Old 01-13-2013, 11:26 AM   #72796
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingleTrackJeff View Post
GPR question

I just revived a V1 GPR from E bay

They don't make a mount for my DR 650, it looks like the pivot arm should be centered on the triple clamp stem.
I know it centers left and right but when centered fro and aft it doesn't leave a lot of room for the fixed arm to clear.
The only thing I could find at GPR says the fixed pin should be in the middle of the slot not at the end.
Any help would be great, I am going to need to drill and tap the top of my bar mounts and will only get one chance to get it correct

Anyone got any thoughts of wisdom that might help?

Thanks Jeff
The fixed pin only needs to be in the middle of the arm if the arm pivot point is not centered over the steerer tube.

If it is perfectly centered, then the post and arm should be completely static in relation to one another from lock to lock on the bars.

The GPR V2 on my TT350 is mounted way forward as otherwise the post would be several cm inside the fuel tank.

Not ideal, but it works.
Old 01-13-2013, 11:27 AM   #72797
Old Fart At Play
Mad about thumpers

Oddometer: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by skysailor View Post
So, I have an '02 with a seized front calliper, a slight oil leak at the cylinder top and the itch to buy a brand spanking NEW one! Looks like Suzuki has made no changes to this wonderful machine for yet another year? Any reason NOT to buy a new one? Didn't think so. It's a bike I will have forever. They're just so damn simple!
Lyle
Hi Lyle,

J&J Sports were recently advertising a new 2012 leftover for $5699. On the other hand, yours is fairly low mieage, caliper kits are cheap, and my '04 with 85K is running fine in spite of considerable winter use in NWO. So yours should have many more years of use & abuse to come.

Steve
Old Fart At Play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:33 AM   #72798
skysailor
Rat Rider

Oddometer: 3,452
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Fart At Play View Post
Hi Lyle,

J&J Sports were recently advertising a new 2012 leftover for $5699. On the other hand, yours is fairly low mieage, caliper kits are cheap, and my '04 with 85K is running fine in spite of considerable winter use in NWO. So yours should have many more years of use & abuse to come.

Steve
Hey Steve.....hope all is well....I'm having a HARD winter.....see ya when the snow melts!
skysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 12:06 PM   #72799
SingleTrackJeff
Lurker and Hangaround

Oddometer: 594
Quote:
Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
The fixed pin only needs to be in the middle of the arm if the arm pivot point is not centered over the steerer tube.

If it is perfectly centered, then the post and arm should be completely static in relation to one another from lock to lock on the bars.

The GPR V2 on my TT350 is mounted way forward as otherwise the post would be several cm inside the fuel tank.

Not ideal, but it works.
Thanks looks like I can get it centered really close, and will check the pic location from lock to lock before final weld.
SingleTrackJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 02:28 PM   #72800
TRAVELGUY
Old Traveler

Oddometer: 603
I would like to see everyone that likes the DR650 to go buy a new one this year. That would inspire Suzuki to keep making and importing them. I HAD TO BUY A USED ONE LAST YEAR BECAUSE NONE OF THE DEALERS IN MY AREA WOULD STOCK THEM, and Suzuki was out of stock by late spring when I was ready to buy since they are not a high volume seeling model.

TravelGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug s. View Post
"Any reason NOT to buy a new one? Didn't think so."

huh?

i can't think of a single reason for you to buy a new one! imagine how nice you could make yours if you took only half the money a new one costs and used it to trick yours out...

doug s.
DR650 '07
TRAVELGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 03:02 PM   #72801
neo1piv014
ADV in training

Oddometer: 619
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRAVELGUY View Post
I would like to see everyone that likes the DR650 to go buy a new one this year. That would inspire Suzuki to keep making and importing them. I HAD TO BUY A USED ONE LAST YEAR BECAUSE NONE OF THE DEALERS IN MY AREA WOULD STOCK THEM, and Suzuki was out of stock by late spring when I was ready to buy since they are not a high volume seeling model.

