Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2013, 12:17 PM   #74326
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by bross View Post
I wish I would have had my DR650 on this ride. I was running 22/25 PSI in the TKCs.

This was the easier part, it got steep and rocky and I made it through on the Tiger without too much difficulty, but it would have actually been fun on the DR.

PS The Tiger made it through a couple spills with no damage but it sure ain't a dirt bike, especially in my hands.
You done good! I've never ridden a XC Tiger off road ... but on my V- Strom I ended up like you ... on my ass. Tires and pressures only go so far on a bike like the Tiger XC or VStrom. Weight is not your friend.

The DR, with good knobbies and low pressures, does OK in deep sand ... but you still need good rider technique to make it through. I did similar stuff in Baja on my DR ... and once I got "up to speed" (mostly in my head), I did OK. I kept speeds mild and the 'ol DR just motor'd through. What is hard in deep sand is if you come to deep wash outs or tight S curves ... getting through those in foot deep sand is not easy ... and I fell a couple times doing it on the DR. A heavy luggage load makes it even more challenging.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 12:20 PM   #74327
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,838
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
You done good! I've never ridden a XC Tiger off road ... but on my V- Strom I ended up like you ... on my ass. Tires and pressures only go so far on a bike like the Tiger XC or VStrom. Weight is not your friend.

The DR, with good knobbies and low pressures, does OK in deep sand ... but you still need good rider technique to make it through. I did similar stuff in Baja on my DR ... and once I got "up to speed" (mostly in my head), I did OK. I kept speeds mild and the 'ol DR just motor'd through. What is hard in deep sand is if you come to deep wash outs or tight S curves ... getting through those in foot deep sand is not easy ... and I fell a couple times doing it on the DR. A heavy luggage load makes it even more challenging.
Riding a gear lower than you usually would and keeping the revs high and the wheel spinning was the ticket in the sand of southern NJ. (sugar sand)
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 12:58 PM   #74328
Tex76
Motersykle Advntyers

Oddometer: 866
Quote:
Originally Posted by gofast1320 View Post
Just want to ride and not fall over so much.
I think you summed up how we all feel lol
The Lost Texan, Wanders East
Tex76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 01:21 PM   #74329
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 7,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by gofast1320 View Post
Hey Kommando. Enlighten me on the 30 PSI figure. When I checked my DR650 w/knobbies tire pressure today both had 20 PSI so I bumped them up to 30 and promptly busted my butt not once, not twice but three times in deep sand. Wasn't going fast at all (or my 61 yr old self would have broke something). Seems like front tire wanted to do one thing then rear another and I'm wadded up going OOOOOOFFF!. Any hints other than sell the bike?
Yup, even a good knobby needs to be at an appropriate pressure to do it's best. I often drop to 15-20psi in the sand. I don't have rimlocks. This IS going to vary with the weight of the bike and it's payload, the stiffness of the tires, whether or not a rimlock is used, and on the likelihood of encountering hard objects in the sand like rocks and roots. Experiment until you find what works best for you. Even at 22psi (street pressure), I notice a big difference between the stock front Trailwing and the AMS Sand Snake knobby in the soft stuff.

As far as technique, I'm no expert, but this is what seems to work for me...I try to get my weight back, stand up, stay loose, and stay on the gas until I'm ready to turn. When I want to turn, I come down to the seat as far forward as I can get, (I might downshift, if needed.) kick my inside leg as far forward as I can while keeping my toes pointed up and a slight bend still in my knee, and stay on the gas. A lot of the time, I'll give it even more gas through the apex to get the back end around and to get the bike back up to planing speed. If there's a berm, I use it, but I'm not usually throwing a shower of sand from the top. I still fall , but I don't dread riding pillowy sand for miles at a time on the DR.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 02:04 PM   #74330
Obard
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Off idle stumble

I recently put the ProCycle jet kit with air box mod and twin air filter in the DR. I'm happy with everything, but now I have this issue where from idle if I give it any throttle, it dies. If I blip the throttle I can move without killing it. Is this idle mixture screw adjustment, or something else?
Obard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 02:43 PM   #74331
Harry94025
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon86 View Post
Very true, I completely forgot about that issue.

Thanks alot!

Maybe I'm better of pony'ing up a bit more cash for a newer DR.
Falcon86,

My 99, purchased in '09 had the solid gear and was ok after 24k miles. I could tell the stator case had not been removed; the fasteners had not been touched. I negotiated a $200 price reduction and changed the gear within a couple of weeks: http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...7#post13437857 It is an easy part to change - took all of 15 minutes...

Regards,
Harry
Harry94025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 05:14 PM   #74332
shasta650
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
main jet/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obard View Post
I recently put the ProCycle jet kit with air box mod and twin air filter in the DR. I'm happy with everything, but now I have this issue where from idle if I give it any throttle, it dies. If I blip the throttle I can move without killing it. Is this idle mixture screw adjustment, or something else?
Sounds weird,but had the same problem and going down a size on the main jet cured it!
Old 03-05-2013, 05:17 PM   #74333
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,346
Quote:
Originally Posted by shasta650 View Post
Sounds weird,but had the same problem and going down a size on the main jet cured it!
The main jet cured off idle hesitation? I find that just a little hard to believe. It's not even in use at that point.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:04 PM   #74334
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
The main jet cured off idle hesitation? I find that just a little hard to believe. It's not even in use at that point.
I agree ... but would defer to Derek's (Motolab) opinion here.

IMHO, it may be a clogged pilot jet. You could try adjusting the Fuel/Air screw to cure the off idle bog/stalling, not sure if that would help but its easy to test out. Good luck!
Old 03-05-2013, 07:13 PM   #74335
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,926
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
I agree ... but would defer to Derek's (Motolab) opinion here.

IMHO, it may be a clogged pilot jet. You could try adjusting the Fuel/Air screw to cure the off idle bog/stalling, not sure if that would help but its easy to test out. Good luck!
Obard:
I'm thinking idle mixture screw too, where is yours set?

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:41 PM   #74336
JagLite
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,095
Cool2 wind deflectors

Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
My cold weather DR setup.
Screen/mounts & handguards all come off in a few minutes.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=107

Wow, those are huge!
I bet they really help with the cold though.
Do they bend with wind speed?
James
JagLite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:46 PM   #74337
Mongle
Knuckle dragger

Oddometer: 2,619
Quote:
Mine had an off idle stumble (never died) and a 1/4 turn in on the mixture screw solved it. I found my dr likes a lean idle.

From the factory the screw was bottomed out...drove it like that for a year. Go figure.
Mongle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:02 PM   #74338
BK.RD.RNR
Torque Stick

Oddometer: 5,447
Quote:
Originally Posted by Load Clear View Post
Thanks guys, for the info.

Grifter - I've mountain biked and hiked quite a bit in the area. I love it.

With the knobbies - any of them you would want to ride a 400 mile asphalt round trip on? lot's of off-roading out my front door but I have a 180 mile ride "to town" & such. No way I would want to change tires every weekend. Plus, I'll want to be off-road in those places too

Just curious - why not the K&N filter?

I just happened to wander in here, and I realize you will find as many different opinions about tires, as you will oil or anything else.

I would recommend you check out the MotoZ Tractionator H/t for a rear tire. It provides surprisingly good traction on all surfaces, including pavement since it's made from real rubber. I get well over 3000 miles out of a rear on my 690 Enduro on all surfaces including spirited pavement rides They should last considerably longer on a DR.

I only get about 700 out of an MT21. Brapp offroad is a northeast distributor for MotoZ, and the owner, Marty Graver, is a great guy to deal with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaljockey View Post
None of us are exceptionally skilled riders (excepting when I'm drunk, then I'm fcking quick).
BK.RD.RNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:43 PM   #74339
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK.RD.RNR View Post
I just happened to wander in here, and I realize you will find as many different opinions about tires, as you will oil or anything else.

I would recommend you check out the MotoZ Tractionator H/t for a rear tire. It provides surprisingly good traction on all surfaces, including pavement since it's made from real rubber. I get well over 3000 miles out of a rear on my 690 Enduro on all surfaces including spirited pavement rides They should last considerably longer on a DR.

I only get about 700 out of an MT21. Brapp offroad is a northeast distributor for MotoZ, and the owner, Marty Graver, is a great guy to deal with.
I like the look of the HT tread pattern ... too bad its not made in a 17" size. Nice tire ... but at $93 ... a bit pricey.
Also ... says "5% wet". Does not sound promising for maintaining pace on wet pavement. Experience on wet roads at speed?

Don't want to end up like these two KTM riders I helped pull up the hill, out of the ditch. They both passed me ... then went promptly OFF THE ROAD at the next turn! (both unhurt)

Old 03-05-2013, 08:56 PM   #74340
TrophyHunter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,111
Quote:
Originally Posted by JagLite View Post
Wow, those are huge!
I bet they really help with the cold though.
Do they bend with wind speed?
JagLite - The Giant Loop site has quite a few pics of the Bushwacker handguards. They ship flat and have several mounting hole options and bend to fit many set ups. I imagine there's some give with the wind but haven't tried 'em. I like my other GL stuff so I'll keep them in mind...along with the Hippo Hands if I have a trip planned where they'd be useful.

"It's a small amount of gas, but it represents a long walk" My Dad...
TrophyHunter is offline   Reply With Quote