Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-2013, 02:19 PM   #73381
procycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,180
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenYork View Post
...not messing with the Air Fuel screw, which is still under the brass plug...

So. Anything I am missing?
Yes, you can't proper clean the carb without removing the idle mixture screw. The idle circuit passages are very small and clog up easily. Any tiny bit of crud will get stuck in there if you don't get the screw out and make sure it's all clear.
TurboDiesel Corvette - go to the end to start at the beginning
procycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 02:33 PM   #73382
Obard
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Newbie here

Not new to cycles or forums, but new to working on my DR650, and new to this forum. Not sure whether to post questions here or not. Here goes ... Why does my dr smoke blue exhaust when it's cold, then when it warms up, no smoke at all?

Obard screwed with this post 02-01-2013 at 02:44 PM Reason: Auto correct kills me.
Obard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 02:34 PM   #73383
BenYork
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
Thanks!

OK. Idle mix screw is under brass plug? Will pull that out and clean. Thank you very much.

BEN
BenYork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 02:39 PM   #73384
procycle
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
OK. Idle mix screw is under brass plug? Will pull that out and clean. Thank you very much.

BEN
Make sure the passage between the idle mixture screw, the pilot jet and into the carb throat is clear.
Old 02-01-2013, 02:59 PM   #73385
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obard View Post
Not new to cycles or forums, but new to working on my DR650, and new to this forum. Not sure whether to post questions here or not. Here goes ... Why does my dr smoke blue exhaust when it's cold, then when it warms up, no smoke at all?
Valve guide seals most likely. No big deal. You could do a valve job to fix it ... but is really of no consequence, won't affect over all performance and the amount of oil used is minimal.

Quote:

BEN
I would pull the Carb off, then pull off the float bowl. Inspect the Pilot jet,
and pull float out and clean under float needle (little rubber tip) Blow out with compressed air, carefully reassemble.

Filters: You have a little filter in the metal fuel inlet tube. It's a tiny white
filter. Pry it out ... check it for crud.

Pull petcock out of fuel tank and clean intake filter stem.

From here you should install an extended Idle mix fuel screw. Much easier to adjust. Keep reading here to learn all the ins and outs of tuning the simple DR650.
Best!
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 03:18 PM   #73386
Obard
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Valve guide seals most likely. No big deal. You could do a valve job to fix it ... but is really of no consequence, won't affect over all performance and the amount of oil used is minimal.
Thanks, that is some peace of mind. I just did a valve adjustment on it, but am uncertain about my competency in this department. Lack of quality tools, and experience being the biggest factor. How do I know if I did it right or wrong? It rattles and clanks quite a bit up there. Btw, it did the blue smoke thing before I adjusted the valves, so I don't think I made it worse.

Obard screwed with this post 02-01-2013 at 03:21 PM Reason: auto correct again
Obard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 04:16 PM   #73387
imprezagm4
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
Ok.... so I'm lowering my DR today, did the rear no problem, going to raise the forks in the triple clamp... get everything all loosened up (top and bottom clamp) and they won't budge? Are there any tips and tricks or maybe something I missed?
imprezagm4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 04:29 PM   #73388
acesandeights
Asperger

Oddometer: 3,623
I wonder if they are binding as the wheel wants to go forward and therefore change the angle of the fork tube/clamps. Did you take the weight off the suspension first, raise the bike?

I'll die with this hammer in my hand.
acesandeights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 04:43 PM   #73389
imprezagm4
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
All I have is a car floor jack... so to do the rear I just layed the bike on its side. I tried it once again, on the side but still can't move the forks :?

To confirm... there are only 6 bolts requiring removal to loosen them sufficiently... correct? 4 for the lower clamp and two for the top?
imprezagm4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 04:47 PM   #73390
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Oddometer: 2,116
Quote:
Originally Posted by imprezagm4 View Post
All I have is a car floor jack... so to do the rear I just layed the bike on its side. I tried it once again, on the side but still can't move the forks :?

