mileage, 2004+ would be an ideal used candidate if one can be found.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350
eakins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:59 PM   #72530
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
I frequently ride in cold temps (as long as the roads are dry). Recently I set a new record for myself.

When it's in the 30's and 40's *F, I find it takes the DR (w/ stock BST carb) about 3-4 minutes warming up in the driveway and another 6-8 minutes of easy running on the road to fully warm up and run smoothly.

In the 20's it takes a bit longer and really runs pretty rough at lower rpms for 10-15 minutes. In the low 20's I usually velcro a piece of cardboard in front of the oil cooler screen guard to block some of the direct air flow.

A few days ago, I rode out at midday when the temps were in the 30's and stayed out longer than I expected. When I started home from Denver in the dark it was about 20* and by the time I got to my house in the mountains it was just 3*. Brrrrrrrrr.

I found the DR with the cardboard wind blocker in place would run ok at mid rpms but it never really warmed up at all and when I pulled away from stop signs, etc. I really had to give it a lot of gas and slip the clutch to keep it running.

Questions:

3. Should I velcro the cardboard directly touching the oil radiator itself instead of leaving the air space between the guard and the radiator open?

4. As the day warms up, at what temp do you think I should be wary of using anything to block the cooler?

All opinions welcome.

That's some serious Butt Tough Cold riding! I wimp out in the 40's!
By the 20's I beg for mercy! My biggest worry is black ice. I've only hit it once ... made it through ... barely.

Would going richer on jetting help here? Maybe go rich on needle clip and turn out fuel-air screw? Or leave enricher (choke) on?

Don't know much regards covering the oil cooler but I doubt any damage would be done if you left it covered ... even into the 60's. The engine is still AIR COOLED and the fins do a lot of cooling regardless of the cooler.

I like you're idea of a good warm up when it's super cold. Let those parts warm up before putting a load on them. Syn oil is the way. Perfect for the cold. 10-40 should be OK.

Coldest I've ever ridden in (on motorcycles) is 10F. Nearly died! I had to get from N. Utah down through North rim of Grand Canyon, then South from there were it finally warmed up a bit. I was FROZEN solid.

Of course I rode snow mobiles in the Antarctic at minus 40F! Hardest part?
getting the fricken thing started! That was our record cold for the Winter in that part of the Banana belt of the Antarctic.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:03 PM   #72531
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,584
205'b Grifter

Quote:
All opinions welcome.
Alrighty then, here's mine.......................
Disclaimer: my career was sitting at a desk.

Quote:
i frequently ride in cold temps (as long as the roads are dry). Recently i set a new record for myself.
Records are awesome, I chased and hit my all time summer high: 15,000 miles (start 28,400 - end 43,400).

Quote:
when it's in the 30's and 40's *f, i find it takes the dr (w/ stock bst carb) about 3-4 minutes warming up in the driveway and another 6-8 minutes of easy running on the road to fully warm up and run smoothly.

In the 20's it takes a bit longer and really runs pretty rough at lower rpms for 10-15 minutes. In the low 20's i usually velcro a piece of cardboard in front of the oil cooler screen guard to block some of the direct air flow.

A few days ago, i rode out at midday when the temps were in the 30's and stayed out longer than i expected. When i started home from denver in the dark it was about 20* and by the time i got to my house in the mountains it was just 3*. Brrrrrrrrr.
I found the dr with the cardboard wind blocker in place would run ok at mid rpms but it never really warmed up at all and when i pulled away from stop signs, etc. I really had to give it a lot of gas and slip the clutch to keep it running.
When you're experiencing these colder temps (<50*), I'm home watching TV, where I belong. However; if I were knutz like you, I'd get a good oil temp gauge and block airflow until I got the temp up, at least 200*. This would include fastening something to the frame down-tube (like a wide reverse fender blocking the cylinder). Yep, that's what I'd do.

Another note, once inna while I forget to turn off my choke. I'll end up 20 miles from the house and wonder why the bike runs like crap at a light or stop sign. Hmmmmmm About that time the light will go on; I'll look down and sure enough I left the choke on. My point is, the bike will run fine with the choke on, it's only noticeable at idle; when the bike is giving you cold temperature fits, put the choke on.

Quote:
Questions:
1.how bad was that ride for my motor? (synthetic 10 w 40)
Your motor didn't even notice.

Short hot oil opinion: I run full synthetic too. After a few thousand miles (20,000?), I quit thinking about my oil temps. Currently, I feel that my ankles will melt before the DR is compromised by heat. And that's the reason that I run full synthetic. If the Zuki engineers are ok with dino oil (in the manual), I'm ok with anything + full synthetic.

