Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2013, 09:55 AM   #73486
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Oddometer: 1,957
Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGERRIDER007 View Post
Here is another quick question if you don't mind....is it better to have the handlebars lower or higher when riding off road?
I was thinking of putting some risers on the stock setup, so standing would be a little more comfortable, if necessary.
I went almost 5" of rise on my DR. Get 'em as tall as you can, comfortably and realistically. When I changed handlebars, I went to FAT bars, so I used the ROX 3-1/2" riser. That wasn't quite enough so I added 1" spacers between the triple and factory bar mounts (from ProCycle). The good news is the factory cables and brake line are long enough if you reroute them (just barely). Although when I decide to replace all the lines, I will probably have longer ones made just for the sake of having some more flexibility.

Rob
'10 Kawasaki KLX351S #320
'01 Yamaha FZ1
Rob.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:37 AM   #73487
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob.G View Post
I went almost 5" of rise on my DR. Get 'em as tall as you can, comfortably and realistically. When I changed handlebars, I went to FAT bars, so I used the ROX 3-1/2" riser. That wasn't quite enough so I added 1" spacers between the triple and factory bar mounts (from ProCycle). The good news is the factory cables and brake line are long enough if you reroute them (just barely). Although when I decide to replace all the lines, I will probably have longer ones made just for the sake of having some more flexibility.

Rob
Having a bit of bar rise is good for tall guys, also good going from seated to standing position. It makes the move easier. The trade off is, if bar rise is TOO HIGH, then it's more difficult to get UP and over the bars ... in the "Attack" position. This position isn't just for racing.

It's helpful riding over rough terrain off road, in deep sand and on hill climbs. Also good for increasing front tire BITE on off camber, down hill fire roads ... or the like. Getting up over the bars puts more rider weight over the front tire.

Those with Moto or Enduro back ground will get this. Noobs should experiment with position ... learn how rider position really affects handling off road.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:16 PM   #73488
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Having a bit of bar rise is good for tall guys, also good going from seated to standing position. It makes the move easier. The trade off is, if bar rise is TOO HIGH, then it's more difficult to get UP and over the bars ... in the "Attack" position. This position isn't just for racing.

It's helpful riding over rough terrain off road, in deep sand and on hill climbs. Also good for increasing front tire BITE on off camber, down hill fire roads ... or the like. Getting up over the bars puts more rider weight over the front tire.

Those with Moto or Enduro back ground will get this. Noobs should experiment with position ... learn how rider position really affects handling off road.
Agreed. I learned about that back when I was snowmobiling. Same thing when hitting a super-steep hill.. you're up over the bars, but you have to manage your position so you keep enough weight on the track. You don't actually want the skis on the ground, though... you generally want them a few inches in the air, and just like riding in sand, you steer with your feet/body.

Some of the newer sleds come with a telescoping handlebar setup, so you can change it on the fly... down low for sitting down on the trail (or climbing real high), or up for general standing/riding.

Rob
'01 Yamaha FZ1
Old 02-04-2013, 01:14 PM   #73489
ram1000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,756
I started mx when I was 20 or so and although I'm 6'1" I have continued to keep the bars relatively low when riding off road. This allows me to get my weight over the front forks and still control the front wheel. When I sit on a motorcycle with tall bars it feels less controllable. I have also noticed that the higher the bras for any given bike the bigger the bike feels. I just bought a 2009 KLR and took the OEM bars off and replaced them with CR high bend bars which feel much more controllable off road. I will have to raise the CR bars a little to clear the side fairing but it feels right for dirt biking with lower bars, and feels like a much smaller bike. I realize tall bars work for some on pavement but I suspect the bike would feel smaller to you as well if the bars were lower.
:2008 DR650 :2009 Aprilia DorsoDuro
:2009 KLR 650 :more to come
ram1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:16 PM   #73490
shu

Oddometer: 902
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
The stock handlebars are easily bendable steel,....

This is often said and I'm sure many have bent their bars but.... I've not found it to be true for me. I've dropped my bike many times, a few times very hard and haven't ever bent the bars. I do have good barkbusters on, which I think helps by spreading impact load.

I'm 5'9" tall and find the stock bars fit me well.

...........shu
shu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 04:13 PM   #73491
Honda55
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 198
Any of you want a Super moto project wheels for your DR?

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=857830
Honda55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 06:38 PM   #73492
AZ Air Hd
Rider - NOT biker

Oddometer: 82
difference of year models?

Been looking at DR650s for awhile- wondering what the difference is
Between <'06 & 07>on models. Believe I've read there is a slight weight
& H.P difference, but wonder why & what advantage there is in one to the
Other? Also between Calif. & non Calif models? I'm in Ariz, so could go either
Way if I find the right DR! & when is fuel injection coming to DR650?
Enjoy this thred & hope to add one of these iconic motos to my air cooled stable. Thanks for any/all info!
AZ Air Hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 06:45 PM   #73493
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Air Hd View Post
Been looking at DR650s for awhile- wondering what the difference is
Between <'06 & 07>on models. Believe I've read there is a slight weight
& H.P difference, but wonder why & what advantage there is in one to the
Other? Also between Calif. & non Calif models? I'm in Ariz, so could go either
Way if I find the right DR! & when is fuel injection coming to DR650?
Enjoy this thred & hope to add one of these iconic motos to my air cooled stable. Thanks for any/all info!
Don't worry about any of it, just get the one that's the best deal. They're all pretty much identical. The CA models have the CA-specific smog crap under the left side panel, all of which can be easily removed. By the time you get one and finish modding it to your liking, it really doesn't matter which one you start with.

Rob
'01 Yamaha FZ1
Old 02-04-2013, 06:52 PM   #73494
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,071
Quote:
Don't worry about any of it, just get the one that's the best deal. They're all pretty much identical. The CA models have the CA-specific smog crap under the left side panel, all of which can be easily removed. By the time you get one and finish modding it to your liking, it really doesn't matter which one you start with.

Rob
Although the purple framed one is highly collectible.

Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:18 PM   #73495
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
Although the purple framed one is highly collectible.
Hey, I resemble that remark!!! :)

(Mine's a '96)

Rob
'01 Yamaha FZ1
Old 02-04-2013, 07:25 PM   #73496
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,071
Quote:
Hey, I resemble that remark!!! :)

(Mine's a '96)
The best year! All the rest are just copies.

BTW, mine's also a '96.

Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:43 PM   #73497
Spirtwolf15x
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Hello everyone, I just recently (Thursday to be precise) bought a brand new 2013 DR650, the first one off the floor for my local shop. Currently I've only got 7.6km on her so I'm still breaking her in. This will be the very first time I've ever broke in a bike so any and all tips and pointers are welcome.

Currently I'm looking for a good "break in" route to use in Vancouver, I'm thinking out to Agassiz the long way would be pretty good. If anyone knows any others or better ones please let me know.

-Wolf
Spirtwolf15x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:55 PM   #73498
3DChief
"Moto therapist"

Oddometer: 411
Ride it like you stole it! I have done the break in both ways, the factory recommended never over XXXX rpms for the first 1K miles, and ride it like you would ride a broken in bike. I actually prefer the ride it like you stole it method and have had no ill effects on breaking in several bikes that way. You'll hear both recommendations here. Take your pick, either will work fine.
The main thing is get out and enjoy that thing as much as possible!

Tim
3DChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:09 PM   #73499
procycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spirtwolf15x View Post
Currently I've only got 7.6km on her so I'm still breaking her in.
Check out --> http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm
TurboDiesel Corvette - go to the end to start at the beginning
procycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:47 PM   #73500
acesandeights
Asperger

Oddometer: 3,181
Quote:
Originally Posted by shu View Post
This is often said and I'm sure many have bent their bars but.... I've not found it to be true for me. I've dropped my bike many times, a few times very hard and haven't ever bent the bars. I do have good barkbusters on, which I think helps by spreading impact load.

I'm 5'9" tall and find the stock bars fit me well.

...........shu
Yep, I figured I have been lucky, others have been unlucky, or business people like to sell handlebars so they tought the (fact) stock bars are weak. Mine never bent.

I'll die with this hammer in my hand.
acesandeights is online now   Reply With Quote