TravelGuy
Suzuki would have to give me some serious motivation to buy a brand new one. If they made something that competed with the BMW Serato with FI, more body protection, and better highway manners, I might be tempted to buy another one.
"The impossible often has a kind of integrity which the merely improbable lacks."
neo1piv014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 03:04 PM   #72802
skysailor
Rat Rider

Oddometer: 3,452
Is Suzuki planning to stop bringing them over? WHY? You say they sold out. What more can we do? Stupid North Americans and their addiction to cruiser style bikes? Fuck, even H-D stopped building REAL motorcycles!
skysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 03:05 PM   #72803
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Oddometer: 2,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by neo1piv014 View Post
Suzuki would have to give me some serious motivation to buy a brand new one. If they made something that competed with the BMW Serato with FI, more body protection, and better highway manners, I might be tempted to buy another one.
The beauty of the DR650 is that it's so SIMPLE. I don't want fuel injection or ANYTHING complicating it. If you want something fancier like that BMW, then by all means get one. I'll pass. I had been considering that new Husky Terra TR650 but then decided no, the DR650 is pretty much perfect as it is. It's an almost empty canvas that you can customize to your liking, and take it anywhere in the world without fear of issues. And if you DO happen to have an issue, repairs are darn simple.

I still want a Tiger 800XC... BUT.. realistically, if I did some of the trips I want to do, like South America or Siberia or something, I'd still take the DR650 for its simplicity and lower weight. So I probably won't even get a Tiger anytime soon.

Rob
'10 Kawasaki KLX351S #320
Rob.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 03:10 PM   #72804
acesandeights
Asperger

Oddometer: 3,614
When I bought my DR650 I had told the dealer I'd be there on Saturday (I worked 10 hour days and couldn't get to the closest dealer before they closed). This was the Monday before buying. I emailed again on Thursday to confirm the it would be prepped before pick up. It was sold (he sold it out from under me after GUARANTEEING THE DEAL via email). I then tried to buy another one and was told no problem as long as I got there before the LIST of people that wanted calls ASAP when one came in (remember, we had an actual written, via email contract for purchase).

I then found a dealer that "should" get one, but only after having a deposit where the rep would allocate one to his dealership and then we'd wait for it to arrive. I waited a couple weeks for it to arrive and bought it sight unseen. In Oregon they sell before they are received. Dealers tend to get hundreds over invoice on new ones.

After going through no less than three tries to get a new bike I have to think Suzuki knows they will sell ever single one they build (at least in the PNW). BTW, trying to buy used...yeah, tried that first with even worse results. Try driving 300 miles to find out someone beat you by an hour.

I'll die with this hammer in my hand.
acesandeights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 03:15 PM   #72805
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Quote:
Originally Posted by skysailor View Post
Is Suzuki planning to stop bringing them over? WHY? You say they sold out. What more can we do? Stupid North Americans and their addiction to cruiser style bikes? Fuck, even H-D stopped building REAL motorcycles!
I've heard that dealers are selling as many as they can get. The issue is government regulations... emissions, etc. I had heard a rumor that 2013 or 2014 will be the last year of both the DR650 and DRZ400 in their current form. Supposedly there will be a new 450-based DRZ with EFI, and who knows what the DR650 will turn into.

The ADV market is huge right now; I don't see them discontinued at all; I just see them being reinvented due to regulatory BS, which could ruin what is otherwise a great bike. OR, it could be THE new standard, there's no way to know yet.

Rob
Old 01-13-2013, 03:24 PM   #72806
neo1piv014
ADV in training

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob.G View Post
The beauty of the DR650 is that it's so SIMPLE. I don't want fuel injection or ANYTHING complicating it. If you want something fancier like that BMW, then by all means get one. I'll pass. I had been considering that new Husky Terra TR650 but then decided no, the DR650 is pretty much perfect as it is. It's an almost empty canvas that you can customize to your liking, and take it anywhere in the world without fear of issues. And if you DO happen to have an issue, repairs are darn simple.

I still want a Tiger 800XC... BUT.. realistically, if I did some of the trips I want to do, like South America or Siberia or something, I'd still take the DR650 for its simplicity and lower weight. So I probably won't even get a Tiger anytime soon.

Rob
I don't necessarily need something super fancy, but considering how big the bike is, it would be nice for it to cruise stretches of highway a bit better. From what I've gathered, they already make a more powerful engine based on the DR650 that they put in the Freewind. Just adding five or ten HP to the DR and some kind of token wind protection would be a big boon to me. As we've seen from the big bore kits, revised cams, and Suzuki's own Freewind, you can add power to this engine without adding hardly any weight or complexity to the bike. As someone who rides his bike to work whenever he gets a chance, highway travel is not an area where this bike shines. The big bore kit might be pricey to do aftermarket, but I wonder what it would actually add to the cost of the bike if it came from the factory as a 725 or 750.

FWIW, my buddy rides an 800XC, and with under 2500 miles, he's dealing with his second or third "oil weeping out of the engine head" problem, one persistent "bike gets dusty and refuses to idle" problem that the dealer can't sort out, and one "chain slapping against the swingarm" problem that he had to come up with his own fix for. That engine is sweet, and the bike is comfortable, but I wouldn't buy one.
"The impossible often has a kind of integrity which the merely improbable lacks."
Old 01-13-2013, 03:28 PM   #72807
neo1piv014
ADV in training

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob.G View Post
I've heard that dealers are selling as many as they can get. The issue is government regulations... emissions, etc. I had heard a rumor that 2013 or 2014 will be the last year of both the DR650 and DRZ400 in their current form. Supposedly there will be a new 450-based DRZ with EFI, and who knows what the DR650 will turn into.

The ADV market is huge right now; I don't see them discontinued at all; I just see them being reinvented due to regulatory BS, which could ruin what is otherwise a great bike. OR, it could be THE new standard, there's no way to know yet.

Rob
I haven't seen EFI ruin a bike yet. I'm sure they've got some more modern suspension sitting around from another bike that they could pull out of the parts bin without adding a ton to the cost.
Also, a DRZ 450 would be a bike I'd like to add to my garage.
Old 01-13-2013, 03:38 PM   #72808
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo1piv014 View Post
I don't necessarily need something super fancy, but considering how big the bike is, it would be nice for it to cruise stretches of highway a bit better. From what I've gathered, they already make a more powerful engine based on the DR650 that they put in the Freewind. Just adding five or ten HP to the DR and some kind of token wind protection would be a big boon to me. As we've seen from the big bore kits, revised cams, and Suzuki's own Freewind, you can add power to this engine without adding hardly any weight or complexity to the bike. As someone who rides his bike to work whenever he gets a chance, highway travel is not an area where this bike shines. The big bore kit might be pricey to do aftermarket, but I wonder what it would actually add to the cost of the bike if it came from the factory as a 725 or 750.
I can agree with all of that... but you can give the bike all of that yourself. A 790 kit isn't bad... about $1000 with a cam. A windscreen is a personal thing. I have a Screens for Bikes screens that I really like. I'd like a little MORE wind protection, so I'm brainstorming an addition to it for cold-weather riding.

I find highway comfort on this thing to be quite superb. I have the bars at a good height, a good seat, the windscreen, etc. If I'm not in a hurry, this bike is awesome on the highway or "faster" roads. Only when I have to do long stretches of freeway, or if I'm in a hurry, would my FZ1 be a better choice (125 hp vs 35). But the DR is still more comfortable because it's more upright.

My short-term plans are to do the forks very soon, followed by a Cogent rear shock. THEN it's time for the 790. So hopefully by Fall 2013, the bike will be completely "done."

Rob
Old 01-13-2013, 03:53 PM   #72809
acesandeights
Asperger

Oddometer: 3,614
The EPA publishes all of the bikes and their current emissions versus the requirements. It's probably been six months or a year ago that I looked at it but the DR650 was no where near the limits. The carbed DR650 could go years without an upgrade to EFI. The EFI issue comes up year after year with people wondering if it's the last year of the DR650. If it is the last year, it has nothing to do with the US EPA.

I'll die with this hammer in my hand.
acesandeights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 03:58 PM   #72810
crazy88
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Diagnosis

Quote:
And if you DO happen to have an issue, repairs are darn simple.
So about those darn simple repairs...I bought my first bike, a decent condition DR 3 weeks ago, and dropped it on some wet grass a few days ago. Handlebars bent, got some ordered, etc. The worrying thing is now my chain makes a fun buzzing sound as if it's rubbing something. Truth be told, I never looked at my chain before it made annoying sounds, but now that I do when I'm rolling I notice it seemed to have a fair bit of play both up and down and side to side. When stopped, I can touch the chain in the middle of the sprockets to the top of what maybe is called the swing arm? I honestly don't know the name of most parts...

I tightened and lubed it, thinking it was just too much slack. And wouldn't you know it the buzzing just got louder. I is confused. Sure I could take it to the service center, but if I can't do the simplest of effing repairs, why did I buy a DR? So I turn to you good people. Also, if you can recommend what sort of service manual I can buy that will edumacate me as an absolute noob, I'm all ears.
crazy88 is offline   Reply With Quote