Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-02-2013, 10:06 AM   #74191
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,178
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessepitt View Post
Just chase the wires to where they conect behind the cowl, diconnect them and plug them to themselves to make it a complete circut. This is the easiest mod on the bike, plus it's reversable.
I didn't realize so many were doing this mod. Awesome! Thanks for the reply!
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 10:09 AM   #74192
jessepitt
Ride More

Oddometer: 993
Yup!
jessepitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 11:10 AM   #74193
badweatherbiker
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 702
so I picked up some rear wheel bearings and seals yesterday and went with KML 6204 and 6205 mainly because that is all anyone had in stock locally. The seals are in question though, I have a 30-4709 and a 30-5207, does anyone know if these are the right ones?
Advocare products-www.advocare.com/12084065
badweatherbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 11:22 AM   #74194
TRAVELGUY
Old Traveler

Oddometer: 623
The kill switch. Press and release. I think that will cure your problem.

TravelGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo Dave View Post
My DR won't turn-over/ start after changing out the handlebars.

Well, I knew this was a possibility based on the experience of a friend 25 years ago... but it was an off-day and I didn't test the bike at all after installing them yesterday.

So my morning commute was changed from a ride with my new bars to driving the truck.

I'm quite sure I must have pulled some wire connection that didn't want pulled.

Where, kind sirs, in your experiences would you have me look first?

Symptoms:

Turn key on - get the neutral green light and the light for the high beam.

Push start button - nothing changes.

Rider - sitting on bike, dressed for cooler weather and work, laughing at himself... then pushing the bike back to its parking space, later driving off in a 1999 F-150 sans motorcycling gear.

Are you looking for fattest, or tallest? I went for the gearing change of taller, but am sure there is still room for more.
DR650 '07
TRAVELGUY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 11:47 AM   #74195
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
My DR won't turn-over/ start after changing out the handlebars.

Well, I knew this was a possibility based on the experience of a friend 25 years ago... but it was an off-day and I didn't test the bike at all after installing them yesterday.SNIP
Yes, no doubt you've disturbed something when you removed the controls.
Could be either the kill switch or the clutch safety switch. Try wiggling wires gently ... see if that gets it to start. If not you may have to replace or take apart one or both switches. Good luck.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 11:49 AM   #74196
motolab
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,397
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingleTrackJeff View Post
Which is the better upgrade for my DR

TM-40 Pumper Carburetor

Keihin FCR MX39 Carburetor
Some would argue that the TM is "more" adjustable, or more easily adjusted. On the FCR, all openings besides idle and WOT are controlled by needle shape and clip position. This may sound like an advantage, until you realize that for all intents an purposes, the needle must simultaneously have the correct diameters at heights that control 1/16, 1/8, 1/4, 1/2, and 3/4 openings (if the "dots are connected" then the areas between these openings should be acceptably close). On the other hand, the TM needle only has to have the correct diameters at heights that control 1/2 and 3/4 openings, as 1/16 and 1/8 openings can be controlled by the pilot jet size and 1/4 opening can be controlled by the needle jet size.

Some are annoyed by the heavier throttle pull of the TM.

Note that with slide carbs in general you are stuck, for a given throttle position, with whatever shape and slope of fuel delivery curve you have, i.e. if you have some lean areas at some rpm and some rich areas at some other rpm, that cannot reasonably be fixed. All that can be done is to move the entire curve up and down, i.e. add or subtract fuel for the entire throttle position. If you add fuel, you will fix the lean areas, while making the richer areas worse. If you subtract fuel, you will fix the rich areas while making the lean areas worse.

The compression and ignition timing on a DR are probably such that the improved cylinder filling afforded by a slide carb will nothing but beneficial, but I'd still want to have a look at NOX or a cylinder pressure trace to be sure. Perhaps a move to premium would be in order.

Regards,

Derek
motolab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 12:01 PM   #74197
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Derek,
What about the consideration of things like squirt duration and angle, the use of different pump diaphragms, different post heights, and tuning with the leak jet.

Last month's MCN had a nice piece on tuning an FCR. It talked about the various elements in this carb and the various options and kits available to fine tune it to suit use.

I went through this back in '08 when setting up my '07 WR250F. Since then much more has been learned. I'm running a JD Jetting kit (3 needle tapers, 4 main jets, two leak jets) in my WR and it's OK ... but from the MCN article I see that now there is more I could do ...
like using the Boyesen Quickshot or different pump rebuild kits.

I'm assuming some or all of these innovations could be applied to an FCR being used on the DR650.
Any thoughts on this?
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 12:12 PM   #74198
motolab
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Derek,
What about the consideration of things like squirt duration and angle, the use of different pump diaphragms, different post heights, and tuning with the leak jet.

