ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-31-2013, 07:27 PM   #73351
acesandeights
Asperger
 
acesandeights's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: So. Oregon
Oddometer: 3,471
Probably hurt nothing. You don't need a clutch.

ETA: I had a little pickup and the clutch went out (common problem with that model). I drove for over a month without a clutch at all. You can get so good at it the transmission won't know the difference.
__________________
http://breakingbooks.wordpress.com
http://www.kenmarshallmetalworks.com/
I may not be Rainman, but I'm not stupid eighter. Like Bartek on a taco.

I'll die with this hammer in my hand.

acesandeights screwed with this post 01-31-2013 at 08:52 PM
acesandeights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:39 PM   #73352
GSF1200S
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: Austin, Texas
Oddometer: 975
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunthechip View Post
I accidentally shifted without pulling the clutch in and was wondering if that has done any damage to the engine.

The 1st time was a down shift when I was going about 30-40mph, and the 2nd time was when I shifted into 1st from neutral at a stand still.

I have never done this before - I din't even know that it was possible, but I know it is bad for my bike.

Thanks
It is harder on the gearbox then using the clutch, so certainly dont make a habit of it. That said, sometimes it happens and it certainly isnt going to ruin anything. I had an accidental no clutch downshift into 2nd when I hit a rut covered by leaves and pine needles- bike still shifts into second like the day I bought it.
GSF1200S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:51 PM   #73353
sunthechip
Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2012
Oddometer: 91
Okay, thanks guys!
sunthechip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:40 PM   #73354
eakins
Butler Maps
 
eakins's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2002
Location: Fort Collins, Colorado
Oddometer: 17,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by spotlight View Post
I have searched this thread until my eyes are bugged out. Has anyone changed their DR bars to the Pro Taper Woods High bends? if so what's your take any noticeable change. If there is a tread on this can someone direct me to it kinda a noob here.....great thread!
i'm using PT SE ATV mid and love it.
__________________
Butler Maps - motorcycle maps for riders by riders -
Alaska
AZ map COBDR AZBDR IDBDR South East map
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Labor Day Sale: $10/map (6-10 maps) + free case
http://www.butlermaps.com/6for60
eakins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:37 PM   #73355
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams
 
Adv Grifter's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Passing ADV Stalkers in California
Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by spotlight View Post
I have searched this thread until my eyes are bugged out. Has anyone changed their DR bars to the Pro Taper Woods High bends? if so what's your take any noticeable change. If there is a tread on this can someone direct me to it kinda a noob here.....great thread!
Try this thread:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=634120

I never minded the stock bars ... but prefer my Pro Tapers. Less vibration from Alu bars. I uses Pro Taper risers ... up about one inch. Still retains the rubber damping ... which is important, IMO.

Straight forward job ... be sure to buy bark busters made for FAT bars.

Adv Grifter screwed with this post 01-31-2013 at 09:43 PM
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:42 PM   #73356
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams
 
Adv Grifter's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Passing ADV Stalkers in California
Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunthechip View Post
I accidentally shifted without pulling the clutch in and was wondering if that has done any damage to the engine.

The 1st time was a down shift when I was going about 30-40mph, and the 2nd time was when I shifted into 1st from neutral at a stand still.

I have never done this before - I din't even know that it was possible, but I know it is bad for my bike.

Thanks
Not really a problem. Did you know ALL motocross bikes are designed and built to do Clutch-less shifts? This is not new. Most Japanese off road bikes are built to handle this. But ... our DR has what some might consider a more delicate trans ... SO DON'T DO IT TOO MUCH! Or at least not under full throttle ... which is how the Moto kids shift.

The occasional shifting error is unlikely to hurt anything.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:05 AM   #73357
Thumper Dan
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: Australia, Northern NSW
Oddometer: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob.G View Post
Those are both magnetic, and they really need a "flatter" tank top than the IMS tank has (or even the stock DR tank). IMO the best tank bags available are the Wolfman or the Giant Loop. I have the Giant Loop because I got a deal on it used in the Flea Market, and it really is waterproof. BUT, the map pocket still seems to draw moisture, which is odd.

Rob
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob.G View Post
Those are both magnetic, and they really need a "flatter" tank top than the IMS tank has (or even the stock DR tank). IMO the best tank bags available are the Wolfman or the Giant Loop. I have the Giant Loop because I got a deal on it used in the Flea Market, and it really is waterproof. BUT, the map pocket still seems to draw moisture, which is odd.

Rob
I'm looking at a tank bag too and am now interested in the giant Loop Fandango bag http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Giant-Loo...#ht_584wt_1085 which is waterproof (more than the worlfman tank bag).

How do you think they'd fit on the safari tank? I'm someone that likes to watch the speedo as much as possible but if its blocking my view of how fast I'm going, well it makes Mr Policeman more interested in me
__________________
Currently riding DR650 (2011)
Mods: Manrack, ebay 48 litre top box, grind header pipe; B&B bash plate; bigger/better tool compartment (pvc pipe) - Screens For Bikes Windscreen, TM40 Pumper Carb, Safari Tank, Seat Concepts, Oxford Heater Grips, Highway Pegs, Wolfman Expidition bags and racks, HDB handguards, Cogent Mojave rear shock, intiminators, GSX muffler/mod
Thumper Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 01:10 AM   #73358
GSF1200S
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: Austin, Texas
Oddometer: 975
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper Dan View Post
I'm looking at a tank bag too and am now interested in the giant Loop Fandango bag http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Giant-Loo...#ht_584wt_1085 which is waterproof (more than the worlfman tank bag).

