Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-04-2013, 06:31 AM   #74281
TRAVELGUY
Old Traveler

Oddometer: 575
+1 on the Intiminators and the OEM brake hose.

TravelGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Childers View Post
I put a set of intiminators in my forks,stock springs and recommended 5 wt. oil and it made a huge difference......night and day! I run my bike hard off road and now it is supple in the rough stuff but not harsh my average speed in the gnarly stuff has picked up considerably since I did the change over.

To me braided brake lines make more sense on a sport bike or a super moto, I don't feel the need for them on my dirt mostly DR where a big hand full of front brake is not the best soloution.
DR650 '07
TRAVELGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:32 AM   #74282
shu

Oddometer: 979
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoPaRider View Post
YnotJP? or anyone else provide a link to Stu's Ride Report?

Thanks

Jeff

'09 DR650SE
It's 'shu', not stu.

Crossing the Euphrates River in Turkey

We started in Germany (shipped our bikes from US) rode to Italy, Greece, Turkey, Georgia, Azerbaijan, crossed the Caspian Sea to Turkmenistan... and on.

The DR did great. The only problem I had was a broken stock tail light assembly which I fixed with a knife and a bunch of duct tape.

Here's the ride report. Hope you enjoy it.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...a+2010+rocking

.............shu
shu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:14 AM   #74283
Falcon86
I just work here.

Oddometer: 1,630
Anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon86 View Post
I'm looking to buy a DR and came upon a good deal on Craigslist, bit seller said in the ad that the bike has an electrical problem. I emailed him and asked for details and this was the response.

"I had the bike looked at by a local shop and they diagnosed an original electrical issue as a post stator coil that had went bad. The part was replaced by the shop, and the bike began to run as it did before it went into the shop. However, down the line, the bike seemed to lose power but could restart if the bike cut out. I checked the battery and it seemes to have gone bad. So i'm unsure of the current electrical issue. It could be just the battery, but I have not bought a new one to find out. With a good mechanic and knowledge of electrical issues....coils, stators, wiring, and batteries. This may be a steal. At worst case senario the bike has very good parts. Mostly everything is OEM."

Any advice or ideas? Thank you!
If anyone has chased electrical gremlins on a DR and can chime in, I'd be very appreciative!
Falcon86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:28 AM   #74284
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Oddometer: 2,055
Quote:
If anyone has chased electrical gremlins on a DR and can chime in, I'd be very appreciative!
I haven't, BUT, the DR is sooo simple that if the price is right, it'd be worth grabbing. Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong, but, barring a short on the wiring harness, at most you're looking at a stator, regulator, and a battery. If you do a stator, grab the 250W high-output version (stock is 200). ProCycle has a nice, less-expensive regulator (I have one, it's nice), and batteries are just a matter of preference. I suppose after that, maybe a coil and wires, but even then, those are pretty cheap. CDI maybe? Again, not expensive.

Changing the stator isn't that big of a deal (I did mine last Summer), right after I did the regulator. Like anything, just take your time, and it helps to take photos along the way for reference.

Rob
'10 Kawasaki KLX351S #320
Rob.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:28 AM   #74285
doug s.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,237
Quote:
i have not had the pleasure, but everything i have read on this thread regarding electrical issues indicates nothing that would be a show stopper. even a full blown re-do of everything - wiring harness, battery, stator, switchers, etc - would be max $500, i would bet. and that, it seems to me, would be a "worst case" scenario. less if you are willing to do some work yourself, and buy used - ie wiring harness/etc...

so, imo, whether or not you should go for this particular bike, depends on what a "good deal" is, re: age/mileage/price/overall condition besides electrical gremlins/etc..

doug s.
doug s. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:43 AM   #74286
dljocky
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 834
Sorry Falcon, I have no mechanical know-how, but I do have a stator, minus the pick-up coil from a 2009 DR650. Pickup coil went bad at about 29K miles. Bike wouldn't start at all.

Quote:
dljocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:48 AM   #74287
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Valve Cores

Stupid question -- where in the heck can I buy a pack of valve cores? I'm tired of stealing them out of tubes. I'd rather just have a little baggie with a half dozen of them to carry with me as a just-in-case. I've searched several sites (e.g. Rocky Mountain ATV) and have come up core-less.

Rob
Old 03-04-2013, 08:51 AM   #74288
Falcon86
I just work here.

Oddometer: 1,630
Thanks very much guys!

Glad to hear those "worst-case" estimates.

Sounds like it may be worth a gamble.

Here's the CL ad:

http://richmond.craigslist.org/mcy/3656947867.html

I'm hoping he'll let it go for closer to $1k.

Falcon86 screwed with this post 03-04-2013 at 08:57 AM
Falcon86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:00 AM   #74289
Carl Childers
Ghost in the Machine

Oddometer: 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob.G View Post
Stupid question -- where in the heck can I buy a pack of valve cores? I'm tired of stealing them out of tubes. I'd rather just have a little baggie with a half dozen of them to carry with me as a just-in-case. I've searched several sites (e.g. Rocky Mountain ATV) and have come up core-less.

Rob
Anywhere from Walmart to NAPA
Old 03-04-2013, 09:28 AM   #74290
NWBoon
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
Need advice

A local motorcycle dealer has a brand new leftover 2011 DR650 for sale for $5900. Is there any sort of discount since it's 2 model years old but the same machine as this year's model? What would be a fair offer? I realize the dealer has to pay their folks and keep the lights on so I don't want to insult him. At the same time, I'd like to have some money left over to buy neat stuff from Procycle and Kientech.

Thanks in advance.
NWBoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:31 AM   #74291
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Childers View Post
Anywhere from Walmart to NAPA
Hahaha locally... what a concept! :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWBoon View Post
A local motorcycle dealer has a brand new leftover 2011 DR650 for sale for $5900. Is there any sort of discount since it's 2 model years old but the same machine as this year's model? What would be a fair offer? I realize the dealer has to pay their folks and keep the lights on so I don't want to insult him. At the same time, I'd like to have some money left over to buy neat stuff from Procycle and Kientech.
I don't think there's much markup in these. The key is if there are any rebates from Suzuki to get the price down. I hate to say it but $5500 may be the best you'll... but rather than offer that, just go in and be honest with him. Ask him about rebates... see how bad he wants to move it. Plus, you kinda have a choice between that one (white?) or a new one (gray). Which color do you prefer? :)

Rob
Old 03-04-2013, 09:43 AM   #74292
doug s.
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Thanks very much guys!

Glad to hear those "worst-case" estimates.

Sounds like it may be worth a gamble.

Here's the CL ad:

http://richmond.craigslist.org/mcy/3656947867.html

I'm hoping he'll let it go for closer to $1k.
ya, i'd definitely say it's worth a gamble. not really a gamble, imo, at least not any more than buying anything used. plus the seller may take an even lower offer. but you better hurry; now that you posted the link here, someone may buy it out from under you!

doug s.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:46 AM   #74293
doug s.
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWBoon View Post

Thanks in advance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob.G View Post
I don't think there's much markup in these. The key is if there are any rebates from Suzuki to get the price down. I hate to say it but $5500 may be the best you'll... but rather than offer that, just go in and be honest with him. Ask him about rebates... see how bad he wants to move it. Plus, you kinda have a choice between that one (white?) or a new one (gray). Which color do you prefer? :)

Rob
the above is why i would not even bother making an offer. if you were happy w/stock, ok mebbe. even then, i would be hard pressed to buy a new dr650. i would much rather find a decent used one for $1500-$3k and use the extra money to make it mine.

doug s.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:51 AM   #74294
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,527
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug s. View Post
ya, i'd definitely say it's worth a gamble. not really a gamble, imo, at least not any more than buying anything used. plus the seller may take an even lower offer. but you better hurry; now that you posted the link here, someone may buy it out from under you!

doug s.
I might do two things to it - put it in fifth gear and try to spin the rear wheel against the compression (with the rear raised up off the ground of course), and then take a plug out and make sure it turns over without noise or a hang.

Seems like a clean bike.
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 10:03 AM   #74295
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Your guy is bit vague but probably cause he does not understand ... or remember the issue.

Could be two separate issues, since the bike ran after some part was replaced. (did the shop replace the Stator?) Could have also been the pick up coil (AKA: ignitor)

The DR should run fine even with a dead battery. It may not crank over ... but once running, should do OK.

If the seller is reasonably close to you ... I would take a NEW battery with you (and some tools) ... install it. If the bike has been sitting a long time (typical of bikes for sale) then the Carb or fuel filters may be gunked up. So may not be an electrical problem at all.

Drain float bowl first. Then add fresh fuel and ditch old fuel in tank if it's been there more than 4 months. If bike runs, but runs poorly, could be a clogged Pilot Jet.

Worst case scenario would be if you have to buy a new Stator. Around $400 and not many used ones come up. I doubt that is the issue. More likely the Carb needs a cleaning, filters cleaned.

Bring a VOM with you (Volt/Ohm meter) and check output at the battery.
At fast idle it should be around 13.5 to 14.2 volts. Could be the Regulator/Rectifier but that would be very unusual. OR .... could be the Pick up coil mentioned above. This is a more common failure and not too expensive.

One red flag for me would be if someone has hacked into the stock wiring harness trying to add accessories. Pull the headlight Cowl and the fuel tank. Check out the main wiring harness. If all stock, then no prob. Also look around battery to see if there are other NON STOCK wires hooked up. If not, good to go. I would not buy the bike without riding it, going through the gears and getting it fully HOT and having a close listen. 90% sure it's all good. These bikes rarely break. Good luck.

Adv Grifter screwed with this post 03-04-2013 at 10:46 AM
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote