Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-2013, 07:15 AM   #73786
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC909 View Post
I may be a bit late to the tank pannier/bag conversation but here is the only thing I have found to work with my setup that doesn't hit my knees at all or hit me when I am standing.

Giant Loop Buck n' Roll
Nice work on the side covers. Maybe you could give some tips on how you made them. There has been a bit of discussion in the last 2 days about the high price of replacements.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 07:25 AM   #73787
shu

Oddometer: 992
Quote:
Originally Posted by VBdiver View Post
I finally got the access plug off the crankcase housing ... what a PITA .
Somebody prior to me must have used something smaller than a 10mm Allen & wrung it out real good. I tried heat ,tapping , driving in a 10mm Allen , no dice .
I got it out using a chisel working it around the circumference & it thankfully came loose.

I don't see in my manual the proper torque settings for tightening the cover . Can anyone lend a hand ?
Common wisdom around here is to loosen it when it's warm (the night before if you're setting valves and want the motor cold.)

I just put some antiseize on it and tighten it 'softly but snugly' by hand- no need to use a torque wrench. I haven't had any trouble with mine for 50,000 miles this way.

...........shu
shu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:47 AM   #73788
AC909
Great Job!

Oddometer: 1,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket View Post
Nice work on the side covers. Maybe you could give some tips on how you made them. There has been a bit of discussion in the last 2 days about the high price of replacements.
That would be a $16.00 Hefty trash can and many hours work on fitment, cut, and design
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1010764
AC909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 10:42 AM   #73789
bluegroove
Motorcycle junkie

Oddometer: 441
20 ft lbs! You're gonna need the chisel again next time

I'd guess 10 is plenty.
Old 02-15-2013, 02:37 PM   #73790
mmod
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Does that giant loop buck n roll just strap around the tank or to something else?
Looks like the side compartments would be a great way to carry a few water bottles
mmod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 03:58 PM   #73791
biker128pedal
Super Lurker

Oddometer: 2,896
I have been looking around at DR thumpers and was wonder how long the chains and sprockets last. I got 35k miles on the Vstrom but it is a twin. So for 80 to 90 percent road how much worse would it be? Also the Vstrom cush bumpers were in good shape. How do the DRs hold up? I found a little info searching but see what the latest opinions are.

650s rule.

Wee Strommin along.

biker128pedal screwed with this post 02-15-2013 at 04:22 PM
biker128pedal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 04:00 PM   #73792
AC909
Great Job!

Oddometer: 1,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmod View Post
Does that giant loop buck n roll just strap around the tank or to something else?
Looks like the side compartments would be a great way to carry a few water bottles
Yep straps around the tank. It is a nice capacity for sure.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1010764
AC909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 04:02 PM   #73793
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by biker128pedal View Post
I have been looking around at DR thumpers and was wonder how long the chains and speaker last. I got 35k miles on the Vstrom but it is a twin. So for 80 to 90 percent road how much worse would it be? Also the Vstrom cush bumpers were in good shape. How do the DRs hold up? I found a little info searching but see what the latest opinions are.

650s rule.
Speakers? That's what happens when you let the computer think for you.

I don't really know how long the chain and sprockets last if you do mostly road work. I get 5-6000 miles with a lot of offroad. My hub cushions were probably the originals when I bought the bike. They needed replacing at 10,000 miles and 10 years old.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 04:11 PM   #73794
Mongle
Knuckle dragger

Oddometer: 2,632
Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpididump View Post
Adjusting the preload will not make the shock stiffer or softer, rather, preload is used to set the ride height (sag).

Maybe I don't agree with this statement because you and I aren't talking the same lingo.

A spring has a set #/inch (or Kg/MM) also known as spring rate. So the smaller the set height (distance from top of the spring to bottom) the higher the pounds the spring is putting on everything. As you compress a spring through its range the pounds of pressure increase.

Just as an example- don't use these numbers because I am just pulling them out of my head:
A spring with a 6.5kg/mm going from a standard set height of 250 mm (Soft setting) to 238 mm (Hard Setting) is 12mm shorter set height. This equates to 78 kg more pressure the spring is producing- also known as stiffer.

While the rate kg/mm never gets stiffer (unless progressive wound) the pounds of force the spring produces is more. Someone who has more suspension knowledge then me might be able to explain it better.
Mongle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 04:20 PM   #73795
biker128pedal
Super Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket View Post
Speakers? That's what happens when you let the computer think for you.

I don't really know how long the chain and sprockets last if you do mostly road work. I get 5-6000 miles with a lot of offroad. My hub cushions were probably the originals when I bought the bike. They needed replacing at 10,000 miles and 10 years old.

Stupid smart phone. Can't be operator error.

Wee Strommin along.
Old 02-15-2013, 04:21 PM   #73796
t30
Dirty Biker

Oddometer: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by biker128pedal View Post
I have been looking around at DR thumpers and was wonder how long the chains and speaker last. I got 35k miles on the Vstrom but it is a twin. So for 80 to 90 percent road how much worse would it be? Also the Vstrom cush bumpers were in good shape. How do the DRs hold up? I found a little info searching but see what the latest opinions are.

650s rule.
I get about 15k from my chains and about the same perhaps a bit less from my sprockets. I ride both street and dirt. My Cush rubber is still OE on my 09 DR at 34k miles
t30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 05:08 PM   #73797
thumpididump
MacGyver

Oddometer: 2,590
I've got a Buck n Roll bag which I've used on my DR (with IMS tank) and also on my WR250. Great piece of gear. I use the middle pocket for a first aid kit, and the side pockets for tire levers, small bottle of chain lube, rags, air guage, JB Weld, and other crap. A small water bottle would fit in the side pockets, but not a big fat bottle (think 8-10 oz bottle).

On the DR, I just strapped it around the tank wings. With staps pulled tight, it won't go anywhere. I zip-tied the loose ends to keep them from getting in the way of the engine/exhaust. I don't think I have any photos that show it properly on my DR, but here it is on my WR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmod View Post
thumpididump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 05:09 PM   #73798
VBdiver
disconcerted

Oddometer: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by planemanx15 View Post
I had the same issue yesterday!! I used a dremel and an impact driver. That didn't work so I used the dremel to cut all the way to the edge and used a chisel and heat. Replaced it with the warp 9 plug Procycle offers. I tightened it to 20 ft/lbs, and I'm sure that's over kill.

thanks Planemanx15 .
mine came out just as beat up & replaced with a sharp looking blue aluminum & a matching sight hole plug from ProCycle as well . I went with 15lbs seemed to be good and snug . I reused the oring as the replacement didn't have one . you'd think for that price it would have one ?

VBdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 05:16 PM   #73799
rpet
Awesometown

Oddometer: 809
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC909 View Post
I may be a bit late to the tank pannier/bag conversation but here is the only thing I have found to work with my setup that doesn't hit my knees at all or hit me when I am standing.

Giant Loop Buck n' Roll
Thanks for posting that pic. I was riding my DR around today wondering exactly where a tank bag would fit when I'm riding forward so as to keep weight on the front while cornering. In other words - there is no room for tank bag.

Buck and Roll looks do-able.
Read my homie's underway Africa trip RR - Round Africa with a Surboard
WTB: Clarke tank for DR650 for cheap - any color but blue.
rpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 06:04 PM   #73800
biker128pedal
Super Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by t30 View Post
I get about 15k from my chains and about the same perhaps a bit less from my sprockets. I ride both street and dirt. My Cush rubber is still OE on my 09 DR at 34k miles
Good for the cushion rubber but I wonder if I could get over 20K miles out of a change. Do you measure chain length/stretch for wear or pull from rear sprocket? I measure length and just replace everything at one time.

Wee Strommin along.