How do you think they'd fit on the safari tank? I'm someone that likes to watch the speedo as much as possible but if its blocking my view of how fast I'm going, well it makes Mr Policeman more interested in me
I have a giant loop fandango and an IMS tank on the way- ill report back here with some pics when I get it set up. That said, the Safari tank im sure is taller.

In terms of waterproofness, I seam sealed the hell out of the bag and then subjected it to a full on blast with a garden hose- inside of the bag stayed dry. As someone said above though, a little moisture accumulated on the map pocket (clear part), so some moisture had to leak through. Im going to pick up another tube of the stuff and give the whole front area of the bag a go-over and see if that helps..
GSF1200S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 06:11 AM   #73359
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"
 
Rusty Rocket's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Northcentral CT
Oddometer: 8,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpet View Post
Go to ProTaper or Renthal's site (or RockyMountain) and compare all the bends and rises.

I am putting on Renthal RC Highs myself. Different bends for different folks.
Can someone point me to the stock measurements of DR650 bars? I bought mine with Renthal bars already on it, but still not tall enough. I would like to know how far they have been raised (if at all) before trying to go higher. I think the clutch cable from an RM or RMX is longer and fits. Anyone confirm that? Thanks
__________________
In the beginning, there was nothing. Even That exploded
2009 DR650
..1972 Penton Six-Days ..1971 Suzuki TS185.. 2005 KTM 400exc
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 07:01 AM   #73360
Minsk99
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Cambridge, MA
Oddometer: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper Dan View Post
I'm looking at a tank bag too and am now interested in the giant Loop Fandango bag http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Giant-Loo...#ht_584wt_1085 which is waterproof (more than the worlfman tank bag).

How do you think they'd fit on the safari tank? I'm someone that likes to watch the speedo as much as possible but if its blocking my view of how fast I'm going, well it makes Mr Policeman more interested in me
I have the GL Diablo bag which is basically just a smaller Fandango. You might want to check that out as well. FYI, there are pictures on the GL web site that show a Fandango paired with a IMS on a DR. Also pictures of a Fandango on a Husky with a safari tank.





Minsk99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 07:16 AM   #73361
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over
 
DockingPilot's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: Andover, N.J.
Oddometer: 9,059
I use this Seal Line bag. Fits nicely in the limited cockpit space, holds plenty and is waterproof. I have 2 Wolfman Enduro bags. Used them on other bikes. Tried it on the DR but they were too intrusive for me. This seal line bag is flatter.





Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
Frank Reinbold

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"

DockingPilot screwed with this post 02-01-2013 at 07:22 AM
DockingPilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 07:41 AM   #73362
Lil' Steve
PussyWagon™ Chauffer
 
Lil' Steve's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Da Bronx, NYC
Oddometer: 3,815
Quote:
Originally Posted by DockingPilot View Post

Tell us more about that seat, looks wide & comfy.
__________________
Steve
07 KLX250S w/300 kit, 05 DR650SE, 04 XT225
99 VFR800 w/870 kit, 96 GPz1100
Lil' Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 07:45 AM   #73363
Bronco638
Nobody Home
 
Bronco638's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2004
Location: Itasca, IL
Oddometer: 3,501
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket
Can someone point me to the stock measurements of DR650 bars? I bought mine with Renthal bars already on it, but still not tall enough. I would like to know how far they have been raised (if at all) before trying to go higher. I think the clutch cable from an RM or RMX is longer and fits. Anyone confirm that? Thanks
Here you go:

Width: 32.04"
Height: 3.11"
Pull Back: 2.32"

Renthal's RM Bend is an exact match. I believe it was $60 when I bought it from Rocky Mtn. ATV (part #: 1059960086 - silver). I also have 1" risers and am using stock cables.
__________________
There are some simple thruths......and dogs know what they are - Joseph Duemer

Andy holds the lead. And he will, all the way to the Highway. Today is his day.
Bronco638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 07:58 AM   #73364
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"
 
Rusty Rocket's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Northcentral CT
Oddometer: 8,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco638 View Post
Here you go:

Width: 32.04"
Height: 3.11"
Pull Back: 2.32"

Renthal's RM Bend is an exact match. I believe it was $60 when I bought it from Rocky Mtn. ATV (part #: 1059960086 - silver). I also have 1" risers and am using stock cables.
Thanks 638.
__________________
In the beginning, there was nothing. Even That exploded
2009 DR650
..1972 Penton Six-Days ..1971 Suzuki TS185.. 2005 KTM 400exc
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 08:03 AM   #73365
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless
 
Rob.G's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Fulltiming in an RV!
Oddometer: 2,065
Quote:
Originally Posted by spotlight View Post
I have searched this thread until my eyes are bugged out. Has anyone changed their DR bars to the Pro Taper Woods High bends? if so what's your take any noticeable change. If there is a tread on this can someone direct me to it kinda a noob here.....great thread!
I have the Woods High Bend on my DR650. They're identical in bend to the stock bars. I added 4-1/2" of rise using the ROX 3-1/2" riser plus the 1" spacers from ProCycle. The stock cables are long enough if you reroute them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper Dan View Post
How do you think they'd fit on the safari tank? I'm someone that likes to watch the speedo as much as possible but if its blocking my view of how fast I'm going, well it makes Mr Policeman more interested in me
It may block your view a bit; I don't notice because I watch my speed on my GPS.

Rob
__________________
'12 Suzuki V-Strom DL650
'96 Suzuki DR650
'10 Kawasaki KLX351S #320
Rob.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:30 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014