Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2013, 11:36 AM   #73606
bluegroove
Motorcycle junkie

Oddometer: 404
simple. put a 2x4 in front of one or both wheels. then push bike up onto that before jumping on the center stand.

you can cut the end of the 2x4 at an angle to make it like a ramp. Ive done this with heavy street bikes for years. Just the rear wheel will do.
Old 02-09-2013, 01:04 PM   #73607
victor441
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 729
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug s. View Post
hi all,

well, after running into some difficulty getting my center stand installed - one of the bolts holding the foot-pegs sheared off inside the frame, requiring drilling it out and installing a heli-coil type thread repair kit - the center stand is finally in its proper place. so, what is the trick to actually get the bike on its center stand? it seems there is not enough leverage to be had from grabbing the rear rack w/my right hand. has anyone successfully installed some type of grab device closer to the center of the bike? i figure the fact that i have a smaller diameter 150/60-17 rear wheel/tire isn't helping things, but it shouldn't make that much of a difference. my ducati darmah is a snap to get on its center stand, (which is a good thing as it doesn't have a side stand), and it weighs ~175lbs more.

any suggestions?

tia,

doug s.

do you have a SM size wheel on the front too?? If so you might want to shorten the centerstand, I had to take about 1.5" out of the sidestand on my DR650SM to get the length right. FWIW the removed tubing can be cut lengthwise, reduced in diameter, then used as an insert between the cut pieceswhen the stand is welded back together...
victor441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 01:05 PM   #73608
dman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 526
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
Giant Loop Fandango Tankbag on IMS tank w/ Acerbis gas cap
Thanks for the link and pics. Question ... is the gas cap cutout big enough for a standard IMS gap with shorty vent tube and Procycle check valve? The vent probably sticks about 1.5" above the IMS cap. Is there only one Acerbis cap with integrated vent ... their web site seems down and some retailers show caps that look different than your picture. Also some forums mention the threads are close but not exact, etc.

Thanks - dman
dman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 02:02 PM   #73609
appalachian
Ride fat boy ride

Oddometer: 241
rear suspenion advice please

plan on upgrade'n the factory rear suspension with my tax return(plan on do'n front forks later on) & need some input, been to ProCyles site & had a look around but really dont know which way to go, most of my ride;n style is laid back but wont hesitate to play or tackle obsticles, dig me some camp'n/fish'n rides but with a body weight of 300 packing lite is a must, besides I dont like to carry a lot of clutter.

Any advice/input is greatly appreciated with which ever manufacture but only want hands on experience with what ever you offer,
Old 02-09-2013, 02:26 PM   #73610
acesandeights
Asperger

Oddometer: 3,178
I bought the Race Tech rear shock shaft assembly with spring. I went to the Race Tech site and used their product/spring rate search. You can put in your weight and riding style. I had a suspension shop install my stuff (did the front at the same time, and a couple mechanical things). After getting the bike back and measuring sag it looks to be damned near spot on for aggressive riding, which is what I was trying to set it up for. It also offers rebound adjustment, so it's not just valved for my riding weight.

I would buy the exact same thing again tomorrow if I needed suspension for my DR. If you look in the vendors section Race Tech is offering an AdvRider discount

I'll die with this hammer in my hand.
acesandeights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 02:58 PM   #73611
MeterPig
Meh

Oddometer: 16,745
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunthechip View Post
I accidentally shifted without pulling the clutch in and was wondering if that has done any damage to the engine.

The 1st time was a down shift when I was going about 30-40mph, and the 2nd time was when I shifted into 1st from neutral at a stand still.

I have never done this before - I din't even know that it was possible, but I know it is bad for my bike.

Thanks
When I am riding trails, rarely do I clutch. On the road I do just out if habit and am trying to get out of it. The transmission is always in synch to a degree. Downshifting is more tricky.

An r1 is better at clutch less than the dr, but can still be done.

Fatfingering on tapatalk with my groovy iphone of doom.
Old 02-09-2013, 03:08 PM   #73612
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 7,795
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongle View Post

Ahh, keep doing what you are doing...I've never gotten 5000 miles out of a rear tire on ANY motorcycle I have owned. My DR is usually due around 3500-4000 depending on the tire.

I'm sure someone will come along saying they get 10K... they must count miles hauled on the trailer or something.
I run a Kenda TrakMaster II in the rear and it's shot at 2500 miles.
Old 02-09-2013, 03:09 PM   #73613
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 7,795
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob.G View Post
Everybody:

Somebody's made a Poll on KLR650 vs DR650, and we're currently losing!!! Please go vote. :)

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37395

Rob
not any more, 2:1 DR650
Old 02-09-2013, 03:19 PM   #73614
MeterPig
Meh

Oddometer: 16,745
Quote:
Originally Posted by planemanx15 View Post
Is the motoman method really the preferred? I have a friend who is a mechanic that said a lot of problems can steam from running a brand new engine hard in the beginning of its life. Then again, he might just be saying it for the business. Does anybody have an engine with a ton of miles\Kms on it that has used the Motoman method? My main concern is oil leaking past the rings.
I think lawyers wrote owners manuals not engineers when it comes to break in. Tuner shops break in on dyno.

Fatfingering on tapatalk with my groovy iphone of doom.
Old 02-09-2013, 03:52 PM   #73615
Carl Childers
Ghost in the Machine

Oddometer: 262
Question Stickers

Are there ADV stickers still for sale and who has them?
Old 02-09-2013, 03:57 PM   #73616
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,824
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Childers View Post
Are there ADV stickers still for sale and who has them?
http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...57578&page=145
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Mambo Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 04:01 PM   #73617
Carl Childers
Ghost in the Machine

Oddometer: 262
Hey Thanks !
Old 02-09-2013, 04:41 PM   #73618
Mongle
Knuckle dragger

Oddometer: 1,943
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug s. View Post
hi all,

well, after running into some difficulty getting my center stand installed - one of the bolts holding the foot-pegs sheared off inside the frame, requiring drilling it out and installing a heli-coil type thread repair kit - the center stand is finally in its proper place. so, what is the trick to actually get the bike on its center stand? it seems there is not enough leverage to be had from grabbing the rear rack w/my right hand. has anyone successfully installed some type of grab device closer to the center of the bike? i figure the fact that i have a smaller diameter 150/60-17 rear wheel/tire isn't helping things, but it shouldn't make that much of a difference. my ducati darmah is a snap to get on its center stand, (which is a good thing as it doesn't have a side stand), and it weighs ~175lbs more.

any suggestions?

tia,

doug s.
I have standard wheels on mine but, I step down on the stand and roll back more than lift. Works bettet when loaded down.
Mongle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 05:10 PM   #73619
appalachian
Ride fat boy ride

Oddometer: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by acesandeights View Post
I bought the Race Tech rear shock shaft assembly with spring. I went to the Race Tech site and used their product/spring rate search. You can put in your weight and riding style. I had a suspension shop install my stuff (did the front at the same time, and a couple mechanical things). After getting the bike back and measuring sag it looks to be damned near spot on for aggressive riding, which is what I was trying to set it up for. It also offers rebound adjustment, so it's not just valved for my riding weight.

I would buy the exact same thing again tomorrow if I needed suspension for my DR. If you look in the vendors section Race Tech is offering an AdvRider discount
Thanks for the info, think I'll check thier site & see what options they offer.
Old 02-09-2013, 06:53 PM   #73620
DR650SEDDY
ride2discover

Oddometer: 3,670
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket View Post
I run a Kenda TrakMaster II in the rear and it's shot at 2500 miles.
TrakMaster II up to 2500 miles?? WOW u must be lucky. I can barely get 2000, but da ride is awsome . For best longivity, keep them away from black top even though it's a DOT tire (that's weird huh ).