ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-04-2013, 09:55 AM   #73486
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless
 
Rob.G's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Fulltiming in an RV!
Oddometer: 1,957
Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGERRIDER007 View Post
Here is another quick question if you don't mind....is it better to have the handlebars lower or higher when riding off road?
I was thinking of putting some risers on the stock setup, so standing would be a little more comfortable, if necessary.
I went almost 5" of rise on my DR. Get 'em as tall as you can, comfortably and realistically. When I changed handlebars, I went to FAT bars, so I used the ROX 3-1/2" riser. That wasn't quite enough so I added 1" spacers between the triple and factory bar mounts (from ProCycle). The good news is the factory cables and brake line are long enough if you reroute them (just barely). Although when I decide to replace all the lines, I will probably have longer ones made just for the sake of having some more flexibility.

Rob
__________________
'12 Suzuki V-Strom DL650
'96 Suzuki DR650
'10 Kawasaki KLX351S #320
'01 Yamaha FZ1
Rob.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:37 AM   #73487
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams
 
Adv Grifter's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Passing ADV Stalkers in California
Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob.G View Post
I went almost 5" of rise on my DR. Get 'em as tall as you can, comfortably and realistically. When I changed handlebars, I went to FAT bars, so I used the ROX 3-1/2" riser. That wasn't quite enough so I added 1" spacers between the triple and factory bar mounts (from ProCycle). The good news is the factory cables and brake line are long enough if you reroute them (just barely). Although when I decide to replace all the lines, I will probably have longer ones made just for the sake of having some more flexibility.

Rob
Having a bit of bar rise is good for tall guys, also good going from seated to standing position. It makes the move easier. The trade off is, if bar rise is TOO HIGH, then it's more difficult to get UP and over the bars ... in the "Attack" position. This position isn't just for racing.

It's helpful riding over rough terrain off road, in deep sand and on hill climbs. Also good for increasing front tire BITE on off camber, down hill fire roads ... or the like. Getting up over the bars puts more rider weight over the front tire.

Those with Moto or Enduro back ground will get this. Noobs should experiment with position ... learn how rider position really affects handling off road.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:16 PM   #73488
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless
 
Rob.G's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Fulltiming in an RV!
Oddometer: 1,957
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Having a bit of bar rise is good for tall guys, also good going from seated to standing position. It makes the move easier. The trade off is, if bar rise is TOO HIGH, then it's more difficult to get UP and over the bars ... in the "Attack" position. This position isn't just for racing.

It's helpful riding over rough terrain off road, in deep sand and on hill climbs. Also good for increasing front tire BITE on off camber, down hill fire roads ... or the like. Getting up over the bars puts more rider weight over the front tire.

Those with Moto or Enduro back ground will get this. Noobs should experiment with position ... learn how rider position really affects handling off road.
Agreed. I learned about that back when I was snowmobiling. Same thing when hitting a super-steep hill.. you're up over the bars, but you have to manage your position so you keep enough weight on the track. You don't actually want the skis on the ground, though... you generally want them a few inches in the air, and just like riding in sand, you steer with your feet/body.

Some of the newer sleds come with a telescoping handlebar setup, so you can change it on the fly... down low for sitting down on the trail (or climbing real high), or up for general standing/riding.

Rob
__________________
'12 Suzuki V-Strom DL650
'96 Suzuki DR650
'10 Kawasaki KLX351S #320
'01 Yamaha FZ1
Rob.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 01:14 PM   #73489
ram1000
Beastly Adventurer
 
ram1000's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: Tricities Washington
Oddometer: 1,756
I started mx when I was 20 or so and although I'm 6'1" I have continued to keep the bars relatively low when riding off road. This allows me to get my weight over the front forks and still control the front wheel. When I sit on a motorcycle with tall bars it feels less controllable. I have also noticed that the higher the bras for any given bike the bigger the bike feels. I just bought a 2009 KLR and took the OEM bars off and replaced them with CR high bend bars which feel much more controllable off road. I will have to raise the CR bars a little to clear the side fairing but it feels right for dirt biking with lower bars, and feels like a much smaller bike. I realize tall bars work for some on pavement but I suspect the bike would feel smaller to you as well if the bars were lower.
__________________
Chrome and noise are no reason to ride a motorcycle!
:2002 KTM 640 DS :2003 Suzuki GSXR1000
:2005.5 KTM 950 :2007 VStrom 1000
:2008 DR650 :2009 Aprilia DorsoDuro
:2009 KLR 650 :more to come
ram1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:16 PM   #73490
shu
...
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Colorado
Oddometer: 902
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
The stock handlebars are easily bendable steel,....

This is often said and I'm sure many have bent their bars but.... I've not found it to be true for me. I've dropped my bike many times, a few times very hard and haven't ever bent the bars. I do have good barkbusters on, which I think helps by spreading impact load.

I'm 5'9" tall and find the stock bars fit me well.

...........shu
shu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 04:13 PM   #73491
Honda55
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Quakertown, PA
Oddometer: 198
Any of you want a Super moto project wheels for your DR?


http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=857830
Honda55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 06:38 PM   #73492
AZ Air Hd
Rider - NOT biker
 
AZ Air Hd's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Central Arizona @ 5,000ft
Oddometer: 82
difference of year models?

