Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2013, 09:24 PM   #73651
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,701
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Childers View Post
Sorry, I should have read that better but it brings up a question I have. I thought I had read some where in the past about a filter in that location but I couldn't find it in the exploded carb diagram, I'm running an external fuel filter in the fuel line so I'd like to get rid the small one in the elbow. What's it take to do this? Also the elbow is stuck in its current position, any suggestions on how to get it off with out breaking it?
You won't be moving the elbow.
More info and pics in the link.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...4&postcount=52

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:39 PM   #73652
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Welcome to the biggest DR650 thread in the universe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spotlight View Post
OK so I took my new DR out for it's maiden voyage I had 31 miles on the ODO so I opted to be easy on it for a few.....well not so easy to do on such a fun machine and here in the mountains of east Tennessee.

.......also had to adjust the chain just after one ride.
What's your experience with motorcycles? The last thing you want on a new bike is for your chain to be too tight. I stand on the right side of the bike and lie across the the seat like a deer on the fender. Now I pull on the swing arm with my left hand and check the chain with my right hand; putting as much weight on the bike as I can. Don't pull the bike over on yourself. You can also use a ratchet strap over the seat to compress the suspension (put something over the seat to keep from ruining the cover).

Quote:
Originally Posted by spotlight View Post
So today I changed the oil and filter at 155 miles and installed the magnetic drain plug.
Good move. The one thing I wish I had done earlier is to put in a magnetic drain plug.

Quote:

ER70S-2 screwed with this post 02-11-2013 at 08:05 AM Reason: )
Old 02-10-2013, 10:10 PM   #73653
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,192
Quote:
Originally Posted by ER70S-2 View Post
You won't be moving the elbow.
More info and pics in the link.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...4&postcount=52
let me add that I looped my fuel line and have run my IMS tank dry with no supply issues.

what is a little hard to see is this whole line package stays inside the tank area and away from my knees because I used a zip-tie on the rear hand-hose clip (just past the filter) that is then looped around the fuel line (near the carb inlet area).
this pulls the line back in and under the tank.

inlet inline filter is gone so i have the 1st filter in the tank with the IMS supplied petcock (works great for me) and then this second filter inline. no crap is getting in the carb, through the gas supply atleast.

i got this whole concept from someone else? and it works great. been using for over 2ys now and I can remove the line and tank fast or do a field change of the filter quickly.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350

eakins screwed with this post 02-10-2013 at 10:21 PM
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 05:35 AM   #73654
Carl Childers
Ghost in the Machine

Oddometer: 327
Holy smokes that filter is tiny! Can't wait to get it out of there. Thanks for all the replies and links regarding its removal and the fuel line routing pix. I just went to the 5 gal. Acerbis tank so the fuel line routing is of interest. I've had to do the"defy gravity loop" on mine too, Makes me wonder when the tank is nearly empty if there is still enough pressure to feed the carburetor?
Old 02-11-2013, 06:07 AM   #73655
kbuckey
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 722
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
That's excellent! I've not used a Tourance on my DR's but have used them on my former Tri Tiger and Vstrom. Longest wearing tire in that class of the 5 or 6 road biased dual sport tires. They cost more but last the longest, work well in rain, good handling. Not much good off road if muddy or deep sand but otherwise great tires.
Yes they are great on pavement and good on (dry) dirt roads - until they get over about 6500 on them and then they aren't so good in the dirt. Just fine on pavement even when the rear gets pretty squared off.
kbuckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 06:49 AM   #73656
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,240
So maybe I've missed it, but what is the consensus on the inline fuel filter at the elbow?

Doesn't it seem to work?

Is the thinking that it inhibits fuel flow? Has anyone noticed fuel-starved motors working better after removing it?

I'm just not that worried about that much debris getting into it here for running around the USA. If i was a thrid-world traveler, sure, but ... ?
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Mambo Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 07:31 AM   #73657
procycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo Dave View Post
So maybe I've missed it, but what is the consensus on the inline fuel filter at the elbow? Doesn't it seem to work?
The problem is that it takes so little debris to clog it up. Just a few grains of dirt will cause the bike to run poorly. That, coupled with the fact that nobody (especially shop mechanics) knows there's a tiny filter there. A little dirt will cause running problems that defy diagnosis.
TurboDiesel Corvette - go to the end to start at the beginning
procycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 07:34 AM   #73658
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo Dave View Post
So maybe I've missed it, but what is the consensus on the inline fuel filter at the elbow?

Doesn't it seem to work?

Is the thinking that it inhibits fuel flow? Has anyone noticed fuel-starved motors working better after removing it?

I'm just not that worried about that much debris getting into it here for running around the USA. If i was a thrid-world traveler, sure, but ... ?
I yanked mine and tossed it. I have an inline filter, so it was redundant.

Also, with an inline filter, you can verify if it is clogged very easily. Not so with that little hidden bastard. They sell clear inline filters that have a 90 degree bend in them if you have alignment issues.

Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:21 AM   #73659
Speedo66
Transient

Oddometer: 6,119
Looking for a white, right side number plate/side cover for an '05. Anybody have one, or can recommend a place to get an inexpensive aftermarket one or set?

Thanks

Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:34 AM   #73660
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
Let me add that I looped my fuel line and have run my IMS tank dry with no supply issues.
Yep, it seems some guys have no problem with the loop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
What is a little hard to see is this whole line package stays inside the tank area and away from my knees because I used a zip-tie on the rear hand-hose clip (just past the filter) that is then looped around the fuel line (near the carb inlet area).
this pulls the line back in and under the tank.
That sounds like a good idea.

Quote:
I just went to the 5 gal. Acerbis tank.......
I just may have to do one of those this summer.........
Quote:
the"defy gravity loop"
Quote:
Makes me wonder when the tank is nearly empty if there is still enough pressure to feed the carburetor?
The important thing is knowing that possibility. Strap a spare gallon on the bike and ride until it quits, then you'll know if the tank is emptying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by procycle View Post
The problem is that it takes so little debris to clog it up. Just a few grains of dirt will cause the bike to run poorly. That, coupled with the fact that nobody (especially shop mechanics) knows there's a tiny filter there.
A little dirt will cause running problems that defy diagnosis.

Quote:
Old 02-11-2013, 08:58 AM   #73661
1989THEARK
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
This is my current setup.

I gave up trying to make non-waterproof units into things they're not.

you might have a point if whatever i buy fails. im out a 300 dollar phone.
and still have to pay my 100 for a replacement and it will probably a refurbished phone.

if you dont mind i've bin looking for a tail bag as well to carry not so large objects in.
tried the tank bag option.
it always got in the way.

suggestions?
comments?
concerns?
1989THEARK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:58 AM   #73662
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,192
Quote:
Holy smokes that filter is tiny! Can't wait to get it out of there. Thanks for all the replies and links regarding its removal and the fuel line routing pix. I just went to the 5 gal. Acerbis tank so the fuel line routing is of interest. I've had to do the"defy gravity loop" on mine too, Makes me wonder when the tank is nearly empty if there is still enough pressure to feed the carburetor?
i emptied my IMS tank dry. the engine died as i coasted into the gas station (i was lucky as hell!), with my loop above. when i looked into the tank to see if it drained dry or stopped moving fuel because of the loop i saw a dry tank. there was no fuel left in the petcock area (except for gas wetness on the tank surface) and even the fuel from the right side of the IMS tank moved over by itself to the left side (no bike tipping to the left involved, just riding). even with a loop like mine, it drains all the fuel. i would replicate my setup on another DR in a heartbeat with no concerns. don't worry about.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350

eakins screwed with this post 02-11-2013 at 09:08 AM
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:23 AM   #73663
neo1piv014
ADV in training

Oddometer: 618
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedo66 View Post
Looking for a white, right side number plate/side cover for an '05. Anybody have one, or can recommend a place to get an inexpensive aftermarket one or set?

Thanks
Procycle sells brand new plastics, and I think they actually sell the side panels separately from the other plastics. You might be able to find them cheaper used, but for new kit, they're solid.
"The impossible often has a kind of integrity which the merely improbable lacks."
neo1piv014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:30 AM   #73664
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedo66 View Post

Thanks
There are no inexpensive side covers for the DR, damn things cost as much as a whole set of plastics for other bikes.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:31 AM   #73665
neo1piv014
ADV in training

Oddometer: 618
Quote:
Originally Posted by procycle View Post
The problem is that it takes so little debris to clog it up. Just a few grains of dirt will cause the bike to run poorly. That, coupled with the fact that nobody (especially shop mechanics) knows there's a tiny filter there. A little dirt will cause running problems that defy diagnosis.
If you're just running regular old USA pump gas, how necessary is that little filter? Not that I'm too cheap to spend the five bucks or whatever for an inline filter, but I was thinking about just pulling that one out of the elbow to see how much of a difference it makes. My bike is a 2001, and I have a feeling that this was never touched by the previous owners.
"The impossible often has a kind of integrity which the merely improbable lacks."
neo1piv014 is offline   Reply With Quote