Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2013, 06:59 AM   #73741
barko1
barko1

Oddometer: 3,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierra Thumper View Post
Its just my opinion, but I would just avoid deep/fast water crossings.
Not always possible or desireable

DR650, 98 Bimota SB6R, Kawasaki 14, 67 X-6 Scrambler (apart), SL350K1 (apart), 77 Goldwing 1000, Triumph Thunderbird Sport, Triumph Daytona Super III, DR650, MZ Skorpian Sport Cup, 71 Triumph Daytona 500, KDX220
barko1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:24 AM   #73742
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,799
Quote:
And I agree the most crashed bikes get the best aftermarket plastic support....I guess we gotta start crashing our big brutes more
I'm way ahead of you!

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:07 AM   #73743
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,861
One more page in the thread, but can't open it?

This seems to be the only thread I see this in, but right now I'm on page 1847 and it shows there is one more page 1848, but when I click on it, or the right arrow, or even type it in the address bar, I'm brought right back to page 1847?

BTW, I'm on the layout "cRASH" with 40 posts per page. I tried layout "ADV Rider 2.0", but it does the same thing.

We'll see if my post here appears on page 1847 or ends up on 1848.
Smugmug Pics - Save $5 <-- Click Here
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:08 AM   #73744
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLghtning View Post
This seems to be the only thread I see this in, but right now I'm on page 1847 and it shows there is one more page 1848, but when I click on it, or the right arrow, or even type it in the address bar, I'm brought right back to page 1847?

BTW, I'm on the layout "cRASH" with 40 posts per page. I tried layout "ADV Rider 2.0", but it does the same thing.

And my post started page 1848 with post 73881. I guess when its the last post on the page, my setup has a glitch that shows the next page there even know there isn't a post yet to read on that page. We'll guess its nothing to worry about then. Just strange.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:17 AM   #73745
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,519
Quote:
And my post started page 1848 with post 73881. I guess when its the last post on the page, my setup has a glitch that shows the next page there even know there isn't a post yet to read on that page. We'll guess its nothing to worry about then. Just strange.
Happens to me all the time. In other threads too.

I'm set-up in cRAsH also. Usually happens, like you noticed, when it's within 1 post of going over to a new page. Just a quirk.

I just hate it when I start reading and get down a couple posts and I run into something I already posted. Not retention in my old brain.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:22 AM   #73746
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,965
I think the weird last page is because of deleted or archived posts which still exist but are not accessible to regular users.

Sent using strings and tin cans and Tapatalk
Emmbeedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:39 AM   #73747
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 641
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket View Post

I'm set-up in cRAsH also. Usually happens, like you noticed, when it's within 1 post of going over to a new page. Just a quirk.

I just hate it when I start reading and get down a couple posts and I run into something I already posted. Not retention in my old brain.
Its happened to me from day one, on every thread I've ever visited. Every site has its own little "quirks"...this one is pretty easy to live with considering some of the other sites I visit....ThumperTalk being one of the most glitchy/hard to post on sites
Old 02-13-2013, 08:43 AM   #73748
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by barko1 View Post
Not always possible or desireable

I noticed something that almost resembles a bike in that picture of the waterspout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
I'm way ahead of you!
Well I guess I need to catch up
Old 02-13-2013, 08:46 AM   #73749
TinkerinWstuff
Take it apart

Oddometer: 1,286
So regulars....

Some of you all might remember a few weeks ago where I put in the JE 10.5:1 high compression piston.

Initial reaction wasn't all that impressed and I was getting bad noise at low RPM that I initially assumed was pinging. Well the noise got worse pretty quick and I came to realize the problem must be the cam chain.

So I installed the manual cam chain tensioner and rechecked my cam timing just for grins.

Wow am I ever happy now!

I finally got to ride the thing in to work today in frigid 20F weather. 5000ft elevation with stock gearing and FCR pumper carb (and HC piston of course) she'll FINALLY throttle-up wheelie. This mod could end up costing me more money with johnny-law some day.

The chain timing was fine but obviously keeping a tight chain so the valves remain in proper time with the piston has an impact. I'm probably lucky the valves didn't end up with some kind of impact....
TinkerinWstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:03 AM   #73750
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Actually my xrl side covers are genuine honda, complete with heatshields....I'm a hayabusa.org member, and Justin from Honda East Toledo gives org members a discount.
BTW he carries parts for all the big 4......might not be bad to join up just for the discounts......of course with enough reading you might end up buying a busa

And I agree the most crashed bikes get the best aftermarket plastic support....I guess we gotta start crashing our big brutes more
You're correct ... XR-L plastic is cheaper than the DR. Maybe because there are so many aftermarket plastic kits offered for this bike (cheap) this forces Honda to keep the OEM prices down a bit? Babbit's discount price is $50 per side panel ... so $40 is a great deal. But for that bike you have 3 or 4 choices for aftermarket plastic. (Maier, Acerbis, Polisport) they offer complete plastic kits for around $100 to $125. (front, rear fender, side panels, shrouds) Far as I know ... not ONE company offers DR650 plastic.