Oops, back to the question:
Cold oil comment: The recent spat of CSS seals unseating themselves has me wondering. The reports say that it's most likely that they'll pop loose right at start-up, so it may be an oil pressure issue; I run 15w-50 so this could affect me directly. Procycle has recently marketed a CSS seal retainer, cheap insurance. www.Procycle.US

Quote:
Yes. Once FI is perfected for each motorcycle application, like today's cars, this issue won't exist. IMO But at this time I prefer carbs. If my bike quits somewhere, there would be a 5% chance that I could fix/figure out FI.

Random thought: moisture in the oil (condensation is present most of the time, physics); water turns to steam at 212*, at which time the water is cooked out of the oil. Temps below 212* implies that there is still moisture in the oil/crankase. So just because the moisture turns to steam, how does it get out of the crankcase? The answer: when your bike is running, remove the oil fill cap; you'll feel each time the piston travels down in the cylinder; it displaces a lot of air each time. With the oil cap in place, that same pulse is traveling thru the crankcase vent, displacing most of the crankcase volume within a few minutes. When my oil temps are under 200*, I'm starting to get uncomfortable. No, I don't quit and go home, but I don't care to do that on a regular basis. My oil temp is in the oil pressure port, bottom center of the motor.

Quote:
3. Should i velcro the cardboard directly touching the oil radiator itself instead of leaving the air space between the guard and the radiator open?
The only way to know this accurately, is to have an oil temp gauge. Looking at mine, there is about 5/8" behind the radiator shield. I'd tie the cardboard to the shield, behind it.

This is what I have because it's what was available 'back then' (but pricey)..

Quote:
4. As the day warms up, at what temp do you think i should be wary of using anything to block the cooler?
For me, the oil temp would decide this. I've seen 275* oil temp on a slow, hot summer ride (up Mt. Herman Rd). 275* is a long way under a full synthetic's 'comfort zone'. Watch NASCAR, they're using a full syn, so I'm ok with 'whatever'.

Quote:
5. How would i know if the bike was overheating due to blocking off the cooler?
Yer boots will melt................... synthetics rock.

Quote:
I lost a little continuity in my reply, it's midnight.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:12 PM   #72532
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by VooDooDaddy View Post

Well there are Suzuki dealers throughout Latin America ... but they are not that common and mostly only ever in capital cities ... and I'm not even sure if a USA American Suzuki warranty would even be valid out of USA or Canada. Anyone know for sure?

If the warranty IS valid ... and you could find a Suzuki dealer that sells DR650's, then you might be OK.

But generally speaking that ain't happening. Although there are Police forces now using the DR in Ecuador and I think Colombia. Suzuki do well with their Outboard motors down there, so one may find Suzuki Marine dealer. No idea if any could help out.

If Suzuki DID cover but the dealer did not carry DR650's ... well you may be in for quite a wait on parts ... like weeks. But things are looking up as Suzuki, and the DR650, make more inroads into S. America.

Suzuki Freewind in Ecuador (based on DR650)
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:36 PM   #72533
canoli
human

Oddometer: 1,471
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Well there are Suzuki dealers throughout Latin America ... but they are not that common and mostly only ever in capital cities ... and I'm not even sure if a USA American Suzuki warranty would even be valid out of USA or Canada. Anyone know for sure?
FWIW I was told flat out by my authorized dealer that when the bike left the USA ( I was heading to SE Asia) , an extended warranty from Suzuki would no longer be valid. Found out that there are no authorized Suzuki DR 650 mechanics in Thailand. Was able to track down factory trained/ authorized techs for a Hayabusa..but not a DR650.

Canoli

canoli screwed with this post 01-04-2013 at 11:42 PM
canoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 06:52 AM   #72534
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,268
Quote:

Questions:

All opinions welcome.

If you're regularly running those temps I'd switch to a 0W40 weight oil. That's what I run in my quad that I use for a snow plow in the winter. I use Amsoil full synthetic and it looks just like a 10W40 even in minus 20 temps. Good cold flow properties and quad starts easily.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:13 AM   #72535
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,189
Quote:
in the Antarctic at minus 40F
You mean -40C also
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:23 AM   #72536
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 641
Quote:
That's some serious Butt Tough Cold riding! I wimp out in the 40's!
By the 20's I beg for mercy! My biggest worry is black ice. I've only hit it once ... made it through ... barely.

Would going richer on jetting help here? Maybe go rich on needle clip and turn out fuel-air screw? Or leave enricher (choke) on?

Don't know much regards covering the oil cooler but I doubt any damage would be done if you left it covered ... even into the 60's. The engine is still AIR COOLED and the fins do a lot of cooling regardless of the cooler.

I like you're idea of a good warm up when it's super cold. Let those parts warm up before putting a load on them. Syn oil is the way. Perfect for the cold. 10-40 should be OK.

Coldest I've ever ridden in (on motorcycles) is 10F. Nearly died! I had to get from N. Utah down through North rim of Grand Canyon, then South from there were it finally warmed up a bit. I was FROZEN solid.

getting the fricken thing started! That was our record cold for the Winter in that part of the Banana belt of the Antarctic.
When I was a youngster my bikes were my only form of transportation.....I once literally got hypothermia on a long night ride in sub-freezing weather. I couldn't make it home, had to stop at a friends house to try and warm up, ended up staying there for a day till I was good enough to hit the road again. The bike was one of my 2 stroke street bikes, I think it was my Suzuki GT185 twin....it ran awesome in the cold.......me, not so much I got my first car soon after that........

I haven't been much of a real cold weather rider since
Old 01-05-2013, 08:19 AM   #72537
sunthechip
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
Hi guys,

I need help. My DR has been slow to start up. It usually starts on the 1st or 2nd crank, and now it takes 10+ cranks, and once the engine gets going it starts from a whimper and takes some time before it starts to rev at the normal ilde speed.

Here are the circumstances:

-Recently I changed to a Shorai Lithium battery.
-I swapped the old standard spark plugs for a set of Iridium CR10EIX plugs.
-I store the bike outside.
-It has been cold lately; yesterday the high was 43F and the low was 34F, and there was light rain.
-I have been using Startron Enzyme fuel treatment.
-The engine starts almost instantly after the bike has been warmed up.
-It seems as though there is a lot of white vapor coming out of the exhaust on startup, and it dissapears after I have been riding for a while ( this was yesterday, so it might have been the cold and high humidity).
-It may just be my imagination, but the exhaust has a weird smell to it now- almost like burnt rubber/plastic.
-I adjusted the valves not too long ago (2-3k mi. back), and I did it by the book.
-Sometimes I run the hand warmers and the high beam (brighter bulb) at the same time.

Thats about all I can think of.

Also:
-The time for an oil change and air filter clean is due soon. (Mostly street riding)

sunthechip screwed with this post 01-05-2013 at 08:29 AM
sunthechip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:18 AM   #72538
PPCLI-Jim
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 221
shut off the warmers about 10 min before the bike gets shut off. that should make a difference. that way the battery gets all the wattage to fully top it up before it gets shut down .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_if_muk2ok

I ride year round to but its warmer here .

http://www.youtube.com/user/spudhead/videos?view=0 my youtube channel

PPCLI-Jim screwed with this post 01-05-2013 at 09:25 AM
PPCLI-Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:51 AM   #72539
shu

Oddometer: 957
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
holy hell, my DR is parked in the garage waiting for 50 degree days.
you're a trooper. it was 40 today in FC.

Yeah, I have Hippo Hands, 3 layers of gloves, electric vest and lots of layers top and bottom. I stay pretty comfortable down into the 20's; below that my rides are usually no more than an hour before I look for some hot coffee.

i'd leave that card board on till it goes above 50 and ride away.
I think that's what I'll do. I'll probably arrange it so it blocks even more air below 30*.

thanks.......shu
shu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:10 AM   #72540
shu

Oddometer: 957
Quote:

That's the beauty of Colorado riding. The humidity is so low we rarely have any black ice forming. We have to watch out for shady spots where the previous days snow melt froze overnight, but usually once the roads are melted off and dry they're good to ride no matter how cold.

I thought about that. Cold air = denser, more oxygen per unit volume? so more oxygen with the same amount of fuel metered through the carb = leaner mixture? Do I have that right?

I thought about putting my choke back on but with 3 layers of gloves I couldn't find the carb mounted choke under my IMS tank- and I wasn't going to stop and pull off my gloves to find it either.

That's a long ride at those temps. A lot different from just going across town. I did a similar ride when I bought my F800 ST (BMW) in Salt Lake City a few years ago. It was the beginning of December and I rode it home to Denver. Parts of that ride I was in survival mode, continuously wiggling fingers and toes and moving around on the seat.

.............shu
shu is offline   Reply With Quote