Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-2013, 11:21 PM   #73411
nzrian
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by planemanx15 View Post
Bit the bullet today and bought my 790 kit!! Going to change out the clutch while I'm in there and check the NSU. I will post a thread\tutorial on here for anybody that is thinking about doing it.
i would be keen on a thread for this.
good luck with it.
Old 02-02-2013, 12:49 AM   #73412
BergDonk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,907
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obard View Post
Ok, so putting the timing mark in the center of the inspection hole isn't exactly enough, right? I think what I am missing, is ensuring that it's tdc on the compression stroke. Please pardon my lack of knowledge, but, how do I know if it's the compression stroke?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ER70S-2 View Post
After cleaning out the recess around the spark plugs thoroughly, remove the outer plug. Stick a straw into the hole, rotate the engine slowly (ccw) while wiggling the straw so it doesn't bind on the piston as it rises in the bore. At this TDC, wiggle the rocker arms (side to side, as you're unlikely to feel the small valve clearance with the oil cushioning it), if they're loose that's the TDC you want. Rotate the engine another 360* (straw at full extension again) and wiggle the rocker arms again, they should not wiggle, this is the wrong TDC. Do this two or three times until you're sure when the rockers are tight and when they're loose. Adjust the valves when both rockers are loose. Exact TDC (mark in the window), isn't necessary, as the valves are closed for many degrees on both sides of TDC.

Once you feel it, you're set for life. You can use a pencil instead of a straw, just remember to wiggle it as the piston rises or it might bind and break. Something flexible is safer, like a straw.
Here is how I do it, FWIW:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=371
Old 02-02-2013, 05:37 AM   #73413
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 8,888
The rockers will feel slightly loose at TDC. You should have a very small amount of play. If they are tight, your not on TDC.

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 07:33 AM   #73414
Obard
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Well I'm going to give it hell today. Thanks for all the helpful hints. Good news is I'm getting really quick at taking everything off and on. I've been trying to get these darn valves adjusted for months now. I think I'm getting close with last bit of info here on locating tdc(c).
Obard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 07:44 AM   #73415
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,437
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obard View Post
Well I'm going to give it hell today. Thanks for all the helpful hints. Good news is I'm getting really quick at taking everything off and on. I've been trying to get these darn valves adjusted for months now. I think I'm getting close with last bit of info here on locating tdc(c).
Even better, with more familiarity you can consider tackling the blue smoke issue. It's probably nothing more then the valve seals which are cheap, but you will need a valve compressor tool which can be bought for less then $50. So for less then $100 you could fix the problem.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 07:45 AM   #73416
imprezagm4
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 137
Got it done yesterday evening. Just had to slide the boot down to get a better grip. It really helped having the weight off the front wheel but it wasn't fun wrestling the beast to the ground...

I'm definitely aware I didn't do it the way the manual says, now that I know how to do it, I can reverse it in a few minutes... so we will see how it goes.

Thanks for all the tips
imprezagm4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:31 AM   #73417
Obard
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
Even better, with more familiarity you can consider tackling the blue smoke issue. It's probably nothing more then the valve seals which are cheap, but you will need a valve compressor tool which can be bought for less then $50. So for less then $100 you could fix the problem.
Do I have to yank the engine out to work on the valve seals? Nevermind don't tell me yet, we'll get there soon as I get the valves adjusted right.
Obard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:46 AM   #73418
acesandeights
Asperger

Oddometer: 3,391
Quote:
Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
The flipping only limits the travel. It doesn't affect the height at all.
The manual says it shortens the overall length, not just the travel. So you get 1.6" of ride height difference just between the two holes? The two holes are only about 5/8" apart. So, where's the other 1" come from? Not arguing here, just trying to learn. Holding the parts in my hands and looking at them, it looks like you'd limit travel and length by flipping the spring seat.

I'll die with this hammer in my hand.
acesandeights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:25 AM   #73419
procycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by acesandeights View Post
The manual says it shortens the overall length, not just the travel. So you get 1.6" of ride height difference just between the two holes? The two holes are only about 5/8" apart. So, where's the other 1" come from? Not arguing here, just trying to learn. Holding the parts in my hands and looking at them, it looks like you'd limit travel and length by flipping the spring seat.
The amount it's lowered is measured at the rear axle so the length of the swingarm is where most of the additional inch comes from. Also there is the geometry of the shock linkage.

Flipping the stock spring seat only limits the travel but does also move the location of the spring on the shock body.
TurboDiesel Corvette - go to the end to start at the beginning
procycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:40 AM   #73420
acesandeights
Asperger

So, if you don't flip the spring seat, only move the bolt from the bottom to top hole in the clevis, the result is the same amount of lowering, 1.6" ?

Old 02-02-2013, 10:07 AM   #73421
procycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,074
Quote:
So, if you don't flip the spring seat, only move the bolt from the bottom to top hole in the clevis, the result is the same amount of lowering, 1.6" ?
Yes, same amount of lowering.
TurboDiesel Corvette - go to the end to start at the beginning
procycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:11 AM   #73422
acesandeights
Asperger

Thanks.

Old 02-02-2013, 10:22 AM   #73423
Rumlover
Ed

Oddometer: 707
Quote:
Yes, like Procycle said the lowering is the same regardless if you flip the spring seat or not. But you will risk the tire hitting the fender (or possibly other components hitting) if you don't limit the travel by flipping the spring seat which raises the bump stop to limit shock travel.
Remember the spring has to also be moved up the shock body (per the manual) when you flip the spring seat.

Personally (although I haven't done any measurements) I think the prelaod settings Suzuki states in the manual also play into their 1.6" claim. In other words you would have to adjust to their lowest preload setting to achieve the maximum height reduction.

Rumlover screwed with this post 02-02-2013 at 10:36 AM
Rumlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:48 AM   #73424
martinfishlog
martinfishlog

Oddometer: 23

New running lights
martinfishlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 11:04 AM   #73425
acesandeights
Asperger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumlover View Post
...Personally (although I haven't done any measurements) I think the prelaod settings Suzuki states in the manual also play into their 1.6" claim. In other words you would have to adjust to their lowest preload setting to achieve the maximum height reduction.

They do.