Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-2013, 08:58 PM   #73501
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 7,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob.G View Post
I just spent a half hour replacing the stupid factory "toolbox" tube with one of those nicer, longer, more-secure "skinny tool tubes." Went on pretty easily. I found two lengths of metal in my junk drawers that were meant to be used with u-bolts. Stuck 'em in the vice and bent one 90-deg for the rear, and bent the other one at 45-deg for the front, to line up with the hole in the frame where the rear blinker used to go (since mine were relocated to the OEM rack to work with the Givi luggage racks), then secured everything with nylocks and bolts.

Anyway, now to decide what to put in it. On my KLX250S, I use two of the regular-sized tool tubes and one of them holds a zipper pouch with tools in it. No such luck fitting even the empty zipper pouch in this one. Hmmm.

Rob
Tent-pole bag. I found one through Aerostich. It's thin nylon, so it slides in and out of my PVC tooltube easily.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:25 PM   #73502
gjcarving
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by MADurstewitz View Post
Used that method when I did the 790 kit on my bike. 11,000 miles ago. At that time I also replaced all of the internal bearings with SKF bearings, new valves, guides and seals and a few other things. The bike runs 100% better now than it did when it was new. Gobs of smooth power and great mileage on the rare occasions that I ride conservatively.

Total mileage is 36k or so. I'd have to look.
How have you been liking the 790? Any issues? Did you do a new cam with it? Also, why did you change out the bearings and other things? Thanks!
gjcarving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:34 PM   #73503
blackcap
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 538
just the basics. gold valves front and rear with heavier springs for the extra fuel up front and luggage in the rear. i had the pros sort out the rear suspension for me but the front i did myself through trial and error with a little guidance from procycle.

i cant remember what bars they are and im too lazy to walk downstairs to look haha maybe they are pro taper but i dont know what bend. most of the rise is thanks to the MSC underbar steering damper. its a nice little system that gives the rise i needed and the damper is a beautiful thing to have when riding rough trails.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo Dave View Post

Good stuff. Did you alter your bike much, suspension wise, to handle the constant punishment?

What bars are those? they seem to have a higher rise than stock.

Australia to Iceland on a DR650 http://oztoice.wordpress.com
and facebook https://www.facebook.com/oztoice
blackcap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:53 PM   #73504
Spirtwolf15x
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpet View Post
40KM and zero mods?? that may be a record!
OH I have mods, they just aren't on the bike yet, waiting till she's properly broken in before i start fiddlin' with her.
Spirtwolf15x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:23 PM   #73505
bluegroove
Motorcycle junkie

Oddometer: 441
Wanna trade fork springs with me? .50 or stock for yours

I just bought a sweet '06 DR650. It has .50 fork springs and they are pretty stiff for my taste. I'd like to trade you for something like .46, .47, .48. What ya got?

I also have the stock springs I can trade if you want those. Please PM me! thanks!
Old 02-06-2013, 11:08 PM   #73506
LexTalionis
Inciteful

Oddometer: 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obard View Post
Thanks, that is some peace of mind. I just did a valve adjustment on it, but am uncertain about my competency in this department. Lack of quality tools, and experience being the biggest factor. How do I know if I did it right or wrong? It rattles and clanks quite a bit up there. Btw, it did the blue smoke thing before I adjusted the valves, so I don't think I made it worse.
And some riders here wonder why others of us prefer to purchase a new motorcycle, one that hasn't experienced the attention of well-intentioned, but uneducated previous owners! Well, here's why!

Lex

P.S. Have just read further in this thread and read about Obard's missing parts. Condolences to you, Obard. Life is a learning experience, this one will be a bit costly for you. I lacked the courage to just jump into tuning my first motorcycle, instead I looked around for someone to teach me how, being wary of just your outcome. That was 40+ years ago, I've saved thousands of dollars doing all the maintenance on all my bikes since. You'll recoup your educational expenses going forward. Lex

LexTalionis screwed with this post 02-06-2013 at 11:47 PM
LexTalionis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:34 AM   #73507
Richguzzi
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexTalionis View Post
And some riders here wonder why others of us prefer to purchase a new motorcycle, one that hasn't experienced the attention of well-intentioned, but uneducated previous owners! Well, here's why!
Lex

So true....I've looked at some real nightmares that POs have managed to perform on bikes before.....

Slow old grey haired guys with arthritis and other ailments rule!
Richguzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 12:25 PM   #73508
barko1
barko1

Oddometer: 3,284
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richguzzi View Post
So true....I've looked at some real nightmares that POs have managed to perform on bikes before.....
I dropped a mini thermometer into the gas tank of a Triumph Tiger. Guess the next owner didn't realize he got a thermometer with the bike, kind of hard to read though.
DR650, 98 Bimota SB6R, Kawasaki 14, 67 X-6 Scrambler (apart), SL350K1 (apart), 77 Goldwing 1000, Triumph Thunderbird Sport, Triumph Daytona Super III, DR650, MZ Skorpian Sport Cup, 71 Triumph Daytona 500, KDX220
barko1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 12:36 PM   #73509
dljocky
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 853
Soltice mounting Brackets?

Good day all,
For anyone who has mounted AUX lights using the Soltice mounting brackets, I was wondering if you had any problems mounting it on the side that the front brake hose guide? Looking to mount them on the lower fork clamps, but seems that the guide/hose is in the way. I'm afraid to just take the guide off, the hose might bind up on the light?
Any thoughts are appreciated.
dljocky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 12:43 PM   #73510
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,178
Vacuum petcock update.

It was sticking open. I opened it up, and it was clean inside, but the piston was seemingly stuck in place by either the o-ring or in its sliding connecting-rod. I pulled it out of the main petcock body, rotated the o-ring around for a better, or different, surface seal, and put it back together.

Works fine for now.

their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 01:47 PM   #73511
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Oddometer: 2,131
Tool Tube Update

First, thanks to the person who suggested the Aerostich tent pole sack, that's a great idea!

But... I removed the skinny tube today and replaced it with a fullsize one. I got to thinking about it last night, and thought maybe I could fit the big one in there, as I had seen other people do it before... just was never sure how. So with a little fiddling and a new bracket, the regular-sized one is in place. This is perfect since all of my most commonly-used tools are in there, in a nice zipper pouch from Walmart ($5). It eliminated the need for my Wolfman fender toolbag... which is nice, but is hard to get into, and it isn't waterproof, so your tools end up all rusty.

Rob
'10 Kawasaki KLX351S #320 For Sale!
Rob.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 02:31 PM   #73512
MADurstewitz
MADMark

Oddometer: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by planemanx15 View Post
MADurstewitz, I see that your from Jersey... is this you?

Nope.
Old 02-07-2013, 02:39 PM   #73513
MADurstewitz
MADMark

Oddometer: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjcarving View Post
How have you been liking the 790? Any issues? Did you do a new cam with it? Also, why did you change out the bearings and other things? Thanks!
I love it. The only issue is a tiny oil leak, probably from the cam chain tensioner that I haven't had time to fix. Stock cam, stock exhaust dynojet with K&N filter, highway gearing, oversize kibblewhite valves and I had the machine shop open the head up a little while they had it. I replaced the bearings because the input shaft bearing failed. I caught it just before it flew apart. With all the metal bits in the motor it would have been dumb not to replace them.

The difference between the stock bearings and the SKF's was amazing. They were so much smoother and easier to move it was ridiculous.
Old 02-07-2013, 02:51 PM   #73514
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,989
Giant Loop Fandango Tankbag on IMS tank w/ Acerbis gas cap.
Awesome fit and it does not get in the way when i stand.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...6&postcount=76

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:23 PM   #73515
1989THEARK
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 299
Not sure where to post or where to go BUT

I need a waterPROOF case for my EVO LTE.

dimensions are height 6 inches ( with headphones in)

width 4 inches(with chargin cable plugged in)

depth .38 inches

MUST mount to 7/8 bars

i am a 4 seasons rider. My phone acts as my GPS. music player.

and anything els i can find a purpose for.

whatever it is it MUST

MUST!!

stay rigid at 100mph
1989THEARK is offline   Reply With Quote