Been looking at DR650s for awhile- wondering what the difference is
Between <'06 & 07>on models. Believe I've read there is a slight weight
& H.P difference, but wonder why & what advantage there is in one to the
Other? Also between Calif. & non Calif models? I'm in Ariz, so could go either
Way if I find the right DR! & when is fuel injection coming to DR650?
Enjoy this thred & hope to add one of these iconic motos to my air cooled stable. Thanks for any/all info!
AZ Air Hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 06:45 PM   #73493
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless
 
Rob.G's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Fulltiming in an RV!
Oddometer: 1,957
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Air Hd View Post
Been looking at DR650s for awhile- wondering what the difference is
Between <'06 & 07>on models. Believe I've read there is a slight weight
& H.P difference, but wonder why & what advantage there is in one to the
Other? Also between Calif. & non Calif models? I'm in Ariz, so could go either
Way if I find the right DR! & when is fuel injection coming to DR650?
Enjoy this thred & hope to add one of these iconic motos to my air cooled stable. Thanks for any/all info!
Don't worry about any of it, just get the one that's the best deal. They're all pretty much identical. The CA models have the CA-specific smog crap under the left side panel, all of which can be easily removed. By the time you get one and finish modding it to your liking, it really doesn't matter which one you start with.

Rob
__________________
'12 Suzuki V-Strom DL650
'96 Suzuki DR650
'10 Kawasaki KLX351S #320
'01 Yamaha FZ1
Rob.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 06:52 PM   #73494
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators
 
Emmbeedee's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Near Ottawa, ON, Canada
Oddometer: 8,071
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob.G View Post
Don't worry about any of it, just get the one that's the best deal. They're all pretty much identical. The CA models have the CA-specific smog crap under the left side panel, all of which can be easily removed. By the time you get one and finish modding it to your liking, it really doesn't matter which one you start with.

Rob
Although the purple framed one is highly collectible.












__________________
Want to know more about the Garmin Montana? See the Wisdom and FAQ Thread.
Want to know more about the Garmin VIRB? See here.
"The motorcycle, being poorly designed for both flight and marine operation, sustained significant external and internal damage," police noted.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:18 PM   #73495
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless
 
Rob.G's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Fulltiming in an RV!
Oddometer: 1,957
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
Although the purple framed one is highly collectible.
Hey, I resemble that remark!!! :)

(Mine's a '96)

Rob
__________________
'12 Suzuki V-Strom DL650
'96 Suzuki DR650
'10 Kawasaki KLX351S #320
'01 Yamaha FZ1
Rob.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:25 PM   #73496
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators
 
Emmbeedee's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Near Ottawa, ON, Canada
Oddometer: 8,071
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob.G View Post
Hey, I resemble that remark!!! :)

(Mine's a '96)
The best year! All the rest are just copies.



BTW, mine's also a '96.

__________________
Want to know more about the Garmin Montana? See the Wisdom and FAQ Thread.
Want to know more about the Garmin VIRB? See here.
"The motorcycle, being poorly designed for both flight and marine operation, sustained significant external and internal damage," police noted.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:43 PM   #73497
Spirtwolf15x
n00b
 
Spirtwolf15x's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Oddometer: 8
Hello everyone, I just recently (Thursday to be precise) bought a brand new 2013 DR650, the first one off the floor for my local shop. Currently I've only got 7.6km on her so I'm still breaking her in. This will be the very first time I've ever broke in a bike so any and all tips and pointers are welcome.

Currently I'm looking for a good "break in" route to use in Vancouver, I'm thinking out to Agassiz the long way would be pretty good. If anyone knows any others or better ones please let me know.

-Wolf
Spirtwolf15x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:55 PM   #73498
3DChief
"Moto therapist"
 
3DChief's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: Montana
Oddometer: 411
Ride it like you stole it! I have done the break in both ways, the factory recommended never over XXXX rpms for the first 1K miles, and ride it like you would ride a broken in bike. I actually prefer the ride it like you stole it method and have had no ill effects on breaking in several bikes that way. You'll hear both recommendations here. Take your pick, either will work fine.
The main thing is get out and enjoy that thing as much as possible!


Tim
3DChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:09 PM   #73499
procycle
Beastly Adventurer
 
procycle's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Center of the DR650 universe
Oddometer: 1,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spirtwolf15x View Post
Currently I've only got 7.6km on her so I'm still breaking her in.
Check out --> http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm
__________________
Clarke's second law of Egodynamics: "For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert." - Jasper Fforde
www.procycle.us - Everything for your DR650 and lots of other great stuff!
DR900 Big Bore Stroker buildup
TurboDiesel Corvette - go to the end to start at the beginning
procycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:47 PM   #73500
acesandeights
Asperger
 
acesandeights's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: So. Oregon
Oddometer: 3,181
Quote:
Originally Posted by shu View Post
This is often said and I'm sure many have bent their bars but.... I've not found it to be true for me. I've dropped my bike many times, a few times very hard and haven't ever bent the bars. I do have good barkbusters on, which I think helps by spreading impact load.

I'm 5'9" tall and find the stock bars fit me well.

...........shu
Yep, I figured I have been lucky, others have been unlucky, or business people like to sell handlebars so they tought the (fact) stock bars are weak. Mine never bent.
__________________
http://breakingbooks.wordpress.com
http://www.kenmarshallmetalworks.com/
I may not be Rainman, but I'm not stupid eighter. Like Bartek on a taco.

I'll die with this hammer in my hand.
acesandeights is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:26 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014