Last month's MCN had a nice piece on tuning an FCR. It talked about the various elements in this carb and the various options and kits available to fine tune it to suit use.

I went through this back in '08 when setting up my '07 WR250F. Since then much more has been learned. I'm running a JD Jetting kit (3 needle tapers, 4 main jets, two leak jets) in my WR and it's OK ... but from the MCN article I see that now there is more I could do ...
like using the Boyesen Quickshot or different pump rebuild kits.

I'm assuming some or all of these innovations could be applied to an FCR being used on the DR650.
Any thoughts on this?
Of course tuning flexibility of any kind is a great, but in my experience there are instances where people unnecessarily engage in inordinate gymnastics with the pump when in fact the jetting is incorrect and should be tuned instead.

Regards,

Derek
Old 03-02-2013, 01:14 PM   #74199
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by motolab View Post
Some would argue that the TM is "more" adjustable, or more easily adjusted. On the FCR, all openings besides idle and WOT are controlled by needle shape and clip position. This may sound like an advantage, until you realize that for all intents an purposes, the needle must simultaneously have the correct diameters at heights that control 1/16, 1/8, 1/4, 1/2, and 3/4 openings (if the "dots are connected" then the areas between these openings should be acceptably close). On the other hand, the TM needle only has to have the correct diameters at heights that control 1/2 and 3/4 openings, as 1/16 and 1/8 openings can be controlled by the pilot jet size and 1/4 opening can be controlled by the needle jet size.

Some are annoyed by the heavier throttle pull of the TM.

Note that with slide carbs in general you are stuck, for a given throttle position, with whatever shape and slope of fuel delivery curve you have, i.e. if you have some lean areas at some rpm and some rich areas at some other rpm, that cannot reasonably be fixed. All that can be done is to move the entire curve up and down, i.e. add or subtract fuel for the entire throttle position. If you add fuel, you will fix the lean areas, while making the richer areas worse. If you subtract fuel, you will fix the rich areas while making the lean areas worse.

The compression and ignition timing on a DR are probably such that the improved cylinder filling afforded by a slide carb will nothing but beneficial, but I'd still want to have a look at NOX or a cylinder pressure trace to be sure. Perhaps a move to premium would be in order.

Regards,

Derek
What is the reasoning behind a change to premium fuel with just a carb change? I haven't heard of this before.
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Old 03-02-2013, 01:42 PM   #74200
motolab
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
What is the reasoning behind a change to premium fuel with just a carb change? I haven't heard of this before.
The sentence, "The compression and ignition timing on a DR are probably such that the improved cylinder filling afforded by a slide carb will nothing but beneficial, but I'd still want to have a look at NOX or a cylinder pressure trace to be sure" should explain that.

Regards,

Derek
Old 03-02-2013, 01:46 PM   #74201
Sammalamma
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by greener556 View Post
Thinking about relocating my key switch with a DRZ keyswitch and an HDB key switch mount. Has anyone done this? I thought I saw something a while back that you need to install a resistor on one of the wires?
Speak with Paul at HDB. He's the man that'll answer all of your questions above and beyond your expectations. He's an absolute pleasure to deal with.
"'Any bike's subframe is liable to crack with the extra weight of the luggage when travelling on corrugated dirt roads,' it said somewhere. Hmm, I thought... mental note: Strengthen subframe. Second mental note: Find out what subframe is." - Lois Pryce
Sammalamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 02:21 PM   #74202
badweatherbiker
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by badweatherbiker View Post
so I picked up some rear wheel bearings and seals yesterday and went with KML 6204 and 6205 mainly because that is all anyone had in stock locally. The seals are in question though, I have a 30-4709 and a 30-5207, does anyone know if these are the right ones?
im quoting myself but the seals I have are a fraction wider than the stockers will they work? they are not easy to put on.....
Old 03-02-2013, 02:39 PM   #74203
badweatherbiker
Studly Adventurer

something just doesnt seem right. the bearing wont turn on its own with these seals installed......
Old 03-02-2013, 03:59 PM   #74204
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRAVELGUY View Post
The kill switch. Press and release. I think that will cure your problem.

TravelGuy
I wish it would have.

------

I'll have some time to work on it tomorrow. I'm laying odds that it's the clutch switch or wiring to the clutch switch.
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Old 03-02-2013, 04:00 PM   #74205
greener556
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammalamma View Post
Speak with Paul at HDB. He's the man that'll answer all of your questions above and beyond your expectations. He's an absolute pleasure to deal with.

Thanks for the response, I'll call Monday..
greener556 is offline   Reply With Quote