Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-2013, 06:20 PM   #73801
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by biker128pedal View Post
Good for the cushion rubber but I wonder if I could get over 20K miles out of a change. Do you measure chain length/stretch for wear or pull from rear sprocket? I measure length and just replace everything at one time.
Thousands of Chain/Sprocket posts here and lots about cush rubbers too.

General consensus seems to indicate:
Stock DID "O" ring chain typically goes 12K to 15K miles. (mine was shot at 12K miles) YMMV ....
BUT ... if you use a QUALITY X ring replacement chain you can do 25,000 miles .... IF ... you change front sprocket only every 8 to 10K. OEM sprockets work well for me. I'm on my 2nd DID VM-2 525 X-Ring chain. First one went to 25K.

I put 90K miles on my DL1000. Same chain also went 25K on that bike.

On the DR renewing the (inexpensive) OEM front sprocket really makes a difference in chain life. A cheap chain will not last no matter what ..especially if you do mud, sand a lot.

Cush Rubbers seem to last 15K to 20K miles. You can really notice a different "feel" after installing new ones (I did mine at 20K and they were past due). Nice smooth running after that.

I USE every and all techniques for determining chain wear. But pulling slack off the rear sprocket at the 3'Oclock position is fairly accurate, IMHO.
Also, once a chain needs adjustment more than every 5000 miles ... it may be on the way out. The VM-2 on my DR was adjusted ONCE in 25K miles ...
it could have gone easily to 30K.

Doing everything NEW all at once is very wise. But DO replace those front sprockets to extend your chain life. Cheap insurance. Maintain the chain clean and lubed ... it will go a Long time.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 06:50 PM   #73802
TRAVELGUY
Old Traveler

Oddometer: 623
My DR original chain has 13,000 miles plus on it and doing very well. My DL1000 chain lasted over 30,000 miles and was still good when I replaced it for a 10,000 trip.

TravelGuy

Quote:
I have been looking around at DR thumpers and was wonder how long the chains and sprockets last. I got 35k miles on the Vstrom but it is a twin. So for 80 to 90 percent road how much worse would it be? Also the Vstrom cush bumpers were in good shape. How do the DRs hold up? I found a little info searching but see what the latest opinions are.

650s rule.
DR650 '07
TRAVELGUY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:50 PM   #73803
VooDooDaddy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by planemanx15 View Post
I had the same issue yesterday!! I used a dremel and an impact driver. That didn't work so I used the dremel to cut all the way to the edge and used a chisel and heat. Replaced it with the warp 9 plug Procycle offers. I tightened it to 20 ft/lbs, and I'm sure that's over kill.

Been there, broke that.....

VooDooDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:58 PM   #73804
jessepitt
Ride More

Oddometer: 993
Wolfman tank bag on the rear.

I run a Wolfman tank bag ( the smaller non-expandable one) on the back fender for my daily tail bag.(not by choice, it was a freebie and is a very nice bag but I probably would have gone for the expandable one.) I also use a medical fanny pack for a tank bag. Sorry it is hard to see in the picks but its nothing special. I got it free somewhere. The reason I run this set up is that the Wolfman is to tall when I put it on the tank and does not allow me to get forward enough when going steep uphill. The large fanny pack is shaped somewhat similar to the buck'n roll bag pictured recently. It is low and doesn't get get in my way so works well for me there and the Wolfman fits nicely on the rear. I hooked the buckles full time to the grab handles and loop the other strap under the tail so it comes off with two clips, easy, I use for my lunch pail when I ride to work. For reference I am actually kind of on the tall side with a 34" inseam so for shorter folks I think the Wolfman bag would be even more in the way.

jessepitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:35 PM   #73805
TinkerinWstuff
Take it apart

Oddometer: 1,292
Why so many people stress about the crankshaft access cover?

I changed my piston without accessing the crank - just shift the case into gear and rotate the rear wheel. It worked far better than destroying stuff.
TinkerinWstuff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 11:17 PM   #73806
VBdiver
disconcerted

Oddometer: 50
chasing the hole

[QUOTE=TinkerinWstuff;20736606]Why so many people stress about the crankshaft access cover?

I guess I don't like no for an answer . OCD sometimes , lazy as sh!t other times ....... lol

VBdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 02:24 AM   #73807
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 641
[QUOTE=VBdiver;20736979]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinkerinWstuff View Post
Why so many people stress about the crankshaft access cover?

I guess I don't like no for an answer . OCD sometimes , lazy as sh!t other times ....... lol

Chasing the hole I hope all the holes you chase don't end up looking like that
Old 02-16-2013, 04:24 AM   #73808
greer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,703
Hefty side covers

AC909---

Excellent!

Sarah
Old 02-16-2013, 04:58 AM   #73809
dljocky
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 853
I got 21,000 + miles out of my origianl chain/sprockets. I do change out the CS at about 8-10,000 miles though(Thankd ADV Grifter). Currently I'm sitting at right under 18,000 miles on this set up. I bought the OEM D.I.D. chain/sprockets. I also changed out my cush bumpers at the same time. I look at the EK chain, cush bumpers, sprocket kit that is sold by a popluar vender here, and I'm sure it's a good set up, but I wonder if I can get the same type of life with it vs the OEM stuff? It is a bit cheaper, but not by that much, especially if I can get more life out of the OEM stuff. This drive train isn't going to make it to 21,000 miles like the last one, so I'm getting ready to order something. Thoughts?

Quote:
I have been looking around at DR thumpers and was wonder how long the chains and sprockets last. I got 35k miles on the Vstrom but it is a twin. So for 80 to 90 percent road how much worse would it be? Also the Vstrom cush bumpers were in good shape. How do the DRs hold up? I found a little info searching but see what the latest opinions are.

650s rule.
dljocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 06:04 PM   #73810
refokus
Just Learning

Oddometer: 2,314
Miles averaged

How many miles should a 650 get with regular oil changes. The regular maintenance?

Looking at an 07 with 18K on it.
Old 02-16-2013, 06:26 PM   #73811
805gregg
Just Stroming along

Oddometer: 1,531
Quote:
Originally Posted by refokus View Post
How many miles should a 650 get with regular oil changes. The regular maintenance?

You can ride from Chicago to the tip of South America then all of Africa, then India.
805gregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 06:29 PM   #73812
shu

Oddometer: 992
Quote:

Mine's an '08 with 54,800 on it now. Runs fine, sounds good, doesn't use any oil. I don't think that would be unusual for any well treated DR650. I use it for what it was designed: I don't baby it but I don't abuse it either.

I follow the Suzuki maintenance chart with oil changes and some kind of service every 3000-3500 miles. Servicing this bike is easy.

18,000 is not a lot of miles..... if the bike has been cared for.

............shu
shu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 06:52 PM   #73813
ChromeSux
Plated and screwed

Oddometer: 1,429
Quote:

Mine did eat 3rd gear at around 9,000 miles on the odo, i fixed it, about 10 miles from where i live there is a DR650 that is stock with over 100,000 miles on it, the guy rides it to work almost every day, i drive by his work place on my way to Tellico Plains.
ChromeSux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 06:58 PM   #73814
DR650SEDDY
ride2discover

Oddometer: 3,875
Quote:

Hey B. if i use AMS oil (when the the coins are good) i don't even touch it till after 5k and when i do change it, the viscosity is still good and oil is clear. Does it have any after market stuff?? Major mods? Pm a picture of it if u can.
Old 02-16-2013, 07:03 PM   #73815
refokus
Just Learning

Oddometer: 2,314
Thanks for all the replies to all.

Eddy, I don't have any pics, but will probably look at it tomorrow.