Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2013, 03:37 PM   #74011
Carl Childers
Ghost in the Machine

Oddometer: 510
[QUOTE=planemanx15;20785269]I recently Big bored my bike. I went for a ride today, and while on the highway it started to make a very loud metal sound and died when I pulled over. I restarted the bike, and rode slowly home. Initially I thought the valves came undone, but after checking it, the sound remains. Any suggestions?

I'll weigh in with the other reply's to this.......

Don't even start it again, tear it down and have a good look before any more possible damage can occur.

Like Rob I've been there and done that!
Old 02-22-2013, 03:45 PM   #74012
Feelers
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 186
[QUOTE=planemanx15;20785269]I recently Big bored my bike. I went for a ride today, and while on the highway it started to make a very loud metal sound and died when I pulled over. I restarted the bike, and rode slowly home. Initially I thought the valves came undone, but after checking it, the sound remains. Any suggestions?

Here is a video of the sound:

When my car made that sound I tore the engine apart and found that the crank bearings were chewed up pretty bad...
Feelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 05:33 PM   #74013
planemanx15
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,007
Just took apart the top end to see if its the CCT. I reset it and the sound got lower, but still there. Then I adjusted the valves again, its still there but again lower. Could this be as simple as bad gas? I just filled it using a container of gas from months ago, and then put a bunch of lucas fuel stabilizer in there. I also changed the oil, it was pretty nasty, I will check for metal when it settles.

EDIT: Update: Tomorrow I'm going change the fuel. The gas I put in is old and I just realized the lucus stuff I used was opened and last used 3 years ago. Maybe its causing part of an issue. After that, I'm going to take the whole thing apart and see if the piston top has any marks from the valve on it. If it does, what needs to be done to correct that?

planemanx15 screwed with this post 02-22-2013 at 06:40 PM
planemanx15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 06:13 PM   #74014
3DChief
"Moto therapist"

Oddometer: 411
Start/kill switches

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...=634120&page=3

See post #40 about new starter/kill switches. Don't mess with makeshift switches or repairs, do it right once and be done with it forever!

Tim
3DChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 06:55 PM   #74015
Carl Childers
Ghost in the Machine

Oddometer: 510
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DChief View Post
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...=634120&page=3

See post #40 about new starter/kill switches. Don't mess with makeshift switches or repairs, do it right once and be done with it forever!

Tim

WOW, that's great, thanks 3D!
Old 02-22-2013, 08:40 PM   #74016
jessepitt
Ride More

Oddometer: 993
Quote:
Originally Posted by planemanx15 View Post
I recently Big bored my bike. I went for a ride today, and while on the highway it started to make a very loud metal sound and died when I pulled over. I restarted the bike, and rode slowly home. Initially I thought the valves came undone, but after checking it, the sound remains. Any suggestions?

Here is a video of the sound:

I hate to be a pessimist but to me that sounds like a bent valve (Contacted the piston during high rpm freeway ride), it sounds like its not seating and hammering itself a new shape. Sounds like its running very poorly as well? Doesnt seem to want to rev? Dont run it more or you risk trashing an expensive head. This is a bummer man and I feel for you, but be thankfull that it seems to be top end not trans related so you probably wont end up splitting the cases. I may be totally wrong but theres a chance that I'm right so I would just tear it down.
jessepitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:41 PM   #74017
Mr. Canoehead
Taste Gunnels!

Oddometer: 1,498
Quote:
Just took apart the top end to see if its the CCT. I reset it and the sound got lower, but still there. Then I adjusted the valves again, its still there but again lower. Could this be as simple as bad gas? I just filled it using a container of gas from months ago...

EDIT: Update: Tomorrow I'm going change the fuel. The gas I put in is old and I just realized the lucus stuff I used was opened and last used 3 years ago. Maybe its causing part of an issue.
The symptoms don't support bad gas. Strip it down. Hopefully it is not terminal. Good luck.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

"No matter how many [internet] opinions you line up, you can't vote nonsense into truth"- Kevin Cameron
Mr. Canoehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:44 PM   #74018
planemanx15
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessepitt View Post
I hate to be a pessimist but to me that sounds like a bent valve (Contacted the piston during high rpm freeway ride), it sounds like its not seating and hammering itself a new shape. Sounds like its running very poorly as well? Doesnt seem to want to rev? Dont run it more or you risk trashing an expensive head. This is a bummer man and I feel for you, but be thankfull that it seems to be top end not trans related so you probably wont end up splitting the cases. I may be totally wrong but theres a chance that I'm right so I would just tear it down.
It does sound very poor, but has no problem revving. I'm 90% sure it's the top end. What should be done if the valve is touching the piston?
Old 02-23-2013, 02:46 AM   #74019
shaddix
Banned

Oddometer: 647
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowBee View Post
You might also try disconnecting the sidestand immobilizer switch to see if that helps. Your nanny government in cooperation with personal injury lawyers mandated these to protect you from yourself. Once disconnected you will discover the freedom to start the bike and let it idle on the sidestand.
I think I figured out it is the clutch so I'm going to do that little wiring change tomorrow to disable safety feature. I think the dr will let you start it with the side stand down as long as it is in neutral, or am I wrong abut that? I know I let it idle on the stand sometimes but maybe that's after I started it with the stand up first.
shaddix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 04:03 AM   #74020
SoPaRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 282
Will any year Hayabusa muffler work with Jesse's (Kientech) mid-pipe adapter kit, there was a set of 'busa mufflers for sale on ebay that stated they would only fit 1999-2007 model 'busa's? There seems to be quite a range of prices for the 'busa mufflers out there, used ones for as little as $71.00 for a pair ($35.50 a piece), up to $100 or more for a new one.

Jeff (SoPaRider)

Third owner of a nearly new '09 DR650SE (I'm workin' on a buildin'!)
P.M. me for copies of my 15 Michaux State Forest Dual Sport Routes; check the Trip Planning/Tent Space Sign-Up Thread/Page 33/Post #492/8-2011 for info on our "Motorcyclist Manor"; IT'S FREE!.
48 states, D.C., 5 provinces and Bermuda down; the rest of the world to go!
SoPaRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 05:01 AM   #74021
SCExpat
Ex-expat

Oddometer: 607
The first one sold for $54.95 and free shipping. The second pair sold for $71 plus $40 shipping = $55.50 each! Good deals.

Thanks for the info. I'll be searching flea bay.
SCExpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 05:14 AM   #74022
SCExpat
Ex-expat

Oddometer: 607
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoPaRider View Post
Will any year Hayabusa muffler work with Jesse's (Kientech) mid-pipe adapter kit, there was a set of 'busa mufflers for sale on ebay that stated they would only fit 1999-2007 model 'busa's? There seems to be quite a range of prices for the 'busa mufflers out there, used ones for as little as $71.00 for a pair ($35.50 a piece), up to $100 or more for a new one.

Jeff (SoPaRider)

The Kientech site lists part # 24FO http://kientech.com/DR650GSXRExaust.htm so that is what I would be looking for.

Just got a 2009 myself. Best year right
SCExpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:38 AM   #74023
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 9,216
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoPaRider View Post

Jeff (SoPaRider)

99-07 is the first gen and should be fine. 08 on up the mufflers changed.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:55 AM   #74024
jessepitt
Ride More

Oddometer: 993
Quote:
It does sound very poor, but has no problem revving. I'm 90% sure it's the top end. What should be done if the valve is touching the piston?

Does the exhaust sound bad? Like if you ignore the engine noise and just listen right at the muffler does it sound like it should or is it missing/sounding wierd? I dont know why a valve would have hit the piston other than being miss adjusted (unlikely as it weas riding just fine before) or the valve adjustment lock nut came loose and allowing the valve to move.
Either way if the valve has contacted the piston chances are you will be replaceing the valves (and valve springs as that could be another culprit). A weak valve spring combined with your new monstor motor could have caused this problem... How many miles on the bike again?
jessepitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:57 AM   #74025
planemanx15
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessepitt View Post
Does the exhaust sound bad? Like if you ignore the engine noise and just listen right at the muffler does it sound like it should or is it missing/sounding wierd? I dont know why a valve would have hit the piston other than being miss adjusted (unlikely as it weas riding just fine before) or the valve adjustment lock nut came loose and allowing the valve to move.
Either way if the valve has contacted the piston chances are you will be replaceing the valves (and valve springs as that could be another culprit). A weak valve spring combined with your new monstor motor could have caused this problem... How many miles on the bike again?
The exhaust sounds fine, its just the valves, as if I adjusted then on the wrong TDC. But like you said the bike was fine right before and only started this under a highway load. Im 100% sure I did the valves on the correct TDC.