The Busa is a great bike ... I've ridden them several times. I'm a bit old to to be doing 150 mph plus sport touring ... but been there, done that.
The Busa is so effortless ... a few shifts and your past 120 mph in a flash.
I only hit 150 mph ... ran out of road in Death Valley ... and too many CHP on patrol.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:16 AM   #73751
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by racca View Post
Hey brainstrust

Put the TM40 from procycle on a couple months ago, i'm hopeless with carbies and couldn't get it tuned right so took it to the local suzuki dealer who tuned it on the dyno. Farken sweet, good work guys, goes great guns. Fast foward to a ride couple of weeks ago and a water crossing up to the bash plate, make it through fine but gives a big cough splutter coming out the other side then continues to run fine ever since. Go to clean the air filter post ride and find that my enlightened suzuki dealer mechanic has turned my airbox into a big cheese grater.

Before taking it to the dealer i had done the airbox mod the way procycle suggest. The dealer mechanic however has gone Freddy Kruger And taken to my airbox with a 1" holesaw, the cover and the other side each have 3 more holes drilled in them.

Question time.

Does the TM40 need a tee put in the vent line from the carbie like the BST does?
Would the cough splutter from the water crossing be from the carbie vent or water getting into the airbox from al the extra holes?
Should I start looking for a new airbox?

Cheers gang

Mark
IMHO, it's a mistake to drill holes on the sides of the Air Box. Opening up top (per the Jesse Keintech template) is MORE than enough air with proper jetting. You should be able to ride into water up to about the bottom of the seat without problems. But your vent tubes have to routed up and under the seat. So some sort of T may be required. I don't have the TM40 but I'm sure there is a way to run vent hoses UP and away from water intake.

Also, with air box sides holed ... you will take in a LOT more dirt/sand into air box, filter will require service much sooner. With just the top cut open
the seat kinda blocks some of the dust. Still ... I use Filter Skin covers over air filter to extend use in very dusty conditions. Quik change to a clean one and you're good to go. They are washable.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:20 AM   #73752
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket View Post

That's exactly what is happening to me. I'm like hey I already read this as I'm a few posts in. It is really bad when you run into one of your own posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
I think the weird last page is because of deleted or archived posts which still exist but are not accessible to regular users.
Good point and probably the cause of that.

Quote:
Its happened to me from day one, on every thread I've ever visited. Every site has its own little "quirks"...this one is pretty easy to live with considering some of the other sites I visit....ThumperTalk being one of the most glitchy/hard to post on sites
Probably is happening on other threads too, just noticed it on this one.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:33 AM   #73753
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,799
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
You're correct ... XR-L plastic is cheaper than the DR. Maybe because there are so many aftermarket plastic kits offered for this bike (cheap) this forces Honda to keep the OEM prices down a bit? Babbit's discount price is $50 per side panel ... so $40 is a great deal. But for that bike you have 3 or 4 choices for aftermarket plastic. (Maier, Acerbis, Polisport) they offer complete plastic kits for around $100 to $125. (front, rear fender, side panels, shrouds) Far as I know ... not ONE company offers DR650 plastic.

The Busa is a great bike ... I've ridden them several times. I'm a bit old to to be doing 150 mph plus sport touring ... but been there, done that.
The Busa is so effortless ... a few shifts and your past 120 mph in a flash.
I only hit 150 mph ... ran out of road in Death Valley ... and too many CHP on patrol.
At 150 you haven't begun to tap the Busa's power, things get really interesting after 170

Miss my Busa but if I were to get another sport tourer it'd be the ZX 14.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:40 AM   #73754
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,965
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
But your vent tubes have to routed up and under the seat. So some sort of T may be required. I don't have the TM40 but I'm sure there is a way to run vent hoses UP and away from water intake.
Actually that's the whole point of the "T". You can run one side of the vent up high (even up to the steering head), and the other (original) side down low so the high side only comes into use if the low side is plugged or in a position to draw water in.

Emmbeedee screwed with this post 02-13-2013 at 04:13 PM
Emmbeedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 05:11 PM   #73755
YnotJP?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,154
wavygravy87, I have the Wolfman Gen I racks with the Expedition Bags as well as the Wolfman 1 gallon H2O tank. I am very happy with that setup. I can't tell you anything about the Gen II racks. I got mine from Procycle. Maybe Jeff knows what the differences are between Gen I and Gen II.

Well, the DR650 Thread has passed 13 million hits, with no end in site.
YnotJP? is offline   Reply With Quote