To confirm... there are only 6 bolts requiring removal to loosen them sufficiently... correct? 4 for the lower clamp and two for the top?
Yeah that's it. I suggest getting the front end in the air and removing the front wheel. It's MUCH easier than trying to do with the wheel on it.

Rob
'10 Kawasaki KLX351S #320
Rob.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 04:51 PM   #73391
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obard View Post
Thanks, that is some peace of mind. I just did a valve adjustment on it, but am uncertain about my competency in this department. Lack of quality tools, and experience being the biggest factor. How do I know if I did it right or wrong? It rattles and clanks quite a bit up there. Btw, it did the blue smoke thing before I adjusted the valves, so I don't think I made it worse.
Sounds like you got the valves wrong ... you may need to go round one more full rotation and back on your timing mark to get valves in correct position for adjustment. If set right ... they don't rattle very much.
Mis-adjusted valves won't affect your valve guides. About four hours shop labor to rebuild the head if you chose. If me, I'd just roll with it. You're nick name will be "Smokey Joe".

Find someone to help you set the valves. It's quite simple once you know the drill.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 04:57 PM   #73392
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Oddometer: 2,116
I hate wiring.

So today I finally decide to go for a short ride on my DR650. I get geared up and head west, figuring I'm gonna see if there are some dirt roads southwest of Dallas (Oregon). I get two miles down the road and notice my right-side LED driving light is hanging by its cord. WTF? I thought I lost the bolt. Nope, the bracket is broken! Crap. So I double back home.

The little brackets from ProCycle for these lights have broken. The other side was just about ready to break. So I go inside and look through my parts bins. I come back out with two longer bolts and two 3/4" long nylon spacers, and replace the lower bolt in the lower triple with the new bolt and the spacer, to force the light out far enough so I can retain the reflector bracket. Takes ten minutes and it's all back together.

I test the lights. They come on... flicker, then go off. WTF? No "off" light on the switch. Grrr. Pull the side panels and seat off and try to remember what the heck the fuse block for the lights looks like. After pulling the tank and tracing the wires, I find it. Fuse is fine. Pull fuse, examine, replace. Lights work. Cool, so I reassemble.

Once back together, I test again. Lights no work. AUGH. Pull side panel and go back to fuse. Pulling/replacing doesn't work this time. Fine, be that way. Came inside in disgust. Tomorrow, everything comes apart again and I'm ripping the fancy wiring/relay crap out that the lights came with (the Denali lights from Twisted Throttle) and I'm going to wire them up the regular way like I did on my KLX250S and use a conventional toggle switch instead of that silly pushbutton thing. Simple is good.

While looking at the wiring mess, I've decided that when I do gut the thing next Winter to powdercoat the purple frame, I'm going to redo ALL the wiring and install a standard fuse block and relay block, both accessible from the side covers, and everything will be labelled. That way, the seat can stay on most of the time. At least that's the plan. :)

So yeah.. now instead of riding tomorrow, I get to deal with wiring crap.

Rob
'10 Kawasaki KLX351S #320
Rob.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 05:27 PM   #73393
trailrider383
867-5309

Oddometer: 3,064
Quote:
Ok.... so I'm lowering my DR today, did the rear no problem, going to raise the forks in the triple clamp... get everything all loosened up (top and bottom clamp) and they won't budge? Are there any tips and tricks or maybe something I missed?
Did you loosen the clamp at the top of the fork boot?
Old 02-01-2013, 05:28 PM   #73394
procycle
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Sometimes the rubber grommets in the headlight bracket stick to the tubes. A little WD40 might help.

Some bikes just have tight bores in the triple clamps. A little something wedged into the gap to spread the clamp might do the trick.

procycle screwed with this post 02-01-2013 at 06:59 PM
Old 02-01-2013, 05:57 PM   #73395
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,689
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailrider383 View Post
Did you loosen the clamp at the top of the fork boot?
?
nice call.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote