Old 03-05-2013, 06:41 PM   #74326
JagLite
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,439
Cool2 wind deflectors

Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
My cold weather DR setup.
Screen/mounts & handguards all come off in a few minutes.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=107

Wow, those are huge!
I bet they really help with the cold though.
Do they bend with wind speed?
James
JagLite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:46 PM   #74327
Mongle
Knuckle dragger

Oddometer: 3,293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obard View Post
I recently put the ProCycle jet kit with air box mod and twin air filter in the DR. I'm happy with everything, but now I have this issue where from idle if I give it any throttle, it dies. If I blip the throttle I can move without killing it. Is this idle mixture screw adjustment, or something else?
Mine had an off idle stumble (never died) and a 1/4 turn in on the mixture screw solved it. I found my dr likes a lean idle.

From the factory the screw was bottomed out...drove it like that for a year. Go figure.
Mongle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:02 PM   #74328
BK.RD.RNR
Torque Stick

Oddometer: 5,897
Quote:
Originally Posted by Load Clear View Post
Thanks guys, for the info.

Grifter - I've mountain biked and hiked quite a bit in the area. I love it.

With the knobbies - any of them you would want to ride a 400 mile asphalt round trip on? lot's of off-roading out my front door but I have a 180 mile ride "to town" & such. No way I would want to change tires every weekend. Plus, I'll want to be off-road in those places too

Just curious - why not the K&N filter?

I just happened to wander in here, and I realize you will find as many different opinions about tires, as you will oil or anything else.

I would recommend you check out the MotoZ Tractionator H/t for a rear tire. It provides surprisingly good traction on all surfaces, including pavement since it's made from real rubber. I get well over 3000 miles out of a rear on my 690 Enduro on all surfaces including spirited pavement rides They should last considerably longer on a DR.

I only get about 700 out of an MT21. Brapp offroad is a northeast distributor for MotoZ, and the owner, Marty Graver, is a great guy to deal with.
BK.RD.RNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:43 PM   #74329
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by BK.RD.RNR View Post
I just happened to wander in here, and I realize you will find as many different opinions about tires, as you will oil or anything else.

I would recommend you check out the MotoZ Tractionator H/t for a rear tire. It provides surprisingly good traction on all surfaces, including pavement since it's made from real rubber. I get well over 3000 miles out of a rear on my 690 Enduro on all surfaces including spirited pavement rides They should last considerably longer on a DR.

I only get about 700 out of an MT21. Brapp offroad is a northeast distributor for MotoZ, and the owner, Marty Graver, is a great guy to deal with.
I like the look of the HT tread pattern ... too bad its not made in a 17" size. Nice tire ... but at $93 ... a bit pricey.
Also ... says "5% wet". Does not sound promising for maintaining pace on wet pavement. Experience on wet roads at speed?

Don't want to end up like these two KTM riders I helped pull up the hill, out of the ditch. They both passed me ... then went promptly OFF THE ROAD at the next turn! (both unhurt)

Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:56 PM   #74330
TrophyHunter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,312
Quote:
Originally Posted by JagLite View Post
Wow, those are huge!
I bet they really help with the cold though.
Do they bend with wind speed?
JagLite - The Giant Loop site has quite a few pics of the Bushwacker handguards. They ship flat and have several mounting hole options and bend to fit many set ups. I imagine there's some give with the wind but haven't tried 'em. I like my other GL stuff so I'll keep them in mind...along with the Hippo Hands if I have a trip planned where they'd be useful.
Old 03-05-2013, 08:16 PM   #74331
BK.RD.RNR
Torque Stick

Oddometer: 5,897
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
I like the look of the HT tread pattern ... too bad its not made in a 17" size. Nice tire ... but at $93 ... a bit pricey.
Also ... says "5% wet". Does not sound promising for maintaining pace on wet pavement. Experience on wet roads at speed?
I forgot about the 17" rear wheel.

I have tried a lot of the different mainstream DS tires, and the MotoZ are as good as any under most riding conditions found in the NorthEast. Save the D606 in mud.

I have ridden them plenty in the rain on pavement, wet/ mossy rocks, mud, slick dirt roads, gravel and 2 track. I would not plan on being able to stop on demand at speed on mud, but they are very predictable. And outlast a 606 three to one. Worth every penny, and still less expensive than the German brands.
BK.RD.RNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:24 PM   #74332
shu

Oddometer: 1,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrophyHunter View Post
JagLite - The Giant Loop site has quite a few pics of the Bushwacker handguards. They ship flat and have several mounting hole options and bend to fit many set ups. I imagine there's some give with the wind but haven't tried 'em. I like my other GL stuff so I'll keep them in mind...along with the Hippo Hands if I have a trip planned where they'd be useful.
Hippo Hands work for me. Big, ugly, and functional. Perfect.

............shu
shu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:31 PM   #74333
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:

I have tried a lot of the different mainstream DS tires, and the MotoZ are as good as any under most riding conditions found in the NorthEast. Save the D606 in mud.

I have ridden them plenty in the rain on pavement, wet/ mossy rocks, mud, slick dirt roads, gravel and 2 track. I would not plan on being able to stop on demand at speed on mud, but they are very predictable. And outlast a 606 three to one. Worth every penny, and still less expensive than the German brands.
Where are they made? Any idea? Maybe we could drop a note to them and see about a 130/17 size for the DR, KLR, G and F BMW 650's, and a whole bunch of other bikes.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 09:13 PM   #74334
neo1piv014
ADV in training

Oddometer: 627
The first time I ever saw "bar muffs" like those, I thought they were the dumbest thing I'd ever laid eyes on. However, after they quite literally saved my hands from frostbite when my buddy loaned them to me on a trip, I got a very different attitude. If I were going on a long trip where I knew there'd be cold weather, I'd slap a set of those on there without a second thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shu View Post
Hippo Hands work for me. Big, ugly, and functional. Perfect.

............shu
"The impossible often has a kind of integrity which the merely improbable lacks."
neo1piv014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 09:35 PM   #74335
motolab
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,863
Quote:
Originally Posted by shasta650 View Post
Sounds weird,but had the same problem and going down a size on the main jet cured it!
It's not a good idea to try to tune the off-idle mixture with the main jet. Of course it is possible that installing the correct main jet for WOT operation coincidentally cures an off idle problem, but the overlap is minimal enough that the circuit responsible for whatever opening the problem occurred at (to me, off idle is up to 1/16 opening, but once the rider actually determines what the opening is, it sometimes turns out it's actually 1/8 or perhaps more) should still be looked at.

Regards,

Derek
motolab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 09:44 PM   #74336
motolab
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,863
Quote:
IMHO, it may be a clogged pilot jet.
Agreed, but it could also be too rich at low rpm based on the use of the DJ needle (needle shape affects the shape of the fuel delivery curve at most openings).
Quote:
You could try adjusting the Fuel/Air screw to cure the off idle bog/stalling, not sure if that would help but its easy to test out.
The most proper way to refer to the idle mixture screw (aka pilot screw) on a BST carb is as a fuel screw, as it does not adjust fuel and air simultaneously. There are things called air screws on carbs where you adjust the idle mixture by changing the quantity of air being bled into the pilot circuit. The reason this is important is that a fuel screw makes the idle mixture richer by screwing out and leaner by screwing in, whereas an air screw makes the idle mixture richer by screwing in, and leaner by screwing out. Fuel screws are usually on the downstream side of the slide, and air screws are usually on the upstream side (although I have seen occasional exceptions).

That said, the fuel screw should be adjusted for best idle, or 2-4% CO when warmed up all the way. If there is an issue at other than idle, the responsible circuit should be tuned (i.e. pilot jet size for 1/16-1/8 opening, clip position for 1/4 opening, etc.).

Regards,

Derek
motolab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:14 PM   #74337
BombayG
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Right for me?

Hey guys, First post and I'm glad to have found this community! You guys seem very involved, knowledgeable and passionate about bikes!

I have one question: I am looking for a nice dual sport to take around town (I live near Los Angelese so i need one that can go on the freeway rides, city/town rides and I also want to take it off roading once in a while). That being said after my minimal research I came to the conclusion that the DR 650 post 2003 is a good choice for both freeway riding and off roading.

I am 6'4, 185lbs (of muscle :P). I want to eventuall take the bike on long distances (probably from cali to lets say new york?) or maybe even overseas and do some sight seeing. I want the bike to be reliable, comfortable, easy to fix (no fixing is best but if it does I want to be easy to fix it).

Is the DR650 right for me? Is there any problems associated with them (frame, engine, etc..?). I have never had a bike before, this would be my first one so I am a newbb! go easy on me with the limboo lol
BombayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:32 PM   #74338
BergDonk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,934
Motoz

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
Where are they made? Any idea? Maybe we could drop a note to them and see about a 130/17 size for the DR, KLR, G and F BMW 650's, and a whole bunch of other bikes.
Design and R&D in Oz, made in Thailand like so many things these days. And of course cheaper to buy in the US than here, also like so many other things.

http://www.motoz.com.au/shop_prods.asp?CatID=166

I currently have a 110/18 H/T on my DR up back and its very impressive the way it finds traction on ball bearing gravel in particular. Very lumpy ride on smooth surfaces won't suit some though. A rib up the middle would be helpful for life and ride, but would likely compromise drive.

Life might equal a 606, but to be confirmed. Definitely won't outlast a 606 for me for though. I also have a 130/18 to try, but I also have some others to try and wear out too like a Mefo Stone Master.

Should be out riding again in a few weeks after some knee surgery, I hope, and then I'll know more about how long they last.

Old 03-05-2013, 11:53 PM   #74339
LexTalionis
Inciteful

Oddometer: 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richguzzi View Post
Is that OTD? I paid $6,400 w tax/license/fees in CA, for my brand new 2012 with 0% financing.
Just that alone made the purchase acceptable to SWMBO....
That new paint color must be very expensive. Same Bay Area, but 2009: OTD at $5,400, cash.

Lex
Old 03-05-2013, 11:53 PM   #74340
Obard
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
More info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obard View Post
I recently put the ProCycle jet kit with air box mod and twin air filter in the DR. I'm happy with everything, but now I have this issue where from idle if I give it any throttle, it dies. If I blip the throttle I can move without killing it. Is this idle mixture screw adjustment, or something else?
It seems that if I leave the "choke" (or is it an enrichner) on, it won't die when I add throttle.
Obard is offline   Reply With Quote